Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harpeth's 50 Miles of Hamilton Creek NOW FOUR LAPS

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts

Harpeth's 50 Miles of Hamilton Creek NOW FOUR LAPS

After some deliberation and after riding the trail recently - my goal was to make this about a 6 hour race. The trail is now almost 13 miles long. Therefore, I am making the race 4 laps. I understand some of you have made plans for a 5 man team. However, 5 laps would be over 60 miles and make the race be too long. Please make whatever adjustments you need to reflect the new format.

I apologize for this oversight, as I did not realize the mileage after the new additions to the trail over the last two years. 4 Laps will be much better, and will make the event the correct distance and time.

If anyone has any issues regarding this, please let me know! Contact info below.

2. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    You'll thank me when you are done. There are about 75 relieved solo riders out there ride now. First of them is Dookie of Moots.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    I could do 5 laps Tim. Just probably not in 8 hours. I think you made the right decision. Thanks.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

Thanks
    Bring it Count Dookie. I'm just hoping you won't be having any "relishing" moments. If I hear you coming, the humiliation will be too much to bare.

6. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    There are about 75 relieved solo riders out there ride now.

Are there really 75 solo riders? If so...WOW!!! Hopefully they are not all in the Amateur class; I'm not sure my fragile ego could take finishing in 75th place.
    Custom Steel Cysco 29er
    Niner One 9
    Niner Air 9
    2011 Allez Comp Apex

Race Director for SORBA-Chattanooga

"Rest satisfied with doing well and leave others to talk of you as they please"
    "Every time I make a plan, God laughs at me."

Thanks
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting really excited about this race. I love a good beating from Hammy, and this race will definitely give all of us that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TryFour View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting really excited about this race.
    I don't know why YOU would be excited. You're slow, your bike sucks, and your team mate is a real a$$. It should be a horrible time.

10. The following user says "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Thanks
    Haha, at least my bike is made of metal, not layered cloth! Now if I can just get my stupid tires to hold air!

And that's funny, I seem to remember having to leave you to limp back to the car while I finished a lap...more than once!

Now if I can just get my worthless teammate to man up a little!

Thanks
    Custom Steel Cysco 29er
    Niner One 9
    Niner Air 9
    2011 Allez Comp Apex

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TryFour View Post
    Haha, at least my bike is made of metal, not layered cloth! Now if I can just get my stupid tires to hold air!

And that's funny, I seem to remember having to leave you to limp back to the car while I finished a lap...more than once!

Now if I can just get my worthless teammate to man up a little!
    In the interest of and preserving my steed's good name, I am inclined to remind you of the outcome of every other ride we have shared. Up or down.

Back on topic... Does anyone have a set of water wings I can borrow for this weekend?

Thanks

Pretty entertaining....

Thanks
    So, what is the cut-off time now. When it was 5 laps it was 8 hours. Is it still 8 hours? I had heard mention of 6 hours somewhere. I could have dreamed that though.

Lance Bowers

2018 Surly ECR 29+
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2013 Soma Fab Double Cross Disc

16. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Slick37075 for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'm a little concerned with the weather. (And when I say a little concerned I mean a lot.)

Is there any back up plan? Seeing as how we rode the trail on Monday and it was in decent shape with the rain we had before then and now it's been raining every day since and supposed to be raining every day until next week, what happens when the storms roll through on Sunday? And I'm sure they will with our luck lately. Is there perhaps a better weekend to move these events to? That way everyone will leave the trail dry, happy, and only a little hurt compared to the sloppy, slick muddy roots and rocks everyone will get this weekend. Just trying to save bikes and broken bones. I know that a lot of people are waiting to sign up due to weather and perhaps we'd have a better turn out for SORBA if it was changed. Just thinking out loud though.
    "Often, the enjoyment is the training before and the memory after." -- Doug Kurtis

Team RideforReading.org

18. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to BikerGirl for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerGirl View Post
    I'm a little concerned with the weather. (And when I say a little concerned I mean a lot.)

