Thread: WTB-Old Rigid Mountain Bike

Thanks

WTB-Old Rigid Mountain Bike

Looking for a 80's-early 90's rigid MTB. Looking for chromoly frame and frame needs to be L/XL.

Thanks
    I am sure you are looking on craigslist, but that's where I found a nice, 94 Schwinn High Plains (rigid, 4130) for $50. Good luck with your search!
    Andy M

Needs more Lefty.

Thanks
    Do you need a complete bike or just a frame?

Thanks
    Frame and fork would work but I would prefer a complete bike. You can't have too many old parts laying around. I have been checking CL here in HSV as well as N'ville and Chattanooga but haven't found anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    just curious as to why? I have my 1984 Huffy ATB (looks identical to a Specialized that Moab has on display?). It weighs a ton, and I'm only keeping it because we went so many places together.

Good luck in your search.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TNcaveman View Post
    just curious as to why? I have my 1984 Huffy ATB (looks identical to a Specialized that Moab has on display?). It weighs a ton, and I'm only keeping it because we went so many places together.

Steve
    Actually I want an old frame to do a cx race on then use it as a commuter. I have been riding since the 70's worked as a bike mechanic in the 80's and still like to play with old stuff even though I have nicer bikes. Besides I just love the reactions I get from younger guys when the "old dude" on an old school bike drops em.

7. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Clarke33 for this useful post:

Thanks
    FWIW. My first mountain bike was a red 91 Schwinn High Plains . LOVED that bike and rode it thousands of miles in and around Washington, DC without a single problem. I lived there for 10 years and never owned or needed a car.

Quote Originally Posted by amillion3 View Post
    I found a nice, 94 Schwinn High Plains (rigid, 4130) for $50.

9. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Chrispy for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TNcaveman View Post

Steve
    Actually I've been looking at a lot of vintage bikes on the net lately. I'm sure my next bike will be something from the 80's or early 90's. i've ask Mark Dement (MOAB) about a few of his old bikes. he's got a pretty good collection of vintage bikes.

I've got this idea of dressing in vintage cloths , bike equipment and riding a vintage bike in a race. i think SCG would be the perfect place.

In fact. I would love to see some kinda of vintage bike race or vintage bike class at a XC race this year. Maybe when i get my vintage bike i will start a vintage bike club for geezers and lovers of old bikes.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

11. The following user says "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeme View Post
    Actually I've been looking at a lot of vintage bikes on the net lately. I'm sure my next bike will be something from the 80's or early 90's. i've ask Mark Dement (MOAB) about a few of his old bikes. he's got a pretty good collection of vintage bikes.

I've got this idea of dressing in vintage cloths , bike equipment and riding a vintage bike in a race. i think SCG would be the perfect place.

In fact. I would love to see some kinda of vintage bike race or vintage bike class at a XC race this year. Maybe when i get my vintage bike i will start a vintage bike club for geezers and lovers of old bikes.
    Check out the Tweed Run in London. Sponsored by Brooks, looks to be a jolly good time.

http://tweedrun.com/?page_id=90
    - Litespeed Tuscany
    - Specialized StumpJumper

13. The following user says "Thank You" to ColonelCash for this useful post:

Thanks
    I've been looking on Craigslist, all over the South, and there are lots of bikes out there but shipping would be as much as the bike in most cases. I am really hoping I can find something within driving distance in the next few days.

Thanks

I still have a Cinelli leather hairnet and wool Protogs that I raced in back in the 70's and early 80's.

16. The following user says "Thank You" to Clarke33 for this useful post:

Thanks

I would be down for some vintage biking. I've got an 88 stumpjumper that i'm building up for the spring. I'm new on this forum so if there are some others that would be down for this that would be awesome.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gaskill View Post
    I would be down for some vintage biking. I've got an 88 stumpjumper that i'm building up for the spring. I'm new on this forum so if there are some others that would be down for this that would be awesome.
    I've got a early 90's Stump Jumper and a Diamondback Topanga in my garage. Looking to make the Topanga a singlespeed. I'm down for a "vintage" ride someplace.
    - Litespeed Tuscany
    - Specialized StumpJumper

Thanks
    sent pm

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCash View Post
    I've got a early 90's Stump Jumper and a Diamondback Topanga in my garage. Looking to make the Topanga a singlespeed. I'm down for a "vintage" ride someplace.
    got some pics of those?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gaskill View Post
    sent pm
    Replied

Thanks

91 GT Tequesta 20"

I have a 91 ? GT Tequesta 20" hasn't really been rode that much and was always kept inside. Would like to get $75. I'm in Chattanooga

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
    I have a 91 ? GT Tequesta 20" hasn't really been rode that much and was always kept inside. Would like to get $75. I'm in Chattanooga
    PM sent

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
    Did you get my PM?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts

Thanks
    Not sure if you are still looking, but I saw this:

http://nashville.craigslist.org/bik/2227557798.html
    Andy M

Needs more Lefty.

Thanks

Thanks

hddrsrdjo

Thanks