Thread: Mousetail Challenge - Anyone going?

Spring Hill. Mainly ride Chickasaw, L4 & MB
    Thanks

Mousetail Challenge - Anyone going?

Never been there before and the weather hasnt really allowed anytime for me to get out there before next weeks race. Anyone going out there next weekend or been there before? Any info on what to expect would be cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    If the rain, in Perry County doesn't stop there may not be a race. Last I heard, from a local, it is mostly underwater. I hope this rain stops. Enough is enough.

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    The trail is a lot of fun to race on. Lots of climbing in the 1st part, then a long crazy downhill. Good crowd puts on the race.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 731 Posts

it is right beside TN River

so Robert's info may be correct. Not too much down low, as I remember, but there are some creeks that could carry some flood water far from the Tennessee R. Best to call the park and find out. I have ridden it. would be good to pre-ride. parts are technical and pretty rooty, with a fair amount of climbing.
    --Bob S.

We need you all. Please join today.
    -- -------o----------o---------o------------
    '10 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er - Seriously Loving it. -great bike.
    '05 Rnj Ano Santa Cruz Blur Classic,
    1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'
    Spc'lzd Roubaix Comp road bike

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    If anything is flooded it's the start area - but I doubt it. The place drains as good or better than MBell so it should be good, even if we get more rain. Great trail!!!

See ya there,

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Cool deal, thanks to all of you for the info, i appreciate it. Im new to the sport and to Nashville so still figuring a lot out. This website and all of the folks in this area have been great helping with info and tips. Speaking of info, what is the Fat Tire Festival all about? Thanks again for the info.

Thanks

Trail is prep'd

I rode at Mousetail on Friday, May 14. It is obvious that several volunteers have been working on the trails to make it ready for the race. The rain effects are everywhere and you will need to be alert to the technical difficulties.

It is not a well-worn fast course; it is more primitive. Keeping an eye on where the trail goes is a challenge with all the downhill "trails" made by the heavy rains. I'm hoping it will be more obvious on race day after some others ride it.

The climbs really hurt. I went to granny gear multiple times but it may have been my condition--I had a cold and I felt like I only had 2/3rds lung capacity.

8. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Jailbreak for this useful post:

Thanks
    How would you rate the climbs compared to Cotton Mill Preserve? The elevation is 1100 where Cotton Mill is 1500 so i would assume there are slightly less climbs? Im taking off work tomorrow to go check it out since the weekends have been full of rain so i hope to get in a good pre-ride in for this Sunday.

Thanks
    The Mousetail schedule is up. Looks like a blast - TT is a 2 mile loop with a 1 mile downhill run finish (which of course means a 1 mile accent first). Starts at 1 pm Saturday.

The XC race is Sunday and consists of a 7.8 mile loop with 1100 ft of climbing per lap. After a 23 mile race at LBL, 15 miles will be a nice change.

The rain on Friday will make the coarse better - with similar ground as Montgomery Bell.

We'll be camping

Steve

Sponcered by: http://www.jacksonspokes.org/

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ac...dGIybmNn&hl=en
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color

but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

11. The following user says "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    How long of a drive is it to Mousetail from Nashville?? How was the course on Saturday???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edrod View Post
    How long of a drive is it to Mousetail from Nashville?? How was the course on Saturday???
    It's only about 1.5 to 2 hours from Nashville. I ussually go through Columbia and head out 412. It is right off 412 at the river. About 1 hour from columbia.

Not there, would like to know the trail condition myself.
    "Your Mr. Stevens?"

Thanks
    I rode it on Wed and parts were a little muddy. The trail isnt fast by any means since it doesnt seem to be ridden often. It would be a pretty sweet place if it was ridden more but since it isnt, the trail was soft so i couldnt carry my normal speed. Parts remind me of Montgomery Bell though. Lots of climbing but the downhill was pretty cool. I wasnt sure what the race course was so i did the green, yellow and then even did the fire roads. Not sure how it is now after the rain on Thur and Fri though.

Thanks
    I rode the TT Saturday and the XC today. Trail conditions were awful, but I'm looking forward to going back there when it is dry. Lots of portions of the trail were very muddy. Combined with all the climbing and the heat it was vicious. With the exception of the mud, the trail was well maintained. The parts which were just leaf covered rode really well. Great trail if you want to blow your legs up with lots of climbing.

16. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to EasilyObsessed for this useful post:

Thanks
    Man that place really kicked my grass

Three Hrs and a few minutes. Worst conditions that I have ever endured. I could not believe how slick it got. Parts actually improved through the day while others just got more mushy. The only things that could have made it worse would have been a higher humidity and temperature and possibly an overnight rain. The high elevation stuff was like Montgomery Bell - basically packed and dry. The lower elevations were slick as snot in places.

But I endured. I wanted to bail, but after doing the 1st lap in 1:2?, I knew that a 3 hr time was possible. This amount of time is about my continuous limit.

And, I found out that 2 guys from the 40+ group had bailed for whatever reason - that meant at least a 9 out of 11 - my best Cat 2 finish yet. So I kept going. Luckily I did not run out of water and had 3 gels with me. Plus the Scouts were manning an aid station. I grabbed a Gatorade bottle with about 3 miles to go. It seemed to help.

One kind of weird thing that happened - some Cat 3 guys passed me at around mile 3 on my second lap. About 2 miles later, I passed them after they were wiped out by the heat.

All in all, I'm glad I finished. It was very difficult to keep going. I did have about 4 or 5 spills on the trail with only 1 small cut and a bruise to remind me. But I finished

And it was a big weekend for Charlie too - he beat my TT time by about 30 seconds and my 1st lap time by a few minutes. I just wish I could have started at 8:10 like him - it was much cooler.

And thanks to the Jackson Spokes volunteers that set everthing up and prepped the trail.

Steve

18. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    I forgot my camera, but I came across some other photos from the event: http://www.frambachphotography.com/2...tail-Challenge

20. The following user says "Thank You" to EasilyObsessed for this useful post:

Thanks

Hi.

Een speciaal e-boek 71 tips voor het afslanken http://www.100iki.ru

Zelfs wanneer u moeite heeft gewicht te verliezen, of als u hardnekkig lichaamsvet heeft dat maar niet weg wil, zelfs wanneer u het helemaal heeft opgegeven, dan nog gaat u door deze bewezen technieken helemaal anders over gewichtsverlies nadenken. Je vraagt je af waarom niemand je dit ooit eerder verteld heeft. (E-boek downloaden)

Thanks

parser google

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Thread Information