Thread: Shutes Branch Workday this SATURDAY!!!!!

Thanks

Shutes Branch Workday this SATURDAY!!!!!

Don't forget to make plans to come out and help us get the rest of the perimeter loop opened up and help with the final touches on the mogul section because it's really turning out great! The Rangers from the Corp will be providing munchies and drink this time and we hope to get as much done as last time! 8:30am start time and we'll meet back in the gravel pile lot and fan out from there. See you then!

Thanks
    Someone might want to contact Darryl about the DR power wagon. The Sorba trailer will be at DSG this weekend and I believe he said they will not take the power wagon with them. If we are going to finish the mogul section Saturday we will definitely need it.
    Tommy, did you get you're brush trimmer working?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack View Post
    Someone might want to contact Darryl about the DR power wagon. The Sorba trailer will be at DSG this weekend and I believe he said they will not take the power wagon with them. If we are going to finish the mogul section Saturday we will definitely need it.
    Tommy, did you get you're brush trimmer working?
    Yeah I already emailed him but will ask if we can get the wagon at least. At present my trimmer is down but will try and get it dealt with before Sat if possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Saturday will be rocking (literally). We might hit 6 miles this Saturday. We'll have some Scouts again and the usual crew. Ranger Cline will be on hand with burgers and dogs (which will expertly cooked by the Scouts) and other goodies. The trail was hard and dry today and the fastest yet. It was cool not having to slow down for slick corners.

And the forecast is perfect. 68 for the high

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

5. The following user says "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'll be there, but may not be able to stay for the grub.
    ~Matt Clement
    ----------------------------------
    '09 Santa Cruz Heckler

Shutes Branch
    Friendship Community Church

Thanks

!

The good news for me is that Chilton's came to the rescue on my machine and got me my new drive shaft so my brushcutter will be in da house! Scott will have to man it this time since I'm up to my eyeballs in soccer and baseball that day but new trail will be cleared and that is VERY RAWKIN'!!!Haven't heard back from Daryll about the wagon though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by swankmotee View Post
    The good news for me is that Chilton's came to the rescue on my machine and got me my new drive shaft so my brushcutter will be in da house! Scott will have to man it this time since I'm up to my eyeballs in soccer and baseball that day but new trail will be cleared and that is VERY RAWKIN'!!!Haven't heard back from Daryll about the wagon though.
    Scott talked to him and it will be in Fayetteville
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Thanks
    I'll be there and gonna try to bring a friend, if he will get outta bed that early. see ya Saturday

Mike
    Mike

Vassago Jabberwocky

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Thanks
    Both boys and I will be there Saturday. Daryl said that he thought they would need the wagon to haul gravel at DSG so we'll have to put a hold on the Moguls unless someone wants a good workout with a wheelbarrow. If we have have a good turn out we could really get a lot of the new section open. I've done some work out there in the last couple of weeks and the new section clears really fast. It's not near as thick as the other side and the dirt is shallow with lots of rocks.

Tommy,
    Are you going to be there Saturday with that crazy soccer and baseball schedule. I'm OK with manning the brushcutter if you can get it to us.
    Last edited by singletrack; 04-09-2010 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks
    Wish I could make it back out but I'll be out of town this weekend. maybe by the time I get back it'll be dry enough for me to ride the new sections.
    Steve Vines
    2008 Trek Fuel EX8
    1994 GT Zaskar

Thanks
    Tommy,
    Are you going to be there Saturday with that crazy soccer and baseball schedule. I'm OK with manning the brushcutter if you can get it to us.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to try and be there for the first part of the morning if I can work it out with my wife but I will get the cutter to ya someway. I'm going down to get the drive shaft this morning and will contact you once I make sure it's working properly.

Thanks
    Pretty sure I will be there, but not certain. I'm always up for using a wheelbarrow. I have one I can bring, I also have a brushcutter that I should be able to bring, what else might be needed?? We have a front end loader, but I don't think dad would let me borrow it.
    Kevin

08' Lapierre Tecnic
    10' KHS Dj 200 (Ghetto Tubeless)
    06' Honda CRF 250R
    04' GMC Sierra red

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kjd19892 View Post
    Pretty sure I will be there, but not certain. I'm always up for using a wheelbarrow. I have one I can bring, I also have a brushcutter that I should be able to bring, what else might be needed?? We have a front end loader, but I don't think dad would let me borrow it.
    PLEEZE bring your brushcutter since I just found out that Chilton's ordered in the wrong size drive shaft for mine!!! It never fails when you pay for overnight shipping!

