Thread: Shutes Branch Trail Work Days

Thanks
    Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,035 Posts

Shutes Branch Trail Work Days

Check out the latest on Shutes - Including a map of the newest section - which is now ridable (just a little rough in places).
    http://nationalmountainbike.com/boar...9856#post99856

We're going to do some trail work soon to finish the last section that was opened up.

The first day is this Sunday (Nov. 14) after lunch (around 1 pm) - we'll meet at the parking spot to organize. This will be a lower effort day since the Lock 4 6-hr race is the day before. I'm not getting the trailer, but will have weed wrenches, pruners, and pick-axes. Bring your favorite tool, some gloves, and SAFETY GLASSES - these are very important! If we have enough folks, we'll split into 2 or 3 small groups. I'd like to concentrate on finishing the last trail work. BTW - watching the Titans loose is not an excuse to not love your favorite trail. LOL - but if you must, DVR or tape it (Like Eric Fisher said he would do), And Sean, Bring JD - Kayleigh can keep him company - I'm dragging her out this time.

The next day planned is December 11 - it's a Saturday - and we'll meet around 8:30 at the bath house near the end of the trail (same place as the last work day). I should have the SORBA trailer for this day (if it's available). And if the forecast is good - we'll work out a cookout - I'll provide burgers and dogs - you provide the rest. I'd really like to know who can come out so we can plan the everything else part. If the weather is bad, we'll send out for some pizza like last winter. This day will be dedicated to more new trail cutting. Tommy should have the last of the perimeter section flagged.

I'll have a few more dates to post up in the near future.

Steve
    Last edited by TNcaveman; 11-08-2010 at 11:26 PM.
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    I can help out Sunday. It's too early to say for sure about the Dec. date.
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    2006 Nissan Frontier

3. The following user says "Thank You" to dcox for this useful post:

Thanks
    I am off saturday night so I should be able to come out too. Taking daughter to UT Martin saturday for to tour campus, but should be back fairly early sat. night. See ya then.

Mike
    Mike

Vassago Jabberwocky

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

5. The following user says "Thank You" to Skoby for this useful post:

Thanks

1 o'clock - finish the end of the trail de-stobbing and buffing plus fixing some areas on the trail. I'll have some tools - weed wrenches, pick-axes, pruners, saw, shovels, buckets, and weed eater. Make sure to bring gloves and safety glasses.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Thanks
    WOW - we had a huge turnout - David (dcox) and William Anderson (Veloteers), plus Charlie and myself.

We worked on the curve near the entrance to the rec area - banked turn made out of crusher-run gravel, trimmed bushes in the area too.

We fixed the section just before the big step-up in the first of the advanced section (~mile 2.5). We were going to just add some clay, but there wasn't anything but rock! So, we removed some rock. Those "little protruding rocks" were actually like 200+ pounds each Dug them up and rolled them out of the way. Filled the holes back in with smaller rocks and topsoil.

Then, we walked the end of the jungle toward the beginning. We removed some dead trees, trimmed the privet back, cleared the big tree that was across the trail, and fixed the creek bypass area that was quickly opened up last winter.

Not too bad for 4 people.

And, I'm looking forward to seeing what Eric and company did last week!!!

Steve

PS Hoping for a better turnout for Dec 11.

Thanks
    I will definitly be there, just but dumb luck I have already taken off from dec. 9th to the 18th. Not doing anything in particular, just want some time off work.
    Sorry I could not make it out last Sunday, but wife had other plans for me. I did get to have a good time with Eric and Brad. I think we made pretty good progress on reroute by saunderville rd. and de-stobbing end of new section.

Mike
    Mike

Vassago Jabberwocky

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

9. The following user says "Thank You" to Skoby for this useful post:

Thanks
    Just finished flagging some new trail in the interior section. Looks fast Tommy should have the final perimeter trail finished before Dec 11.

Steve

PS Trail is pretty wet - let her dry out for a few days before riding.

Thanks
    The work day is nearly here. We have over 1/2 mile flagged and ready to open up. Part of this is in the inside loop area. Should be some faster trail in this area. If it's lightly raining or off and on showers, we'll still be out there. A few people will do some final tweaking to the newest sections - in particular, a few stumps/stobs to remove and a reroute at a bad spot.

If the weather is good, I'll cook up some burgers. William A already volunteered to bring some drinks. We'll need chips / snacks / side dishes. If the weather is bad, maybe pizza?

Hoping for a good turnout.

Steve

PS - a few of us are planning on riding Friday afternoon - hoping to escape from work early - will have my lights!

Thanks
    Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to make it Saturday.

David
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    2006 Nissan Frontier

Thanks
    Trail work is on. Looks like we'll have several hrs of rain free work time. We probably can't do a cookout because it will likely be raining by 11 or 12.

See you around 8-830

Steve

Thanks
    Had a good day with 11 volunteers - cleared at least 1000 ft of trail - with about 700 ft buffed. The final section of the perimeter will need some major stump pulling. The first of the interior section was cut and buffed. It is less dense and a little easier to get ready (at least this part). The rain luckily held off to afternoon.

Thank to all that helped!

15. The following user says "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks

Trail days?

Are there any trail days planned for the near future? Or anyone planning on working out at Shutes?
    Mike

Vassago Jabberwocky

Thanks
    I'll post up something soon. Been real busy.

Anyone want to lead a trail day? MIKE? Just send me a PM and I'll get it sent out.

There is still about 1/2 mile to clear and buff. One section is as bad as any we have been through.

If anyone wants to team up with someone for a day of trail clearing, let me know. I have tools that can be borrowed.

