Thread: It's those we love that we hurt the most

Thanks

It's those we love that we hurt the most

Do you have an older well-loved bike (17" frame, or so) moldering in your garage, or God forbid, basement? If so, PLEASE release it from it's prison of disuse and sell it to me! I'll keep it clean and lubricated and ride it often in the fresh air and sunshine.

If you are guilty of "bike disuse" and wish to redeem yourself, you could simply set the bike free in a safe location near my house, or you could allow me to PAY YOU (up to $125, or so) for doing the right thing. You'll feel better about yourself and have some cash in your pocket, I'll have a great bike to ride, and the bike will once again be free to fulfill its destiny. It's a win, win, win situation, don't ya think?

hasbin
    cacol@comcast.net
    Last edited by Chrispy; 05-11-2010 at 01:56 PM.

2. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Chrispy for this useful post:

Thanks
    & Excellent first post... Unfortunately I have already freed all that I own to new homes to make room for a the newborn.... Niner, that is...
    "...what doesn't kill you, only makes you bitter...."

'12 Niner E.M.D.9 - Raja
    '10 Niner R.I.P.9 - CoCo
    '06 Honda Element (orange)

4. The following user says "Thank You" to Hoopty for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks Hoopty!

Maybe someone will step-up.

Thanks

7. The following user says "Thank You" to shockfinder for this useful post:

Thanks
    I've got an old full suspension frame that has just a very slight crack at the rear dropout pivot at the bottom bracket. How bout that? Hey, old cracked frames need love, too!

9. The following user says "Thank You" to Toocheaptobuyanewbike for this useful post:

Thanks
    Shockfinder,
    I saw those bikes on CL. Looked at another bike the guy with Blue Giant was selling, but it turned out to be in MUCH worse condition than was advertised. I don't think he's trying to be dishonest, but I honestly don't know enough about used bikes to feel confident buying from him. Waiting on a reply about the 19" Giant Boulder, but It'll probably be too tall for my stubby little legs and dangly bits.

Toocheaptobuyanewbike,
    Thanks for the offer. Hate to see any bike suffer, but I'm not looking for a project--have enough of those already. Is it just a frame or an entire rideable bike? I think that given my current skill level a hardtail would be a good choice.

hasbin

Thanks
    I have a hardtail Motobecane frame I wouldn't mind selling. It's the Fly Team model, full aluminium frame, Kenesis welding, etc. Small dent on the top tube, but nothing that would keep me from riding it (200+ lbs).

I've got a couple bikes I'm looking to build up at the moment, otherwise I'd build this one up. Also have a set of brand new SRAM x.7 (9 speed) shifters and some other goodies I've been collecting in the last few months.

12. The following user says "Thank You" to ColonelCash for this useful post:

Thanks
    ColonelCash,

Many thanks, but I just can't handle a project bike right now. I'm really looking for a rideable old mountain bike in decent condition. My 5-year-old is about to graduate from training wheels and I'm afraid I'll soon be left in the dust.
    Last edited by Chrispy; 05-12-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks
    Hey Hasbin, I have an 18" Chromoly giant Boulder if you are interested. Here is a link to a bikepedia page with specs clicky. --- {EDIT - Oops! The link goes between the quotes, and the 'clicky' goes between the brackets -got it for ya - but for next time. } --- Its spec'd pretty much like the bike link; the only problem is I dont have a front wheel for it. I thought, however, that maybe some other nice gentlemen out there might be able to accomodate you pretty reasonably.

Its got some paint wear on the rear chainstay and some paint chips from a bike lock that hung on it, but I got a new bottom bracket and chain for it. PM me if your interested or if you want pics of the real bike. I would take $75 but bear in mind there is no front wheel. I even have a few spare handle bars and stems if you would like to find the optimal fit for you no extra charge.

15. The following user says "Thank You" to Myersmv for this useful post:

Murfreesboro, TN Chattanooga, TN Newark, OH
    Thanks

Cool bike info

For that wheel issue, I have a set of Mavic Crossride wheels that are only a year old that might solve that problem. I'd make you a terrific deal on both wheels. I had a set of Stan's built with Chris King hubs and no longer need these. Good luck!

17. The following user says "Thank You" to steelersfanmichael for this useful post:

Thanks
    See. I knew there were some other good-natured fellows out there. Good lookin' out steelersfanmichael, and thank you mysterious moderator for the edit. Got it for next time.

On a more serious note... GO BROWNS! WOOF, WOOF, WOOF!

Murfreesboro, TN Chattanooga, TN Newark, OH
    Thanks
    I will say thank you for the nice message, then you had to go and say "Go Browns" I know you probably meant "GO STEELERS" It's a common mistake by the lake, I mean, it happens :-) Just messin with you.

Thanks
    Hey, if hasbin doesn't take the boulder I know a kid in my youth group it would be perfect for.

Thanks
    A big thank you to Myersmv (much good karma to you!) for hooking me up with his old bike and to everyone else who contributed. You guys are great.

Now, my new bike is happy and free, and I enjoy looking at it, but we'd really like to start riding. Does anyone have a used 26" quick-release front wheel and possibly a tire to sell?

hasbin
    Last edited by Chrispy; 05-14-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks
    I've got a rim and tire, although the tire could use replacing in the near future. It came off a bike I got in Craigslist.

EDIT: It's a rim brake wheel.
    Last edited by ColonelCash; 05-14-2010 at 10:07 AM.

23. The following user says "Thank You" to ColonelCash for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hasbin View Post
    A big thank you to Myersmv (much good karma to you!) for hooking me up with his old bike and to everyone else who contributed. You guys are great.

Now, my new bike is happy and free, and I enjoy looking at it, but we'd really like to start riding. Does anyone have a used 26" quick-release front wheel and possibly a tire to sell?

I'm posting this in new thread too.

hasbin
    I can hook ya up with a wheel and tire. It's a rim brake wheel. Not disc compatible.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

25. The following user says "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    ColonelCash and Bikeme,

PM me the details please! Would be nice to be riding this weekend if possible.

Edit...
    Yes, I need a rim brake wheel.

Best,

hasbin

Thanks
    Thanks for the Shiner, hasbin! Totally wasn't expecting that, very kind of you.

Hope that wheel worked out for ya.

28. The following user says "Thank You" to ColonelCash for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks again for the wheel, Colonel. You really helped me out. It's on and seems to be holding air. Haven't had a chance to ride yet--#%&@$! rain.

Shiner, the best domestic brew in the land! Enjoy.

30. The following user says "Thank You" to Chrispy for this useful post:

Thread Information