Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cane Ridge Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    anybody know what kind of conditions to expect at cane ridge tomorrow?
    2012 Tallboy AL
    2012 Felt 55x
    2015 Ridley Orion

Thanks
    Cane Ridge should not be ridden...it's a complete mess out there. Long mud fields, bad rutting and just overall not ride-able. I was there yesterday evening and with the low temps last night it's not going to get any better today. Cane Ridge needs a while before it will be dry enough to ride without damaging
    Do It Better

3. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to chasethis for this useful post:

Thanks
    This trail needs some love and not the kind that normally goes on there.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

5. The following user says "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    I rode it today and I completely agree, this trail desperately needs some love. (Phase 2, middle? of lap)There is a v shaped mud pit just past another v type pit that has long since featured a rock bridge and the bottom of the pit to smooth it. This newish 2nd v mud pit brought me to a rough stop, but not over the handlebars or anything. Granted I am not the best jumper or hopper on my bike, but that thing was a very unpleasant surprise with the speed I was carrying.
    2015 Motobecane Fantom 29”

7. The following user says "Thank You" to bradybunch12 for this useful post:

Thanks
    The majority of the trail is mud-free but certainly not all of it. All of the dips in the trail are muddy as well as some patches of mud on level ground. Its rideable, but i had to get off and walk around some mud somewhat frequently. Cane Ridge needs some love

Thanks
    i rode it today and it was almost perfect, 99.5%! smokin fast. It looked like the SORBA trail machine had been out there smoothing things out. Big thanks to who ever has been working. got almost 11 miles over lunch, so blessed to have a trail this close to work.
    Niner EMD
    S-Works Tri-Cross

Thanks
    Trail was in fine shape this afternoon; just a bit slick, wet roots, etc... There were a handful of small puddles, but it wasn't muddy.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to Johnny V for this useful post:

Thanks
    A little sloppy in the typical spots, but can be ridden without damage. The areas that have progressively gotten to where they are "damaged" would be a perfect example of when and why the trail shouldn't be ridden when overly wet. It looks like two or three runoff crossings will need to have a foot bridge installed as they've gotten to a bottom out scenario that will pretty much hold water or mud most of the damp or humid season. This trail attracts a lot of families and that's a great thing, still there are lurkers that hang out there on any given day and often in broad daylight, like yesterday at 3pm on a Saturday with a park full of softball players. I'm generally nice to those who want to come out and hike during the off hours, but this trail also attracts a lot of hikers. It's never been much of a problem until there is some doofus walking along the trail with a headset in that can't hear me coming up on him without tapping him on the shoulder. This practice and dogs off a leash should most definitely be discouraged, as when the trail fills in during the summer months, there are plenty of blind corners where someone could get hurt. Postings indicate the trail is for bicycle use only, but it's the riders who have to patrol this as metro doesn't have the staff to enforce any sort of non approved use.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

13. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Tdub for this useful post:

Thanks
    There are multiple, large trees down across the trail from the recent storms on phase 2.

15. The following user says "Thank You" to bradybunch12 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Had a great ride out there on Friday, as mentioned a couple of mud holes and down trees, only 1 of them was too high off the ground to have to walk over.

Saw one other biker on the trail, and 4 hikers. More sineage would be nice to keep the hikers off, I know it says bike trails at the entrance but apparently that's not enough.

Thanks
    The trail is in great shape right now! There are a couple of squishy spots but the trail is 99% perfect. Get ya some!
    Do It Better

18. The following user says "Thank You" to chasethis for this useful post:

Thanks

Thumbs up Check that, now 100%-fast and dry

Don't wait for the humidity and rain, things are about as good as they get right now, and shady cool in the trees
    Quote Originally Posted by chasethis View Post
    The trail is in great shape right now! There are a couple of squishy spots but the trail is 99% perfect. Get ya some!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Thanks

Re: Cane Ridge Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Found a pair of black giro gloves in the parking lot. I stuck them up in the info packet box beside the map.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    No rain at Cane Ridge as of right now. Rode 2 laps and not a drop. Rumbles all around, but no rain.

Mark

22. The following user says "Thank You" to QuestionMark for this useful post:

Thanks
    The SORBA site still says that the trail is closed. That site must be stuck in neutral...The trail is in excellent shape. No mud at all. I would assume all other local trails saying closed or avoid are good to go.
    2014 Niner RIP 9 - Licorice Black
    2011 Niner Jet 9 - Glow in the dark Raw
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 30

Thanks
    Went out to the trail yesterday evening. The trail is in great shape. Really fun ride! Going back out there again after work hopefully around 5pm today.
    "It's a mountain bike, weather is a non-factor."

Thanks
    CR has been holding up under the quick pop up showers really well. We did get a heavy rain for about 20 minutes here in Brentioch yesterday. Still with all the previous dry, it should be good to go this afternoon for sure.

26. The following user says "Thank You" to Tdub for this useful post:

Thanks

Cane Ridge Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Got chance to ride today, great to see a bunch of cars in the parking lot, and all of them with bike racks. Really liked the second line option on phase two, dropping into the gully.
    I used to wish I could read people's minds,
    Then I got a Facebook account,
    Now I'm over it.

