Thread: Can't say this often enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 731 Posts

Can't say this often enough.

I was riding along at Montgomery Bell today. The breeze was perfect. The temperature was perfect. The trail was tacky, and was riding darn near perfect. A thought popped into my head. One that I have had many times, but not acted on nearly enough.

I want to say thank you, Tommy Hatcher. This whole trail system would not be here but for the vision and perseverance of this individual. This person literally spent an entire decade of his free time arguing for, organizing for, walking the woods and blazing trees, swinging a weed eater, digging bench and raking dirt. Think of that, folks! Most of us are lucky if we get 8 decades of life. So he spent one eighth of his free time on this earth, building this trail. Many of us helped; some a lot, but we are all just punctuation at the end of the sentence compared to Tommy's devotion.

So I want to say, Thank You, Tommy. And I would encourage all of you that love this trail; when you see Tommy at Shutes or elsewhere; to tell him how much you appreciate this giant effort too. In my opinion, he deserves some kind of Lifetime Achievement Award, if we had such a thing.
    --Bob S.

We need you all. Please join today.
    -- -------o----------o---------o------------
    '10 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er - Seriously Loving it. -great bike.
    '05 Rnj Ano Santa Cruz Blur Classic,
    1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'
    Spc'lzd Roubaix Comp road bike

2. The following 21 users say "Thank You" to kindacreeky for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 718 Posts
    Thanks Tommy!!!

Thanks
    Thank you Tommy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Thank you Tommy.
    Thank you Eric.
    Thank you Bob.
    Thank you Bryan.
    Thank you to all that made, and makes, this awesome system possible.

Gary

6. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks Tommy! Your the real thing!
    It's not that bad

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 884 Posts
    Thanks for all of your physical and emotional work that went into Monty Bell - Tommy and all of the the people involved!
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    "Dead last is greater than did not finish, which trumps did not start."
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

9. The following user says "Thank You" to Reedly for this useful post:

::insert clever name for Nashville here::
    Thanks
    Such a great trail. I'm going to toss a thanks out there to anyone who had anything to do with it.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to Metanoia113 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for their hard work that went into making the trail system it is today. And thanks for those whom maintain it everyday!
    "Often, the enjoyment is the training before and the memory after." -- Doug Kurtis

Team RideforReading.org

13. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to BikerGirl for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 731 Posts

Others that I can think of.

Joe Sweeney put in tons of hard digging days. Joe is one of the hardest workers I have ever had the pleasure to work beside. I loved working with Joe; we were like one worker; did not have to even talk to make a project go forward seamlessly. Jim Simms (PTJ) built nearly all the bridges, and dug a lot of trail too. Jeff and Wendy Scott were frequent workers out there. Laura Sweeney was a good rock hauler, along with Wendy. Nat Ambrose was a good helper too. David Broemel put in many a good hard day's work too. Russell Hall was a particularly hard worker when it came to benching. Almost every day that we were digging, gathering and placing rocks, and finishing trail, Tommy was out front cutting new line, struggling through impenetrable brier pathces. he would stagger back in toward noon to see what progress the crew had made. This was the main crew that met nearly every weekend in 2005 and 2006. Together with Tommy, this crew and perhaps a dozen others, built nearly the whole of the green and yellow in those two years. There was an older fellow, a doctor retired from Vanderbilt, and I cannot remember his name, if somebody can help. He came nearly every weekend for about a year.

I do not know the roster before my time. Maybe Tommy can remember some more folks. I kept a log of all the work from Sept. 05 till Oct 06. I kept track of the work days from Jan. 05 on. The total hours actually worked, not travel, in 2005 and 06 was 669 hours. There was more actually, but I did not start keeping good records until half way through 2005.
    --Bob S.

We need you all. Please join today.
    -- -------o----------o---------o------------
    '10 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er - Seriously Loving it. -great bike.
    '05 Rnj Ano Santa Cruz Blur Classic,
    1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'
    Spc'lzd Roubaix Comp road bike

15. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to kindacreeky for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Cool post Bob. I can understand the urge to build trail. It does really dig into your time. But when you go ride what you personally built, or simply improved, it makes it worth it. Last Friday I weedeated for 4 hrs. I was beginning to wonder what the heck? Then I rode the trail just before dinner, and it was awesome.

Thanks to all the trail builders and my friend Tommy Your time was well spent - no go out there and ride (after the ball game).

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

17. The following user says "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,913 Times in 939 Posts
    Thanks Tommy! Great work on a great trail!
    Kelly Benward
    Team RideforReading.org

Thanks

DAYUM!

I just happened upon this thread by accident tonight since I hardly ever look at the site much anymore since I'm so busy doing other stuff these days but just want to say thanx Bob because it means alot to read this and hear how much people are enjoying the trail! I was really upset to hear about the fire out there and am kind of embarrassed that I didn't speak up about it on the thread or give you a call about it but I can't seem to find much time to post at all these days. Heck I can hardly get out to Shutes to do much either! Thats what coaching baseball and working all the time will do for ya. As I get older I find my lust for getting scratched,stung,bitten, and rashed all over my body waning fast but sure do remember how much I truly loved getting out there and smelling how wonderful that place is and how pretty the trees and creeks are in the spring! It was a personal challenge all the time it took to get that thing done but just knowing it will be there for many years to come makes me feel it was truly a worthwhile venture. Maybe sometime soon I'll be back out there to ride some since I'm slowly losing weight and feeling like pounding some pedals again! Thanx again for all you do and in answer to your question about the past voluteers the name of the guy from Vanderbilt was Dandy Don Winter and the list of others would take forever to write. Maybe someday I'll write a short story synopsis of that whole history because it was some journey for sure!

20. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to swankmotee for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks Tom. Don't forget about Ham creek he is a owner there to.We will call you Tennessee Tom.
    Last edited by cdpmtoy; 05-06-2010 at 06:14 AM.

Thread Information