Thread: ACL Surgery

Thanks

ACL Surgery

I'm sure some of you have done the ACL thing. I'm 4 weeks out from surgery, just getting back on the bike. Curious if anyone has any advice, words of encouragement, etc...

Hoping I'll be back to 100% by cyclocross season, but my hopes aren't too high. One pedal stroke at a time.

Thanks
    Stay dilligent in your therapy. Do not do anything stupid, especially in the next couple weeks. Your graft will be at its weakest for the next couple weeks. After 8 weeks, if you don't leave PT dog a$$ tired, you are not working hard enough.

Who did the surgery?
    mid pack fodder at best

Thanks
    Thanked 1,913 Times in 939 Posts
    I have had 2 ACL's redone on the same knee. I got into biking because of the repairs. For me, riding the bike was much easier on my knees than trying to run. It took a while but it will get "normal" for the most part again. Many years out now the only effect it has on me is that it hurts to get down on my knees on a hard floor. The area where the scars are on the front of my knee is still sensitive, but other than that it's fine.

I would take the advice though and stay off it for a while. Just when you think it feels better is the most likely time to re injure it as your graft is at it's weakest. Hate to say it but I would consider not getting back on my bike at 4 weeks even if it doesn't hurt to do so. Ask your PT person what they recommend though as they are the experts.

Sorry to hear about your surgery, but know it will get better and return to normal for you.
    Kelly Benward
    Team RideforReading.org

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FullSquishy View Post
    I have had 2 ACL's redone on the same knee. I got into biking because of the repairs. For me, riding the bike was much easier on my knees than trying to run. It took a while but it will get "normal" for the most part again. Many years out now the only effect it has on me is that it hurts to get down on my knees on a hard floor. The area where the scars are on the front of my knee is still sensitive, but other than that it's fine.

I would take the advice though and stay off it for a while. Just when you think it feels better is the most likely time to re injure it as your graft is at it's weakest. Hate to say it but I would consider not getting back on my bike at 4 weeks even if it doesn't hurt to do so. Ask your PT person what they recommend though as they are the experts.

Sorry to hear about your surgery, but know it will get better and return to normal for you.

Squinchy -

You better get back on your bike before your ACL's rot off there hero.

Your friend,

Uzzi

5. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Surgery was done out in Durango, CO. On the bike means on the Trainer, not really out there riding. My PT kicked my *** today. I hate him. My knee loves him.

He told me Cross season's probably a no-go... I told him to go **** himself, then agreed that I will probably just be the guy helping set-up/teardown and drinking heavily.

7. The following user says "Thank You" to Booksy for this useful post:

Thanks
    as a therapst. i say....... do any home exercise program first even if they seem silly they have a reason behind them and they work and then i would hit the trainer. progress into some easy road rides in week or two basically want to keep the resistance down till knee is strong. biking is good because just regular riding has very lil lateral preasure on knee. worst thing is to do to much early on. this can cause reinjury or cause more damage than the beginning. after surgury your other tendons are taking up the slack while the ACL heals. Even well conditioned patienst can lose up to 30% of their strenth post surgury which means ur knee is very weak and it is the only thing allowing you to walk or ride. PTs dont tell u not to do something because they dont want to do the things that you love they tell you because a PTs main job is to make sure you dont have to see them again. sucks during and hard news to take. but i would tell my patient do you want to not ride now or never again.. everyone heals different so never know. good luck. best advice listen to therapist and llisten to ur knee. as you get stronger you may push and it may feel great but the next day after some rest you may have lots pain and may set ur self back so dont get into a hurry, lots of time to ride. and a fall would be last thing want. remember P.T. stands for Pain and tourcher....
    Last edited by GARRETT; 05-04-2010 at 06:31 PM.
    2012 YEYI ARS-5
    2012 Kona Jake CX
    2006 trek 4900, fox rlc 100mm, Chris king headset, axonic outlaw wheel set.

Thanks
    I went thru it two years ago, I had no meniscus (sp?) damage which I think made my recovery much easeir and quicker. Two months post surgery my PT let me get on the bike...the mtn bike...with clipless pedals...although I'm not sure my kind of mtn biking and her idea of mtn biking are the same!!! But I did it, not too much though as I was at therapy two days a week and working out on my own the 3rd day. I only rode the easier trails, I stayed away from Hammy till about the 5th month. I would think you would be fine for cross season, but your PT is the expert and I'm only speaking from my personal experience. I tore it snow skiing, had surgery in February and snow skied again in December, with the brace of course. I wore the brace mtn biking for at least a year since it wasn't uncomfortable and once I was riding I forgot I had it on, so I figured why not wear it. I actually wear an off the shelf brace from a local sporting goods store whose name rhymes with "Nick's", on my good knee when I ski now.

My PT kicked my butt, I left there sweating my butt off everytime...I thought of it like having a personal trainer that my insurance was paying for!! I went for 7 months, she may have milked me because I think that's longer than most people but I didn't care 'cause she had some nice tig 'ol bitties and was cute and cool and I was paying very little and it kept me from being tempted to skip workouts!!!!

My knee is great now, I feel it when it rains, but it's not painful, just kind of an uncomfortable feeling that reminds me...which might be a good thing to keep me in check. Hang in there and bust you butt, do everything they say and do your home excercises! My legs are now stronger than ever in my life (even thought that's not saying a lot!!)

Here's a forum that I read to help me get thru it and get tips, other people who are going thru it share their experiences. http://www.knee1.com/forum/

Good Luck!! You'll be thru it in no time!!

10. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thread Information