Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Legs...Shave them or not?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,001
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 540 Times in 239 Posts

    Legs...Shave them or not?

    I have never drawn a razor to my legs. You guys that do it, why do you do it? What competitive advantage does it give you? Increased performance or comfort?

    I like to think of my hairy legs as a barrier against ticks, protective layer against trail rash, not to mention a symbol of my superior masculinity.

  2. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Ron Mexico for this useful post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    3,421
    Thanks
    3,350
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I'll second the masculinity - hairless men are sissies

    I have heard that roadies shave because the bandages come off easier if your legs are hairless.
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

    …but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

    Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    ridgetop
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 84 Times in 51 Posts
    I dont shave my legs with a razor but I do use a trimmer on them that takes it down to stubble that cant be seen.If I do a group ride(road)I use hair remover and take it all the way off.You dont want to show up around a bunch of roadies with hair hanging out of your kit.The only logical reason for shaving your legs is so when you get road rash it is eIasier to clean the wounds and pick out the aspalt and gravel without picking through all the hair.And I can tell you from experience that is no fun.If I didn't ride the road I wouldn't bother with it,but I ride the road alot more than the trails because it more convenient to step outside and ride before work and not have to load up and travel.And of course it rains all the frigging time.And the other reason is that european riders back in the day would ride 180 miles or more and at the end of the day they would need a leg message so they would be ready for the next stage.Shaving made it more comfortable for the this to be done so it became a tradition for cyclist to shave thier legs even if you didn't have a personal masseuse.
    Last edited by g-money; 05-21-2011 at 11:45 AM.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville/Pegram
    Posts
    2,040
    Thanks
    2,682
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Don't do it Curtis. There is no performance advantage to shaving your legs. I can see why a pro would do it. It aids with massages and helps make cleaning up road rash a little easier. Shaving your legs is a gateway into full out roadie. Just ask Jeremy. Next thing you'll be asking advise about carbon road bikes. Btw-I luv road riding and don't shave my legs.
    Last edited by Dook of Moots; 05-21-2011 at 11:47 AM.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

  6. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    1,987
    Thanks
    942
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeme View Post
    Don't do it Curtis. There is no performance advantage to shaving your legs. I can see why a pro would do it. It aids with massages and helps make cleaning up road rash a little easier. Shaving your legs is a gateway into full out roadie. Just ask Jeremy. Next thing you'll be asking advise about carbon road bikes. Btw-I luv road riding and don't shave my legs.
    I agree with Jeff

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville/Pegram
    Posts
    2,040
    Thanks
    2,682
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I agree with Jeff
    That's the best post ever. In the history of the NMB board.
    Last edited by Dook of Moots; 05-21-2011 at 03:27 PM.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

  9. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pleasant View
    Posts
    1,161
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 503 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeme View Post
    . There is no performance advantage to shaving your legs. .
    I shave my legs, arms, chest and, well, other more obscure areas of the body. When you say there is no performance advantage, could you better define what you mean. Because I have seen a significant advantage.......Wait, are you talking about biking?
    TIM

    Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" --- Chesty Puller, USMC

  11. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Taco-Tim for this useful post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville/Pegram
    Posts
    2,040
    Thanks
    2,682
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast-L-E View Post
    I shave my legs, arms, chest and, well, other more obscure areas of the body. When you say there is no performance advantage, could you better define what you mean. Because I have seen a significant advantage.......Wait, are you talking about biking?
    I'm sure your boyfriend, I mean wife, likes that you shave. But that's got nothing to with biking. You bodybuilder types luv to shave your body. Get all oiled up. And pose in front of the mirror in your thongs.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

  13. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    2,865
    Thanks
    2,247
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I'm not sure why I first did it, but now it's a comfort thing. I don't like having leg hair anymore. lol. I know of only 2 advantages. My personal observation...

    1. Ticks. As an experiment I shaved my legs before riding point to point at lbl with KRS and a few others. It was tick season. After 40+ miles of riding I had 1 tick on my sock. Along the way KRS pulled OVER 15 ticks. We rode the same route at the same pace. I've kept the hair off ever since. YMMV

    2. After finishing a particularly long sweaty ride in the dry dusty heat my legs are almost black with dirt. The front tire is constantly kicking up dust which sticks to sweaty legs, hairy or not. With hairy legs it takes some effort to get the dirt out of there. With smooth girly legs it only takes a couple oz of water to knock ALL of the dirt off. It's even more dramatic after a muddy race.

