Thread: My First Real MTB Bike

Thanks

My First Real MTB Bike

I'm not all that old so I don't have really old school bikes but this was my first non-walmart real mountain bike. This is the bike that started the Specialized insanity that is my house today.

This is a 1996 Specialized Ground Control FSR an early full suspension bike that had a terrible shock design and shock for that matter. The bike had an A1 aluminum front triangle and a steel rear triangle wow it was heavy in the rear with the steel and that heavy shock and spring .

My parents helped me get it when I graduated from HS for $300 and it was used and pretty beat up with a rock shock judy fork on it that was bent and wouldn't even shock anymore. The rear shock was blown as well. I bought the new hotness at the time which was the Manitou front fork and sent off the shock to RST to get redone. I upgraded everything else on this bike and added full XT nine speed all around. I rode and raced the crap out of this bike all of my college years. I commuted to Austin Peay in Clarksville and still lived in White Bluff (Home of Mont. Bell) and this was when MB was a brand new 6 mi. trail which is now the white trail. I used to ride 2-3 laps after school at least 4 days a week those were the good old days. And this was before disk brakes and tubeless and being a new trail there were thorns everywhere I got really good at changing tubes and patching them on the trail

Just thought some of you guys would get a kick out of this one. These are the pictures I took when I sold it I guess in 2004. My parents graciously bought me a brand new 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper HT for my college graduation gift and I just sold it last year still in great condition.

And no I didn't ride it with flat pedals I took off my spd's before I sold it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

2. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Specialized_Michael for this useful post:

Thanks
    seems so retro now... Were the SPD's the 737's??
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Team Bikers Choice

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by radiation View Post
    seems so retro now... Were the SPD's the 737's??
    Could have been I don't remember that was a few moons ago. I don't even own a pair of SPD's anymore and haven't for 2 years now all eggbeaters all the way I think I have 4-5 pairs of them now.
    Michael

Team Bikers Choice

5. The following user says "Thank You" to Specialized_Michael for this useful post:

Thanks
    Very cool! Shocks have changed remarkably, but the basic Horst Link/FSR suspension design hasn't...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cegrover View Post
    Very cool! Shocks have changed remarkably, but the basic Horst Link/FSR suspension design hasn't...
    Yes the basic design and link parts haven't changed that much but what hurt this one was the shock placement and that is something that has changed widely over time with tons of experiments. I know what they were going for here but they just didn't have the technology to pull it off yet. The earlier FSR frames before this one from Specialized and others were really soft and ended with a lot of pedal bob. So they decided to try this nearly vertical shock placement and it did a really good job to fix pedal bob but also gave a really rough ride as it took a lot to get any shock out of that thing. It was closer to a suspension seatpost than a full suspension bike.

After this bike I only had hartails for the next 10+ years and just bought my second full suspension bike in 2009 my 2006 Stumpjumoer FSR which was still heavier than I wanted but I put an RP23 on it and it gave a good plush ride while still being good for pedalling and climbing. Then this last year came the 2010 Epic and wow I think Specialized knocked it out of the park with this one. Great shock placement and low weight made this the ultimate XC race bike. This was the very first bike where I really got to feel the brain technology at work and it really does what they claim I can stand and climb and hammer on it and it fells just like my stumpy HT I had but as soon as you hit a root or drop or anything it's a plush full sus it is just amazing to me. The first race I did on it last year I felt so fresh at the end and didn't feel beat up like I did after a race on the HT.
    Michael

Team Bikers Choice

Thread Information