Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cane Ridge Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    my truck got broken into in my driveway at my house in smyrna... bad crap can happen anywhere.
    I agree.... and that's why I have insurance and don't keep anything valuable in my truck.

Thanks

Re: Cane Ridge Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Quote Originally Posted by Calwilliams63 View Post
    I agree.... and that's why I have insurance and don't keep anything valuable in my truck.
    I now have cameras.

The guys that broke into my truck stole stupid stuff. 2 pairs of gloves, phone charger, aux cable, and garage door remote. Around $100 of stuff so not worth an insurance claim. I'm still looking for some winter riding gloves on sale to replace the ones they stole that I got on clearance.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    Hmm. I picked up a sweet pair of winter gloves this spring for like $20. Don't remember where off hand, but they were insulated, wind proof and had nice grippy palms, and you could still feel the brakes through the fingers of the glove. Less important around here than when you hit up stuff in Va where there's real elevation.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradybunch12 View Post
    I appreciate you insulting my riding skill, but the tree is still stupid. Its about the angle it crosses and those roots sticking up. If you dont turn enough, but rather try to just hop it, you end up in those roots. If you do turn enough but dont clear it, the angle causes you to slide down the log because of how it crosses against the grain in the turn, and again into pedal catching roots. You seem to think there is no way someone could have a different opinion of that turn, it must be a riding skill thing. I said it was stupid, not hard. It's a buzz killing, injury hazard, at the bottom of the last good descent of your lap, against the grain in a turn. I call that stupid. You could knock those roots off, leave the tree, and we would both be happy, but instead lets insult each other!

If you cant give feedback without being insulted, dont expect real feedback or a real community here. My other feedback for Cane, was instantly dismissed with "think of the kids" BS, now its the opposite and feedback is dismissed simply because you think I must not be a good enough rider.
    I know I and others who help build the trails appreciate any feedback. Unfortunately many threads on this forum have devolved into an insult fest in many cases and many questions or thoughts are dismissed and belittled.

As far as the tree is concerned we want to keep the tree but we could probably cut the roots off a bit lower so they are not sticking up as high to catch your pedals. Will chat with Mark and others and see what their thoughts are. Until then if you are worried about crashing I would recommend walking over it.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

5. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    I rode it again today, and someone had taken out the most offensive root/roots. I didnt stop to take a close look, as I was riding for a good lap time. But it did look like the leaves at the base of the tree were scruffed up, I hope it was from someone stomping around on those roots and not signs of a wipeout lol. Either way, the tree was actually better today.
    2015 Motobecane Fantom 29”

7. The following user says "Thank You" to bradybunch12 for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    I appreciate you insulting my riding skill, but the tree is still stupid. Its about the angle it crosses and those roots sticking up. If you dont turn enough, but rather try to just hop it, you end up in those roots. If you do turn enough but dont clear it, the angle causes you to slide down the log because of how it crosses against the grain in the turn, and again into pedal catching roots. You seem to think there is no way someone could have a different opinion of that turn, it must be a riding skill thing. I said it was stupid, not hard. It's a buzz killing, injury hazard, at the bottom of the last good descent of your lap, against the grain in a turn. I call that stupid. You could knock those roots off, leave the tree, and we would both be happy, but instead lets insult each other!

If you cant give feedback without being insulted, dont expect real feedback or a real community here. My other feedback for Cane, was instantly dismissed with "think of the kids" BS, now its the opposite and feedback is dismissed simply because you think I must not be a good enough rider.
    Come on now! Let's not be too sensitive. You posted that a tree crossing the trail was too hard - on a mountain bike forum! What did you expect? Flowers and Teddy Bears? You didn't exactly say it was too hard, but it's not a stretch to infer it from what you wrote. Nevertheless - there are a lot of elements like that in all our local trails. Flowslowers. Buzzkills. Trail Impedances. Toilet Cloggers. We have dozens of turns with trees in the Apex - we have tons of things that could be better.

