Thread: Tour of California...

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts

Tour of California...

Just started yesterday I watched the first stage so just thought I would start a thread if anyone wants to chime in..

First stage was what I expected except at the end when it looked like a lot of good riders decided to risk it.. Tom Boonen took a good spill in the end and had some nice road rash on his right side

But as expected Cavendish sprinted the win..

C

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

2. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,913 Times in 939 Posts
    I like the new Radio Shack kits....they look good!
    Kelly Benward
    Team RideforReading.org

4. The following user says "Thank You" to FullSquishy for this useful post:

Mod
    Thanks
    Surprised that Levi did not win the stage (stage two rolled into his hometown) Levi is sitting in 12th place..

sould have been a nasty day road in the rain most of the day..

interesting part is that Amgen is trying to get this race listed as one of the "grand tours" the level of support that shows up at the race each day as well as watchers on TV will help this push, personally it would be cool to have some of the big tours in the USA

C

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

6. The following user says "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    That would be cool. How do you get to be a grand tour?
    What are the grand tours now?
    Tour de France (obviously)
    Giro de Italia
    Vuelta de Espana ?
    Tour de Suisse ?
    "Your Mr. Stevens?"

8. The following user says "Thank You" to Daniel for this useful post:

Mod
    Thanks
    Traditionally the Grand Tours are the three European Stage Races... Tour of France (est. 1903), held in July, Tour of Italy (est. 1909), held in May, and the Tour of Spain (est. 1935), held in September.

Not sure how you become one except by working through the ASO - they did say on the TV that one stance they are taking is by having it in the US as well it makes for a more global audience...

SORBAMIDTN

10. The following user says "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    http://tracker.amgentourofcalifornia.com/

That website has it streaming live after the race starts (or it is on Versus from 4pm - 6pm).' Disappointed that yesterday they couldn't get any footage because the planes couldn't get in the air, it must have been a miserable day of cycling.

I'm looking forward to the TT Saturday, with all the big names in the race I'm curious how the are going to stack up just over a month before the TdF.

12. The following user says "Thank You" to EasilyObsessed for this useful post:

Thanks
    I finally got to watch both stages last night on my DVR. I'm still trying to figure out what happened with Boonen in stage 1. It was a very nasty spill. And why was his teammate holding on to his seat as they rode in? I think Cavendish has stirred up a lot of animosity with his antics and statements over the last couple of months and guys are going to do anything they can to beat him, no matter the risk.

I'd like to see Levi, or Michael Rogers of HTC come away with the GC win, I think. I could get excited about a Chris Horner win too, but unless Levi goes down, Horner won't get a chance.

14. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to shockfinder for this useful post:

Mod
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shockfinder View Post
    And why was his teammate holding on to his seat as they rode in?
    he was pushing him in - you will see this occasionally they where close and they did not get a time penalty (by the rules if you go down within I think 500 you get the same time as the group you where with when you went down)

I think Cavendish has stirred up a lot of animosity with his antics and statements over the last couple of months and guys are going to do anything they can to beat him, no matter the risk.
    Yea I liked that he stated he would win Stage 1 3 days prior.. he is a smack talker but he can pull it off in the sprints, as long as they let him sprint it out every day he will continue to win..

I'd like to see Levi, or Michael Rogers of HTC come away with the GC win, I think. I could get excited about a Chris Horner win too, but unless Levi goes down, Horner won't get a chance.
    I agree, I am a Lance fan boy so I would like to see him make a statement prior to the tour but I doubt that would happen... My second pic would be to see Levi win it again it is nice for a home town boy to win....

C

SORBAMIDTN

16. The following user says "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post
    he was pushing him in - you will see this occasionally they where close and they did not get a time penalty (by the rules if you go down within I think 500 you get the same time as the group you where with when you went down)

Yea I liked that he stated he would win Stage 1 3 days prior.. he is a smack talker but he can pull it off in the sprints, as long as they let him sprint it out every day he will continue to win..

I agree, I am a Lance fan boy so I would like to see him make a statement prior to the tour but I doubt that would happen... My second pic would be to see Levi win it again it is nice for a home town boy to win....

