Thread: Hamilton Creek to be rebuilt - SUCCESS!

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts

Hamilton Creek to be rebuilt - SUCCESS!

Just received a message from Traci Bennett-Hobek at Warner Parks who has worked tirelessly to make this project happen for the MTB Community.

>Success!
    >
    > First, a big thanks to Mike for hanging in there with the RFP for the Hamilton Creek mountain bike trail improvements. Thank you for working with Long Cane Trails to make this happen!
    >
    > I just spoke with Bill Victor of Long Cane Trails. He will be sending the signed contract this week and his insurance papers will be finalized by the end of the week as well.

They will be flagging in a few weeks and we will get a major portion of the work down during the April 20th weekend IMBA trail care crew work day.

Thanks Traci for all your help!

Tim Spencer
    Last edited by Chewieez; 03-28-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Man I wish you could edit the titles! Yes, I know how to spell Success...( I edited it for you Tim---BountyHunter )

I currently live in Mount Juliet Tennessee.
    Thanks
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing? What is wrong with HC? I get really scared whenever companies come in to tamper with trails.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,107 Posts
    WOW! That is killer news!!

Glad to hear Bill Victor stayed with it as well! I can't wait to help out!

(Tim- I will change the title for you...master speller! )
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    It should be a good thing... Long Cain has built some amazing trails and they seem very interested to what the users of the area have to say.

I know Tim, Myself, and many others have expressed to them that the trail is "THE" trail in Nashville and should remain a fun trail with many obstacles.. I think they will listen..

We must also be aware some things will change I am sure some parts of the trail we be re routed but in the end the change should be good.

C

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by encyclopediabrown View Post
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing? What is wrong with HC? I get really scared whenever companies come in to tamper with trails.
    I'm thinking of it as necessary thing, though I am struggling with losing some of what makes HC, HC. Overall it is a good thing and it is awesome to see Metro putting $$ towards the trail.

There was a long discussion on the old NMB board with Bill Victor (Owner of Long Cane Trails,LLC) You should give it a read for some back story.

---> Here is the link: http://z10.invisionfree.com/NMB/inde...topic=1675&hl=

Basically HC needs a lot of rerouting to get trail off of fall lines and stop erosion. Yes, we will probably lose some sections that we all like, but the trail should be more sustainable and require less effort to maintain.

I hope others will chime in with more explanation (better explanation)...(Chris Holstein? Tim? Bill?)

I think it's great news though and I'm looking forward to helping out!!!
    Last edited by Chewieez; 03-28-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: I see Chris already replied above me.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

FreshieandZero

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by encyclopediabrown View Post
    Yo Brown - it's a VERY good thing. They are using rider input and will not be removing the "hallmark" sections of HC like the Pinnacle Downhill. Riders of HC are like abused wives...hang with me here - we are so used to riding old eroded nasty rooted mud damaged trails we think it's cool and don't know the difference! The Pinnacle climb is CRAP! and would be much better if it were fixed. Some people like the challenge of it, but it is terribly eroded as is the section next to the Bayview subdivision known as the South Expressway. That will be fixed, the trail will be BETTER and will be built to IMBA standards making it last longer and sustainable as opposed to the eroded trails we have now.

I understand the concern that things won't be as fun - they will be 10 times more fun and wont' stay muddy for a week after it rains like is has in the past.

Tim

Thanks
    I think this is great news as well!!

It will be hard to lose some of the old lines... but, I'm sure once the new trail is cut and hopefully some drainage issues are resolved.. we will be in hammy bliss all over again. Change can be great, and I have a feeling that with all of the people involved in this, it's going to have a great outcome.

Great work and congratulations to everyone who stuck with this and sought it through.. Looks like we'll be breaking in some new single track very soon!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez View Post
    I'm thinking of it as necessary thing, though I am struggling with losing some of what makes HC, HC.
    Don't worry Wyatt Earp - we will make sure that the Hallmark sections of HC remain intact and/or improved upon. They are going with a lot of rider input on this. This has been years in the making - it's very exciting!

Mod
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez View Post
    (Tim- I will change the title for you...master speller! )
    Now I know I can not spell but in your Edited line you have

"Last edited by Chewieez : Today at 11:18 AM. Reason: Man I wish you could edit the titles! Yes, I know how to spell Success...( I edited it for you Time---BountyHunter )"

I like that his name is "TIME" instead of TIM

C

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Mod
    Thanks

A few quotes from the old post...

Tim,
    Thanks for the reply. You will be pleased to know that I have seen dozens of trail RFP (bid documents) and this is the first one that calls for the contractor to out and out work with the local riders. In every discussion I have had w/ Metro Parks, the input of the local riders is mentioned as a key componet of making the changes at Hamilton Creek. Someone at Metro Parks is tuned into what you guys have done and what you want to see happen.

From what I gather, the issue is mainly the fall line trails. My partner came up to the trail last week and loved it. Said it is technical and rocky - and it sounds like everyone wants to keep it that way. Says there is so much rock, the muddy areas can be armored with it and many drops - stepups can be made.

I'll close with letting you know that we ride. We started this company out of the need to build all the miles we wanted down here without the load being on the backs of volunteers. Since 1999, we have managed several local projects and built about 85 miles of singletrack.

I will call you, probably Sunday evening. You are pretty busy today with the FTF.

Thanks again,
    Here's a video of something we just finished down here. Different style than Hamilton Creek, but fun nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoWyd_tUnBE
    The Owner of Long Cane Trails, Bill Victor, has won a National Trail Award in 2006 for his work on trails in South Carolina.

Bill Victor

"The many mountain bicycling and hiking trails in the Central Savannah River area have blossomed from the hard work of a "detonator in the explosion of trails," Bill Victor. Bill is a member of the Central Savannah River Chapter of the Southern Off-Road Bicycling Association; South Carolina State Representative for the International Mountain Bicycling Association; and Owner/Manager of Long Cane Trails, LLC.

