PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Tail Challenge April 22nd - Linden, TN

1cor1422
03-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Has anyone rode this trail in Jackson, TN? Just curious what it is like. Are any of you planning to race there on the 22nd of April?

Reedly
03-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Heven't ridden this trail yet, but everything I've heard is that it's awesome!!

Jason Glover was researching and looking for more info about the trail - Jason...any news?

I'm definitely heading down there for the race!! Can't wait!

Orange
03-28-2007, 12:40 PM
I probably won't get to do that race as we'll be out of town that weekend. I originally thought we were scheduled to go the previous weekend (Braggin' Rights), but it is the weekend of the 21st.

:goteam:

billwilliams70
03-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Is it the Young Park MTB Trails? That's the only trail I can find in Jackson.......here's some links:

http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trails/trails.php?state=8&trail=230
http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-tennessee/trail/PRD_302723_4578crx.aspx

Later.

TNcaveman
03-28-2007, 01:03 PM
It's at Mousetail Landing State Park on the east side of the Tennessee River. It's located about 30 to 45 minutes south of I-40.
At home, I think I looked up some maps of the site and area and might have them bookmarked. Looks pretty rugged in the area. There is apparantly no bike trail map (unless one has been added since about a month ago). It is seperate from a majority of the hiking trails. I have heard that is is a very fun trail - Little Pink Titus loves it!

Chime in Titus

Steve

billwilliams70
03-28-2007, 02:12 PM
It's at Mousetail Landing State Park on the east side of the Tennessee River. It's located about 30 to 45 minutes south of I-40.
At home, I think I looked up some maps of the site and area and might have them bookmarked. Looks pretty rugged in the area. There is apparantly no bike trail map (unless one has been added since about a month ago). It is seperate from a majority of the hiking trails. I have heard that is is a very fun trail - Little Pink Titus loves it!

Chime in Titus

Steve
Well, here's some stuff that I found on Mousetail Landing:
http://tennessee.gov/environment/parks/MousetailLanding/
Doesn't make any mention of biking though......

Later.

Jason-G
03-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Here is a link to the schedule of events from USA cycling.

http://www.usacycling.org/events/getflyer.php?permit=2007-957

1cor1422
03-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Will there be as many riders as CT at this race or is it on a smaller scale?

TNcaveman
03-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Likely smaller - It's not a SERC race.

Steve

kindacreeky
03-29-2007, 07:49 AM
I have not ridden it, but some of my friends go there pretty often. Jeff and Wendy Scott, and Joe and Laura Sweeney ride there. The trail is in the park, and is on the banks of the Tennessee River. It is hilly. It was built mostly by Bill Buchingham, and as I understand it, he is the principal maintainer of late. It has been there for 5-6 yrs, but had gotten grown over until last year, when he and the folks mentioned above did some work to clear it out, and establish the trail again. I will see if I can get one of these folks to describe it better here, and tell you how to find the trail if you go to practice ride it.

Reedly
03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks Bob!!

On that note - does anyone know if the trail is always open for public riding or if we'll need permission to pre-ride previous to the Saturday before race-day? It'd be great to make it to the trail a couple times before the race if possible. :thumb:

Jason-G
03-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Here is my reply from Jeff Scott Team MOAB.

I spoke with Gib Moorhead with the Jackson Spoke club last night. They just finalized their Race flyer and it should be out soon. The park is easy to find but in the middle of no where. That is why no one from Nashville rides this trail. I believe it is a hidden jewel. It is about 1 hour and a half from west Nashville and about 2 hours from Nashville. Just follow the park directions on the web site. The trail head is hard to find and the trail crosses over the hiking trail several times. You are going to be surprise of the difficulty of this trail, lots of steep long climbs. It is only about 7-7.5 miles but feels more like 10 or 11 after one lap. I plan to go there and ride on Easter Sunday the 8th or Monday the 9th. If you would like to plan a trip with your club, team moab and maybe a couple of guys from Jackson on one of those days let me know which is best. You can follow me down from Nashville and I will show you the trail. If you plan to go before then, email me back and I will try to give you direction to the trail head or you can stop by the park office on your way in and get direction from one of the park rangers. I think it is better to go with someone who is familiar with the trail on you first trip/ride there.I can't go this weekend because I am going to Tsail for the SERC race on Sunday.

Jeff Scott
Team MOAB

Maybe we can get a group ride going down there with these guys.

Thanks Jeff for the info.

Daniel
03-30-2007, 08:04 PM
That would be good.

Reedly
04-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Is this trail open during weekdays for pre-riding in the next week or so? With the races and mtb trips it'll be difficult to get down there on a weekend for some of us.

Anyone reading this thread who is ultra-familiar with the area?

Thanks!!