Steve

18. The following user says "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks

By Popular Demand.....

It's that time again. This Saturday (Feb 5th) at 8 am, we're going to start clearing some more trail. We have about 1/2 mile to cut or complete. And if we get enough people, I'll send some out to do a little maintenance on the existing trail.

We'll meet around 8 am and try to start cutting trail by 8:30. There will be signs directing you to the parking spot, the last bathhouse if you do the loop clockwise.

I'll have the brush-cutter, weedeater, weed wrenches, pruners, pick-axes, and back-pack blower. If you have a good rake, pick-axe, favorite pair of pruners or other tools, bring them too. Make sure to label them with your name.

We'll end around 12:30 or so and might send someone out for pizza or head over to Shagor and eat some Indian food.

I'm looking for volunteers to lead some trail work days in Feb - April. Let me know if you can do this.

Steve
    497-4465

Thanks
    I think I might be able to make it out. But I've never been there. Where is it?

21. The following user says "Thank You" to Amy106 for this useful post:

Thanks
    lots of info here: http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

If you are coming from Hermitage / I-40, take Old Hickory Blvd north. Take a right onto Andrew Jackson Pkwy (at the BP) This is a 4 lane road - watch the speed limit in the divided section (radar trap). After about 4 miles, the road turns into Saundersville Rd (a 2 lane). The road winds through residential areas and will drop down to the lake. When you cross the lake, look up to the right and you will see the NWS Radar Tower. The trail is located on this hill side. Take a right on to Needmore Rd. The entrance to the rec area is the first left. On a GPS, put in Weather Service road or Campground Road and the city is likely Old Hickory (or Mt Juliet). I'll have some signs to find where we are parked. The trail is about 8 miles north of I-40.

See ya there,

Steve

Thanks
    I've been wanting to volunteer on trails with people but unfortunately I found out I'm having surgery. So my nose will be stuck in books this weekend trying to get a week ahead in homework and quizzes since I'll be MIA for a while. Not sure how test and pain pills mix...LOL.

Thanks
    We had a turnout of 7 and completed the perimeter trail! With the first section already built in the interior section, we have about 7 miles completed!!! I'll try and get an updated map soon. Eric Fisher has agreed to leading a couple of trail work days. I'll be also setting up a couple before spring. It would be really cool to be at 8 miles by spring. There is more flagging to be done and there is at least 500 to 1000 ft already flagged and ready to clear. If anyone wants to get out and clear some trail, please do so. Just let us know the hours so we can turn them into the rangers and SORBA.

See you next time,

Steve

Thanks

Feb 12 trail work day

Another short notice for trail work this Saturday (Feb 12). My current schedule doesn't have may free day and this Saturday looks like a good one. 8:30 am We will have tools and will be cutting more new trail on the inside area.

Last trail day, 4 of us had an awesome lunch at Shagor Indian in Mt. J. Will likely repeat.

Steve
    Last edited by TNcaveman; 02-09-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Thanks
    I have no tools, but I would like to make it out for this. Anyone else plan on coming out?
    Andy M

Needs more Lefty.

27. The following user says "Thank You" to amillion3 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks Andy and Colin

We had a very light turnout with 4 trail blazers but a successful day, none-the-less.

The interior trail winds from the base of the hill and makes it around to the 2nd bath house (where the dumpster is stored). I walked what was cut and buffed last weekend plus today's work and we've added 0.45 miles this winter season. Only one short section needs de-stobbing, and it's ready to roll.

Attached is a rough map - the established trail is in yellow, the stuff we finished in the fall of 2010 is in red, and the latest is in green.

Eric Fisher (E-Fish) will be leading a couple of trail work days in the near future.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

29. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    What is the long term goal with the trail when it comes to total mileage?

31. The following user says "Thank You" to 00accord4cyl for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 00accord4cyl View Post
    What is the long term goal with the trail when it comes to total mileage?
    We are slightly over 7 miles now - looks like we can get about 8 - 8.5 total.

The main goal is to not let the privet and honey suckle bushes take over!

After we finish trail building, I'm hoping to work on some awkward turns. I have an offer of a dump truck load of clay soil for berm's, but I have to apply for permission to import soil onto COE property. Probably no problem, but it still takes time and effort. However, there are several dump-truck loads of crusher-run limestone gravel (dense grade) already on site which will make killer berms. Just need some shovels and wheel barrows to move it. The DR power wagon is good for this too.

We also have three areas where we need a reroute/extension to open up. These will likely be saved until the winter of 2011/12.

A few other things happening include two possible Eagle Scouts projects to put up the mile markers and connector ID markers, paint the other two bath houses (to get ride of the remaining graffiti), and construction barriers along the NWS road to keep the cars out.

Steve

33. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Sorry about being MIA, the first work weekend I had already scheduled my car to be tuned up. That was a grand invested Last weekend I spent on the couch with the Flu So hopefully I'm ready for the next workday. Hope to see everyone soon.
    Mike

Vassago Jabberwocky

35. The following user says "Thank You" to Skoby for this useful post:

Thanks

More Work Days!

We'll have a trail work day hosted by Eric Fisher on Saturday Feb 26th - 8:30 am. He'll have some tools, as usual. Make sure to bring gloves, safety glasses, and you favorite trail tool.

Eric will likely also lead one or two dates in March - with a couple of weekdays thrown in for those that work weekends. I'll get this posted as soon as I get info from him.

And we'll also have a "final" spring new trail clearing work day on April 23rd. We'll hopefully have great weather and a superdooper cookout at the trail. This might be the end for new trail other than reroutes and a couple of short extensions.

Steve

Thread Information