Thread: Raccoon Mountain Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks

Raccoon Mountain Conditions Here - everyone post!

Use this thread to update trail conditions at Racoon Mountain

Chattanooga Weather

Jose Alea

SORBA Advocacy
    http://www.sorbamidtn.org/

2. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to GRiD for this useful post:

Thanks
    I am headed out there today. Suppose to be 70! I will update on trail conditions.

Thanks
    Wow, what a great ride we had Sunday! Trails are in pretty good shape. Even with the rain towards then end of our day, it was pretty much perfect.

5. The following user says "Thank You" to Tall Steve for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hey everyone, the visitor center at Raccoon is closed until January, so you cannot access that area or jump on the trails from there. Just a heads up.

7. The following user says "Thank You" to Stonej for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hi everyone! I am heading to Racoon Mtn for a ride in a few weeks. I keep seeing everyone say they love Small Intestine, but I am confused by the map... which one is it? #1? and Which direction is best?

What am I missing?
    Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    On this map:
    http://www.outdoorchattanooga.com/RM_brochure.pdf
    it is #3 (aka Table Rock)(Interesting that it has reverted back to the original name).

Either direction... Many ride Small Intestine both ways since the entrance and exit are so close together. As far as entire trail, there are advantages and disadvantages either direction. Clockwise from East Overlook is a fun start.

Mark
    Last edited by QuestionMark; 05-13-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks
    thank you so much Mark.

So it is an expert level? I watched a few GoPro vids and it does not seem very technical. I would consider myself an intermediate rider at best but am bringing a friend who is a beginner. I ride a lot of xc here in Colorado, rocky, roots and loose gravel, have conquered some technical sections but still am a bit intimidated sometimes... as a female, I am ok with admitting that. LOL

Can anyone tell me what you would consider that makes it expert level?

EDIT: sorry about that, I see that it is listed as "advanced", not "expert"... but still the same question.
    Last edited by ru4given; 05-13-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks
    Likely because of roots, rocks and length, comparatively speaking. An intermediate rider from CO should have a blast. A beginner would probably just be a bit slower.

Mark

Thanks
    Great! I think we can handle that. Thanks again Mark. I am really looking forward to it!

Thanks
    I personally prefer to ride it counterclockwise. You might try it both ways if you have the time.

1079 Sterling Ridge Dr Rensselaer NY, NY 12144, United States
    Thanks
    I hope everything is alright is and about the trails i would like to say that everything should go well...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmartin View Post
    I hope everything is alright is and about the trails i would like to say that everything should go well...
    Banana

Lance Bowers

2018 Surly ECR 29+
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2013 Soma Fab Double Cross Disc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ru4given View Post
    thank you so much Mark.

So it is an expert level? I watched a few GoPro vids and it does not seem very technical. I would consider myself an intermediate rider at best but am bringing a friend who is a beginner. I ride a lot of xc here in Colorado, rocky, roots and loose gravel, have conquered some technical sections but still am a bit intimidated sometimes... as a female, I am ok with admitting that. LOL

Can anyone tell me what you would consider that makes it expert level?

EDIT: sorry about that, I see that it is listed as "advanced", not "expert"... but still the same question.
    If you've ridden parts of the CT, or White's ranch, Buffalo Park, Golden Gate or anything in the greater Golden/Boulder area and not been overly intimidated, you will do just fine. I'd call it an intermediate ride on about 33% of the trail and an advanced beginner on the rest compared to Colorado type riding. You'll find nothing like Apex on the whole trail, but your extra lung capacity will probably mean you'll breeze through nearly everything it has to offer. Have fun!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    I personally prefer to ride it counterclockwise. You might try it both ways if you have the time.
    Wish you coulda joined us! Had a great ride (minus sidewall cut) yesterday. Rode counter. I think I prefer clockwise. Trail was perfect. Weather was unseasonably nice. Mosquitos were busy. We parked at the bottom of Live Wire. Rode up. That'll get your heart rate up in a hurry. The pay-off was getting to zoom down to finish. Good call, gmb industries! There were a couple of large trees blocking the race loop. Very surprised considering the day before the XC event.

SHAMELESS PLUG FOR A FIRST TIME VISIT- We rode 5-Points in Treton, GA. this morning. Great follow-up! Lots of roller coaster single track on mostly chirty soil (a lot like the west end of MB, minus the pine needles). Only one rocky technical segment, the rest was smooth and flowing. The contractor that built it new his stuff. On a lot of the rollers, large and small. momentum would carry you 3/4 way to the top of the next, crank a little and off again. Very well designed and executed. About 30 minutes from the Raccoon Mt. interstate exit.

