Thread: New to mountain biking and the site.

Thanks

New to mountain biking and the site.

Just wanted to chime in and say hi! My fiance and I have decided to pick up mountain biking. We love the outdoors and this seems like a fun way to stay in shape.

We were just given two bikes (an outpost gt and a schwin highplains). Not great bikes I'm sure but at least they'll be able to let us know if we like the sport or not. The GT doesn't shift properly and I'll need to get it worked on, that's about all that's wrong with them.

I think we're going to try the trails in Franklin or Lock 4 first.

Nice to meet you all

Thanks
    Hi!
    I'm kind of new into the sport again after a long layoff and I would suggest Chickasaw Trace for starting out. Higher Ground is kind of hilly and Lock 4 is more technical, or so I've heard. CT is excellent, I didn't go this weekend due to the race but I'll be back next weekend.

Just MHO....Have fun!

Thanks
    NBNewb, welcome to the board and the sport! The sport is a great way to stay in shape and the board is an awesome vehicle to meet up with other riders and get riding related info. It's great that your fiance is starting out with you.

I think L4 would be a lot better starting point than CT. L4 has some technical areas but most can be cut out or ridden around. Hope to see you on the trails!
    Rick Dell
    Chumba XCL
    '06 Jeep Wrangler

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Welcome to the board.. feel free to post up for a ride, or just let us know how everything is going..

Love me a Schwinn..

C

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks

I recommend Lock 4 or Long Hunter to start out on. CT has some fairly tough climbs and steeper roller coaster type things that may be a bit scary and possibly dangerous for someone just starting out.
    Having said that, Chickasaw is rated very high on my list of trails. Once you get a few rides in you should definitely check it out!!

Cycling in any form is awesome and I'm glad to hear that you're trying it out
    -Dave

Jesus Died and Lived to Tell About It

Thanks
    Thanks for the responses! I talked to MOAB? The bike shop in the boro and they said they can fix up the bike (including shifters for me). I'm dropping it off Tues and picking it up Thurs. Probably going riding Friday. Not sure where yet. Looking forward to it though!

Thanks
    Definitely if you are new I would say Long Hunter to start out on and since you are in M'boro it is close. Hamilton Creek is the next closest that I know of, but I would not start out there if you want encouragement. I did but it was closest and I didn't know any better. You and your fiance have fun and enjoy. MOAB is a good shop BTW.
    Kris

'05 Marin Mill Valley
    '06 Marin Wolf Ridge

"Those who forget their past are destined to repeat it" - Santayana

http://www.blueheavenrental.com Florida Panhandle vacation spot.

Thanks
    Yeah, I didn't realize long hunter was that close. We're going to hit that up Friday. We went riding around the apartments today, getting used to the bikes. It was fun. We're excited!

I talked to MOAB. I'm getting a new seat, pedals, new shifters, and maintenance done on the bike Thursday before we go out. Her bike was serviced recently.

Thread Information