Bill and a group of about 20 riders founded the Central Savannah River Chapter with the goal of fomenting excellent trail management and partnerships. What was once ten miles of illegal, eroding, poorly located trail, is now almost 30 miles of professionally designed and constructed trail, designed to be financially and environmentally sustainable for years to come."

Hamilton Creek is the first project I have ever discussed that included "freeride" features. Tracy and Mike may not have understood completely what some people mean by "freeride". But I felt like they understood enough to know that it was really un-common on public lands in the USA and that it was what alot of you guys wanted at HC. And that's why they wanted it.
    I know Tim hates quotes

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks

Great success!

Seriously, I haven't ridden HC, but I've heard great things about it, and if they're doing work that's going to make it better......Wa wa weewa! (sorry, couldn't resist again).

Later.
    >>>JOHN 14:6<<<
    '06 Trek 6500 - Blue
    '14 Toyota Tacoma
    GO FORT CAMPBELL FALCONS!!
    GO OAKLAND RAIDERS!
    GO NEW YORK YANKEES!
    GO LOS ANGELES LAKERS!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    They will be flagging in a few weeks and we will get a major portion of the work down during the April 20th weekend IMBA trail care crew work day.
    Great news!!!

This begs the question how many miles of rerouting will there be? What is a good estimation of how long this will take? Since it is being done by pros, does that mean a fairly short turnaround? I would like to be a part of the effort somehow.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
    ...I would like to be a part of the effort somehow.
    As would I... My schedule will be opening up about this time, I'd like to help out in any way possible.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post
    Now I know I can not spell but in your Edited line you have

"Last edited by Chewieez : Today at 11:18 AM. Reason: Man I wish you could edit the titles! Yes, I know how to spell Success...( I edited it for you Time---BountyHunter )"

I like that his name is "TIME" instead of TIM

C
    HAHA...oops!! well that is the joy of the edit feature....it's fixed now!
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

FreshieandZero

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
    I would like to be a part of the effort somehow.
    Same here!! I'm with everyone else in that somewhere inside there are those little worries that we could lose even just one little fun section out there - but much more importantly - I'm super excited about the awesome possibilities that come with having H.C. updated with new trails!!

One thing is certain - If the trail crew opens the work days up for the public to help, it will be IMPERATIVE that as many of us as possible get out there to help!! If we all have the ability to help and give opinions live and in person, but don't ever make it to the workdays and/or even attempt to voice well stated opinions before-hand, our after-thoughts will be understandably un-heard and easily deemed unnecessary. (Stepped into the opinion zone - point being instead of watching, let's all get involved when/if offered the chance!!)

Wow - How exciting is it that Metro is offering up a chance to help make one of the most exciting mountain bike trails in Tennessee even better, and possibly more self-sustainable!?
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    "Dead last is greater than did not finish, which trumps did not start."
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thanks
    I heard that the whole project involves chainsaws, bull dozer's, and a fleet of cement trucks

LOL, just kidding. I'd like to help out to
    -Dave

Jesus Died and Lived to Tell About It

Thanks
    Woot! Very cool.
    Steve Vines
    2008 Trek Fuel EX8
    1994 GT Zaskar

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 718 Posts
    I heard there going to restore that old car in the woods

I currently live in Mount Juliet Tennessee.
    Thanks
    I heard that the whole project involves chainsaws, bull dozer's, and a fleet of cement trucks
    I just threw up in my mouth a little

That's what supposedly happened to my local trail in Stone Mountain GA. It was trurned into a family path. However, the metro division there didn't have a good company like Long Cain Trails driving the changes. I have family in Augusta near where Long Cain is based and the trails there ARE awesome. Much more mountain biking trail systems in that area.

Thanks
    I had no idea that this was going on! This is awesome. HC is my favorite trail, and there is nothing that I would like more than to have some more aggressive freeride style stuff. I have not been active with work days, so I am really looking forward to helping out with this. Thank you to all of you who have been active participants in the improvment of my favorite thing to do!

Mod
    Thanks
    One other thing...

I re-read the old post and we all got a bit negative on Long Cain in the end when we felt they pulled out (to no fault of their own) we really need to give them a good POSITIVE front and let them know what we want..

They really want our rider feedback and they agree the trail has some “landmark elements” So when the open up the meeting for rider feedback we need to show up to give it to them.

Just thought I should say it, they responded on the old thread and I would hate their to be any bad feelings as we move forward..

C
    Last edited by Paddlechris; 03-28-2007 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Well because I can not spell LOL

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post
    One other thing...

I re-read the old post and we all got a bit negative on Long cain in the end when we felt they pulled out (to no fault of thier own) we really need to give them a good POSITIVE front and let them know what we want..

Just thought I should say it, they responded on the old thread and I would hate thier to be any bad fealings as we move forward..

C

I agree!

I also agree with Reed's post earlier. This is the time to put YOUR input into Hamilton Creek. If you wanna have an opinion, now is the time to have it, and back it with volunteer help!!!
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

FreshieandZero

Thanks
    There is an oppurtunity for some people to actually ride with Long Cane and give them feedback as they are marking trail. It is my understanding that Traci is entrusting Sorba to make the call on this, so Sorba members, this is your oppurtunity to have some input that will be long standing! We'll keep you abreast of the times and dates.

Tim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    It is my understanding that Traci is entrusting Sorba to make the call on this, so Sorba members, this is your oppurtunity to have some input that will be long standing!
    Tim
    This is awesome news!!!

Thanks

distance?

will there be any additional miles/ loops added to the trail or will they be reworking whatever is in place and keep the distance approximately the same. thanks in advance. -d

Thread Information