I also didn't intend to sound like you didn't have skill. Just meant, once you master that tree, it won't get you so riled up. I can tell you it's a technique thing - timing, attack etc. If we had trails that "everyone" could ride, we'd have a dirt greenway. If you look at that tree, as I know you have, it's not a run of the mill hardwood that happened to fall and no one had a chainsaw around. It's an old cedar with a lot of character. The guys that laid out that portion of the trail put in there on purpose, and would not cut out a tree with that much character. Agree or disagree - that is why it's there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
    I know I and others who help build the trails appreciate any feedback. Unfortunately many threads on this forum have devolved into an insult fest in many cases and many questions or thoughts are dismissed and belittled.
    Like anyone who says the flow and landings at PWP could be improved...

Thanks
    Uzzi - did you see the response to my previous feedback? It was the equivalent of flowers and teddy bears. It was actually "think of the kids". And like you admit, on the tree in question here, I never said it was hard, but stupid. I wasnt riled up, till my calm, rational, thoroughly laid out point (including a pic) was dismissed as a skill issue. The very first time I gave feedback on these forums, which was ALL positive, I was hit with "This is your one and only warning. Keep the subject about the trail and it's conditions. You want to try and be funny, which you clearly aren't, take it somewhere else." WTF! No idea what got his panties(utarch) in a wad but this place comes off as an insiders club, run by control freaks who only pretend to want feedback. You guys have run off another new member, I will go back to lurking and just check in to get trail condition updates on trails that are further from my home.

And show me another tree that is at the point of change from descent to climb, apex of corner, where excess speed pushes into upwards pointed roots. There isnt another, because its stupid. If you had done more thinking and reading, you might realize my beef was with the roots and that not a tree is across the trail. You act like this a perfected 5 year old trail and not a 3-4 week old trail still being broke in.
    Last edited by bradybunch12; 09-16-2014 at 01:33 PM.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to bradybunch12 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Hey Tim, I have ridden all of PWP except the Hop, humdinger, and black diamond on my single speed with 32x14 gearing and 38mm slicks. No, I don't have to walk the climbs. Only place I have trouble is on Hookman in one tight turn. Try it sometime, you will hate life. Ha ha ha LMAO
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Hey Tim, I have ridden all of PWP except the Hop, humdinger, and black diamond on my single speed with 32x14 gearing and 38mm slicks. No, I don't have to walk the climbs. Only place I have trouble is on Hookman in one tight turn. Try it sometime, you will hate life. Ha ha ha LMAO
    32x14 gearing? Are you carping on me? Great mother of Spock, you're the freakin' man. 32x18 is all I want out there.

Thanks
    I rode the ridge late yesterday...trail is good. Some of the corners are starting to get a bit soft/loamy. I almost lost my front tire a few times. Dropped the psi a bit to compensate, which helped.

I'm still really confused over the concern about that downed tree with the roots sticking up...it's not at a bad spot, i definitely hit it at full speed with no worries. It's not really an apex, its more of a gentle 15-20 degree bend and there's plenty of room on both sides to pick a decent line. The downed cedar is the only real tricky obstacle out there, granted when it gets crank bashed enough it will be easy for all.
    Last edited by chasethis; 09-17-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    Do It Better

Thanks
    Uzzi - did you see the response to my previous feedback? It was the equivalent of flowers and teddy bears. It was actually "think of the kids". And like you admit, on the tree in question here, I never said it was hard, but stupid. I wasnt riled up, till my calm, rational, thoroughly laid out point (including a pic) was dismissed as a skill issue. The very first time I gave feedback on these forums, which was ALL positive, I was hit with "This is your one and only warning. Keep the subject about the trail and it's conditions. You want to try and be funny, which you clearly aren't, take it somewhere else." WTF! No idea what got his panties(utarch) in a wad but this place comes off as an insiders club, run by control freaks who only pretend to want feedback. You guys have run off another new member, I will go back to lurking and just check in to get trail condition updates on trails that are further from my home.

And show me another tree that is at the point of change from descent to climb, apex of corner, where excess speed pushes into upwards pointed roots. There isnt another, because its stupid. If you had done more thinking and reading, you might realize my beef was with the roots and that not a tree is across the trail. You act like this a perfected 5 year old trail and not a 3-4 week old trail still being broke in.
    I can't speak to how admin's moderate this board, I've mod'd a board and it's hard to not delete posts you don't like. Especially when you are the one getting blown up! They say that to me all the time on trail condition threads - so don't let it bother you. And I wouldn't judge something as not funny just because Chris (utarch) doesn't think it is. That is probably a good indicator that it is hilarious!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts
    It's not that I didn't think I was funny, the post that were deleted and commented about were not on topic with the subject of the thread. Things like trail condition threads with things that have nothing to do with trail conditions. I don't care what you guys talk about, just as long as it is in the correct place.