C
    I think it's 3 KM actually that a crash gives you the same time. I didn't know if he was pushing him or just trying to pull now a ripped cycling kit for a bit of modesty, because he was sure torn up. I kind of liked Cav until he started putting down Greipel earlier this year and the Tour of Romandie thing was completely uncalled for. I don't want to be a LA fan, but I can't help but watch and admire. I DO like Levi a lot though.

18. The following user says "Thank You" to shockfinder for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    I don't think Boonen was being pushed, I think he had a rip in the crack of his shorts and his teammate was covering up the area where the good Lord split him.

Thanks
    Isn't RS racing for Levi (first) to win assuming he can? I thought that was game plan for the TdCA.

Regarding Cavendish, how much of a freak of nature, athletically, must you be to be able to talk that kind of smack to the best in the world and back it up. Crazy.
    "Your Mr. Stevens?"

21. The following user says "Thank You" to Daniel for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Isn't RS racing for Levi (first) to win assuming he can? I thought that was game plan for the TdCA.

Regarding Cavendish, how much of a freak of nature, athletically, must you be to be able to talk that kind of smack to the best in the world and back it up. Crazy.
    Yeah, they're racing for Levi. Cavendish? Meh...dude can't climb.

Thanks
    I am recording every stage and Day 2 was incredibly boring since they had no video. I love getting to watch the scenery. Amazing how different the locations are each day.

24. The following user says "Thank You" to 00accord4cyl for this useful post:

Thanks
    Feeling good about Zabriskie, Rogers, and Levi being in the top. Loved watching the tactics during the climb of Bonny Doon. Unfortunately, the program went longer than my DVR was set to record so Iddin't see the finish. I assume they'll show it about a dozen times in today's coverage.

26. The following user says "Thank You" to shockfinder for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I'm pissed about coverage.
    Stage 2 not covered due to rain. Ican forgive that.
    Stage 3 cut off the end for hockey
    Stage 4 missed the last 3Km thanks to the progam going long and dvr cutting off on the hour.

It be really nice to watch a full freaking stage. /rant

Adam

28. The following user says "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Mod
    Thanks
    Zabriskie is still in the lead... I did not get to watch it last night so I had to read the reports...

Today should be an AWESOME stage nice large climb at mile 50..

And Friday will be good also..

I really want to see the Time Trial on Saturday so hopefully a good cold drink will accompany me..

C

SORBAMIDTN

30. The following user says "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    I feel your pain Adam. I know hockey is probably a bigger money draw, but cutting out with 2 miles left in the race is ridiculous. I haven't seen stage 4 so it looks like I'll just skip it and go on to stage 5. They only rehash the previous stage's action about 15 times, so I'll get to see the good stuff that way. I think I'm going to try to get home early enough to watch the 4pm showing rather than watch it on DVR today. Good to hear Zabriskie is still in the lead. On a separate note, did you see Landis has finally admitted to doping? I'm angry I read his stupid book now!

32. The following user says "Thank You" to shockfinder for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,913 Times in 939 Posts
    Stage 4 had an interesting ending! I'll won't tell you about it but it was surprising.
    Kelly Benward
    Team RideforReading.org

34. The following user says "Thank You" to FullSquishy for this useful post:

Thanks
    Saw an article today on BikeRumor.com that Landis admit's doping! What a putz.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Saw an article today on BikeRumor.com that Landis admit's doping! What a putz.
    Finally...and then starts slinging mud at Armstrong, et al. NOt saying they didn't, but why does everyone who is caught at something then have to start talking about everyone else. Dude, you're a big boy...you made your choice. If you read his book you would only be angrier about the fact he doped. What a liar. Of course, the WADA, etc. aren't exactly know for just practices.

And thanks for not spoiling it for us FS!

37. The following user says "Thank You" to shockfinder for this useful post:

Thanks
    Roid Landis must be insane - he spent a ton of money on his own defense and wrote a book about his innocence. Why is he even on a team anymore? We should have the all doping squad it could consist if Vino, DiLuca and Roid Landis.

