Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cane Ridge Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    The map in utarch00 post is just a portion of a bigger map (with all the finished and proposed sections). The Phase 3 loop will connect to the trail system where the blue and the red meet. So taken out of context, it is a bit confusing. If you look at the map at the trail head, this becomes less confusing. But, the splitting of the Phase 2 is not noted on the trail head map, so this may be confusing too.

I would guess this mainly has to do with plans changing and funds to purchase maps being limited.

Mark

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bradybunch12 View Post
    I also find the blue section on the map slightly confusing. The yellow loop should still be closed, with blue only leading off to the red loop. Blue going all the way to trail head is throwing me off, when I perceive it as a connector. Just throwing it out there.
    i find the version numbers confusing. I may try to download the beta version of windows 9 later... you know... windows 9.1?

get it while it's hot.. read it before it gets deleted!
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts
    Keep the subject about the trail and it's conditions.

Thanks
    Trail is nice and tacky. The usual low spots holding water on trail 1. Some mushy spots on 2. This is a great, fun trail. Thanks to all that worked on it. I went right at the fork, counterclockwise. I do vote for a little rise for and aft of the first toilet bowl. Also the first two rises make to a table top, although since that is two traffic maybe not. This trail is so fun. Thank you, thank you.
    I cleared the spider webs. Mapmyride shows 4.70 miles with 1 & 2 going counterclockwise.
    Last edited by Username; 08-26-2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Stupid auto correct
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

5. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    I see the names on the map, yellow jacket and bone yard, so its not just one loop? Are the 2 sections rated differently? Or just naming the particular section? Just curious, as I consider Cane Ridge my home track, and am very excited!
    If you look you will see where bone yard and yeller jacket come together this is a temporary connector so we could get more trail open sooner. Moving forward that connector may disappear but those 2 sections will be extended by another ~2 miles in total. If you look at the trailhead map or some of the older ones you will see how the trail loops around and comes back into where the 2 currently connect.

Glad you like it keep riding it to burn it in.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by utarch00 View Post
    This is your one and only warning. Keep the subject about the trail and it's conditions. You want to try and be funny, which you clearly aren't, take it somewhere else.
    i thought you guys were open to suggestions. i made a suggestion that you obviously didn't like. that doesn't invalidate my suggestion. i've put in as many or more hours than you at cane ridge, but if you don't really want input from the people who work their butts off out there, then I guess we shouldn't waste our time trying to help.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    I too was confused by the "one and only warning", I didnt even know who he was warning. I thought it was me, apparently you thought it was you but I think we were both discussing the trail, in a positive manner, and throwing our 2 cents out in hopes of improving the Cane Ridge experience. I personally deeply appreciate all the hard work that goes into these trails and meant no disrepect.

9. The following user says "Thank You" to bradybunch12 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 492 Posts
    I see the names on the map, yellow jacket and bone yard, so its not just one loop? Are the 2 sections rated differently? Or just naming the particular section? Just curious, as I consider Cane Ridge my home track, and am very excited!
    Note the blue line is two way and will be used as a connector even to future trails further out. Bone Yard and Yallar Jacket are current a single loop that will be expanded further west/southwest. We used a temporary connector so we could quickly expand this addition. More details trail signs and updated map will develop as the trail continues to expand. I hope this helps a bit. Thanks!
    Last edited by dirtdog; 08-26-2014 at 01:57 PM.

11. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to dirtdog for this useful post:

Thanks
    All this nit picking. Go out and ride. It's been a long time since I have ridden a trail that left me grinning for ear to ear several hours after the ride. Thank you SORBA, all the Volunteers, and Metro Parks.
    SORBA - IMBA Member

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

13. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    I missed all of what happened. But back to the request for additional feedback we were referring to new elements that can be easily added to the existing and newly opened trail. Rollers, berms, skinnys, jumps, etc... can be added but their placement needs to make sense. Moving the existing trail is more involved but adding additional lines is a possibility if there is something awesome not too far away that is not too close to any planned trail. Take pictures and GPS coordinates and post them. The more feedback the better but please make it constructive.

If you want to have input on new trail layout and adding elements as the trails are being built please inquire with Darryl at Sorba MidTN (dirtdog on here). Not sure when the next phase (phase 2 part deux) will begin but hopefully later this fall/winter. The current phase that was just completed was 95% cut and 100% laid out which is why feedback was not requested until it opened.
    -Austin

15. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    The way I generally look at the trail in its current state is simply that it is 2 independent loops joined by a single connector. It really doesn't matter how one refers to its number or phase designation. For now, if there is any reason to refer to which part of the trail one is referring to (tree removal, mud holes that need addressed, etc), 1 and 2 work pretty well. When more signage gets put in place with trail names, this could also be beneficial. Until then, just go out and enjoy the more than doubled amount of dirt to ride at Cane Ridge.

