Thread: Chickasaw Work Day Sept. 10th

Thanks

Chickasaw Work Day Sept. 10th

We are having a work day Sept. 10th at chickasaw starting at 7:00 am and would love your help. We will meet at the log cabin and head out to different parts of the trail from there. If you have tools (shovels, weedeater, mattock/picks, rakes, etc.)bring them with you. We will provide lunch for everyone and we will probably do a group ride after we finish working so bring your bike with you. Kids are welcome too! They actually are really helpful and it helps teach them that we have to put in the time to have cool places to ride.

Thanks,

-vic

2. The following user says "Thank You" to chancho for this useful post:

Thanks

Suggestions

Cool.. I plan to be there to help out.. From your post on the Drop thread asking for suggestions.. Here are a few improvements I'd like to see. Some are safety related and give options for both advanced and beginner riders. Most prob just make up for my crappy technique :

1. Turn the doubles on river trail right after the road crossing into table tops. Folks that are fast enough to clear the doubles can still clear the table tops, but slower folks (like me) can at least get some air and not worry about crashing into the second hump.

2. Turn the log pile later on the river trail in to a small jump with a flat landing. Fast folks still have the hop option, slow folks have an air option. That part of the trail is so smooth and flowing, little jumps here and there can be a lot of fun, the logpile breaks the flow for novice riders (so does the detour). Replace the logpile on a slower part of the trail.

3. Turn the big gap jump at MM1 into a table top with a bridge, sloping from the launch point to the existing dirt landing zone. Same concept here.. Fast riders can clear the table top just like they clear the gap now. Slower riders can take the bridge option and/or get as much air as they want/can handle. Right now that jump is all-or-none, I bet most riders choose none.

4. Logpile on the downhill past the jailbreak cut would be a great place for another small jump. Move the logpile a little farther down where novice riders don't have to bleed off so much energy from that DH run. But put it in a place fast enough so that advanced riders can hop.

5. Widen the table top in the clearing just past the shelters. Feels too narrow for it's width. Novice riders don't have the courage to hit it at much speed b/c too much risk flying off one side or the other.

6. Possible reroutes near the river banks. Both at beginning and near the end of the trail, and a couple of spots on Ravine Loop. Couple of fast, flowing sections that take you right to the edge. A bad line can have some big consequences there.

7. On Ravine there is a left-right turn through a couple of trees with barbed wire just on the left side of the trail (before the bamboo I think). Would love to see that barbed wire removed.

8. Possible reroute around the creek bed just after the first shortcut option (before the shelters). That area has gotten wide, always loose and rocky.

9. Reroute option on the climb around 4-5 just past the race track. The area with the landscape timbers for erosion control. Just doesn't feel "right" in that area.

10. Somewhere in ToT there is a downhill, switchback to the other direction and a root in the switchback with a pretty good drop. Since descending/braking it's hard to manual over that one. Smoothing out would fix the flow.

10. Something about first entry into the Dump that just doesn't feel right (the small drops and turns where the bamboo starts back).

11. Would love to see a log ride in the parking area, or maybe in the first clearing near the shelters. Nothing high, just something to putz around on and practice balance.

12. Put a mirror and/or a sign up at the road crossing between creek and river. And cut the bushes waaaay back so you can get a good view of the road before you shoot out of the creek trail. Fast part of the trail, I slow down for fear of getting T-boned, but I bet lots of folks just rip right across that road.

With all that said, this is by far my favorite trail- love the work all the folks have put into it, and happy to give back. Hope some of these ideas make sense.

4. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to CCzarnik for this useful post:

Thanks
    While y'all are at it could you get those dang rocks out of Hammy?

I kid..... I'm sure most of the points above are legit but it just seems like a lot of work on one of the smoothest and kid friendly trails around.

I should stay out of it since I can't make this workday. It's is on the same weekend of the Monty bell TT/XC race.(my home)
    You(CCzarnik) are definitely going about getting your points considered by being at the workday. I applaud you on that!
    Last edited by pump track jim; 08-15-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    It's not that bad

6. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to pump track jim for this useful post:

Thanks
    I didn't want to send the wrong message with that huge post. CT is about the only place I ride, really love the place. Just responding to vic's request for suggestions. If not one single thing from the list is done, that's 100% cool...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CCzarnik View Post
    I didn't want to send the wrong message with that huge post. CT is about the only place I ride, really love the place. Just responding to vic's request for suggestions. If not one single thing from the list is done, that's 100% cool...
    Your cool. I was just stirring the pot.
    It's not that bad

9. The following user says "Thank You" to pump track jim for this useful post:

Thanks
    If there is going to be jump building count me in!

11. The following user says "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thanks

Suggestions for improvements

CCzarnik - thanks for your suggestions! We will take them into consideration and I look forward to meeting you at the workday on Sept. 10th.

1. and 3. It is difficult to design all features for all levels of riders and that is why we try to include alternate routes around features that may be intimidating to some riders. That is also why we have included some jumps that are tabletops and some that are gaps. One reason that gaps are fun is that - well they are gaps. There is an added level of fun to some riders when they know its all or none. Another reason for gap jumps is that it takes a lot of dirt (i.e. shoveling) to fill in the area between the lip and landing. As we continue to add jumps, drops, and other features we will keep in mind balancing the risk levels associated with the features.