And now back to the ATOC!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meanjoe View Post
    I'm pissed about coverage.
    Stage 2 not covered due to rain. Ican forgive that.
    Stage 3 cut off the end for hockey
    Stage 4 missed the last 3Km thanks to the progam going long and dvr cutting off on the hour.

It be really nice to watch a full freaking stage. /rant

Adam
    Adam, just DVR the the reair at 10pm, its only an hour long... no race cut off for hockey and it doesn't run over the hour. didn't help with the rain though.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Team Bikers Choice

40. The following user says "Thank You" to radiation for this useful post:

Mod
    Thanks

OK just read the Landis stuff on the WSJ... my question us will this pull Radio Shack and BMC out of the pro peleton? based on the rules if under allagations a team can be pulled remember the tour a few years back???

Any thoughts??

C

SORBAMIDTN

42. The following user says "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    What is WSJ, so I can read about it.
    "Your Mr. Stevens?"

44. The following user says "Thank You" to Daniel for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post

OK just read the Landis stuff on the WSJ... my question us will this pull Radio Shack and BMC out of the pro peleton? based on the rules if under allagations a team can be pulled remember the tour a few years back???

Any thoughts??

C
    Can you hijack your own thread?

I doubt it will get them pulled because Landis himself says he has no documentation. And wasn't there more than just allegations with Operation Puerto? I'm not saying I believe LA is innocent, but it's kind of like baseball...everyone is presumed guilty until proven innocent, and then they are just presumed to have beaten the system somehow. On the other hand I found this quote from WADA to be enlightening:

"WADA looks forward to these further investigations and enquiries by those responsible."

Of course they look forward to it...they've been chasing Armstrong for years.

Anyway...

46. The following user says "Thank You" to shockfinder for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    What is WSJ, so I can read about it.
    Wall Street Journal

48. The following user says "Thank You" to shockfinder for this useful post:

Thanks
    Okay, I'm obviously not as educated as I thought. Got it. Read it.

Not sure what to think. I have nothing to go on but gut. It tells me he is being honest about his use. About everyone elses? Who knows. I feel the same as you, that it is very similar to baseball. The unfortunate truth is probably that a lot of people have or are doing it. We'll get probably get the whole story on this right after we find out who killed Kennedy and have a poke at the aliens at Area 51.
    "Your Mr. Stevens?"

50. The following user says "Thank You" to Daniel for this useful post:

Mod
    Thanks
    Yes WSJ.... Click for article..

Another good read Clicky again

I guess no way to know if this is the real deal or not, but anyway here's the supposed letter. Nice to see USA cycling was still trying to protect its riders

2002: I was instructed on how to use Testosterone patches by Johan Bruyneel
    during the During the Dauphine Libere in June, after which I flew on a
    helicopter with Mr Armstrong from the finish, I believe Grenoble, to San
    Mauritz Switzerland at which point I was personally handed a box of 2.5 mg
    patches in front of his wife who witnessed the exchange. About a week
    later, Dr Ferrari performed an extraction of half a liter of blood to be
    transfused back into me during the Tour de France. Mr Armstrong was not
    witness to the extraction but he and I had lengthy discussions about it on
    our training rides during which time he also explained to me the evolution
    of EPO testing and how transfusions were now necessary due to the
    inconvenience of the new test. He also divulged to me at that time that in
    the first year that the EPO test was used he had been told by Mr Ferrari,
    who had access to the new test, that he should not use EPO anymore but he
    did not believe Mr Farrari and contin
    ued to use it. He later, while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before
    the Tour de France, tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr
    Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with
    Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden.

2003: After a broken hip in the winter, I flew to Gerona Spain where this
    time two units (half a liter each) were extracted three weeks apart. This
    took place in the apartment in which Mr. Armstrong lived and in which I was
    asked to stay and check the blood temperature every day. It was kept in a
    small refrigerator in the closet allong with the blood of Mr Armstrong and
    George Hincapie and since Mr. Armstrong was planning on being gone for a few
    weeks to train he asked me to stay in his place and make sure the
    electricity didn't turn off or something go wrong with the referigerator.
    Then during the Tour de France the entire team, on two different occasions
    went to the room that we were told and the doctor met us there to do the
    transfusions. During that Tour de France I personally witnessed George
    Hincapie, Lance Armstrong, Chechu Rubiera, and myself receiving blood
    transfusions. Also during that Tour de France the team doctor would give my
    room mate, George Hincapie an
    d I a small syringe of olive oil in which was disolved andriol, a form of
    ingestible testosterone on two out of three nights throughout the duration.