    DON'T JUDGE ME! haha

    Adam

  15. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    565
    Thanks
    343
    Thanked 760 Times in 280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meanjoe View Post

    1. Ticks. As an experiment I shaved my legs before riding point to point at lbl with KRS and a few others. It was tick season. After 40+ miles of riding I had 1 tick on my sock. Along the way KRS pulled OVER 15 ticks. We rode the same route at the same pace. I've kept the hair off ever since. YMMV

    Adam
    This is the only benefit that I could see being a mountain biker....To ticks, leg hair is like a easy way up to the top!

    Jose Alea

    SORBA Advocacy
    http://www.sorbamidtn.org/


  17. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    1,255
    Thanks
    1,345
    Thanked 871 Times in 415 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meanjoe View Post
    I'm not sure why I first did it, but now it's a comfort thing. I don't like having leg hair anymore. lol. I know of only 2 advantages. My personal observation...

    1. Ticks. As an experiment I shaved my legs before riding point to point at lbl with KRS and a few others. It was tick season. After 40+ miles of riding I had 1 tick on my sock. Along the way KRS pulled OVER 15 ticks. We rode the same route at the same pace. I've kept the hair off ever since. YMMV

    2. After finishing a particularly long sweaty ride in the dry dusty heat my legs are almost black with dirt. The front tire is constantly kicking up dust which sticks to sweaty legs, hairy or not. With hairy legs it takes some effort to get the dirt out of there. With smooth girly legs it only takes a couple oz of water to knock ALL of the dirt off. It's even more dramatic after a muddy race.

    DON'T JUDGE ME! haha

    Adam

    This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. It is great for NOT getting ticks and having torn my legs up pretty good a couple of times, road and mountain, enough to like being able to just throw some tape on with a gauze to stop the bleeding.

    I initially started doing it for triathlons, along with chest and back and just stuck with it. Not that it would make much difference for me but you do at least feel faster slipping through the water.

    I also like to see the deffinition in my abbs when I'm at the beach.
    "Your Mr. Stevens?"

  18. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Daniel for this useful post:


  19. #12
    Paddlechris's Avatar
    Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Franklin
    Posts
    3,521
    Thanks
    2,332
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    So many points I agree to

    I have been doing it for years I do it now because I do not like the feeling of hair on my legs... When I first did it it was when I was younger and in porn... I mean raced I fell into for all the reasons mentioned massage, healing, and ticks.. Now I do not need to but I just hate hair..

    Also I hear if you shave it makes things look bigger.. my calves look HUGE!!!

    C


    Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

    SORBAMIDTN

  20. The following 8 users say "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:


  21. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    230
    Thanks
    304
    Thanked 280 Times in 137 Posts
    All I can say, fellers, is at least you guys have the option to shave or not to. Not that I'm complaining or anything.
    Lisa


    "These days, my bike acts as my wheelchair, my gym & my church, all in one." Bill Walton NBA Hall of Famer & Avid Cyclist

    2011 Specialized Myka 29er
    2009 Gary Fisher Piranha (Iona)
    2009 Trek 3700

  22. The following user says "Thank You" to runslikenew for this useful post:


  23. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    1,987
    Thanks
    942
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeme View Post
    That's the best post ever. In the history of the NMB board.
    That's what I'm talking about. However, Mister Bikeme, don't get used to it.

    I would rather have the hassle of the hair than the hassle of shaving them all the time.

  24. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:


  25. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Grafton, VT
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    216
    Thanked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meanjoe View Post
    1. Ticks. As an experiment I shaved my legs before riding point to point at lbl with KRS and a few others. It was tick season. After 40+ miles of riding I had 1 tick on my sock. Along the way KRS pulled OVER 15 ticks. We rode the same route at the same pace. I've kept the hair off ever since. YMMV
    "I second." said the unofficial self-appointed lymie on the board... Even in your southern heat (vs. my VT excuse for summer) I plan to wear long pants, sprayed w/ permanone and shaved (but that's for girly reasons).
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-22-2011 at 07:37 PM.
    '94 Entry-level Giant - which I'm sure you'd all laugh at - no shock absorbers anywhere (correcting my bike ignorance)
    '80 American Thoroughbred R.I.P. - I relish a good knarly debate with my "transportation"

    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has - Margret Mead
    Look for someone to eat and drink with, before looking for something to eat and drink. - Epicurus

  26. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,001
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 540 Times in 239 Posts
    Interesting thoughts both ways. For the record I do not believe leg shavers are sissies. I do agree with Robert about the added maintenance not being worth it.