Dook of Moots
04-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Yes this trail is open for riding any time. The park is near Linden,TN and easy to find. But the trail head is not so easy to find if you've never been there before. In fact I rode there several times this winter when other trails in Middle Tn were wet. I may go there and ride Mon or Tues next week. The weather looks like it will be little warmer than on Sun. I believe the Jackson Spoke guys will be there on Sat cleaning and marking the trail. If you are interested in riding Mon or Tues let me know and you can meet me at the rest stop outside of Dickson on I-40 w and follow me to the trail.

Jeff Scott

Reedly
04-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks Jeff!! I may very well take you up on the offer for Mon or Tue. At this point I'm shooting more toward Tue based on the weekend riding plans...but I'll post more up Saturday night for sure!!

I'm guessing there won't be much riding together once we get to the trail head:thumb: - but your help getting there will be greatly appreciated, the next time I'd see you would likely be at the race!!

I'll try to post something up in the Upcoming Events section by Saturday night if someone hasn't already by then!!

Thanks!

Dook of Moots
04-06-2007, 10:16 AM
I think you are selling your self short. I know how you ride. You will be able to keep up just fine. I'm just a middle age guy trying to play a young man's' game, Be fore warned Bring your climbing legs when you come. 7.5 mile trail with 900ft of climbing. Just my opion but I think that this is the hardest 7 miles in Tennessee. Excluding Tanasi of course. Yes harder than the yellow trail at MB ,Hammy or the trail of tears at CT. When ever I've ridden there I usally only ride 2 laps. Very few times have I've ridden 3 laps. The first time I rode my single speed there I was still seeing double vision half way back to, Nashville . It has about good 6 good climbs. One about mile 6 that is appox a half long. We call it Bump and grind. Man those climbs HURT so GOOD. I can't wait to see the pain on everyones face come April 21st. The reason no one around Nashville knows much about this trail is because it it is in the middle of no where and is only 7 miles of trail. It is usally grown up in the summer time because no is riding there much during race season. There is only about 20 people that proably has ever ridden there. It is rugged, rocky steep and off camber in a lot of places. Mostly single track with some fire road climbs. Not everyone will like this trail. Mostly because it very NATURAL..Not buff.Not much benching has been done. Bill Buckingham and the guys from Jackson clean it up every Winter and it growns back up every summer. I'm sure starting this weekend the trail and trail head will well mark because of the up coming race.

Jeff Scott

Jason-G
04-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Here is the official flyer for the race.

http://www.jacksonspokes.com/2007%20Mousetail%20Flyer.pdf

Anyone staying overnight before the race? This would be a early morning start for me and I'd kinda like to pre-ride the day before.

Daniel
04-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Bikeme, you may have just Scaredme off. Seriously, that sounds like a tough trail to race sight unseen.

Reedly
04-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Hey Jeff!!

Wow, you've made this one sound like quite a tough course!! I guess that's good for DSG training the next weekend. As of this weekend, I can now say I've seen the climbing at Tanasi, and it's for real there - if the downhills are anything like Tanasi it'll be a blast though if we've got any energy left after the climbs!

Do you have a preference of Monday or Tuesday to head over there? I didn't ride Fayetteville today as planned, so I'll be good with either day for Mousetail. Seems like Tue may be bringing some rain? 40% at this point...Guess we'll see about that!

Daniel - even if the climbs are big and bad, you'll be in good shape out there!! I've seen your riding first hand and for several hours in a row now! :goteam:

Anyone else have Mon or Tue off and interested in pre-riding mousetail?

Dook of Moots
04-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Here is the plan man. Ayone who is interested in riding Mouse tail tomorrow April 9th. You can meet me at the rest stop about 1 mile pass the second Dickson exit on I-40W.I think it is Mile marker 172 or 173. I know it is the first rest stop ouside of Nashveille. I plan to be there about 9:45a.m. I will leave the res stop about 10:00a.m. That will put us at he trail head about 11:00a.m. Come one come all! come and get your CLIMB ON!

Jeff Scott

Reedly
04-08-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm there!! Thanks Jeff!

Anyone else want to go check out the trail for the race in two weeks!?

Robert
04-08-2007, 07:28 PM
I rode 3 laps at Mousetail today. I really enjoyed the trail. It has decent flow but you will know within the first mile or two of this course that you will be climbing and climbing and climbing. This trail is in a very natural state with a lot of off-camber areas, including the switchbacks. I also biked the road around the park and there are a lot of climbs in it as well. From where I parked my car to the trail and back was about 7.7 miles. You guys have a good ride tomorrow. The trail is very well marked. Not sure if I am racing this but wanted to check it out and Sundays are my only day for me to travel. Work, you know. :frusty:

Robert

Dook of Moots
04-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Robert I knew you would ride 3 laps. There is no way you would drive 2 hours to ride less than 20 miles on your Mountain bike. You are an animal. If you ever go back to Mouse tail ride one of your laps backwards of the race loop. In a counter clockwise direction. The steep switchbacks are a lot fun in that direction
Jeff Scott

Reedly
04-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Hey Jeff - I shot you an email last night with my cell number, if you get a chance, you might want to put it in your phone in case something goes drastically wrong this morning!!

