Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Park Conditions-Everyone Post

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts

Rotary Park Conditions-Everyone Post

Clarksvillians (or anybody for that matter) post rotary conditions here!

2. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks

Rotary Park 3/20

I guess I'll start this off, since I made the request. Rode it today and it's looking really good. Still some mud right next to the gravel trail that was recently installed between the two bridges. Also, the flats have some sand and debris on them from the last big rain, but all in all, looking great.

Sadly, I snake bit my rear tire on that little section behind the barn and had to hike my bike all the way out of there. It was also crazy busy at Rotary, seemed like everyone came out to enjoy the weather.

4. The following user says "Thank You" to Mmstonei for this useful post:

Thanks

Rotary 23 Mar 11

Trail is in good shape, a few of the lesser used trails have a good amount of leaf cover on them, there is a good amount of mud still near the gravel prior to the new bridge, and there are a lot of people using the trail (people hiking and out for a walk) along the creek.

6. The following user says "Thank You" to NSDQ_MTBR for this useful post:

Thanks
    Conditions weren't bad yesterday. Some mud next to the gravel near the new bridge, but that was the only real bad patch I noticed.

8. The following user says "Thank You" to Mmstonei for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trails are good. I cut away some thorns that were hanging out over the trail in a few spots a few days ago.

Thanks

8/7/2011

Went out last night. Overall conditions are pretty good, but some slick spots will catch you by surprise if you're not looking out. I had a couple of spills in areas that aren't usually an issue because my wheels came out from under me when I didn't expect it. Wish we could cut back all that growth near the long bridge.
    Last edited by Mmstonei; 08-08-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks
    Went today after work. Few small mud puddles in the normal spots, but the trail overall was good for riding.

12. The following user says "Thank You" to Mk4Matt for this useful post:

Thanks
    Went out for a short ride today. Trails are in great condition.

Thank you to who ever cut the weeds/bushes back under the power lines.

14. The following user says "Thank You" to Mk4Matt for this useful post:

Thanks

Trails are good.

1. The trails at Rotary are looking pretty good right now. The only problems I saw yesterday were those horribly overgrown weeds in the flat part of Red Loop before the long bridge. Also, the other day, we were riding back down the trail from the pavilion and there is a section with an up/down then the kind of rackety bridge right after. That bridge is missing a plank leaving a fairly large gap. I meant to go back and fix it, but didn't get a chance. Let me know if someone else did. Otherwise, I'll pick up some nails and run back there to fix it.

Also, please kill every tick in that place. Lol. I swear they're coming for me in hordes.

Thanks to whoever stabilized the crossing of the rock garden with the big rock across the dry creek bed.
    Last edited by Mmstonei; 08-21-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: mispellings

16. The following user says "Thank You" to Mmstonei for this useful post:

Thanks
    Went this morning and there are a lot of trees, branches and leaves down all over the trails. I went right from the main trail head and immediately ran into a tree across the trail. Just pass the little bridge at the bottom coming back up there were two or three coming across that we had to go around and there is a tree across the very beginning of the flats. A lot of little twigs and leaves covering the trails in a lot of other places too, but those can be ridden over. I'm riding again this afternoon. I'll go left and see what that looks like.

Thanks
    Just wanted to send out a big thank you to all the guys that were out cleaning up Rotary the other day. There were a lot of felled trees and they are now mostly cleared out. Great job!

Thanks
    Went today, trails are in good condition.

Thanks
    ran on thursday and rode on friday. trails look good, still some standing water on the creek trail after/ before the barn turn, but firm and fast there.

Thanks
    Went a few days ago. There are 2 trees down.

One crossing the wide bridge and you go right up the hill toward the rear entrance to the park. Its a fairly large tree you must dismount.

The other is on the trail behind the playground at the top of the park. Its not too big.. I moved it as much as i could and removed the branches making it able to be ridden over.

Thanks
    Rode everything except the downhill by the main entrance and it was all in pretty good shape with the exception of a few muddy spots that are usually muddy this time of year. Hopefully the next wave of rain doesn't soak us too bad and we can get some riding in next week.

Thanks
    In the event anyone looks at this thread I thought I would post the fact that some local clubs have really been showing this trail system some love. New signage is being installed so if you don't know this system, it's getting better!

24. The following user says "Thank You" to guseden for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I rode there this spring. Luckily, a local rode with me because it's a little confussing to get in the good sections. Fun ride. Are there any new trails and a good map yet?

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    I was just out there this morning (11 JULY 2012). Little slick in some places and there's some mud on the trail in spots. I thought it would be okay to ride after yesterday's heat.

The bridge that runs parallel to the creek near the bottom parking lot was pretty slick....so slick that my bike took off without me forcing me to slide across it at the end of our ride.