Thanks
    Does anyone know the trail conditions out there? Looking to ride tomorrow AM.

Thanks
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the terrain potential of the proposed 3rd phase? I feel like the 1st phase makes pretty good use of the limited elevation. Just wondering if the land set out for the 3rd phase has real potential, or if it's more the "make the best with what you've got" variety.

Thanks
    Back in the area so I will spend some SORBA volunteer hours at CR!
    With all the dryness recently I need some input as to what needs fixing out there. Heard about some wet spots but I won't be able to find them until we get some rain. I will look for the obvious holes etc.

As for phase three. We will most likely finish off phase two first. Does phase three have the elevation for a flow downhill like Wabash at PW? Not really. SORBA mid TN is discussing options and I believe we last left it as yes we will take full advantage of any elevation there and go for max flow.

Keep the input coming!
    Trax
    IMBA-SORBA Mid-TN Member

31. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to singletrax for this useful post:

Thanks
    It's bone dry out there. There is just one spot of water on phase 1. It would be nice to rock armor this spot and open up the drain.

Then there is one particularly bad front-wheel-sucking dip that is really too deep to ride safely. Assuming the direction that I ride is "normal", this dip is not far after the first rotten log up-and-over on Phase 2. I think it needs a short bridge or a culvert pipe with fill over top. It don't see any other good way to fix it. Its only maybe 12 to 20 inches wide and maybe 12 inches deep. It really grabs the front wheel and can cause some bad wrecks.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BanjoBob View Post

Then there is one particularly bad front-wheel-sucking dip that is really too deep to ride safely. Assuming the direction that I ride is "normal", this dip is not far after the first rotten log up-and-over on Phase 2. I think it needs a short bridge or a culvert pipe with fill over top. It don't see any other good way to fix it. Its only maybe 12 to 20 inches wide and maybe 12 inches deep. It really grabs the front wheel and can cause some bad wrecks.

Thanks
    I know exactly which spot you are referring to. I completely agree something needs to be done about it. I was out there yesterday and almost went over the bars because my front wheel and shock just got sucked into this spot. Not sure what to do about it as I don't have any expertise in trail building, but willing to help if someone has ideas and a day they want to go fix it.
    "It's a mountain bike, weather is a non-factor."

Thanks
    I will take a look this weekend and see what can be done. Rather do armoring than bridges for a more sustainable option.
    IMBA-SORBA Mid-TN Member

35. The following user says "Thank You" to singletrax for this useful post:

Thanks
    The trails are in great shape, and thanks to the trail crew out there today!

37. The following user says "Thank You" to Kylevee for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trail conditions are great. It was very popular today, nearly full parking lot. Unfortunately passed multiple groups of hikers and one group walking a dog. But none the less, I was flying around the trail today. Oh, is this trail a one way trail? Is the reverse loop illegal? frowned upon? ok, just yield to oncoming?

39. The following user says "Thank You" to bradybunch12 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradybunch12 View Post
    Oh, is this trail a one way trail? Is the reverse loop illegal? frowned upon? ok, just yield to oncoming?
    As far as I can remember no direction has been set for either loop. I know there was talk of setting a direction and alternating days to reverse it but nothing set in stone for that. Just be careful since you can fly around and a lot of those sections have some short sight distances in the corners.

Yielding is always to bikes that are climbing. Beyond that just use your judgement.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks
    Did a couple laps today trail is in good shape.

42. The following user says "Thank You" to nomotor for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Did two fast laps today - trail was in awesome shape. Any idea when the rest will be built? Is it flagged and just waiting for someone to get some work days planned? I'm game to help out.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

44. The following user says "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Pretty much everything SORBA is working on is on hold until Bell's Bend is done. Better turnouts for workdays there will get everything else worked on faster.

46. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trail was in very good condition Saturday around 3pm. We haven't had too much rain in the area and it may be ridden and not too sloppy particularly early in the day while still frozen (today and tomorrow). Soft spots/corners, but no standing water.

48. The following user says "Thank You" to Tdub for this useful post:

Thanks
    Muddy but ride-able today. Tree down on 2nd loop. People were treating the place like a dog park today. 4 of 5 people I crossed paths with were hikers with dogs, not yielding at all because of the dogs and muddy terrain. Its pretty clear at trailhead that the trail is only for mountain bikes. Maybe I am just a grumpy old man.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    No one thinks the rules apply to them. Sad but very true.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Good trail conditions, but the couple of wet spots are getting worse and deeper. A couple of bridges should solve the problems.

Thanks
    Big crowd on this sunny Sunday! Trail is in great shape, drying out nicely with just a few spots still muddy. The elevated tree across the trail on phase 2 is a bit much for me. I don't know if that is designed or just storm damage.

Thanks
    Trail was in great shape this afternoon, despite the drizzle. I was sad to see that the first big set logs has been removed. It was on the first half of phase 2, a big speed bump style set of logs, now clear and level. Not the end of the world but I always looked forward to that one, it was the first thing on phase 2 to try challenge you with no way around it.

Thread Information