I was asked to ride the Vuelta a Espana that year in support of Roberto
    Heras and in August, between the Tour and the Vuelta, was told to take EPO
    to raise my hematocrit back up so more blood transfusions could be
    performed. I was instructed to go to Lances place by Johan Bruyneel and get
    some EPO from him. The first EPO I ever used was then handed to me in the
    entry way to his building in full view of his then wife. It was Eprex by
    brand and it came in six pre measured syringes. I used it intravenously for
    several weeks before the next blood draw and had no problems with the tests
    during the Vuelta. Also during this time it was explained to me how to use
    Human Growth Hormone by Johan Bruyneel and I bought what I needed from Pepe
    the team "trainer" who lived in Valencia along with the team doctor at that
    time. While training for that Vuelta I spent a good deal of time training
    with Matthew White and Michael Barry and shared the testosterone and EPO
    that we had and discu
    ssed the use thereof while training.

Again, during the Vuelta we were given Andriol and blood transfusions by the
    team doctor and had no problems with any testing.

2004: Again the team performed two seperate blood transfusions on me, but
    this time Bruyneel had become more paranoid and we did the draws by flying
    to Belgium and meeting at an unknown persons appartment and the blood was
    brought by "Duffy" who was at that time Johans assistant of sorts. The
    second of which was performed on the team bus on the ride from the finish of
    a stage to the hotel during which the driver pretended to have engine
    trouble and stopped on a remote mountain road for an hour or so so the
    entire team could have half a liter of blood added. This was the only time
    that I ever saw the entire team being transfused in plain view of all the
    other riders and bus driver. That team included Lance Armstrong, George
    Hincapie and I as the only Americans.

2005: I had learned at this point how to do most of the transfusion
    technicals and other things on my own so I hired Allen Lim as my assistant
    to help with details and logistics. He helped Levi Leipheimer and I prepare
    the transfusions for Levi and I and made sure they were kept at the proper
    temperature. We both did two seperate transfusions that Tour however my
    hematocrit was too low at the start so I did my first one a few days before
    the start so as to not start with a deficit.

2006: Well you get the idea....... One thing of great signigicance is that
    I sat down with Andy Riis and explained to him what was done in the past and
    what was the risk I would be taking and ask for his permission which he
    granted in the form of funds to complete the operation described. John
    Lelangue was also informed by me and Andy Riis consulted with Jim Ochowitz
    before agreeing.

There are many many more details that I have in diaries and am in the
    process of writing into an intelligible story but since the position of USA
    Cycling is that there have not been enough details shared to justify calling
    USADA, I am writing as many as I can reasonably put into an email and share
    with you so as to ascertain what is the process which USA Cycling uses to
    proceed with such allegations.

Look forward to much more detail as soon as you can demonstrate that you can
    be trusted to do the right thing.

Floyd Landis

SORBAMIDTN

52. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    Look forward to much more detail as soon as you can demonstrate that you can
    be trusted to do the right thing.

Now that's just funny!

54. The following user says "Thank You" to shockfinder for this useful post:

Thanks
    And Lance is out.... Crashed at mile 11, caught the peloton by 13, dropped back to the team car and is headed to the hospital for xrays.

56. The following user says "Thank You" to EasilyObsessed for this useful post:

Thanks
    Maybe the truth is out; time for all to come clean.

Thanks
    If all of said doping is true. (I hope it is not)
    What ever happend to honor among thieves?

Tim

59. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to TWB for this useful post:

Thanks
    I would like to be the first one to admit that I have blood doped by eating Martin's Bar-B-Que before and after a training ride.

61. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    I would like to be the first one to admit that I have blood doped by eating Martin's Bar-B-Que before and after a training ride.
    I read somewhere that eating too much Bar-B-Que will make your hair fall out.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

63. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thread Information