Is there any back up plan? Seeing as how we rode the trail on Monday and it was in decent shape with the rain we had before then and now it's been raining every day since and supposed to be raining every day until next week, what happens when the storms roll through on Sunday? And I'm sure they will with our luck lately. Is there perhaps a better weekend to move these events to? That way everyone will leave the trail dry, happy, and only a little hurt compared to the sloppy, slick muddy roots and rocks everyone will get this weekend. Just trying to save bikes and broken bones. I know that a lot of people are waiting to sign up due to weather and perhaps we'd have a better turn out for SORBA if it was changed. Just thinking out loud though.
    I'm waiting to see what the weather does too. I want to race, but I don't want to be a whole lot more miserable than I normally would be riding 50 miles.

Lance Bowers

2018 Surly ECR 29+

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerGirl View Post

Copied from the Hammy Trail Work thread
    Quote Originally Posted by JCoop View Post
    Tim, will you guys still have this race if it rains the weekend of?
    Yes, we will still have the race. You roll the dice on these things. Hard to predict weather 6 months away. Two many things in motion to have a "rain date." So, let's pray for NO rain.
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 884 Posts
    Truth is, I really want to race this one. It's my favorite local trail. There are a lot of people holding out to sign up 'day-of' based on the weather, and a huge lack of wanting to hit hammy when it's wet mess. If there is a possibility of moving it to another weekend if the rain keeps up, it seems like it would really help out with the turn out. I know my team of 4 isn't signing up unless it clears up. I hate that -- but it's just not worth it at hammy if there's a way to simply postpone it. If not, so be it. I'll still be there to watch!
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    "Dead last is greater than did not finish, which trumps did not start."
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thanks
    All -

Due to the unforseeable string of wet weather, we are moving this event to July 9, 10. July 9 the Festival and Kid's race, July 10th the Harpeth Bikes 50 miles of Hamilton Creek. I think it will be too wet for this to be a success. Our goal is to have this race in dry conditions and having it this weekend will be impossible. In the future for Hamilton Creek events, I will make a rain date part of the original plan. It typically does not rain this much in June and we picked June for this reason. The trail will likely be damaged and the conditions dangerous if we run the events this weekend.

If this causes anyone who has pre-registered any hardship, please let me know so we can work out a refund for you. I believe I can speak for Harpeth Bikes and Sorba that we want the best event we can put on and create the best experience we can for all riders and spectators. Moving the event is the best way to do this.

See contact info if you need to get in touch with me.

Thanks,

23. The following 18 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 884 Posts
    Thanks Tim, and all involved in the decision making! We never know what weather's gonna do, and you would definitely think that by June it would have been better. Hopefully July 9/10 will be better, although still no guarantee, ugh!! I'm looking forward to it no matter what. Thank you again.
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    "Dead last is greater than did not finish, which trumps did not start."
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thanks
    ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! Now I have to choose between this and the SERC race in Huntsville, both of which I pre-registered for. On top of that, my inlaws are coming into town that weekend, so Hammy might be a hard sell to my wife.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm glad that it was moved. I was going to race regardless, but all I could think about was the damage that the race would do to the trail. Hammy is my favorite Nashville-area trail, and I don't like to see it damaged. Good call on the date change.
    Custom Steel Cysco 29er
    Niner One 9
    Niner Air 9
    2011 Allez Comp Apex

Thanks
    Lance - the cut off is still 8 hours. My thinking is with 4 laps, a good finishing time would be about 6 hours. Thanks! Big Red - I know you'll do the right thing
    Last edited by Uzzi; 06-23-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks
    Lance - the cut off is still 8 hours. My thinking is with 4 laps, it will be about 6 hours. Thanks! Big Red - I know you'll do the right thing
    Thank You Sir!

Lance Bowers

2018 Surly ECR 29+

28. The following user says "Thank You" to Slick37075 for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'm kind of relieved. I wasn't going to have a chance to pre-ride the trail and haven't ridden out there in about a year. Combine that with mud and probably wet roots and rocks and it could have been a disaster for me. See you folks July 10!
    Last edited by Blackberry; 06-23-2011 at 03:15 PM.

30. The following user says "Thank You" to Blackberry for this useful post:

Thanks
    This is great news as I had a schedule conflict with the race being on my daughter's birthday. This puts it back on my radar, with hopefully the rain not on the radar.

32. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Ron Mexico for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    After riding to Mack Hatcher this morning and having to bail, it's the best decision. With no more rain, it'd be messy. With any more, Hoopty'd be suicidal after the racers got though with it. Then there's, "What would happen if you ran out of paramedics?"