2. A jump over the left side of that log is a great idea and a project that will take very little time.

4. Another good idea/place for a jump off to one side of the pile. I say we make the pile taller and add a jump line as well!

5. Only problem with this idea is that it will take a lot of dirt - more than you would think and clean dirt is hard to come by, but I'm down if someone is willing to do the digging.

6. Its just water - it won't hurt that bad if you take a header! Just kidding - this is a good idea and one we have talked about before for safety and because the river/creek often claims little sections of trail when it floods anyway.

7. Not sure where you are talking about, but we can take a look on Sept. 10th.

8. Another idea we have talked about before and need to revisit. There really is not a very good line through that spot, but their isn't really a good option for a reroute either. It may be a good spot for some kind of elevated bridge or something.

9. Yeah - water bars are stupid and ther is a cool ravine/ditch to the left of that climb that might be a good spot for a reroute.

10. Not sure where, but we will take a look.

11. We would love to build some kind of cool skills area in the parking lot to play around on while waiting on your riding buddies to show up.

12. I think cutting back the foliage will give a good enough line of site for that spot.

Lots of good ideas/thoughts for improvements and we would love to tackle all of them. Unfortunately at a lot of our workdays the majority of time has to be spent trimming trails, clearing downed trees, and cutting face slappers - so we have to sort of prioritize the fun projects and get to them as we can. The more people we can get to show up on work days the more likely it is that we get to make improvements and not just do maintenance.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and for making a commitment to show up on Sept. 10th!

-vic

13. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to chancho for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'll be there barring unforseen circumstances. If I can get my weedeater running, I'll bring it and some manual labor tools.

15. The following user says "Thank You" to JimD for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'm racing out of town on the 10th, but will make sure my section of trail is nicely groomed. Most of it's not part of the Jailbreak, so perhaps I can find trimming to do elsewhere and pitch in that way freeing you guys up to do more important stuff on the 10th.

Regarding the suggested changes above...keep in mind the desire of the racers who have worked hard to master some of those sections and features. Adding bypasses or jumps or ramps can take away a competitive advantage. So, if you are creating an easier alternative for less experienced riders, try to make that alternative longer, or slower than the more advanced route.

17. The following user says "Thank You" to jyeager for this useful post:

Thanks
    We are still on for Saturday the 10th - I look forward to seeing yall there!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 884 Posts
    Planning on being there!! Anything particular we need to bring? Or just show up?

Thanks!
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    "Dead last is greater than did not finish, which trumps did not start."
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reedly View Post
    Planning on being there!! Anything particular we need to bring? Or just show up?

Thanks!
    Reed, it's at 7AM, did you realize this?!! LOL!

21. The following user says "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thanks
    lol -- Yeah, I was warned of that once already after I posted it!! What -- you won't still be up from the night before? Party on Friday night!! Let's go!!
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thanks
    See everyone in the morning.

Thanks
    You can bring any hand tools if you have them (shovel, rake, mattock, pick, pruners, etc.). I think we are set on chainsaws and weedeaters. Thanks and I'll see you in the morning.

Thanks
    Oh...and bring your bike-I plan on riding after and I'm sure some others will too!

Thanks
    Sadly, I won't have any tools to bring along...but I'll try to be there at 7 by the log cabin. Will there be extra tools or is it foolish to show up at Chickasaw for a workday without any?

Thanks!!
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Thanks
    I'll be there, assorted hand toos (shovels, rakes, picks, pruner) and weedeater, plus my bike. Hope there are some slow folks riding tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanks to everyone who showed up for the work day. We had about 12-15 people and were able to get alot of stuff done. Me and my crew pretty much cleared trees all day while another couple of crews trimmed trails and face slappers. AaronB his and crew built a sweet booter just after the boat ramp and also bermed a couple of turns at one of the new re-routes. Thanks again for all of the help and I look forward to seeing all of yall out there riding.

29. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to chancho for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks for all your hard work Vic and Aaron. You guys are always out there working on the trails. I know you have to be worn out Vic, you ran that chain saw all day long. Glad chickasaw has people like you guys to help with the trails.

Cody
    Last edited by cgoodman; 09-12-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: adding name

31. The following user says "Thank You" to cgoodman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Vic, JimD, and many others - it was great to meet you out there Saturday. Aaron, always good to hang out - especially building jumps...(I mean, working hard on corrective features, berms, etc...lol)

The crew that worked on all of those trees worked crazy hard. Thanks for all of your work. I'm still recovering from all the shoveling, so I can't imagine having been lifting those huge trees ALL DAY LONG.

Thanks for the pizza and refreshments afterward too. By ride time, I was amazingly tired, and could barely drag myself around the trail!! Slept well that night.

Thanks again for all of your continuous hard work out there.
    Signature:
    _________
    Reed Lilley
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

33. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Reedly for this useful post:

Thread Information