Thread: Joelton, Morgan Road Update 10-13-2010

Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 731 Posts

Joelton, Morgan Road Update 10-13-2010

Decided to try to find out what Metro had going on at Joelton, after I read in the Tennessean that Metro Parks had a lot going on at that property. Briefly, Metro is building a community center and park at the old State Tennessee Youth Center property. On the back of that property is 67 acres of woods that we (several SORBA members) looked at in April 2008 with metro parks. Much of the woods are mature, it borders a large stream, and the property has about 140 ft. of elevation change. It is great property for a trail. They were open to the idea, and I produced a "draft" trail map, with about 6 miles of trail, part or all of which would be open to hiking too. Metro has been bogged down on the project because of lack of funding, and multiple personnel changes. The property has numerous old buildings that need to be torn down and cleaned up. Metro has several grants going on the property now, and has used some money to build some kind of fancy pavilion. There will be a walking trail around the open part of the property and there is RTF grant money for that part.

The Parks rep. that I talked to said that they have a contract for redesign of the gym building, and they will put a new roof on that soon. But the actual construction work on that building is off in the future. The building is a mess right now, full of broken glass. So between the buildings that they need to secured or torn down, and the restoration of the main building, the gym, they are far from opening this park. (several years still, my guess).

He also said that the narrow neck of land that connects the woods to the open park area is the only place that will pass inspection for a drain field for the septic tanks. Therefore, we cannot build trail on that area, at least not until they are done with that construction. (no reason in my opinion not to use this space once they get done with construction)

I would like to try to get permission for SORBA Mid TN to get in there now, and begin to lay out some trail, and maybe even get started on some trail building. The ground is fairly steep in places and so much of the trail would ideally be built with a machine. Establishing access would get our "foot in the door" so that we could pursue an MOU on that property, and then maybe pursue a grant from RTF for at least part of the construction. If we cannot get access, then we should still pursue MOU. This property is on Morgan Road in Joelton, only about 12 miles from downtown Nashville.
    --Bob S.

We need you all. Please join today.
    -- -------o----------o---------o------------
    '10 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er - Seriously Loving it. -great bike.
    '05 Rnj Ano Santa Cruz Blur Classic,
    1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'
    Spc'lzd Roubaix Comp road bike

2. The following 12 users say "Thank You" to kindacreeky for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 661 Posts

Thanks
    Thats only about 5 minutes from my house, I'm currently riding between Hammy, Mont Bell and Lock-4. A Closer trail would be Amazing.

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Awesome ..... (second)

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks
    Any update on this? It still on the agenda?
    Rodney

Chumba XCL

Thread Information