Thread: Maintaining the Integrity of the Trail - Hamilton Creek

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts

Maintaining the Integrity of the Trail - Hamilton Creek

After riding HC a few times over the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of go arounds, cut throughs and rocks positioned in bad places; like in the middle of the trails. These trail "improvements" are quite dangerous. There are people who ride this trail exclusively and frequently and are expecting certain pieces of the trail to be there - or not be there.

I'm not wanting to sound like I'm getting on anyone, but if you are making go arounds, cut throughs, (if you want to cut through, fine, just don't make a trail ) or moving rocks and what not, please stop. People like the trail the way it is and you will become a better rider if you learn to overcome these obstacles. If you like, there are many group rides at Hammy and there are plenty of people who will show you some fun lines.

I am NOT talking about fallen trees in the trail - build what you need to make a way over a fallen tree, but making jumps out of a loose rock in the middle of the trail or removing things that have been there for years is dangerous to people who are flying through the trail expecting those things to be there and aren't expecting a giant rock in the middle of the trail. Please consider others!

Also, those cut through paths that I've seen emerging have some negative effects - they make the trail confusing to new riders. I've seen people out there totally lost because they took someones cut through. Go ahead and cut through if you are tired, or have a flat, just don't make a path. They also allow water to flow the wrong way and can erode and damage the trail.

I hope this is coming across in the way I'm intending it - just a simple plea. If you see anyone out there making changes, please ask them nicely to cease! Then call Chewie the Bounty Hunter

Thanks!

Tim Spencer

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,107 Posts
    I'm available....
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

Thanks

Question . . .

i have been on trails (specifically lock 4 and hamilton creek) following several dry days. then i hit a spot in the middle of the trail that might be damp/wet. is it better for trail integrity to ride the lines that have been ridden (such as really rutted ones) or is it better to go around that area, which often times widens the trail beyond its usual boundries? and yes, i do typically read on here to check trail conditions, but sometimes i run into this problem even when folks say the trail is good to go. any help in this matter would be appreciated as i am a fairly new rider and want to help in not damaging trails unecessarily. thanks in advance. -d

Thanks
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 661 Posts
    I am pretty sure it is not anyone who rides regularly or maybe even a member of this site. There are many unexperienced bikers who frequent the trail and I am sure they may have a lot to do with it. They think it is a public trail so they can publicly do whatever they want. Unfortunately it disrupts the flow of the trail. Everyone just needs to help in educating the community.

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barton24 View Post
    i have been on trails (specifically lock 4 and hamilton creek) following several dry days. then i hit a spot in the middle of the trail that might be damp/wet. is it better for trail integrity to ride the lines that have been ridden (such as really rutted ones) or is it better to go around that area, which often times widens the trail beyond its usual boundries? and yes, i do typically read on here to check trail conditions, but sometimes i run into this problem even when folks say the trail is good to go. any help in this matter would be appreciated as i am a fairly new rider and want to help in not damaging trails unecessarily. thanks in advance. -d
    Riding around them makes the problem bigger., but that is the only options sometimes. There are trouble spots in every trail that take forever to dry. In the late Winter early spring the trail will be 90% dry and we all go ride, but those trouble spots are always going to be there. I know there are places at HC that are chronically There is nothing that can be done about those sections short of a re-route. That sort of thing is not really the problem. Look at the west side of Lock 4 - that stays wet longer than the rest of the trail, it's lower and doesn't drain as well. When you come to a muddy section, I try to hop over it but sometimes end of riding around, even though it's not the "right" thing it's somewhat inevitable. The fact that you are aware, tells me you are doing the right thing: checking the conditions and try to avoid the mud the best you can. What is tough is people who drive an hour to a trail, see that it's muddy but then have so much invested in the trip they ride anyway. The only thing to help that is to post website info so people can check before they go. We've done pretty good with HC with the hamcreek.com website. It would be nice to have a lock 4, MB and Long Hunter trail conditions that could be updated by users.

Mud riding will always be a problem. We just have to keep on educating people the best we can and be nice to people on the trail. No one responds to a tounge lashing.

Tim
    Last edited by Uzzi; 03-25-2007 at 08:36 AM.

Thread Information