Later.
    >>>JOHN 14:6<<<
    '06 Trek 6500 - Blue
    '14 Toyota Tacoma
    GO FORT CAMPBELL FALCONS!!
    GO OAKLAND RAIDERS!
    GO NEW YORK YANKEES!
    GO LOS ANGELES LAKERS!

Thanks
    The only map I've seen came from "The Bicycle Center" on Madison Street (just West of the trail a few miles), and they only had a paper copy. That was last year. I live within 20 miles so send me a message sometime and I'd be glad to go over there with you to help navigate if you want. It's a fairly simple layout and not too big but it took me awhile to get comfortable there without a map also so I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by TNcaveman View Post
    I rode there this spring. Luckily, a local rode with me because it's a little confussing to get in the good sections. Fun ride. Are there any new trails and a good map yet?

Steve

28. The following user says "Thank You" to guseden for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thought I'd update this since I rode this morning. The trails are in pretty good shape, some time has been put into clearing leaves, so there's very little guess work in trying to figure out where things go. It's also relatively dry, except for the one spot next to the creek.

The only online map that I know of for Rotary is here: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...a201caf9&msa=0

While the GPS plot there doesn't actually show the flow section near the amphitheater, google maps has started to pick it up, so you can see the finer line there. Also, all the structures (some of which were falling apart/down) in that section of trail have been rebuilt recently.

30. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'll throw an update here for anyone looking for something to do this weekend. Recently, a parcel of land adjoining the park was logged. This is how we found out that a good sized section of trail in the top corner of the park wasn't actually in the top corner of the park. Whoever built the trail (equestrians, presumably, since they tell everyone they built all the trails) strayed into private property. So the trail that was there is completely gone, as often happens when trail gets logged over.

This Sunday at 2pm we will be starting work on building a new section of trail that *is* inside the park. The corridor has been flagged and approved by county P&R, but other than that we have it all to do. Those of you with experience building trails and folks with your own tools will be especially welcome, given that most of the volunteers we have in Clarksville are fairly new to the game, and most of the hard core tools belong to me personally, as the club is still, really, in it's infancy.

For those interested we'll be meeting under the power lines towards the back of the park @2pm. If you're interested and want more details, shoot me an email: cotharyus@gmail.com

PS: Other trails in the park are still in great shape except for a few "perpetual" wet spots.

Thanks
    If your riding plans for the weekend look like they're going to get rain out (bummer!) swing by Rotary park Sunday afternoon (June 9th) at 2pm. We'll be continuing work on the re-route of the trail that was destroyed by logging. Make sure and bring plenty of water, it's going to be a hot one.

33. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Just bought a bike and looking to hit the trail. Is rotary park good to go or is it still being worked on? Thanks

Thanks
    The biggest issue you'll have to worry about at Rotary right now is trail conditions after the rain. It might be ridable on the higher trails (IE stay off the low/flat trails) this afternoon towards evening if it doesn't rain any more today. The re-route is far from done. If you want to help out, we still plan on being here at 2 pm this afternoon.

Thanks
    The trail work day yesterday made good progress on the re-route for the top of the white oak loop. The new route is now open, it's a little rough, but given the available resources, the new trail is going to be much better at this point than riding through the area that was logged.

Thanks

Rotary Park Conditions-Everyone Post

Rode from about 6-9 am this morning. Trail was great!!!!!
    2001 DBR XR8

38. The following user says "Thank You" to Bcole82 for this useful post:

Thanks
    If you get up to Rotary, things are in pretty good shape except for the bridge coming out of the amphitheater section. A stringer broke on it. Replacements have been lined up, planking acquired and the work day to replace the bridge is scheduled for tomorrow. The Amphitheater is still ridable, you just have to turn up the hill rather than down as you come out, and loop back around to the bridge you normally ride in on.

Thanks
    There is now a new bridge in place coming out of the amphitheater section. Of course, with all the rain, trails are wet, but as soon as it dries up some, everything should be good.

Thanks
    Trail conditions: It's wet. Especially if it isn't on the side of a hill. The entire flat section of the White Oak extension has been chewed up and has some pretty good mud holes in it.

Thanks
    Did a lap out here yesterday afternoon when I got back from Lock 4. The trails are in good shape, just a few damp places on some of the lower trails, but conditions aren't bad. After the week we have forecast it should look about like it usually does in summer (dusty).

Thanks
    What's it like? I heard good things about it.

Thanks
    About 7 miles of trail. If you ride the whole thing it's ~1000 feet of elevation. There's very little flat ground, everything is always either going up or down. The Amphitheater section has some good sized jumps and drops. It's more technical than people give it credit for because it's very rooty, and lots of the hardpack is over laid with small loose rock. It's a good ride, especially if you're looking for a change from other places.

45. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hit Rootery for a quick loop after lunch. It's only the second time this year I came out with only dust on my bike - it's dry folks! Dry at last! We'll be working on getting some of the holes in the creek trail out by the tobacco barn filled this weekend.

Thanks
    how many people ride rotary in the winter?
    2001 DBR XR8

Thanks
    also is it usually hold up pretty well?
    2001 DBR XR8

Thanks
    Rotary in the winter is best addressed between 6 and 7:30 AM once freeze thaw cycles start, the goal being to catch the trail frozen solid, otherwise, it's pretty much slop all the time in the winter unless things really warm up and dry up for about a week.

Thanks
    Stay away from Rotary right now. I was up there for the first time in a couple months yesterday, and parts of it that you wouldn't expect (the top part of the white oak loop by the tobacco barn) were just nasty. It's going to take some dry weather, and some time to get it back in shape. There have been huge amounts of traffic rutting things up.

Thanks
    Right after you cross the bridge and go left to start that climb, it got really soupy up there. Had to turn around. What did the red cedar loop look like?
    A wise man once said nothing.

Thanks
    Red Cedar is better, but not perfect. It's been ridden a lot when it was too wet as well, and rutted a bit, but it faces south so it gets more sun, it tends to dry a little faster. I'd still avoid the whole place for at least two more weeks. There are a few places we need to get in and fix some drainages, but the bottom line is the place just got torn up in the freeze/thaw by irresponsible use.

Thanks
    Trails are drying up nicely! Id say ride ready by this weekend.

Thanks
    Depending on how things go, I may hit Rotary up for a scouting ride after we finish up at Bell's Bend. That will mean bailing if we run into particularly bad conditions though.

Thanks
    Rotary is basically good to go again. Unfortunately, the abuses of this past winter will be evident on some of the trails for quite some time to come. There's significant braiding in places, and some of the switchbacks are so wide I could drive my truck around them. I'll spare everyone my illness about people's lack of respect for trails.

Thanks
    I appreciate all the workers who maintain Clarksville's trails! I'm feeling motivated to contribute rather than consume. Is there a work day schedule for summer?

Thanks
    Josh, I tend to schedule workdays on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons. These are usually posted as events on Facebook, specifically in the COGS cycling club group. It will be great to have another set of hands on work days.

Thanks
    Josh, as it happens, there's a work day scheduled for this Saturday now. I found out yesterday that I could get one in this weekend, which is typically how these things happen. For this particular work day, we're meeting at Riverside Bikes at 9 am Saturday morning. We'll wrap up around noon. (anyone else is welcome as well)

59. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Just an update for anyone thinking about Rotary.

There is now a project underway to put some new sewer lines in for some of the neighborhoods around the park. This, unfortunately, means that the lines are going through the park. While they haven't actually started digging yet, they have taken a grapple cutter and a bull hog through and cleared 50' corridors through which to lay the lines. This corridor, as it currently exists, starts on the south side of Wall Branch, and crosses to the North side just where the old section of gravel and rail ties that caused all the drainage problems along the creek trail were. It proceeds east, crossing the power lines (where they've built a large (temporary?) bridge with a culver and lots of gravel, out over the old creek trail, obliterating most of that to a point past the east end of the Pointless Hill trail (killing the entrance and exit to this trail). At that point it crosses back over of the creek, knocking out a 50' width of the trail coming back up the other side of the creek on the White Oak extension.

Fundamentally, what this means is every trail except the Amphitheater, Red Cedar, and the creatively strung together set of trails and extensions that make up what's known as the Roller Coaster are affected. All affected trails have been barricaded by the county/construction crews. So Red Cedar and the Roller Coaster are accessible from the main side of the park, the Amphitheater is only accessible from the Amphitheater parking lot.

It's been asked that the barricades be respected - IE, you CAN (physically) get around them, but please don't. If you're looking for a place to ride in Clarksville, and the abridged version of Rotary isn't cutting it for you, check out North Ford.

COGS is presently working with FORP (Friends of Rotary Park) and the county to put a plan in place to sort things out once all of this is done.

61. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    When is construction scheduled to be finished? Or at least a rough estimate.

Thanks
    January is what I've been told twice.

64. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    So it's January and there's still a ton of work to be done. Hopefully the trails will be back-ish to normal by spring!

Thanks
    Josh, to be honest, I haven't touched anything up there yet. It's going to take a group effort, but sometimes it's tough to get people out there, plus I need to get together with Chad and go over a few things with him. Keep an eye/ear out for announcements about workdays there, we'll get the ball rolling. I don't think spring is a realistic expectation for "normal" there though, unless you mean next spring. It's going to take a lot of work to bring the south side of the park back around.

Thread Information