Good call!

Gary

Thanks
    Good deal. The trail Gods thank you Hope I can make it on that weekend. I'm kinda glad. Didn't look like this weekend was gonna workout anyway.
    Last edited by Dook of Moots; 06-23-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

Thanks
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 661 Posts
    It stinks that the FTF has to be the same day as the Tour de Fat....I have already committed to be there.

Thanks
    Yeah, the whole thing stinks. Watch the weather be super hot this weekend and dry the trail up. I think everyone who goes to bike events should one time in their life have to plan one. In addition, plan one at a trail that is (for some reason I still can't figure out) so contraversial and fills people with such emotion. You should see the messages I get .."YOu are going to ruin the trail!"

The reality of it is this - I've put on two races at Hamilton Creek and it was wet BOTH times. Somehow, the trail survived. That doesn't mean that I'm looking for a wet trail to ride on, just the opposite. But if it is wet on our July dates, then we've done the best we can by picking the historically driest time of the year and even moving it from the original date.
    Last edited by Uzzi; 06-24-2011 at 01:25 PM.

37. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Tough job for sure so thanks for taking up the challenge. If it is wet then, my thought is to have a work day or two after the race.

39. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to hoboing for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    I am not doing the race. Really don't like riding that trail. One thing, I don't get. Any other venue that holds a race does it rain or shine. Personally, I don't like riding or racing in sloppy conditions. Not as much fun and too much $$$$ to fix the bike after. Also, this is the only area I know of that gets so bent out of shape for riding wet or muddy trails. They recover and come back. I have seen it all the time in other areas while riding. You cannot expect someone to change a date to suit the weather. If it rains and you don't want to ride, don't. I can guarantee you that Uzzi wants it to be nice more than anyone on this board or doing the race.

I don't care what race I've entered. If I know it's going to be a mudfest, even if I have traveled, I am getting on the internet and trying to find a place to ride that is within 2 hours of my venue that is dry. If I cannot then I will ride my bike on fire roads and pavement. It is time to get over being so upset about riding slightly muddy or wet trails. I don't do mud unless I am caught in a rain storm while I am already out. But the times I have been in that situation, the trails were fine the next day if it is in the summer.
    Last edited by Robert; 06-24-2011 at 07:55 PM.

41. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Robert, I disagree with everything you have said. David Hardin has done the same thing in the past. I wish others race promoters would be willing to cancel or postpone races. He is trying to put on a good race. Not just put on a race.

I have raced in every kind of conditions over the years. And have nothing else to prove. And am sick of tearing of my **** racing in the mud. And I have never felt good about racing on muddy or wet trails. And have been pissed at race promoters. I think most of them care about the race and making money more than the trail. That's why they make it cheaper to register earlier. They want your money and sucker you in to committ early.

I can promise you that it was going to be a low turn out this weekend. Everyone I know had decided not to race. I'm glad the race as been postponed. I not scaced of a wet and Muddy Hammy. But I'm not gonna race on a wet and muddy Hammy.

So I applaud Tim. Maybe he is ahead of the curve. And maybe other race promoters should follow his example.
    Last edited by Dook of Moots; 06-24-2011 at 08:22 PM.

43. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

JCoop is offline Wait, what are we talking about again?
    Thanks
    I think Uzzi was also considering the fact that the chances of someone seriously getting hurt would have been much higher. Look, everyone that races or who has raced knows there is a certain risk involved. It's part of the sport. But when you factor in what Hammy offers (ROCK) in general and then throw in a weeks worth of rain you get a trail that is extremely sketchy at best. Wet rock and roots are no fun for anyone. I think had he decided to put on this race, there would have been a lot of negative feedback afterwards. It also helps that the trail won't be left a huge mess too.

So Uzzi, good job by using your better judgment. I know a lot of people are relieved who were racing. I plan on coming up to watch the chaos in July....if dry lol
    Niner Jet 9 RDO

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dook of Moots View Post
    Robert, I disagree with everything you have said. David Hardin has done the same thing in the past. I wish others race promoters would be willing to cancel or postpone races. He is trying to put on a good race. Not just put on a race.