I'm about to head out, (10 minutes of gathering crap, etc...) assuming it'll take about an hour for me to get to exit 172-ish off of I-40. Feel fre to call if you need to for anything.

See you there!

Daniel
04-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Reed - I'm anxious to hear what you thought of the trail.

Reedly
04-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Jeff - thanks a ton for meeting up and showing me the way out to the Mousetail trail!! It's almost a 100% gaurantee that I would've gotten lost trying to find it on my own! Also, thanks for leading the way around the trail and showing me how someone who actually LIKES hills rides a trail like that!! Amazing how fast I was dropped on those hills! Good stuff!

Okay - trail report:

Hilly. ...and done.

Just kidding - sort of. Trail is hilly, but not un-doable. It's just that the hills are steeper and longer than all of the hills in and around the Nashville area. The good news is that there is pay-off for the climbs in the name of sweet down-hills!! Fast, flowy, long, downhills. But, it really is a "pay-off", meaning the down-hills don't come free!!

Hardtail or Suspension? I'm learning that my answer for this is different than those who normally ride hardtails at every trail. It's definitely doable on a hardtail, and those with ht experience will no-doubt find the trail perfect for themselves. However, that said, it's a bit rooty, some rocky climbs, fast downs with some dips, etc...I will be really happy at home on the full suspension bike, and it feels somewhat safe to say that if your'e new to your hardtail, it may benefit you to ride this on your fs!?!? (Disclaimer: I'm only mentioning this because several have asked me hardtail, or fs...my opinion will be biased, but in trying to be fair, I'd say fs as long as it's not a 37 lb uzzi!!)

The only big tips I can really give for the people racing are:

A.) Try to ride this trail at least once before the race. That knowledge will be HUGE in helping on race day!! Just to see how the hills are laid out, etc...

B.) If you don't ride the trail - DO ride somewhere, preferably somewhere with some hills!! Without some sort of hill training, it's gonna hurt to round the top of them at this trail. Again - very do-able, just not without some big effort!! (Remember the big downhill payoffs!!)

Can't wait for the race!! Definitely looking forward to another pre-ride sometime later in the week, or next week...

Daniel
04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Good deal, Thanks for the report.

I'll try and get some reps on the trail of tears or something.

Tumbler
04-11-2007, 08:21 AM
If I can talk myself into doing this one it will be my first (second ever) race of the season. I am still 50/50 on if I will do it. All I keep hearing is that it is hill and steep. When I hear that I think of insain 6 mile long fire roads.

I would like to ride it before the race but the only chance I will get before then is the day before the race. If I do it I don't want to be spent before I get started.

We'll see. Maybe I will quit being a sissy and just do it. :cry2: :twitcy:

kiersta
04-12-2007, 08:10 AM
I think I might do this race. I would want to camp Fri. night so I could pre-ride early Sat. (and have rest of the day to relax and recover).

Reed- what did your lap times look like? (I am just curious to what 3 laps might end up taking me to do if I decide to do this race.)

encyclopediabrown
04-12-2007, 10:02 AM
I would love to check this trail out but you people have me nervous about being able to locate it. Any suggestions????

Reedly
04-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Kiersta - sadly, we weren't timing our laps in any way that day!! We realized it after the first lap, and even mentioned that we should have probably timed it. Then we completely forgot again!?

Jeff - did you happen to look at your watch or anything before the second lap?

We weren't going full out pace, until the hills that is!! Every time we hit a hill Jeff lost me like I was changing a tire or something!! Weather permitting, I'd like to head down there again early next week. If no one else has posted up times, I'll gladly let you know then!! SOrry bout that!!

:doh:

danno
04-12-2007, 10:24 AM
It looks like I will be able to do a pre-ride next thursday the 19th... Reed, if you can't make it I'll be PM'ing you for some directions. Not sure of the time yet, I'll post up in a day or two.

schaarschmidt
04-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Just noticed this post.

SE Trail Guide info for Mousetail Landing State Park, with map of race course: http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trails/trails.php?state=8&trail=494

If any of you plan to pre-ride or race the course, please consider taking a couple of pictures and emailing them to me at info(@)sorbachattanooga.org so I can enhance the guide entry with them. I will be sure to give you credit for the photos in the "The following people or organizations have provided content for this page:" section of the page.