Thanks
    Ok I will be there in the morning with brush cutter in hand, I will probably go ahead and bring a wheelbarrow and shovel in case we want to work on the mogules, I plan on checking this again in the morning before I head out, so does anyone know of anything else that would be useful?? Are there any plans for doing some benching tomorrow??
    Kevin

08' Lapierre Tecnic
    06' Honda CRF 250R
    04' GMC Sierra red

Thanks
    WOW - what an awesome day! We had 14 people on the trail and an awesome cookout afterwards. One of the coolest things is that we probably have the coolest "jump rock" in Mid-TN now

It's around mile 6 - yes - I think we're at 6 miles after yesterday. This newest section is really rounding out the trail. Another rock garden to destroy bikes (and skin), some fast sections, and elevation change for a good workout.

Another cool thing is that we reclaimed two adjacent campsites with two picnic tables and two nice grills - it's a great place for a get together. It's all the way in the back and near the radar-ball-on-the-tower.

Thanks to all that helped out!

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Four hours of trail work and three hours of softball practice = pain.

I have to say I feel officially old now. The Scouts kept calling me sir.
    ~Matt Clement
    '09 Santa Cruz Heckler

Shutes Branch

18. The following user says "Thank You" to mallize for this useful post:

Thanks
    I had a lot of fun yesterday, wish I had been able to stick around a little longer and ride more of the trail, but I did get to mess around a little near the moguls so its all good.
    Kevin

08' Lapierre Tecnic
    06' Honda CRF 250R
    04' GMC Sierra red

Thanks
    Hey guys, Ihad a great time also, but I must agree with the feeling old statement. I can't wait to see new trail map when it gets updated. See all of you soon on the new trails.

Mike
    Mike

Vassago Jabberwocky

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Thanks
    I rode there this evening and we're at 5.9 miles including the gravel piles connector. The latest is a blast, especially the hillside and rock gardens.

I think Tommy is going to try and rustle up some trail workers this weekend to get to the 6 mile mark

Here is a map - I'll have to redo it because I hit the wrong button (restarted a 2nd lap). I'll remap it Tuesday evening.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

22. The following user says "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TNcaveman View Post
    I rode there this evening and we're at 5.9 miles including the gravel piles connector. The latest is a blast, especially the hillside and rock gardens.

I think Tommy is going to try and rustle up some trail workers this weekend to get to the 6 mile mark

Here is a map - I'll have to redo it because I hit the wrong button (restarted a 2nd lap). I'll remap it Tuesday evening.

Steve
    So, did you take the new drop or the pansie bypass?
    ~Matt Clement
    '09 Santa Cruz Heckler

Shutes Branch

Thanks

Question for the Shutes bunch?

Who would be interested in doing a workday this coming Saturday and help me get the last of the perimeter done and that one mogul berm filled? Let me know if that will work and I will get in touch with Daryll about getting the DR wagon and brush cutter so we can move it on. I know that it's right on the heels on this last one but the stuff is greening up SO fast that we really need to move it along. Chime in here and let me know who might be able to make it so I can get a head count. This is one of the few Sats I will not have to do a day game so i'm going to take full advantage of.The new trail sections are really fine and once the rest is open I'm sure this trail will become a destination location!!!

Thanks
    I'll probably be out of town this Sat. I maybe able to get down to the trail later this week. I can work on the mogul. What needs to be done there?
    ERIC
    A Shutes Branch Maintainer

Cannondale Trigger 29er 3

VOODOO Dambala 29" Ridged SS

Vintage MASI SS

Soma San Marcos, with vary nice shiny bits. My favorite ride!

Panasonic Tourist 3 speed cruiser (Way cool)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by e-fish View Post
    I'll probably be out of town this Sat. I maybe able to get down to the trail later this week. I can work on the mogul. What needs to be done there?
    WELL......! The sand mound at the base of the biggest mogul is going to have to be covered in large gravel,then smaller gravel, and finally some crush and run and it also will need to be built up and bermed on the left side (if you are standing on the top looking down at the sand mound) to turn the riders into the sand mound and in the right direction for the next couple. I did leave my ole faithful blue wheelbarrow out there with one ole shovel if any hearty lads might want to commit to getting stove up humping gravel! But, I was going to try and make the DR bear most of the burden since a full barrow load is SO dang heavy! Feel free to do what you can but don't kill yourself or slip any discs!

27. The following user says "Thank You" to swankmotee for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mallize View Post
    So, did you take the new drop or the pansie bypass?
    I went between the pansie bypass and the jump.

The area below the jump needs a little work and there is still the big dead tree to remove.

