Thread: Throwing My Stupid Chain

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts

Throwing My Stupid Chain

Can anybody think of a logical reason why a single speed would keep throwing the chain. It's not the cog because I've tried different cogs. It's not the chain ring cuz I tried a different one of those too. It just started in January and I can't think of any major changes that took place. It's an 8 speed chain. Cogs are surly and niner. Chainrings are surly and blackspire. Chainline has been adjusted to nausia. My freehub body appears to be tight. I'm gonna try a different crank and wheelset just to make sure.

I'm going insane.

Adam

Thanks
    How old is the chain? When is it jumping? Downhill and rough? Open flatish trail? I assume the chain is not under load when it jumps. Are you getting chain slap?
    I had great success with the surly chainring and cog. I use white ind. now and it works well.
    mid pack fodder at best

3. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to xtanker for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 718 Posts
    Adam,

You have Too much POWER!!! It must be flexing your frame.

5. The following user says "Thank You" to cooper58 for this useful post:

Thanks
    I can put as much oomph on it that I need to. The problem is that traditional period from coasting to max power and has something to do with high cadence too...at least it seems to. Picture cruzing along enjoying the day on your singlespeed when suddenly you see a wall tha requires a large effort. You plan accordingly and ratchet up the cadence then as soon as you run out of momentum and are relying on leg power to get you up the hill the chain jumps off. It's pretty much the first standing pedal stroke and usually from the left leg. Sometimes it jumps off the front sometimes the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Every time my chain does that, it has usually stretched beyond .75 when I check it. Also, I think it is a good idea to only use one brand of cogs as it sometimes changes your spacing. How much slack do you have in your chain when you adjust it. Mine is not tight and not loose. Hope this helps some and you resolve this issue. My niner ebb was creaking and I took it apart 6 times before I finally got it to be silent. For how long, who knows?

8. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have watched your chain go slack then tight while we ride. It is frame flex. I know Moots makes a great frame but I'm pretty sure that's what's happening. Using the geared dropout with a spring loaded tensioner would fix it or you could try the dreaded geared option.
    It's not that bad

10. The following user says "Thank You" to pump track jim for this useful post:

Thanks
    Like stated above...you should try a tensioner and see what that does...It may loose the minimalist look of a SS, but it will be functional

12. The following user says "Thank You" to 00accord4cyl for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meanjoe View Post
    Can anybody think of a logical reason why a single speed would keep throwing the chain. It's not the cog because I've tried different cogs. It's not the chain ring cuz I tried a different one of those too. It just started in January and I can't think of any major changes that took place. It's an 8 speed chain. Cogs are surly and niner. Chainrings are surly and blackspire. Chainline has been adjusted to nausia. My freehub body appears to be tight. I'm gonna try a different crank and wheelset just to make sure.

I'm going insane.

Adam
    Adam,

I noticed as well that your chain tension seems to go slack in the course of a full turn of the cranks a bit more than I've experienced on my Moots. I'm wondering if you've checked in terms of insuring that the chain ring is concentric to the spindle. I realize that there is not much room for variance here, but I know that Dicky has had similar issue that he's resolved by insuring a concentric chain ring mount. I'd say flex in the wheel could contribute as well, but frame flex is not likely to be enough to cause the issue. I've had wheels on a road bike that I could flex enough to pull the derailleur into the spokes under heavy pedal forces. I've got a King / Arch wheelset that you are welcome to try if you like.

Here's a link to a Sheldon Brown article that may help. Also, I'll PM you Dicky's phone if you want some more ideas.

Look under the heading, "Chain Tension with Straight Chain":
    http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html#chainline

Robert,

Do you have the new EBB from Niner, or the old? If the old style, I had great success with Plumbers Tape, or Nylon Thread Tape. You know the stuff they include with a new faucet. It does very well on BB threads and I've even read of folks wrapping their old style Niner EBB's in the stuff. I used it on my BB threads on my old Niner and it did the trick very well. Much better than any grease or repeated cleaning. Much cleaner too and no issues with corrosion.

Thanks,

Grant

14. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to GNC for this useful post:

Thanks
    There's no doubt I have an issue with the whole slack/tight spot in my chain. I never considered they could be related issues. I'm on it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meanjoe View Post
    There's no doubt I have an issue with the whole slack/tight spot in my chain. I never considered they could be related issues. I'm on it.
    I have the same issue. My Stylo cranks, mated with a spot chainring and a blackspire chainring were not a good combo. I would center the chainring as best I could, but after a day of hammering, the chainring would have slid to one side, leaving a severe slack / tight spot in the chain. It appears the stops on the spider (of the crank) were made to fit truvativ chainrings only. When i mount the truvativ chainring it fits snug and has no room to move no matter the torque I put on it.

