Thread: Leaves on Trails

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts

Leaves on Trails

Time for a leaf discussion. I have seen were cleared trails have major problems with freeze/thaw and leaf covered trails are better w/ the freeze thaw conditions.

According to recent posts, Defeated and Shutes have both been cleared of leaves in places. This is great for now, plus it removes small sticks and other debris. We had an awesome ride at Shutes the other day, partially due to the clear trail on the Hillside.

This is a great time to see if it really does impact riding conditions - especially when we get cold nights and warm days. This weekend will be the first when we hit 25 degrees and 45 to 55 for highs. We only got about 0.05 to 0.10 in of rain last night.

Because it's early in the season, it might not freeze on the surface, but if it does, the clay will be super slick. It probably only takes about 1 mm freeze depth to slicken the surface. I have ridden at both trails when the surface thawed, and it is a mess. But this will likely be later in the season.
    One other point about trails that are blown off in the winter is that rain does not have leaves to slow the drops, both in the trees and on the ground. Because there is a stronger impact, the erosion on bare dirt trails is a little higher.

But, I must also add that it is great that some one actually took the time to work on the trails. I wish that all trails would get blown off in the spring.

Well, off to slumber land, let's dream of awesome rides, and free bikes for everyone. :-)

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

2. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Just for discussion's sake... Relative to Lock 4 only... Experiential observation...
    Poor-conditions (narcissistic) riders are going to ride, whether the trail is shut down, ribboned off, gated, etc. (I'm OK with that, if one will repair the mess one makes. 99+% will not.) Very frustrating, particularly for the time it took for the trail to dry, due to ruts formed and the holding of water. Last winter I got tired of being pissed (pardoned my french) and decided to do something about it, namely, draining the numerous low, flat corners. I found that these corners had a thick accumulation of organic debris packed into them that continued to hold water in spite of the drain cuts. So, I removed the debris. I found that in a lot of cases the areas dried rather quickly. I felt I was on to something. A handful of buddies and I somewhat systematically started removing debris and draining the most troublesome areas. Some areas were impossible to drain. The Bikers Choice team bridged the worst of them. Friends and I, bridged others, bringing us into this summer. In the mean time, I/we de-debrised many other mucky areas. The result has been, following precipitation, the trail-bed has been hard and drying, or dry, in short order, minimizing trenching. In the past year, Lock 4 has been "good to ride" like none other in the six years that I have been riding. As to freeze/thaw, I can understand the insulative value of leaf-cover. Inevitably, in sustained sub-freezing temps, the soil will heave under the cover, thaw, have the cover mashed into the wet soil, and start the holding cycle again. My observation has been that the recovery time and long-term damage has been minimized by the removal of organics in and draining of the low/water-holding areas.

Gary

4. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Good points Gary. With good conditions, bare soil is better. It definitely rides better without leaves.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 491 Posts
    yes, good observations and work for sure. be sure and notch out a de-burming section by more than 24" so it does not come back in the very next rain. organic debris should still offer water to run under/over as long as there are a few degrees of sloped tread. I vote for leaf removal after watching the practice and results for trails throughout the region if major soil degredation is not an issue like at Long Hunter or Hamilton Creek.

Thanks

Leaves on Trails

I can tell you from years of experience that leaf removal is a short term solution and that will ruin a trail in the long term. You need to just let them fall ride them in and let them be it has happened this way for years and is best for the trail overall. They removed the leaves at LBL a few years ago and them freeze/thaw hit and the trail turned to mush and it was unrideable until mid spring. Same for Mont. Bell some removed the leaves one winter and freeze/thaw hit and it became mush and people kept riding and dug bad ruts and trail erosion was at a maximum and the trail was closed for more than a month. It may be annoying for a couple of weeks until they get ridden in but get over it and learn how to slow down a bit this time of year and work on handling your bike. I don't care what trail it is around here it will be bad for said trail in the long term and I can't think of a worse trail to do it to than Hamilton creek but I rarely ride there so you can screw it up if you want. If someone were to do this at Mont. Bell I would take the time to push them all back where they go. This isn't just an opinion it comes with more than 15 years experience and seeing the effects first hand. I took a group of 15 guys out to Mont. Bell yesterday and we rode every trail out there crunching leaves. This month is the worse and the last two weeks especially when they are all failing but most are off the trees at this point and in a couple of weeks of good riding will be completely smashed and giving good grip again. Just get off this I got to have it now culture we are in right now and think about what you are doing might have consequences in the future.