  27. The following user says "Thank You" to Ron Mexico for this useful post:


  28. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southwest Indiana
    Posts
    175
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked 91 Times in 61 Posts
    You guys have me thinking about shaving. I would like for my calves to look huge.
    Bloggy

    Missfit DiSSent ALC
    Niner Air 9
    Surly 1x1 SSCX
    Scott Speedster Road

  29. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to bentcrank for this useful post:


  30. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 103 Times in 77 Posts
    Shave em. It really does help keep the ticks off. And after a minor wreck on the road bike which caused some decent road rash a cmonth or so ago...the Tegaderm stays on much better without hair everywhere.

  31. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Buchanan, TN
    Posts
    406
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 131 Times in 87 Posts
    So if I shave my legs I get a massage after each ride right?? Cause thats probably worth it.
    Kevin

    08' Lapierre Tecnic
    10' KHS Dj 200 (Ghetto Tubeless)
    06' Honda CRF 250R
    04' GMC Sierra red

  32. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee U.S.A.
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Its not a fasion show, its a bike ride. If you want to go faster train harder. If you dont like ticks or pain, maybe kniting is your gig. The next thing you know, some of you guys will have to squat to pee. At the end of the day, no one is going to put on your tombstone, "he finished the race .5 seconds faster with shaved legs". I dont mean to be a prick, but why is everything so technical? Let's all just get out and ride! Beside, if I shaved my legs, there would be no time to drink beer!

  33. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to wintercreeper for this useful post:


  34. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    Posts
    1,956
    Thanks
    4,049
    Thanked 1,913 Times in 939 Posts
    What about back shaving for men? I have seen too many riders in the past rolling around the woods with hair coming out of the top of their jersey! I say we need to impose back shaving on mountain biking!
    Kelly Benward
    Team RideforReading.org

  35. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to FullSquishy for this useful post:


  36. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Murfreesboro
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I shaved em for the first time about a year ago because I got a road bike and it's a big no-no for roadies. Once you've done it, it's hard to go back to shaggy legs...but it sure is a big pain in the ass to keep em shaved.

  37. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Home-Hendersonville, TN
    Posts
    3,347
    Thanks
    4,525
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 1,512 Posts
    Hey Adam, is it easier to get panty hose on with them shaved?

    Chris, are the porn people hiring?

    Kevin, Yes, by Jeffy...in a thong.

    Gary

  38. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:


  39. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Home-Hendersonville, TN
    Posts
    3,347
    Thanks
    4,525
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 1,512 Posts
    I'll say, this is one of the most informative threads I've seen in some time.

    Gary

  40. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    knoxville
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Think I will just shave one leg.

  41. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville/Pegram
    Posts
    2,040
    Thanks
    2,682
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    I shaved my head.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

  42. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    I have shaved for years, but then I also mostly ride road. It only has a psychological performance advantage as it will not make you faster. However, all the other reasons are valid. i could not go back now, I just do not like my legs hairy. On top of the cleanliness, easy bandage removal, etc., It is a road specific fashion statement tradition and I am not one to buck tradition. I would say that my wife likes it but I have been married for 14 years and aside from me coming home in Brad Pitts body I do not think she notices anymore.

    Signed
    Sissy smooth legged biker...

  43. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pleasant View
    Posts
    1,161
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 503 Posts
    All shaved up today, legs, arms, chest and ....yep, there too.

    I've been doing this for years, long before I rode bikes regularly.
    The main reason was because I have done martial arts nearly my entire life.
    When you are swapping sweat with others for hours on end, it is much more
    sanitary to not have hair. Because when you sweat your hair release oil's.
    Plus, hair is somewhat grippy, so, when you shave
    it makes it hard for certain techniques to be pulled off on you.
    TIM

    Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" --- Chesty Puller, USMC

  44. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN.
    Posts
    4,554
    Thanks
    6,032
    Thanked 3,812 Times in 1,869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast-L-E View Post
    All shaved up today, legs, arms, chest and ....yep, there too.

    I've been doing this for years, long before I rode bikes regularly.
    The main reason was because I have done martial arts nearly my entire life.
    When you are swapping sweat with others for hours on end, it is much more
    sanitary to not have hair. Because when you sweat your hair release oil's.
    Plus, hair is somewhat grippy, so, when you shave
    it makes it hard for certain techniques to be pulled off on you.
    Your one kinky bastard tim.
    Mike

    www.rideforreading.org


    08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike
    _______________________
    IMBA/SORBA

  45. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Home-Hendersonville, TN
    Posts
    3,347
    Thanks
    4,525
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 1,512 Posts
    I figured techniques "there too" would be illegal.

    Gary

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gravel Grinder = Good Times and Sore Legs!
    By GNC in forum Racing & Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 12:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •