Thread: 2 X 10

Thanks
    Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,035 Posts

Question 2 X 10

Well, I dropped the ball - very excited about getting a new bike. Not sure when she'll arrive.

Now for the question, I've only tried the 2 x 10 drive train in a parking lot. How is it on a trail? What gears do you find yourself using? Do you switch between big ring and granny a lot? (and this is on my first 29'er)

I find myself, with 26" wheels and a 11-32 cassette in gears 2-5 and middle ring about 80% of the time. But, I range from granny to big ring too, especially places like Lock 4, Tanasi, Mousetail, etc...

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    I can't tell you for sure since my Epic still has a 3x10, 44x33x22. I can tell you that due in part to the 29 inch wheels and changes in gearing, sections where I went to the big ring on my 26er, I now stay in the middle ring. I rarely shift out of the middle ring. In fact, the only place that I have used the small ring is Mousetail Landing since some of that stuff is just steep. I am a spinner though, not a masher so you may have a different experience. The good news on a 2x10 is that the front shifting will be unbelievably fast, so it won't be a big deal to drop down to the small ring. The better chainline will also improve efficiency. Your new Epic will probably use a 12-36 Shimano cassette and a custom SRAM 38x24 crankset. If that turns out to be too big for you, in 2012 SRAM will be releasing additional chain ring options. Currently, you can only get a 42x28 and a 39x26. In 2012 you will be able to get those, plus a 38x24 and 36x22. This means that you will be able to swap out chain rings if you want. I am waiting until the 38x24 gets released before I convert to a 2x10.
    Custom Steel Cysco 29er
    Niner One 9
    Niner Air 9
    2011 Allez Comp Apex

Race Director for SORBA-Chattanooga

"Rest satisfied with doing well and leave others to talk of you as they please"
    "Every time I make a plan, God laughs at me."

3. The following user says "Thank You" to Bigred15 for this useful post:

Thanks
    I run a 24/36 with BlackSpire rings and a 11/34 cassette. I do love the set up as I rarely used the granny gear in the 3X0 set up. However, I do see a lot of overlap in the lower ranges and rarely drop into the 24 ring . . . usually for long climbs where i'm beat. I'm going to give a 1X9 a shot with my next frame and see how that runs . . . should work great if I can find a cassette with a large range.
    Last edited by Requiem; 08-03-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Middle TN Gravity Pics / Vids

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

5. The following user says "Thank You" to Requiem for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    I run a 24/36 with BlackSpire rings and a 11/34 cassette. I do love the set up as I rarely used the granny gear in the 3X0 set up. However, I do see a lot of overlap in the lower ranges and rarely drop into the 24 ring . . . usually for long climbs where i'm beat. I'm going to give a 1X9 a shot with my next frame and see how that runs . . . should work great if I can find a cassette with a large range.
    Shimano makes a 9 speed 12-36 cassette. It was intended for 29ers, but would most likely work for you as well.
    Custom Steel Cysco 29er
    Niner One 9
    Niner Air 9
    2011 Allez Comp Apex

Race Director for SORBA-Chattanooga

"Rest satisfied with doing well and leave others to talk of you as they please"
    "Every time I make a plan, God laughs at me."

7. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Bigred15 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 420 Posts
    This may answer some concerns you may have.

I posted this on my FB page a while back:

* Colored areas illustrate an overlapping gear combos *

Important to note too, pay attention to what cassette the manufacturer is pairing with the double vs. the triple. It's may and should be different.
    Last edited by BigRingTravis; 08-03-2011 at 12:51 PM.
    Proudly servicing the needs of many at The Bike Shop of Johnson City
    AKA: The Bike Wisperer, Credit to: Brian Wray & Co.

9. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to BigRingTravis for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'm running 38x26 with a 11-36 cassette and I have plenty of gears. Steve I doubt you will miss any of the gears you have on your 3x9. I don't find myself changing all that much up front. It just depends on the course. I find myself riding in the big ring at most races especially like Lock 4 but some that have climbing I'll see me change a time or two per lap. But at Mousetail I rode all but the road section in the smaller ring. You will probably end up using the smaller ring much like your middle ring now and ride in it most of the time and only shift up to the large ring on road or really open/fast sections. I've never missed my triple been on a 2x10for last 2 1/2 years and love the way it shifts.
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

11. The following user says "Thank You" to Specialized_Michael for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialized_Michael View Post
    Steve I doubt you will miss any of the gears you have on your 3x9.
    They aren't missing. They're just duplicated! LoL

13. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to BigRingTravis for this useful post:

Thanks
    The gear ratio chart is cool Trav. Looks like what Michael said - L4 big ring, Mousetail/Tanasi granny with the big ring for the flat and downhill sections.

This is going to be fun

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Thanks

Thumbs up

My first impressions of the 2X10 are in, and I definitely like it!!!

At Lock 4 it's big ring for everything except the two or three short steep sections - I just drop to granny and back when I hit the top. The front chainrings shift so much better than the 9 speed triple that I'm used to. Very crisp shifting in the rear too.

For comparison I'm running the Sram 1050 cassette, XO rear, X9 shifters, X7 front, and the Sram 2200 carbon crank (Specialized OEM crank). Very nice - I'm happy I just wish I could ride somewhere on my day off.

Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 718 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TNcaveman View Post
    I just wish I could ride somewhere on my day off.

Steve
    Your new bike caused this rain. It always happens when someone gets a new bike. Thanks!!!

17. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to cooper58 for this useful post:

Thanks
    After about 200 miles, I definitely like the 2X10 setup. It's really amazing how fast the front rings shift. Sometimes the jump from the big to small ring is a little too much though. Closer ring spacing (teeth count) would diminish the range of gearing though.

As for the SRAM shifters - they (2011/12 X9) are super fast but I really miss my Shimano XT shifters. Up shifting w/ the right hand I think is more intuitive with the index finger. But, I'm getting used to it. The X0 rear derailleur is super fast and shifts very smoothly. The 1050 cassette is good also (and lighter than the 1070). Too bad the light cassettes are $200+

All in all, I think the 2X10 is better than 3X9, mostly in the quality of front gear shifting. My XT level rear gears never were a problem.

Steve

19. The following user says "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    I hate the fact that I'm carrying around extra gears. 2X10 is a superb idea - 2X9 would probably be better, guess it matters where you ride. I know a lot of folks that never shift out of the middle ring.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    I hate the fact that I'm carrying around extra gears. 2X10 is a superb idea - 2X9 would probably be better, guess it matters where you ride. I know a lot of folks that never shift out of the middle ring.
    so a 1x9 would be even better... and so on. hehe
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    I never shift out of the middle ring. Been thinking about converting my Stumpjumper to a 1x9.

Lance Bowers

2018 Surly ECR 29+
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2013 Soma Fab Double Cross Disc

Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 Times in 644 Posts
    Singlespeed=no extra gears.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick37075 View Post
    I never shift out of the middle ring. Been thinking about converting my Stumpjumper to a 1x9.
    i never shift out of my middle unless i'm on the road or a very smooth trail. i have partially converted to a 2x9 with a 24 and a 34. i have yet to even shift into the 24. i was thinking about taking mine to a 2x9 in the other direction with a middle and a big ring.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    We have recently aquired several 2X9/10 conversion sets from Race Face. It has a 24 and 36 tooth rings with the bashring, and the required new bolt kit. We have these in stock for $67.99. They fit Sram, Shimano, Truvative, and obviously Race Face cranks.

These are a half step between your 22/32/44.

Looks really good too.

Quit scraping your big ring - go "Compact All Mountain" and enjoy your ride!

Thread Information