Ok I'm off my soap box I just couldn't stand where this thread was going.
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

8. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Specialized_Michael for this useful post:

Thanks

Leaves on Trails

I'm also not saying Gary is wrong in removing small low areas for drains and such and even removing some in corners that may be bad. I'm talking full scale full trail removal that is just irresponsible. If you take a look at the Mont. Bell race loop right now it is perfection. The same leaves have been falling on it as the other parts of the trail that have deep leaf cover difference is a ton of people have been riding it and crushing them all down. I'm also not saying we need 4-6" of leaves or anything protecting the trail and a small removal say early in November then letting a thinner layer fall afterwards would be ok. However right now if you take it down to dirt after most have fallen you will have a trail of mush in a few weeks that will last till March/April. I would also say you should ask a trail owner/builder/maintainer before doing this leaf removal that you think will be good for the trail. I know some might not care but some will I know the rangers at both LBL and Mont. Bell never want to see what happened to those trails happen to them again.
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

10. The following user says "Thank You" to Specialized_Michael for this useful post:

Thanks
    Regarding Hammy, during freeze/thaw the leaves seam to form a protective barrier IMHO. I've been on rides there during freeze/thaw and the sections with leaves packed on the trail were completely ridable. Then I would hit a section that had been blown off and I had to bail on the ride because of the thin layer of tacky mud.
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

12. The following user says "Thank You" to Bikebrainmaniac for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts

Thanks
    Isn't the whole point of MTN biking to deal with what the trail gives you and above all else protect the trail for future use. If we didn't enjoy the ever changing conditions we would all be road cyclist.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

15. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    Isn't the whole point of MTN biking to deal with what the trail gives you and above all else protect the trail for future use. If we didn't enjoy the ever changing conditions we would all be road cyclist.
    +1
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    The main purpose for leaving the leaves on the trails in the fall/winter is so that they wick up water and keep it on the surface but this only works to a point (i.e. leaves are soaked). The idea is to try to keep the top layer of the trail as dry as possible so when the freeze does come it does not cause the soil to heave due to the expansion of the water. Same effect as a wall being pushed over if there is not proper drainage behind it, only with the trails it is upward. Allowing the leaves to soak up the water keeps the water on the very top of the soil allowing it to dry quicker which is most important during freeze/thaw cycles when there is little sun and even less heat. Some damage is expected from freezing in the winter especially if it rains/snows, then melts, then quickly freezes again but there is not much that can be done in this case. As a general rule it is better to keep the leaves on the trail as much as possible during the fall/winter.

All that being said there are cases for corners, low spots were water accumulates, top layers of soil with organics (black soil), etc... but on the whole I would not remove any more leaf cover than necessary to help with the long-term health of the trail tread. Yes you can't go as fast as in the spring/summer when the trails are all exposed and sweet but at least the trails are ridable sooner in the spring and will last longer. I do buff corners and some sections of yellow/green for the races out at MB but I do so with the knowledge that all my work will be covered over in about 2 weeks or sooner just from all the mature trees. But that is specific to MB and the forest's age.

On a side note Gary and others have done a sweet job of keeping lock 4 ridable more often after a rain than in years past. In the past you would have to wait a week in some cases for the trails to dry out after a good rain. Kudos to them up there.
    Last edited by AustinB; 11-27-2012 at 01:20 AM.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

18. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    We can all wear leaf wick socks.