A tip that I would share based on personal experiences, if you need to get out quickly (mechanical, medical...), just walk to the sound of RC planes on one side or softball/cheering activity on the other. It's going on during the daylight hours quite often.

Mark

Thanks
    Went out this morning about 8am to ride and had a blast as usual. The new loop is a great addition. However upon my arrival I pulled into the parking lot and there were about 8-10 hispanic males and females apprehended in the middle of the parking lot. I asked the park ranger what was going on and he said he caught them in the wood having a big orgy! You can't make this stuff up! Between hispanic orgies and men having butt sex in the woods, I'm not sure I would take child out there to ride.

18. The following user says "Thank You" to TM. for this useful post:

Thanks
    Maybe that cooler, tarp and teapot that I spot on the right hand side on trail 2 belong to them. Thanks if you cleared the spider webs
    SORBA - IMBA Member

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

Thanks
    I did clear many spider webs!! I even brought a couple spiders home with me!

21. The following user says "Thank You" to TM. for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    Maybe that cooler, tarp and teapot that I spot on the right hand side on trail 2 belong to them. Thanks if you cleared the spider webs
    That old camp site was left over probably from the days when people hunted back there. Camp site has been untouched in 2 years. Mark is working on clearing it and throwing it into the trash.

As far as the behaviors... ugh. Need more people out there at all times of the day to push this behavior somewhere else.
    -Austin

23. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    I made a couple passes at it this morning and collected some spiders and webs for everyone rolling through later. Still a pretty fun little trail.

Comments on phase 2: I only have two observations. The first log over you encounter on phase 2 was...a little abrupt on the SS. Possibly write this off as par for the course on a rigid bike, or maybe it's because on an XXL frame the wheel base is just that long. Either way, it's an observation. Second - what that trail needs more than anything right now - before rollers are added, or anything else - is to have the crap ridden out of it. There are places where I think certain additions may work, once the trail is faster, but right now even some of the stuff that's there is just -there- because parts of the trail are still soft or rougher than they will be once it's ridden in properly.

So yall go hit it up and do multiple laps for your milage.

25. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 731 Posts
    Rode Phase 2.1 yesterday for first time. We started this in August 2012. Finished 1.5 miles by August 2013. Now, August 2014, have it open. Woo. Hoo!

I thought fast and fun. Will continue to make improvements to make faster and more fun. Trail was dry but traction was decent in the turns. Intend to go out this Sat. to fix that first V ditch. I heard several in parking lot complaining that it was dangerous.

I ran into young woman in parking lot that was preparing to walk her big doberman dog. I told her this trail was for bikes only. She replied that she did not care what the rules were, that she did this every day, and was not going to stop. I am going to report her to Park Police. All we need is pets on leashes. Jeeze, some people.
    --Bob S.

We need you all. Please join today.
    -- -------o----------o---------o------------
    '10 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er - Seriously Loving it. -great bike.
    '05 Rnj Ano Santa Cruz Blur Classic,
    1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'
    Spc'lzd Roubaix Comp road bike

27. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to kindacreeky for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
    That old camp site was left over probably from the days when people hunted back there. Camp site has been untouched in 2 years. Mark is working on clearing it and throwing it into the trash.

As far as the behaviors... ugh. Need more people out there at all times of the day to push this behavior somewhere else.
    I pulled the tent up a few days back. It was about to become one with the earth. It is all on the list to be removed. Just a decent hike to get to it and get out with it. May be a job for the bob-trailer and hard tail.

Orgies in the woods!? Now that is a a new one.

Mark

29. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to QuestionMark for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestionMark View Post

Orgies in the woods!? Now that is a a new one.

Mark
    I know, I had a difficult time imagining that. Gave up very quickly.!!!
    --Bob S.

We need you all. Please join today.
    -- -------o----------o---------o------------
    '10 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er - Seriously Loving it. -great bike.
    '05 Rnj Ano Santa Cruz Blur Classic,
    1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'
    Spc'lzd Roubaix Comp road bike

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kindacreeky View Post
    Intend to go out this Sat. to fix that first V ditch. I heard several in parking lot complaining that it was dangerous.
    Thank you! me and my buddy about went over the handle bars with that one yesterday.

Love the new section! There are a few places in there that are a ton of fun. Not a big fan of all the small logs everywhere though. I assume they were intended to be there but they just seem to be in the way of going fast! maybe one day I'll be able to hop over them without slowing down.