--> Jeffrey

Reedly
04-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Danno - You still available to ride Mousetail on Thursday? I'd still like to head over there for sure! Although I'm hoping you're not looking for a super top-speed race paced ride..? I'll try to hit the hills hard, but hopefully chill a bit and spin-recover on the few flats that are out there!!

If you're still in - let me know what time fits your schedule best - I'm good with any time Thursday!!

Jmac - you mentioned possibly being interested in this ride too - think you can make it? Anyone else?

Also - it appears that all of the information anyone could need about this race is now up online at...
http://www.jacksonspokes.com/page6.html

Jmac
04-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Jmac - you mentioned possibly being interested in this ride too - think you can make it? Anyone else?

As of now, I am still in for tomorrow. That could change, however, as the day goes on. I will keep you updated. Any ideas on time?

Reedly
04-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Awesome - that's a possible 3 riders for tomorrow!! ANyone else have a chance to get out there tomorrow?

As far as time, so far I'm leaving it entirely up to Danno - he's usually got work/school to contend with, though I can't remember what he said about his workload tomorrow. Do you have any constraints you'd like thrown out there?

danno
04-18-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm in like sin tomorrow! I've got class till about 9:15, then I'll be free as a bird the rest of the day. I'm guessing I can be on the road as early as 10:30 - 45.. so you guys let me know when your thinking about getting there.. :big_grin:

Reedly
04-18-2007, 01:26 PM
This sounds good to me!! And for your own records...it's a solid 45/50 minutes past Monty Bell on I40, so make sure to allow post-ride driving and all that with the respective others!

Jeremie - because I'm a bit short on brain waves - I've forgotten which area of town you live in. Since Danno's surely gonna take 840 over to 40 from Murf, I was wondering if you live near Antioch enough that you and I should carpool out there? If not, that's cool too - just checking the options!!

We can all meet at the rest area after the Dickson exit like I did with Jeff last week. That way we'll all get lost together trying to follow hwy 438, and since there's no cell service out there, etc....

Jmac
04-18-2007, 01:47 PM
... not very far from you. So, it would be cool if we could car pool. Let me know what you want to do.

Reedly
04-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Cool Jeremie! Do you have the ability to take 2 bikes in your truck? Or would you rather I took the bikes on my trunk rack? Either way is fine with me - we could do the gas splitting thing both ways, etc...

Haha - once we get this part out of the way it'll all be downhill from here!! (the good kind)

Oh - for the directions to and fro eachother's homes - let's use the PM dealio - or even phones for that, no need for people like Danno or Sonny to have our home address!! LOL

517-zero246

Tumbler
04-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Still waiting for the middle finger smiley...:thumb:

FYI... I think it would be best if I continue to sit on the sidelines as far as racing goes. I hope to be in one or two races but cannot commit to anything. Since DS&G is already paid for I will most definitely make that one.

Reedly
04-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Just the first couple of names I could come up with!! :beer:

Sonny - you know I'll always fight for your rights to ride and race - but if ya can't make it to any - ya just can't!! Later in the year is the 2nd chickasaw race and then the lock 4's, etc...maybe you'll be to make it to those a little easier!? If not - I know we'll see you out on the trails sometime soon!

Jmac
04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
I knew this would happen!:mad: I am out for tomorrow. I have to work! I was really looking foward to this. You guys have fun tomorrow.

Jmac
04-18-2007, 04:28 PM
... not very far from you. So, it would be cool if we could car pool. Let me know what you want to do.

Don't know what happened there :oops: Half of my post was cut out. Sorry if that didn't make sense! Once again, I am out for tomorrow. Gotta work. Stupid job! :frusty:

danno
04-18-2007, 07:50 PM
I just got the project done that was plaguing my life for the last week... whew!! Can't wait to ride a bike again! Looking forward to this tomorrow!!

Reedly
04-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Hey Jeremie - on your post, I just editted the parts about our streets out for 'internet safety' purposes!! LOL - I did just get your message - went hiking this afternoon at Percy Warner, ouch, but man, that sucks that you've got to work tomorrow!! We'll see you out on the trails again soon though!!

The rest of the plan is to leave at 10:00am and then to meet at the rest area a mile or so after the Dickson exit 172/173 like last time.

If anyone still wants to join us let us know!! See ya there Danno!

Michael - you gonna make it? Or is that just way too early for your work schedule tomorrow?

Jmac
04-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Hey Jeremie - on your post, I just editted the parts about our streets out for 'internet safety' purposes!! LOL - I did just get your message - went hiking this afternoon at Percy Warner, ouch, but man, that sucks that you've got to work tomorrow!! We'll see you out on the trails again soon though!!

Ok. Gotcha! Thanks! :thumb: Have fun tomorrow.