Thread: Reba SL Dual Air 29" fork maintenance question

Thanks

Reba SL Dual Air 29" fork maintenance question

I have a Haro Mary with a REBA SL Dual Air (29") fork that after my last ride became permanently bottomed out. The fork will not hold air in the lower air chamber anymore. The air escapes through the pump head as I unscrew it. The top chamber will hold air, however.

Here are my questions:

1. Is this likely just a blown seal or o-ring in the fork, or something else? Is this a simple fix? (I would like to get better at working on my bikes, this could be a great opportunity) Any online resources or how-to's would be appreciated.

2. Is something like that covered by warranty, or is it considered normal wear and tear? I bought the bike from Sun and Ski (not expected to open for a few more months)...if this is a warranty issue, would another bike shop do the work even though I didn't buy the bike there? (I can provide a receipt showing when I bought the bike)

Thanks for any advice!

Thanks
    I've got a Reba SL 29er also, and although I haven't had that problem, I did rebuild it this winter. For the warranty, I think this is definitely considered wear and tear, and I don't believe this is covered. But I was able to call RockShox and get GREAT technical support when I got stuck with a problem. If you go to the RockShox website you can download guides to rebuild the fork- just make sure you get the right model year, as they are a little different. If you rebuild, make sure you get RockShox seals- Fox seals didn't fit my 2007 fork. And Travis at Bikers Choice can rebuild it if you screw it up- he doesn't make me feel especially stupid if I bring him a project I've already tried and failed. Good luck.
    Team Road Less Traveled
    Niner SIR9
    Ridley Orion Road bike
    Felt F1X cross rig

3. The following user says "Thank You" to chandler for this useful post:

Thanks
    Get it pushed..... Or sell it to me and Ill do it!!!!
    A good ride, good friends and some great beer. Its why we ride....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 419 Posts
    How's the travel? Does it get tight when this happens..? This is because the air is leaking into the lower leg, not the +air side. If this is the case, you need a rebuild and O-ring kit. About $90 in the shop.

If you have good travel and it's not loaded the lower leg assembly with pressure, and if you're techie, you CAN fix this...

Hint for all dual air forks from Rock Shox - even going back to the original SIDs... There should(and it should be checked monthly) a puddle of red(ish) fluid, Redrum, on the top of the air piston assembly.

Further note... lack of lube will square up the O-ring sides and have the -air blow through.

More-over, you do not have to drop the lowers to fix this either. Just back off the nut/bolt at the bottom of the leg, use a rubber mallet and knock it loose. After that, use a long skinny screwdriver to push the assembly up and out - it will stick towards the end of the stantion.

I hope this helps you out!

Proudly servicing the needs of many at The Bike Shop of Johnson City
    AKA: The Bike Wisperer, Credit to: Brian Wray & Co.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chandler View Post
    And Travis at Bikers Choice can rebuild it if you screw it up- he doesn't make me feel especially stupid if I bring him a project I've already tried and failed.

Thanks Bro! I feel it doesn't matter who you are - and I'm not perfect. We have all been on that side of the counter before!
    Proudly servicing the needs of many at The Bike Shop of Johnson City
    AKA: The Bike Wisperer, Credit to: Brian Wray & Co.

Thread Information