Conversely, on my cheaper truvativ firex crankset, both of the after market chainrings fit snug, so go figure. You run XT cranks? Not sure if the chainrings fit snug? Grant mentioned Dicky above, he had ran Middleburns, but is now running a niner chainring on his race face SS cranks. I remember reading his blog, "the niner chainring fit very snug onto the cranks" leaving no room for a slack / tight point.
    Lynskey Pro 29 SS

17. The following user says "Thank You" to jbarber for this useful post:

Thanks
    Adam,

I have the same issue running to a Shimano Alfine hub (Internal Geared) and I'm not sure there is any easy way to solve the actual problem, so I have a "chain keeper." The best I found is the Paul Components (http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.asp...C97&Prod=17980), the NGear seemed to still let the chain jump over it. The Paul setup is a little fiddily, as it can be adjusted in so many directions, which is also a good thing.

Not a real solution, but hope it helps.
    Steve
    Ventana ElCap
    Salsa El Mariachi

19. The following user says "Thank You" to Stonehead for this useful post:

Thanks
    i had the same problem and a spring loaded tensioner fixed my problem

Slow-Motion

21. The following user says "Thank You" to kevkizer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 503 Posts
    Adam,

I think something or someone is trying to tell you to go "geared".
    TIM

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" --- Chesty Puller, USMC

23. The following user says "Thank You" to Taco-Tim for this useful post:

Thanks

Alfine is on an El Mariachi

The ElMari has an eccentric bottom bracket, so I did not need the tensioner, however due to the "out of round" chainrings I was losing my chain several times a ride and my mind/motivation were following. Alfine works great, I might even consider a Rohloff ($$$$) for my next hardtail! The only issue is; the gear change levers are opposite to the Sram kit I was used to, so there has been some brain retraining. Evidently Shimano is coming out with an 11 speed hub sometime soon, so I might try that as well.
    Steve
    Ventana ElCap
    Salsa El Mariachi

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    I have the same problem with my geared bike. Well not really.

26. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    I have the same problem with my geared bike. Well not really.
    True cuz geared bikes never suffer from any ailments, like chain suck, skipping, miss-shifts, chain slap, succumb to stick damage, or any such ilk.

28. The following user says "Thank You" to Johnny5 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
    True cuz geared bikes never suffer from any ailments, like chain suck, skipping, miss-shifts, chain slap, succumb to stick damage, or any such ilk.
    What about ghost shifting?
    Last edited by Dook of Moots; 04-09-2010 at 06:37 AM.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

30. The following user says "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Sticky cables w/frayed ends, bent derailleur hangers, bent derailleurs, or the dreaded throwing the chain over the big cog and into the spokes ala Jeff Scott!

poop happens.

Adam

32. The following user says "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Squishiness is worth a couple of trade offs.

Gary

Thanks
    In my best Homer Simpson...Dohhhh!!!!

Old chain is the long one. They're matched up link by link and even at the other end. I've never seen a chain stretched so bad. When I took the old one off there was some slack in there. When I tried to put the new chain on I had to move the sliders WAYYYY forward to get the wheel back in.

I bought the old chain in December and had it mounted in time for January snake. My chain jump issue started mid January. The chain before this one lasted 8 or 9 months and the chain checker still showed it outside of the "replace now" notch. When I dropped the chain checker in this one today it fell right into the "replace now" notch and had room to move around.

FWIW the stretched out chain was a SRAM 830. New chain is an 870, which I've had good luck with in the past. Not sure if it was ride conditions, lack of care, or riding around with it too tight that caused it to wear so quickly, but I had 2 or 3 mtb rides in january and not very many in february so mileage couldn't be it.

Let this be a lesson to us all. Check the simple crap first.

BTW not sure if it's fixed or not. Guess I'll find out tomorrow afternoon when the workday fun ride begins.

Adam

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    I hope that fixes it. Ya know, you could buy a check checker. I even have one.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

36. The following user says "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Jeff-I edited my post. I have a chain checker. Just don't use it on new chains.

Adam

Thanks
    Nice find Adam. Hope that was the culprit! Chain drop issues are not fun. Sometimes it is the simple things like chain stretch or a missing tooth on the rear cog : )
    blue skies,

39. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to BikeSwimmer for this useful post:

Thread Information