The bypass was perfect for going back up the hill

Steve

Thanks
    Rode the new section yesterday and it rocks. It’s already fast and when the trail gets burned in it should be a blast. The new rock drop rides really good. The line in is perfect with a great landing area. Coming back up I rode both the bypass and the drop backwards just to check the better line. Coming straight back up the drop is actually the easier of the two lines and rides really good. The rock garden on the bath house side rides really good going down and is really tough coming back up the hill. The hillside trail really needs a big berm in that last corner after you come down the fence line below the weather station just before the newest section. It just doesn't flow good coming down that hill with it being so sharp. There really isn't any room to make it larger and it flows great riding it backwards. I think a big berm would be the best solution for that corner. Also the trail just inside the woods above the moguls still needs some attention. The ground there is hard and clumps up when you dig it. If anyone has one of those small landscape tillers it might work good to till that area and rake it smooth.

I went between the pansie bypass and the jump
    1/2 man 1/2 pansie

I'll try and make it Saturday if I'm not 4 wheeling at LBL.

Scott
    Last edited by singletrack; 04-12-2010 at 08:26 AM.

30. The following user says "Thank You" to singletrack for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hey I can help out some this week if it will be in the mornings. I get off work at 8am, so 9ish I can be there after changing clothes. Saturday I can prolly do, but will need to be gone by noon, some friends and I have tickets to strikeforce fight that night and I think they want to go to downtown early to hit some brewery or something like that. you can post up here or pm me I sleep during the day at different times. Cant wait to ride it later this week, see ya soon.

Mike
    Last edited by Skoby; 04-15-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Mike

Vassago Jabberwocky

32. The following user says "Thank You" to Skoby for this useful post:

Thanks
    I rode the new section last night with Eric(kind of, he dropped in 5 minutes after me). It rides really well and is pretty fast... BUT there are to many tight 180 degree switch backs which take all of your speed. We need to round them off or add berms. Some of them are so tight that you can't build a berm without widening the turn.

All in all it's a lot of fun though. The 'big drop' is not so big when you ride it. I thought it was a lot bigger than it actually is.
    Last edited by mallize; 04-15-2010 at 07:02 PM.
    ~Matt Clement
    '09 Santa Cruz Heckler

Shutes Branch

Thanks

Change of PLANS!

I'm going to be doing a baseball game and then a late night gig Friday night so I KNOW I will not feel like getting up at 8:00am on Saturday so how about hooking up on Sunday morning instead? I'll plan to do it then if anyone can make it and cut some trail then.

Thanks
    I'll try to make it sunday, but not sure if we are going to church. Btw where is the gig? Maybe able to make that. Hey a guy I work with is in a band that plays around the area called Losing Hope, was wondering if you have seen them?

Mike
    Mike

Vassago Jabberwocky

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoby View Post
    I'll try to make it sunday, but not sure if we are going to church. Btw where is the gig? Maybe able to make that. Hey a guy I work with is in a band that plays around the area called Losing Hope, was wondering if you have seen them?

Mike
    Hey Mike,
    The gig is at Daniella's,12 E Thompson Ln, next to the Mapco right up from the Dairy Dip and it is alot of funk, fusion, and jammin' if you're into that kind of thing. Haven't heard of Losing because I don't get out much other than for my things. Come out if ya can because thers no cover and it's a nice hang!

Thanks
    About what time, my wife is going to do the baby shower gift registry tonight. So I may be free tonight, will know for sure a little later.

Mike
    Mike

Vassago Jabberwocky

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoby View Post
    About what time, my wife is going to do the baby shower gift registry tonight. So I may be free tonight, will know for sure a little later.

Mike
    We'll be starting round 9:30 or so.They have Shiner on tap!

Thanks
    Sorry I did not get to make gig, I could not get a straight answer form the wife till it was too late. But on another note, I went out to Shutes to try a lap and only got about a mile and a half into it and the chain broke on bike. So we packed it up an came home and worked on bike. Got it fixed and went on ride thru the neiborhood and my buddies pedal fell off abouta mile from house. So all in all the day was still good I guess, at least I was not at work. Maybe try again today. see ya around.

Mike
    Mike

Vassago Jabberwocky

Thanks
    how do pedals fall off a bike haha

Thanks
    Went out there today..Amazing job guys!! I love the last 2 miles or so of the trail!!

Anybody have an updated map?

Thanks
    Just posted this - glad you liked it. There is an easy bypass of the White Rocks section. We'll make some signs to show the bypass. It only knocks out about 1/4 to 1/2 mile of trail. That section does sometime annoy me too.

http://nationalmountainbike.com/boar...5671#post85671

Thanks
    So if ye are looking because a agency who offers Assignment Help for US students afterward wish lie sincerely your forward choice.
    https://www.theacademicpapers.co.uk/...ervices-uk.php

Thread Information