Thread: Wanting to Pedal Again

Thanks

Wanting to Pedal Again

Something interesting happened to me recently. I went to a chiropractor. A lot of pain and tension in my neck and shoulders is gone and I feel up to more physical activities. I've been back to the gym on the treadmill and started some core strength exercises to get back from basically no base fitness at all to a tiny, tiny base.

The first part of June, I plan to buy a new bike. I'm not up to trail riding or serious road biking, but I think that I'll be up to some greenway riding and riding on the streets around where I live.

I've been looking at hybrid bikes and boy has the marketing changed in the past couple of years. :cyclist:

I'm initially looking at something in the $1000 range, and it seems that Trek and Specialized have bikes with decent spec in that range.

The Trek Soho looks intriguing with its belt drive and internally geared rear hub. The Specialized Roulux is also interesting, with its front and rear suspension (I hesitate to call it full suspension...)

Going with a 700c wheel bike has the advantage that I don't need as much standover clearance, and with my short legs that will be helpful.

Are there any other bikes in this general type that I should be looking at as well?

My other alternative is to go with a mountain bike and put slicks on it to start out. To get the right fit will be harder because I need more standover clearance on a mountain bike and smaller frames are somewhat scarce.

Thanks to bad weather and a busy schedule, I've still got my shoes, Time ATAC pedals and helmet, so to start out, the bike is all I really need.

Tachyon
    Tom
    2007 Jamis Durango 1.0 Hardtail

Thanks
    Out of the chaos that was last week, I emerged... with a new (to me) bike. It's an older 48cm Lemond Zurich frame with mostly Ultegra components except for the controls (bar end shifters) and the rear mech, which is a Dura-Ace. It's a 9 speed drivetrain, and it's missing the front wheel. It has an actual history, so if I see you in person, expect to be bored!

It's a great foundation for a fitness bike, with 'room to grow'.

I'll be posting in the for sale section for some parts if anyone has them. I'm looking forward to getting out and riding. I've got to get some base back. []

Tom (Tachyon)
    Tom

3. The following user says "Thank You" to tachyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    This frame is a Reynolds 853 model. Possibly a 2001 model?

Tom (Tachyon)
    Tom

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tachyon View Post
    Out of the chaos that was last week, I emerged... with a new (to me) bike. It's an older 48cm Lemond Zurich frame with mostly Ultegra components except for the controls (bar end shifters) and the rear mech, which is a Dura-Ace. It's a 9 speed drivetrain, and it's missing the front wheel. It has an actual history, so if I see you in person, expect to be bored!

It's a great foundation for a fitness bike, with 'room to grow'.

I'll be posting in the for sale section for some parts if anyone has them. I'm looking forward to getting out and riding. I've got to get some base back. []

Tom (Tachyon)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but 48cm is a tiny bike for a grown man?

Thanks
    Yes, a 48cm frame makes a very small bike.

I'm 5'6" with a long torso and short legs, so the frame's standover height is almost ideal. I'm going to have to play with the seat position and stem length to get it set up correctly for me, and I'll probably have to go with an offset seatpost.

I ride a 14" mountain frame, which is quite small as well. When I was riding mountain bikes, finding a production full suspension mountain bike that I can ride comfortably proved to be almost futile, and the very few that I could find that fit, I couldn't afford.

Tom (Tachyon)
    Tom

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Hey Tom, GREAT to hear you working on riding again

I might be able to make you a GREAT deal on a blue 853 Jamis frame this fall. Charlie is starting to sprout up and I'm looking at getting him a Salsa Ala Carte 16" frame to move everything over.

You can have the Profile Stem and Crowbar that came off the Jamis - I upgraded these to weight weenie parts.

A large buddy of mine just got a Surley Long Haul Trucker (extra large size). I think that they make a XS also - check with Bikers Choice, that's where he got his.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    If the Jamis comes available, let me know. As you know, I'm addicted to Reynolds 853 steel.

I'm hoping to get this Lemond working for me in the next week or so and start doing the parking lot criterium. My building is about 1/8 mile around, so that's a good start. Just adding laps at first will be a challenge.

I'm going to get a Terry Liberator saddle this weekend. The saddle on the bike now is a real weight weenie model.

For now, I'll be riding the street, but I'll probably come out to a race or two this summer to hang out and cheer the kids on.

Tom
    Tom

9. The following user says "Thank You" to tachyon for this useful post:

Thread Information