Gary

18. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    anyone have an idea what the trail looks like? Plan on coming over ther tomorrow

Slow-Motion

Thanks
    Back in 2006 I posted this thread about Raccoon being epic. I later found out that plans were in the works!

Well, yesterday I road Raccoon for the first time in years and it is EPIC!

I parked at the boat ramp and climbed High Voltage to Split Rock to Laurel Point to River Gorge to Mega Watt with a side loop on Six Flags continuing to Grindstone Ridge to Small Intestine to Switchyard Connector to the Gravel road then down Live Wire 1 and 2. It took 5 hours (took my time) and about 20 miles. I wasn't expecting Live Wire 2 to be so brutal...it was!! I'm shocked I didn't bonk!

Can't wait to go again!
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

21. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Bikebrainmaniac for this useful post:

Thanks
    Rode everything except Live Wire 1 and 2 and High Voltage on Saturday. Might have seen one puddle. Otherwise conditions were amazing.

23. The following user says "Thank You" to Johnny V for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thinking of riding here this weekend. Whats the best way to ride it? We're thinking of parking at the east overlook, then riding counter-clockwise. Hitting east rim to chunky, down on livewire 1, livewire 2, and down high voltage. Where should we go from there? I was thinking of hitting split rock to laurel point, back to electric ave 1. We'd be back at the car, so we can decide to ride more, like the inside loop, or go home. What y'all think?
    CHIEF

Thanks
    I rode Raccoon Mtn last weekend. Did most of the route that bikebrainmaniac posted above. It was awesome! but when I go back I think I may just skip Live Wire 1, 2 and High Voltage and do everything else (even though Live Wire 1 was a blast and High Voltage would be probably fun and/or scary to descend) My favorite sections were Live Wire 1, Small intestine (for the the amazing view at one point), Megawatt, and Laurel Point had some really fun sections as well

If you go the way you are talking about you'll have to go back up High Voltage which if you have the legs for it, you might enjoy but we ended up walking a lot of it, especially towards the top it gets really steep. Have fun!

26. The following user says "Thank You" to thetimanator for this useful post:

Thanks
    Clockwise is my preferred.
    Last edited by homer; 06-03-2015 at 04:28 PM. Reason: looked at the map.

Gary

28. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks guys! I rode there once counter-clockwise, and it was great. I'm doing the Super D in July, so I def. want to ride down Live Wire 1 & 2, and maybe High Voltage. I don't get down there very often, so we plan on riding all day.
    Thanks once again.
    CHIEF

30. The following user says "Thank You" to VTOne for this useful post:

Thanks
    We went down Live Wire 1 and 2, drove up from the boat ramp, and then started from the Chunky Free Ride Area and took various trails across to High Voltage and went down there, as well. I've clawed my way up High Voltage before and two cars was definitely the right move for yesterday's temperatures.

The place could probably use a little rain. Everything was in generally good shape, just a little dry and drifty. Live Wire 1 felt sketchier than I remembered. Don't know if more loose rock has washed onto the trail over the winter/spring, or if it's just more evident to me due to the hardness of the underlying trail. I've only ridden it a couple of times, so maybe that's just how it usually is. A lot of fun once you acknowledge that your rear tire will be playing its own game.

Was my first time down High Voltage. Better descent than Live Wire in my opinion, but given a choice of which to do, "both" is the best answer.

Thanks
    Any updates? Looking forward to riding Raccoon Mtn soon.
    1992 Fuji Sandblaster
    2010 Specialized Hardrock 29
    2012 Scott CR-1 Team
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29
    2007 Yamaha YZ-250

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    I rode there last Sunday. The trail has really eroded so take your full sup if you have one. ;) I probably won't be back for awhile. :(
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    I thought that's what those moon bikes were for!

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I rode there last Sunday. The trail has really eroded so take your full sup if you have one. ;) I probably won't be back for awhile. :(
    I bet you were the one I met while riding CW on Small Intestine. You were riding CCW? Fat bike; pile of sand in the middle of the trail for no apparent reason?

Mark

36. The following user says "Thank You" to QuestionMark for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestionMark View Post
    I bet you were the one I met while riding CW on Small Intestine. You were riding CCW? Fat bike; pile of sand in the middle of the trail for no apparent reason?

Mark
    You got that right. I love that section of Raccoon Mountain.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Anyone have a condition up on the trails?

Thanks

Raccoon Mountain Conditions Here - everyone post!

Got to ride Raccoon Mt today and it was great. There has been enough traffic to pack the leaves or push them off the trail. 60 degrees and clear blue skies made for an awesome day. Special thanks to the guy with the chain saw on small intestines.

Thread Information