Thread: What 80mm 29" fork for SS?

Thanks

What 80mm 29" fork for SS?

I currently mostly ride rigid. After riding Pilot Rock and Black Mtn. I began to think it might be good to have a shock for the front of my SS for options.

I currently have a dart 3 on my geared 29er. I know it is junk, but it had been doing its job.

My plan is to buy a better fork for the geared bike and be able to put it on the SS if needed. I would prefer to have a remote lock out because I think I would be using it a lot on the SS.

I must also disclose that I am one that normally does not like the fork to move allot or at least allot real easy. I am used to riding old school forks that only move when you hit bigger bumps. I had a Skarab Elite on an old 26" and didn't like it. It would move way too much just riding on the road. I have rode Farlow Gap with the fork still locked out and didn't notice it until after we were done.

So, with all of that info, what fork would you suggest for that application? Budget is an issue, so please refrain from suggesting the forks that are $$$$ even if they are really nice.

Thanks
    Bloggy

Missfit DiSSent ALC
    Niner Air 9
    Surly 1x1 SSCX
    Scott Speedster Road

Thanks
    If budget is an issue...what is that budget?

Thanks
    One fork I considered when I built my jabberwocky, was the white bros. 29er fork. It had an auto lock out that senses when you are climbing. I ended up going with a fox because I couldn't find consistent reviews for the white bros. fork. The white bros fork was $500, you may be able to find a decent used one on ebay cheaper.
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    2006 Nissan Frontier

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bentcrank View Post
    I currently mostly ride rigid. After riding Pilot Rock and Black Mtn. I began to think it might be good to have a shock for the front of my SS for options.

I currently have a dart 3 on my geared 29er. I know it is junk, but it had been doing its job.

My plan is to buy a better fork for the geared bike and be able to put it on the SS if needed. I would prefer to have a remote lock out because I think I would be using it a lot on the SS.

I must also disclose that I am one that normally does not like the fork to move allot or at least allot real easy. I am used to riding old school forks that only move when you hit bigger bumps. I had a Skarab Elite on an old 26" and didn't like it. It would move way too much just riding on the road. I have rode Farlow Gap with the fork still locked out and didn't notice it until after we were done.

So, with all of that info, what fork would you suggest for that application? Budget is an issue, so please refrain from suggesting the forks that are $$$$ even if they are really nice.

Thanks

I use the rock shock reba on my Vassago Ti and I love it. I still like my rigid on my Jabberwocky but it is always a trade off. I think the Reba is $599.00 and, in the world of good forks, that is only $$

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EasilyObsessed View Post
    If budget is an issue...what is that budget?
    That is a hard question to answer. I don't know what list price it relates to. Looks like QBP does not sell WB

With a quick look these fit the $$ range

Rock Shox Recon Gold
    Manitou Tower Pro

Reba RLT would be a little on the high side.
    Bloggy

Missfit DiSSent ALC
    Niner Air 9
    Surly 1x1 SSCX
    Scott Speedster Road

JCoop is offline Wait, what are we talking about again?
    Thanks
    You mentioned you prefer a remote lockout. If that's the case then your best bet is to find a lightly used Reba. They go across eBay all the time.

Fox offers the F29 in Remote Lockout but it's pretty expensive from what I remember.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I rode rigid for several years and finally switched to a squishy for about a year ago. I'm a single speeder also. I had the same concerns as you about an energy zapping sloppy front end. I bought a Fox RL oem fisher fork. I NEVER use the lockout even on the longest fire road climbs. I just don't notice it anymore until I point the bike downhill. Then I notice a big difference.

I would go with a Reba for sure. You can pick up a older model new reba fork online for less than 500. IMHO the fox is too high maintenance and would probably fall into the expensive category unless you bought a used one.

Adam

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    I would buy a Reba also... But it's all about the deal and timing. I'm riding a Fox right now on my 29r. But i don't believe the Fox it's worth the extra money.

I've had to have the seals on my Fox replaced twice.. Never had any problems with the Reba. They all ride pretty much the same. So go for best deal.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

Thanks
    I am a big fan of the Manitou Minute line. I found it to be a better ride than either my fox or Rock shox. That being said, i am on a new rock shox s-29 that I like a lot! but the minute line is cheaper. I also found the lockout on the minute to be the best i ever used.
    Niner EMD
    S-Works Tri-Cross

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 503 Posts
    I currently run a Manitou Minute 29er on my Misfit.

I have never had an issue. It may not have all the bells and whistles that some of the others have, but I was use to running a rigid carbon fork, so I wanted something that was on the stiffer side. I think the Manitou fits the bill well.

I don't think Manitou makes the Minute anymore. They have something new for this year, Tower I think. The pro model weights @ 3.8lbs.

I'd be willing to let my Minute go. If you're interested, let me know.
    Last edited by Taco-Tim; 04-06-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    TIM

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Thanks
    I have the Tora on my current ride, it's no longer functional and also needs to be replaced. Maybe I'll just upgrade the whole bike to a new one...yes I will.

Thanks
    Reba - even if you get one that is very used they are easy to rebuild. You can get the air spring kit, the damper side kit and new Enduro seal dust wipers for probably $75. Watch the videos on rebuilding on the Sram website and it's easy to rebuild. When you're done you basically have a brand new fork.

Thanks
    I don't think Manitou makes the Minute anymore.

Thanks
    Fox Racing
    32 A Float 29" Performance StepCast 100 3PosGrip is awesome i use it.

Thanks

What 80mm 29" fork for SS

Im in the market for a new GPS, Ive been using a older Garmin rhino 120 for the last few years and decided I need to upgrade. The big problem is Im what you would call technologically challenged, the big reason it took me so long to join the site What do you all use?

Thread Information