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thetimanator View Post
    Thank you! me and my buddy about went over the handle bars with that one yesterday.

Love the new section! There are a few places in there that are a ton of fun. Not a big fan of all the small logs everywhere though. I assume they were intended to be there but they just seem to be in the way of going fast! maybe one day I'll be able to hop over them without slowing down.
    One of my buddies called those 'Tennessee speed bumps' earlier today. I have no idea what our local trails infatuation is with them. You won't find these sorts of 'features' at bigger trails around (north ga, chattanooga, asheville etc...)
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

33. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    I think the intent for this new section of trail is a skill builder. Which I think is great. I don't lose any speed going over the smaller obstacles. The large logs yes and I'm working on the day I can bunny hop over them or at this without a big lose of momentum. I agree it is fun to go fast. But speed without skill is call stupid.
    SORBA - IMBA Member

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

Thanks
    I really enjoyed the new section today. I agree that the V section needs some help. My second lap around, I enjoyed the "Tennessee speed bumps" more then vs first lap by planning ahead and keeping my speed up. Still kinda up in the air as to the sheer amount of said speed bumps. Also, the first 2 parking spots on side opposite the map, were full of glass. Don't expect anyone to take care, but more of a heads up. Some other trail feedback, I think the "wrong way" sign at the end should go. Maybe a "caution" or "2 way" sign. I know myself, and 137 others on Strava, finish a lap on section 1 going uphill, into the skills loop. It's a nice finish to your ride, and should be able to enjoyed in that direction without guilt. http://app.strava.com/segments/7201937
    2015 Motobecane Fantom 29

Thanks
    Is the trail too wet to ride today?

37. The following user says "Thank You" to PPMTB for this useful post:

Thanks
    More then likely. Check sorbamidtn.org for trail closures and opening info.
    SORBA - IMBA Member

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

Thanks
    Sorba never did update for Sunday, but it was totally dry enough to ride. There is a vine hanging low right as you come up from a dip through the creek, forcing you off the bike. (Section 1) And the V section has already received a remedy! Loving the new trail!

40. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to bradybunch12 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Went out this morning. All good! The vine forced me off the bike too.

IMBA_SORBA is offline Show your Trail Love & Join/Renew...We can't go on without you!
    IMBA-SORBA Middle TN is a 501 c3 non for profit volunteer supported organization, who's mission is to advocate mountain biking and sustainable mountai
    Thanks
    I think the "wrong way" sign at the end should go. Maybe a "caution" or "2 way" sign. I know myself, and 137 others on Strava, finish a lap on section 1 going uphill, into the skills loop. http://app.strava.com/segments/7201937
    The skills area will probably develop more features and will remain one way. We have many small kids do lap after lap. It may also develop into a pump track, so please DO NOT ride it the wrong way.

43. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to IMBA_SORBA for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trails all good. Just watch on trail 2 the corner on the ledge rock it's still wet, mossy and loose rocks. Otherwise go enjoy cause I cleared all the bloody spiderwebs. Hate those bloody bastards.
    SORBA - IMBA Member

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

45. The following user says "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    Anybody ride the trail today? Sundays are my only day off and the weather the past few weeks has been severely pissing me off. I'm hoping to get some riding in today but I don't want to if the trail is really bad.

Thanks
    I rode the trails for the first time yesterday afternoon. There was one other bike on the trails at the time, and one more as i left. The older of the trails was fun and very hard packed. The newer partial loop was very fun. The big log rolls looked intimidating at first but were pretty easy. With some more riding this trail should pack down good. Nothing forced me off the bike so i assume all the previous issues were addressed.

I work only about 9 miles from this trail, but traffic getting there and back was horrible yesterday!

48. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Adam Slight for this useful post:

Thanks
    Out there this afternoon. Thanks to the person who cleared the spiders. I was finally able to ride without stopping to wipe them off. Super fun this is going to be a great trail. It's nice and dry. With the wind there are a few branches on the trail but nothing you can't ride over. I was in a hurry so I wasn't able to go back and clear them. Enjoy it before it rains.
    SORBA - IMBA Member

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

50. The following user says "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trail was great today..... I really like riding out there since it is so close to my house. But, that place is in a desperate need of some BURMS!!! I can't complain too much though since I don't really have the time to volunteer to help build them. Maybe one day I will but for now big thanks to the guys that do.

52. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Calwilliams63 for this useful post:

Thanks

Cane Ridge Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

I would like to get out and experience this trail. Question I have is weather I will have any problems with someone trying to break into my car or mess with me on the trail?

Thanks
    I doubt it. I've never had any problems out there. Usually the perverts try not to be seen, and as part of that, they don't mess with other people's stuff.

Thanks

Re: Cane Ridge Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Quote Originally Posted by Amalgam29 View Post
    I would like to get out and experience this trail. Question I have is weather I will have any problems with someone trying to break into my car or mess with me on the trail?
    Just be smart and don't leave valuables in plain site. I have seen broken glass in the parking lot indicative of a break-in, but I don't know of any recent reports.
    --
    stephen

Thanks

Cane Ridge Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    Just be smart and don't leave valuables in plain site. I have seen broken glass in the parking lot indicative of a break-in, but I don't know of any recent reports.
    Thanks man. Only thing worth breaking in my car for is my dip. Lol

Thanks

Re: Cane Ridge Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks man. Only thing worth breaking in my car for is my dip. Lol
    If someone breaks into mine, I hope they steal the whole thing.
    --
    stephen

58. The following user says "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    Rode the trail today, had a blast as always. This trail is packed hard, which makes it super fast! I like to ride a big lap, both sections back to back, and the last real obstacle of my ride is a stupid log on phase 2. The log crosses the trail at a funny angle. Plus the tree has limbs/roots that can catch your pedals if you dont cross it at the right angle. I hate this tree. http://imgur.com/a/NlgBd

Thanks
    Ah. I remember that tree. Not so bad, just get some speed up before hand, get your pedals level, and hit it. If you don't carry enough speed into it, it could get hairy though.

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    I don't think you will find too many allies to remove that tree. Once you are able to clear it, you might find it's less stupid.

62. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    I ride out there all the time and have not had a problem yet. Not to say it can't happen there or anywhere else for that matter. I'd say just try to be cautious. Hope to see you out there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calwilliams63 View Post
    I ride out there all the time and have not had a problem yet. Not to say it can't happen there or anywhere else for that matter. I'd say just try to be cautious. Hope to see you out there.
    my truck got broken into in my driveway at my house in smyrna... bad crap can happen anywhere.
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    I don't think you will find too many allies to remove that tree. Once you are able to clear it, you might find it's less stupid.
    And rewarding!

Thanks
    The new section is very fun! Great on a CX bike too! Perfect skill/speed builder without any real climbs to slow you down.

The new trail definitely needs some laps though before we go in to the winter. Bumpy new trail is annoying.

It was in great shape yesterday! Dry without being dusty.
    Last edited by chasethis; 09-15-2014 at 01:23 PM.
    Do It Better

Thanks
    Oh great. Okay Sorba - it's a good indicator that when people can ride the trail on a cross bike, it's too easy!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    my truck got broken into in my driveway at my house in smyrna... bad crap can happen anywhere.
    But it definitely happens MORE in Smyrna!

Thanks
    But it definitely happens MORE in Smyrna!
    all of those hoodlums from nolensville come over here to break into cars!
    --
    stephen

Thanks
    I appreciate you insulting my riding skill, but the tree is still stupid. Its about the angle it crosses and those roots sticking up. If you dont turn enough, but rather try to just hop it, you end up in those roots. If you do turn enough but dont clear it, the angle causes you to slide down the log because of how it crosses against the grain in the turn, and again into pedal catching roots. You seem to think there is no way someone could have a different opinion of that turn, it must be a riding skill thing. I said it was stupid, not hard. It's a buzz killing, injury hazard, at the bottom of the last good descent of your lap, against the grain in a turn. I call that stupid. You could knock those roots off, leave the tree, and we would both be happy, but instead lets insult each other!

If you cant give feedback without being insulted, dont expect real feedback or a real community here. My other feedback for Cane, was instantly dismissed with "think of the kids" BS, now its the opposite and feedback is dismissed simply because you think I must not be a good enough rider.

Thanks
    Oh great. Okay Sorba - it's a good indicator that when people can ride the trail on a cross bike, it's too easy!
    I didn't say I was on old geezer on a hybrid(which I've totally witnessed at PWP). I have ridden my cross bike at every local trail...including hammy, and somehow on quite a few sections have PRs on the cross bike. I have way more fun on my epic but there's a certain finesse needed to pull a 30 lb steel cx bike on 32c's around good single track. Besides, ripping mtb trails on skinnies and drop bars feels so wrong that its just, right. And with the exception of hammy i will totally continue to push the limits of the cx bike. I'm still not totally convinced to go 29er and for the time being the CX bike is as close as i will get. same trail + two bikes= two trails.

With cane ridge's terrain it will probably always be very CX-able. Its just not got the steeps grades or rocks to turn skinny tires away.
    Last edited by chasethis; 09-15-2014 at 04:00 PM.
    Do It Better

Thread Information