I have raced in every kind of conditions over the years. And have nothing else to prove. And am sick of tearing of my **** racing in the mud. And I have never felt good about racing on muddy or wet trails. And have been pissed at race promoters. I think most of them care about the race and making money more than the trail. That's why they make it cheaper to register earlier. They want your money and sucker you in to committ early.

I can promise you that it was going to be a low turn out this weekend. Everyone I know had decided not to race. I'm glad the race as been postponed. I not scaced of a wet and Muddy Hammy. But I'm not gonna race on a wet and muddy Hammy.

So I applaud Tim. Maybe he is ahead of the curve. And maybe other race promoters should follow his example.
    Hey Dookey, you sure you read my entire post? I said I wouldn't race in muddy or wet conditions. And what guarantee do you have that it will not rain on the July date? Oh, that's right, "Dook of Moots" must be a synonym for God. I am not saying Tim did the wrong thing. I am saying you cannot predict the weather. And if you think everything I said is wrong then some of what I wrote must be right. I do think there should be rain dates, but a month off? Hope the weather holds for that date.

I do know that the Cohutta was held in slop last year and the trails have snapped back just fine. Just saying.

So to sum it up, I wouldn't ride in muddy conditions unless caught in rain while riding. I would skip the race if it was going to be a mudfest even if I had traveled to the sight. When I sign up for a race I wait as long as I can before signing up. However, I know that I cannot predict the weather so that is the risk I take for signing up, in the first place. I don't expect the race director to postpone the race. Now I am sure that all of this is wrong as well.

on a lighter note. If I ride Cheatham this coming week, one afternoon, wanna ride? Got some exploring to do.
    Last edited by Robert; 06-25-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Thanks
    Robert, just curious, if you don't intend to do the race or ride or race in the rain or poor conditions, what difference does it make if the event is postponed, much less make innuendo about it? If you can't say something nice...

I intend to participate. Rode out there Thursday. Due to conditions, whether it rained anymore or not, had decided not to enter. Not worth getting hurt over. I expect there are many of my mind, which would hurt the turnout and ultimately the event. I'm glad Tim was able to make the move.

Gary

Thanks
    I didn't say anything that wasn't nice. Maybe not politically correct. There is race day registration, something, any race I do, lacks. I have never planned a mountain bike race but I have been involved in planning a lot of running races and know what goes into holding the race on the date that is set, rain or shine. I am not dissing anyone but you cannot predict the weather. I hope it's perfect in July for all involved. If not, do you want Tim to change it again? I understand people not wanting to ride in poor conditions. When you pay for a race, you take that chance. I would forgo, even a paid event, due to bad conditions. I would not ask the director of the race to postpone it because that is too much to ask. Yes, some races are trying to make money. It is the way they earn a living. If someone doesn't want to enter a race, then don't, but don't say that it is just for the money. Of course it is to make money. Would you go to work if you got paid nothing?

The reason for my post is you are asking someone to change a date for something that is out of his or her control. If you want perfect weather, then hold it indoors.

Thanks
    Thanks for totally hi jacking these post.. Actually nobody ask Tim to postpone the race. He decided that on his own. Not sure why you care either way. I'm guessing that's why DSG was canceled this year. One more rain race is gonna kill that race. Great event. Terrible race.

This weekend is about more than the race. It's also about the FTF.
    Last edited by Dook of Moots; 06-25-2011 at 08:26 AM.

49. The following user says "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Yeah, the whole thing stinks. Watch the weather be super hot this weekend and dry the trail up. I think everyone who goes to bike events should one time in their life have to plan one. In addition, plan one at a trail that is (for some reason I still can't figure out) so contraversial and fills people with such emotion. You should see the messages I get .."YOu are going to ruin the trail!"
    The reality of it is this - I've put on two races at Hamilton Creek and it was wet BOTH times. Somehow, the trail survived. That doesn't mean that I'm looking for a wet trail to ride on, just the opposite. But if it is wet on our July dates, then we've done the best we can by picking the historically driest time of the year and even moving it from the original date.
    I beg to differ with no one ask him to postpone the race.

52. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I beg to differ with no one ask him to postpone the race.
    Ok. I'm not sure why he did it. But it was his decision. I think he knows a wet Hammy race is gonna have a low turnout. I'm glad the race was postponed. Cause I'm not gonna race or ride on a wet Hammy trail. But I'm also not gonna have an opinion for those who want to. That's ok with me too. I'm kinda sick and tired of the mountain bike race scene anyway....Just for the record. I didn't ask Tim to postpone. I support him either way. I think everyone who races should help promote a race.
    Last edited by Dook of Moots; 06-25-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,870 Posts

Edit: I stole this from Paddlechris.
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

55. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to twolfcon for this useful post:

Thanks
    I AM SO PISSED THAT THE RACE IS POSTPONED!!! I was really looking forward to being the only team to sign up! Instant win!

Tim, obviously a good decision. I've done all of the HC events so far and I think this one would have been, well, like ice skating...on a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBreak View Post
    In the interest of and preserving my steed's good name, I am inclined to remind you of the outcome of every other ride we have shared. Up or down.

Back on topic... Does anyone have a set of water wings I can borrow for this weekend?
    And as for you, I'm just gonna bite my tongue. You just enjoy your ease of training, for now!

You better bring your A game on July 10th.

Thanks
    Hey Robert, you want to team up and race Duo with me? That is, if it's dry on the 10th. Tryon, I hate to kill your dream. But Adam Queen and Dustin Greer are planning on racing Duo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dook of Moots; 06-25-2011 at 06:50 PM.

58. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hey Robert, you want to team up and race Duo with me? That is, if it's dry on the 10th.

Tryon, I hate to kill your dream. But Adam Queen and Dustin Greer are planning on racing Duo.
    It's the week before Iron Mountain. But thanks for asking. I am not good enough to ride Hammy. Sorry if I offended anyone but it's a legit question. I think Tim made the correct call even though we got no rain at the store today. Depends on where you were. Weather is just not predictable. I have been caught out in some bad pop ups on what started out to be a very nice and sunny day. Now I have totally

Thanks
    I'm kinda sick and tired of the mountain bike race scene anyway....
    I hear that...too much drama!

Thanks
    Looks like a good call, Tim.

I'm getting pretty feed up with rain, except on my lawn.

Gary

Thanks
    I have found a teammate for Duo. I had to bribe him. But it only took one Dale's Pale Ale..,,.He's really fast. But he pukes a lot. The name of team is gonna be. The Dook and the puke.
    Last edited by Dook of Moots; 06-26-2011 at 05:47 PM.

63. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Dook and Puke! Beanbag!

65. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hey guys - I moved the race for a few reasons. I did not want a low turnout. I did not want to run the race in wet conditions. I did not want people to get injured. (That could happen anyway, but when it's wet out there, it's just ridiculous) I did not want Sorba to be put in a negative light.

Jeff is right about one thing, I may be on to something. Any other events I do at Hamilton Creek I will build in a rain date. I thought it would be more difficult to change the dates on a race, but turns out it's not that hard. Perhaps more events will be able to do this to ensure dry races. With more planning next year, we won't have to scramble at the last minute for a rain date and overlap other local events.

I hope everyone can make it! It will be a fun event. If it rains on July 10th, we'll just have to live with it guys! Given the weather on June 26th, looks like we made the right decision.

Tim
    Last edited by Uzzi; 07-01-2011 at 12:00 PM.

67. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    WOOT!!! My wife said that I could bail on the inlaws for the race. I won't be able to make it for the festival though. That was a battle that I was NOT going to win.
    Custom Steel Cysco 29er
    Niner One 9
    Niner Air 9
    2011 Allez Comp Apex

Thanks
    Any other events I do at Hamilton Creek I will build in a rain date. I thought it would be more difficult to change the dates on a race, but turns out it's not that hard. Perhaps more events will be able to do this to ensure dry races. With more planning next year, we won't have to scramble at the last minute for a rain date and overlap other local events.

Thanks Tim,
    Moving a race isn't the huge deal that cancelling entirely can be. When we had to move our crit last year due to the flood we figured it would be a disaster. Turned out to be a great event all around and the momentum from that choice carried right over into this year's crit, which was even better. Racers and spectators alike appreciate that level of consideration.

Here's hoping for solid weather in two weeks!

Thanks
    I rode Hammy on Saturday

Uzzi made the right call

The beginner loop was mush

The advanced trail was drier but not great

I did not even waste my time trying the lake side trail, we all know what that would have looked like

Thread Information