19. The following user says "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks

Re: Cane Ridge Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Quote Originally Posted by utarch00 View Post
    It's not that I didn't think I was funny, the post that were deleted and commented about were not on topic with the subject of the thread. Things like trail condition threads with things that have nothing to do with trail conditions. I don't care what you guys talk about, just as long as it is in the correct place.
    Don't be mad, bro. I still think you're funny.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    What a bunch of ladies.
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

22. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Getting a little too dry....... A "little" rain would be nice.

Thanks
    Got a ride in yesterday. Things are looking good. The new trail is much more solid (well packed) than it was, but still a little green. Just needs more traffic.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calwilliams63 View Post
    Getting a little too dry......
    The trail or the humor in this thread?
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

26. The following user says "Thank You" to Bikebrainmaniac for this useful post:

Thanks

28. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks

Cane Ridge Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Hey guys I just got word that a friend of mine had his truck broke into. Everything but his roll of cash was stollen.

Thanks
    Hahaha..... Both! Lol

Thanks
    Rode the trails today to finally get to ride the new section. The vast majority of the trails are dry. One puddle on the first section in one of the dips. The moss on the new loop is also spongy. Riding everything once I tallied almost 5 miles but not sure on the accuracy of my bike computer.

On a side note: There are random pieces of red flagging appearing on the new section of the trails and appear to be marking some kind of walking cut thru route or something. We removed some shortly before the new section opened and I removed more today. If you see this flagging or any other colored flagging (might be some old pink flagging left behind) on the opened trails please remove it and throw it in the trash. Not sure who is doing it and what it is for but it is not part of the trails. If you happen to run into someone putting up flagging please let Metro Parks/Sorba know.

All of the trails are bicycles only so if you see walkers, hikers, mopeds, etc... on the trails kindly inform them this is a bicycle only trail.
    -Austin

32. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trails are very fast right now, the only issue is its getting leafy, but they're dry. Grip it and Rip it!
    Do It Better

Thanks
    First time on the new section today. It's a blast. Just wish it were closer.

Thanks
    Does this park close or is it ok to night ride here (when it re-opens from the rain)?

Thanks
    Park is open from dawn to 11pm every day. So you can ride until then. I would highly recommend riding with a group after dark not only is it more fun but you never know what goes on out there at night.
    -Austin

Thanks
    Anyone think or know whether Cane Ridge will be ridable tomorrow?

Thanks
    Rode today and it was still a little slick so I pretty much just did some trail clean up and picked up branches the whole time.

Thanks
    I rode out today and it was great both loops are dry

40. The following user says "Thank You" to rodney humes for this useful post:

Thanks
    I kind of forgot about this trail, rode it for the first time since it was 2 miles, I thought the trail was a blast and want to thank everyone who had a hand in building it.

42. The following user says "Thank You" to nomotor for this useful post:

Thanks
    Drove by since I was in the neighborhood. There were too Many perverts so I didn't stop. Effin' b@5turds. Shame....

Thanks
    Whenever I'm there and there seems to be a cornucopia of perverts. I call Metro Park Police and let them know that some suspicious activity is happening. Not going to let them take over our trail.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

45. The following user says "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    The trail is pretty close to perfect right now. There were a couple of soft corners but they were still fairly tacky; overall the trail was perfectly dry. Go ride!
    Do It Better

47. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to chasethis for this useful post:

Thanks
    Rode today and trail is in good condition. I rode both loops and there are definitely some wet spots but nothing too bad. Probably the worst spot was the mossy section near the end of the new loop. I enjoyed this new surprise, http://i.imgur.com/foShpAC.jpg . Its like a pyramid or a lean to. It made me a little nervous that I was going to knock it down on my own head, but not nervous enough to slow down lol !

49. The following user says "Thank You" to bradybunch12 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Trail was great this afternoon. Get ya some before it rains again.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Anyone been by the trail today? I am hoping to ride tomorrow or possibly Thur. It should be dry enough by then, right?

