Thread: Anyone been to or have any beta on the new trail at Oak Mountain? It looks Bad A$$!

Thanks

Anyone been to or have any beta on the new trail at Oak Mountain? It looks Bad A$$!

Here is a link to a video and a thread discussion. Looks pretty good, but still a 3 hour drive. I am trying to decide when I want to go check it out.

Build Thread

2. The following 10 users say "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 718 Posts
    I NEED to ride this!!!

4. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to cooper58 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    I rode there last Sunday. It is a good trail. Make sure and plan to ride all of it. Get a good map because MoFlo is not easy to find. Watch your speed because it will throw you in the air. Two people busted bad there last week. I just rolled it. It is fun with good flow but I am not into big jumps. You will love Jekyll and Hyde, the West Ridge Trail, and Boulder Ridge. Make sure and plan to be out there at least 4 hours. It is worth the drive and the $3.00 park entry fee on the weekend. Have fun.

6. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Road trip!
    Thank you sir may I have another?!

8. The following user says "Thank You" to Watchthis for this useful post:

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Ohh my I want to ride this.....

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

10. The following user says "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post
    Ohh my I want to ride this.....
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper58 View Post
    I NEED to ride this!!!
    That's what I have been saying for the past couple of weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Watchthis View Post
    Road trip!
    I have been thinking about curing my no Snake Blues with a trip down there this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I rode there last Sunday. It is a good trail. Make sure and plan to ride all of it. Get a good map because MoFlo is not easy to find. Watch your speed because it will throw you in the air. Two people busted bad there last week. I just rolled it. It is fun with good flow but I am not into big jumps. You will love Jekyll and Hyde, the West Ridge Trail, and Boulder Ridge. Make sure and plan to be out there at least 4 hours. It is worth the drive and the $3.00 park entry fee on the weekend. Have fun.
    Thanks for the info Robert. BTW, Have you heard anything new with all the happenings with the Forest Service down around Stanley? The survey, mapping, and reallocation of trail and possible expansion or elimination?

12. The following user says "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Thanks
    Robert, is this a whole new trail or just jumps built into the old trail?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    It is a completely new trail. When you are riding the main loop clockwise and come to the campground road, in about .5 miles you will see where the single track continues to the left. Just past that is a gate. Ride around the gate and up the hill until you see the camp sign, (cannot miss it), then you will see the beginning of the trail to your left. It will reconnect with the main trail in about 1.2 miles. If you want to continue riding clockwise, make a right at the bottom. Boulder ridge, West Ridge are at the top of the fire road climb. After you ride Boulder and West Ridge, you will see the Bump trail bypass. If you ride this it will connect back to the Bump trail that heads to Blood Rock. Before the swithcbacks, above Blood Rock, you will see a trail to your right. That is Jekyil and Hyde and it ends at the base of Johnson's Mountain. And to answer your last question about the USFS work in all the areas, here is a link to a discussion about this on Sorba: http://www.sorba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38456

hope this helps.

15. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Looks fun! Fast, open and flowy! Pretty long way to travel for just that trail, but if you could ride other stuff as well that would be an awesome little section to ride a bunch of times!

Thanks
    I have to try this trail, before my move to Phoenix! I might try to take a detour here next week on the way to New Orleans. Thanks for the video.
    Last edited by wareagle2005; 01-15-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: grammatical error

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 718 Posts
    I can now confirm this trail system is no joke!! I'll be going back several times this year. So much FUN!!

19. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to cooper58 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper58 View Post
    I can now confirm this trail system is no joke!! So much FUN!!
    that Chris!

Here is a Google Earth file with the map from the iMapMyRide app that I recorded on our ride this last weekend.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

Thanks
    I'm down for a road trip anytime. Looks awesome.
    Jeff
    jeff@mixedminds.com
    2011 Santa Cruz NomadC
    2011 Specialized Demo 8

Thanks
    I rode out there a couple of weeks ago. I started at the north parking lot and road about 27 miles. Every mile was absolutely awesome in one way or the other. It is definitely worth the drive, and if you are into good beers then check out The J. Clyde. You can also stop by Vulcan Beverage to bring back some of those beers you can’t find in Nashville yet.

Thread Information