Thread: Can you belive this actually cost $1000?

Thanks

Can you belive this actually cost $1000?

Here catalog pic of my first real mountain bike. It's a 1993 Stumpjumper with rigid fork. Looking back at it now I must have been feeling pretty confident in myself to be kicking it around on a bike that looks like it was designed for Prince. As crazy as it looks now, it was nothing compared to Syndicate A.K.A Trail Nazi's first ride, check out the pics below.

After about 4 or 5 months I upgraded to this beauty. It was spec'ed about the same but it came with a feathery 8 pound Specialized Future Shock, that I simply couldn't live with out.

Yeah back in the day, I spent many hours thrashing & crashing around L4 and Hamilton creek with Syndicate A.K.A. Trail Nazi. And frankly, I don't remember him being the troublemaker that he appears to be today. Now I can give him a playful ribbing because I known him for 20 years, but for everyone else, know that you can't anyone too seriously if they willfully rode a bike that looks like it was put together by Hanna Montana and the Olsen Twins.

2. The following 10 users say "Thank You" to banana_man for this useful post:

Thanks
    I can't believe your actually up at 5:30am. You haven't been to bed yet have you?

Lance Bowers

2018 Surly ECR 29+
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2013 Soma Fab Double Cross Disc

Thanks
    Brings back memories. I had the steel version of the Stumpjumper with an early Mag 21 fork about the same year model, and a Tequesta with the "nimbus" paint job. I rode that Stumpjumper forever. The attached pic of the GT is from the web, but it's bone stock just like the one I had. The fact that I rode that paintjob for a few years is on par with having owned parachute pants in the early 80s.
    stump.jpegteq.jpg

5. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Wheezer for this useful post:

Thanks
    The triple triangle rules!!! LOL!!! I actually think my Tequesta may have been a few years before of after both of those as the paint was blue flake but it was a little tamer than that. A friend of mine has it, I'm going to try to get him take a pic of it so I can post it. We did rock L4 and Hammy in their early days, but don't forget about the trail in Madison at that park (Cedar Hill maybe?), that was a fun trail, when i drive by there I always contemplate going over there and trying to reclaim it!!!! And Bowie Nature park wasn't even a nature park then I don't thinnk, but the trail was sweet...or so we thought!!!

Here's a still shot from some high quality video shoot we did at L4, notice that I was trying to ride it like it was a BMX bike, power wheelie through the woods!!!!! Also, notice the one piece bars with the climbing bar built in on the Tequesta, it had custom grips that were like 12inches long!!!

Photobucket
    Last edited by Syndicate; 06-07-2011 at 10:41 PM.

7. The following user says "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

NME

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    The triple triangle rules!!! LOL!!! I actually think my Tequesta may have been a few years before of after both of those as the paint was blue flake but it was a little tamer than that. A friend of mine has it, I'm going to try to get him take a pic of it so I can post it. We did rock L4 and Hammy in their early days, but don't forget about the trail in Madison at that park (Cedar Hill maybe?), that was a fun trail, when i drive by there I always contemplate going over there and trying to reclaim it!!!! And Bowie Nature park wasn't even a nature park then I don't thinnk, but the trail was sweet...or so we thought!!!

Here's a still shot from some high quality video shoot we did at L4, notice that I was trying to ride it like it was a BMX bike, power wheelie through the woods!!!!! Also, notice the one piece bars with the climbing bar built in on the Tequesta, it had custom grips that were like 12inches long!!!

Photobucket
    The sleek teal lycra with the 3XL T-Shirt is pimp...

9. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Wheezer for this useful post:

Thanks
    LOL!!!! Can't argue that!!! the shorts were actually 3 tone, dark blue on the back panels with a nice maroon triangle on each side! was quite the P-I-M-P back then!

Thanks
    Martin your right I forgot about the bars on that bike. What an incredibly bad idea. But don't try to weasel out on the paint job, you just need to own up to the fact that you used to kick it around the trails on your blue bike that looked like it was painted with silly sting while sporting your teal cycling shorts and t-shirt that you borrowed from Notorious B.I.G.

Thanks
    Cool shots! Yeah, I almost forgot that GT made their own bar combos like that. Scott was well known for them (AT-2 and other models) and Zoom made the Brahma Bar. I actually still have the Brahma Bar on my '93 Diamondback Overdrive, which is one of the first-ever "29ers"...

13. The following user says "Thank You" to cegrover for this useful post:

Thanks
    Banana, be careful, I do have a video made at Lock 4 in this same era...and there's this one part on there where you have your helmet on backwards...

Thanks
    BTW, my bike didn't have that silly string crap on it! it was just blue flake...just wait, pictures of it today are coming!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    Banana, be careful, I do have a video made at Lock 4 in this same era...and there's this one part on there where you have your helmet on backwards...
    nah dude you got it all wrong. I didn't have the helmet on backwards, I was riding backwards. Back in the day I was so fast it wasn't a challenge to ride forward with you so I always rode backwards so you could keep up

Post up them pics now I gotta see that "blue flake" tequesta.

Thread Information