Thanks
    I don't know about dry, but it will be frozen, and that's just as good. Just be aware if you ride when it's frozen that places the sun shines on the trail may be soft or slick, no matter how cold it gets.

Thanks
    I have complained before that sorba was slow to update their info, but they updated 2 hours ago and most trails are now open. Looks like I will be battling the cold tomorrow! http://sorbamidtn.org/

Thanks
    I rode CR this evening with a -5 degree windchill. Even though it was bone chilling cold the a$$ jockeys were still out in full force. I guess they like butt secks as much as I like mountain biking.

55. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to TM. for this useful post:

Thanks
    Fanny Lancing can happen in any type of weather apparently.

Thanks
    Rode yesterday. When I got there around 1 PM there was only 2 vehicles backed into parking spaces there. On a Sunday...They left shortly after I got there. When I finished, it was busy with bikers and families. Much better...

Condition wise, the 1st loop is in much better shape than the 2nd loop. I would have avoided the 2nd loop all together had I known the condition. I walked many muddy sections of the 2nd loop that had bad rutting going on.
    2014 Niner RIP 9 - Licorice Black
    2011 Niner Jet 9 - Glow in the dark Raw
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 30

58. The following user says "Thank You" to Lenchito for this useful post:

Thanks
    I was out there last night ~Temp was around 40 degrees ~ Phase 1 loop was mostly alright, there was one section at the beginning with a wee little bit of mud but it was only a 10 ft slick spot. Phase 2 was a effed - I made it about 1/4 mile in and hit some very thick tacky mud, decided to walk past and scope out the trail a little further down and made it maybe another 1/4 mile before hitting a long stretch of tacky loose mud- so I turned around and headed back.

This was also my third night ride out there and still no sign of any creepers yet.
    Do It Better

60. The following user says "Thank You" to chasethis for this useful post:

Thanks
    I rode the entire trail today, lots of fun. It was muddy in spots, to the point I almost thought damage was being done to parts of the new loop. I walked many sections. It's not outrageous, but the second loop was pretty muddy.

Thanks
    As of noon yesterday, Phase 1 was completely solid, Phase 2 was mostly solid except for a few squishy spots, with one exception being a long 30 ft stretch of really bad mud towards the end of the loop. Its within 1/4 mile of the "rock garden"/sideways tree over.

A huge thanks to whoever put sticks/logs in all the muddy dips! It dumbs down the trail a bit but the advantage is huge as these were where mud lingers for days!
    Do It Better

63. The following user says "Thank You" to chasethis for this useful post:

Thanks
    When will this trail be rideable? Any ideas? With the time change I am planning to drop by for a few laps after work as soon as possible!!

Thanks!
    yobryan
    2000 Klein Mantra Comp
    2007 Trek Madone 5.2 SL

Thanks
    I checked out the trail today and it was way to muddy. I turned back after just a few hundred feet. I did see someone loading up a couple of very muddy bikes, the man told me they did a complete lap. IMO this place is going to need more time to dry out.

66. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to bradybunch12 for this useful post:

Thanks
    The rain on Thursday changes everything but, I rode phase 2 on Wednesday and it was very muddy. The front part of phase 1 is by far the muddiest I have seen, causing me to give up on Tuesday's ride. But on phase 2, even with walking multiple sections, it was muddy. It looked like despite the mud, the place has seen plenty of traffic. Phase 2 also has a large tree down across the trail. Phase 2 has also seen the installation of an awesome ramp!

Pics

mud ruts
    http://i.imgur.com/Lqmfe9V.jpg & http://i.imgur.com/mu4ze1P.jpg

tree
    http://i.imgur.com/Eku84tL.jpg

Ramp!
    http://i.imgur.com/ZCKMp5z.jpg & http://i.imgur.com/2kH3sol.jpg

Test

68. The following user says "Thank You" to bradybunch12 for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have been dieing to get out for a ride before the rain moves in. So I rode part of the trail today for the first time. There are a few wet spots where water runs off. I guess I got to running a little fast and hit some dry leaves in a curve that sent me flying! I hit my ribs on a tree stump that knocked the wind out of me pretty good. Definitely felt good enough to remember that for a while.

I am looking forward to going back again and checking out the rest of the trail after my ribs heal (lol). I noticed I need to get to know the trail since you can get moving so fast and then have a sharp turn or some other obstacle.

Thread Information