Thread: Surly Cross Check

Thanks

Surly Cross Check

Does anyone out there have one of these? If so, what do you think of it as an all around bike? I am looking for something mainly to get mileage this winter when the dirt is too wet to ride. So, I guess my main purpose will be road with some gravel mixed in. Will I be giving up a lot compared to say a more conventional road bike like the pacer? The cross check really appeals to me for its versatility, I just want to make sure I will be happy with it as mainly a road bike primarily, and with some tweaking possibly use it on dirt occasionally.

Thanks
    Awsome bike, tons of versatility.
    Niner EMD
    S-Works Tri-Cross

3. The following user says "Thank You" to scuba steve for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Good choice Curtis. I had one and loved it... I only sold it cause I up graded to a Moots Psychlo-X w/ybb. I rode it on pavement. gravel and dirt. Even did a few CX races on it. Very comfortable bike.

When the trails are wet and it's cold outside. Or you just can't make it to the trail. That's the kinda bike I like to ride. Especially if your going to do a solo ride. You might want to check out some of the Salsa bikes also. Good luck.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

5. The following user says "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,107 Posts
    I have a crosscheck and have enjoyed it for the past 3+ years. http://www.flickr.com/photos/chewiee...th/2318885884/

It is a great do-all bike but of course there will be better bikes for specific purposes. I think it's a great bike for a mountainbiker who wants to ride on the road for fitness/commuting and not for "road rides" with roadies. It's a heavy beast so don't expect too much all out performance in a sprint or such.

It can take some monster tires (think 29er) which is the main advantage over a Pacer or Long Haul Trucker. Also it has fender mounts and full rack mounts, the newer ones have rack mounts on the forks now too. Having the ability to go with a "legit" singlespeed setup is a nice option as well. I have had mine setup with Shimano 105 10 speed since I got it though and it's works flawlessly.

Fit wise they are a little fickle. Be careful and know what your primary purpose will be. Many shops will put you on a size smaller than you normally would ride for a road bike. The top tube on the crosscheck is a bit long so a 54 will fit more like a 55.5 in top tube length. However, the headtube is rather short so there will be some drop from the saddle to bars unless you run a lot of spacers. It's geometry is primary meant for cross racing. The top tube may be a little high if you are cross racing and don't get a size smaller. But if you only do 2-3 cross races a year this probably isn't a big deal.

Sooo.... if you think you will cross race more than road ride then get a size smaller than you normally would for a road bike. If you think you'll ride more road/gravel then get the same size as you'd normally ride.

My one regret is I bought a 54 and for the riding I've been doing most with it for the past few years I would of been more comfortable on a 56. I have 4 spacers under my stem and am using a 17 degree rise 100mm stem to get the handlebars where I like them. In a perfect world I'd ride a 56 and use a straighter stem but it's never been worth the hassle of changing out frames and it's hard to find the white/grey color frames now and I'm a bit vain.

I think the crosscheck will work great for what you're looking for, just make sure to get the correct size.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

7. The following user says "Thank You" to Chewieez for this useful post:

Thanks
    Cool. Thanks for the useful info. What is your height/inseam?

Also you mentioned it could take some larger tires. Just curious if you could squeeze a 29'' wheel in the frame? That would be extremely cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez View Post
    I have a crosscheck and have enjoyed it for the past 3+ years. http://www.flickr.com/photos/chewiee...th/2318885884/

It is a great do-all bike but of course there will be better bikes for specific purposes. I think it's a great bike for a mountainbiker who wants to ride on the road for fitness/commuting and not for "road rides" with roadies. It's a heavy beast so don't expect too much all out performance in a sprint or such.

It can take some monster tires (think 29er) which is the main advantage over a Pacer or Long Haul Trucker. Also it has fender mounts and full rack mounts, the newer ones have rack mounts on the forks now too. Having the ability to go with a "legit" singlespeed setup is a nice option as well. I have had mine setup with Shimano 105 10 speed since I got it though and it's works flawlessly.

Fit wise they are a little fickle. Be careful and know what your primary purpose will be. Many shops will put you on a size smaller than you normally would ride for a road bike. The top tube on the crosscheck is a bit long so a 54 will fit more like a 55.5 in top tube length. However, the headtube is rather short so there will be some drop from the saddle to bars unless you run a lot of spacers. It's geometry is primary meant for cross racing. The top tube may be a little high if you are cross racing and don't get a size smaller. But if you only do 2-3 cross races a year this probably isn't a big deal.

Sooo.... if you think you will cross race more than road ride then get a size smaller than you normally would for a road bike. If you think you'll ride more road/gravel then get the same size as you'd normally ride.

My one regret is I bought a 54 and for the riding I've been doing most with it for the past few years I would of been more comfortable on a 56. I have 4 spacers under my stem and am using a 17 degree rise 100mm stem to get the handlebars where I like them. In a perfect world I'd ride a 56 and use a straighter stem but it's never been worth the hassle of changing out frames and it's hard to find the white/grey color frames now and I'm a bit vain.

I think the crosscheck will work great for what you're looking for, just make sure to get the correct size.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 718 Posts
    You might check this frame too.... Look at the bottom of the page for the FAQ about running 29er wheels in this frame.

http://www.vassagocycles.com/fisticuff/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,107 Posts
    umm I'm 5' 11.5" with a 32" inseam (I think, it may be more like 31-31.5".

You are more than welcome to test ride my Crosscheck whenever...I'm home a lot now with the little one.

You should be able to fit any 29er wheel in the frame (will need to be rim brake) but I don't think the frame will fit a tire wider than a 45c. Most 29er rims may be a little too wide for a tire in the 30-35c range which is what I imagine you'll probably run most of the time.

On my bike I have a 32c set of crosstires that I run frequently and 2 sets of road tires, 28c and 35c.

Also if you plan to run fenders, you won't be able to fit as large of a tire so you will have to stay under a 40c probably, or maybe smaller. I generally just leave my fenders on all the time, the bike is heavy so what's a few more grams.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    A cross check is made to run either 700c wheels or 29er wheels. But not disc tabs.
    http://www.surlybikes.com/frames/cross_check_frame/
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez View Post
    ...Most 29er rims may be a little too wide for a tire in the 30-35c range which is what I imagine you'll probably run most of the time.

On my bike I have a 32c set of crosstires that I run frequently and 2 sets of road tires, 28c and 35c....
    Greg,

I had no issues with fitting 25c - 28c road tires to Stans Arch Rims on my monster cross set up. I've also run 35c to 40c CX tires on these rims many time in the past. I know that 35c will work on other brands as well. The width is not an issue and many road clincher wheels are actually moving to wider rim beds...sort of mimicking the reasons that this has happened with MTB wheels.

By the way, love those bikes. Greg let me ride his on a longer gravel grinder and I found it to be fantastic. I'm only 5'9"ish so the 54 fit me great.

Grant

Thanks
    I have a Salsa Vaya, similiar to the crosscheck but it is setup to specifically run disc's and a 135 spaced rear hub. I use WTB speed disc wheelset. It can take a rather large tire, approximatly 1.9 29er mtb tire. I am running 38c's and have tons of room left.
    Niner EMD
    S-Works Tri-Cross

JCoop is offline Wait, what are we talking about again?
    Thanks
    http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/bik/2044237464.html

Just saw this on CL....very cool.

Thanks
    Are you ready to be jealous? I've been wanting cross check for a while. I bought Jeff's and sold it 13 hours later for the same price I paid for it because I thought I should be a bit more frugal at the time.

So yesterday I walked into a local Memphis shop and they had 1 cross check. It was a 56. They had it on sale for $699. I went home, thought about it, listed some stuff for sale on ebay and CL and raised the $ in a matter of hours. Went back in today. The guy asked if he could help me. I said I wanted to look at the cross check. He said...wait for it, wait for it...we just marked it down today. Brand new with the exact setup listed on the Surly complete bike setup for $599. I thought it was a good deal.

16. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to shockfinder for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'm on the list for a new Salsa Fargo when they come out next month.They redesigned it this year so it can acccept a suspension fork.It can be run disc with 700c or 29er,drop bars or risers.I love the concept of this bike.I plan on riding this in the Kanza if I dont come to my senses first.http://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/

18. The following user says "Thank You" to g-money for this useful post:

Thanks
    I would like to thank everyone for all the good info in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    I'm on the list for a new Salsa Fargo when they come out next month.They redesigned it this year so it can acccept a suspension fork.It can be run disc with 700c or 29er,drop bars or risers.I love the concept of this bike.I plan on riding this in the Kanza if I dont come to my senses first.http://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/
    Do you know what the list price is for a complete bike/frame? I would really like a disc brake compatible frame.

Thanks
    The Salsa dealer in Knoxville said he would have a complete bike by the end of this month,he said it would be around $1400 with the Sram Apex group.That seems like a deal to me.I called every Salsa dealer within driving distance and he was the only one that could get one before Feb.The frameset I believe will be around $600.

Thread Information