Thanks
    To leave or not to leave, that is the question.

21. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Leave the leaves! Especially at Hammy. It does protect the trail in the winter.

Some other thoughts - we all know people will ride the trail when it's wet. All the more reason to deal with the reality and build/fortify problem areas. Since I've been apart of the MTB community here for about 10 years, the same discussions - leaves the leaves? - why are their so many mud riders? - why doesn't Robert use Facebook - what do Dr. Toy's posts REALLY mean?..does Darryl ever really ride his bike?

Thanks
    I'm ready to leave.After so long here it seems it's time to let it go.

24. The following user says "Thank You" to cdpmtoy for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Split consensus?

Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 503 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Since I've been apart of the MTB community here for about 10 years, the same discussions - leaves the leaves? - why are their so many mud riders? - why doesn't Robert use Facebook - what do Dr. Toy's posts REALLY mean?..does Darryl ever really ride his bike?
    The perplexing question I think we have all been pondering: When will Uzzi finally see the light and get a 29er?
    TIM

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!" --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco-Tim View Post
    The perplexing question I think we have all been pondering: When will Uzzi finally see the light and get a 29er?
    +1

Thanks
    I'm all for making a huge pile of leaves after the photo-op drop at hammy to make the crashes hurt less. 8)
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    I can say from having a little experience with Hammy that removing the leaves is the way to go. She just doesn't drain well and leaving the leaves keeps the tread moist which allows tire impressions that aren't noticed when riding over the leaves. They also plug up any runoff spots and help hold water in those areas. Not to mention wet leaves on an unexposed rock is not a good thing and there are a few of those out there. She dries out so much faster when exposed to sun and wind. As far as freeze/thaw I can see the possibility of an insulating benefit, but without seeing under the leaves you never really know. We do know it doesn't completely eliminate it. With the leaves gone its much easier to see the trail condition rather than just using your best guess. Unfortunately I've been too busy this fall or the leaves would already be gone.

30. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to SOFA KING for this useful post:

Thanks
    As for perplexing questions - 29rs are for people with no bike handling skills and single speeds are for people with no sense of humor.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    As for perplexing questions - 29rs are for people with no bike handling skills and single speeds are for people with no sense of humor.
    That must be why, most all the pros, are riding 29ers.

Thanks
    Just kidding guys. I'm planning on turning my 5 inch "Race Bike" into a hard tail 29r next year. I do love stirring the crap once in a while and making fun of 29rs and single speeds is just too easy!

Thanks
    Experiment results after two years are in. I Left the leaves at my place this year and I am impressed how well the trail held up and how much immune it was to rain and freeze/thaw conditions. The tread remained good throughout the entire winter and the trail was rideable almost all the time even after a day of good rain. Comparing that to last year's even milder winter when I blew the leaves off, I can say that leaves must stay going forward, at least at my place. The only downside to the leaves staying is the time they take to be crushed and regaining familiarity with the trail line but I can absolutely live with that if I can ride more year round. I am not going to get into the soil type science since I know nothing about it. I know I might have stated the obvious so I will stop here and get back to enjoying the raging mud debate which by the way is not accomplishing anything on this forum and interface since the audience for it is not present here. I think most of us here know when and when not to ride but I might be wrong.
    George
    ---------------------

35. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to gszman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    I have been a supporter of leaves staying on established trails that have the lines all packed in and well defined. Leaving them on new trails pose problems with people cutting off corners or riding off of the trail tread because the trails are too wide when they are new. Several places like that at Cane Ridge when it was being built. Same thing happened out at PW this past fall before it was cleared. This upcoming fall we will let the leaves remain though at very busy trails they dont remain long due to usage.

Thanks for your information gszman.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

37. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yes!
    I think I'll get tee shirts made up with"SAVE THE LEAVES"

And when are we going to get 36" wheels.
    ERIC
    A Shutes Branch Maintainer

Cannondale Trigger 29er 3

VOODOO Dambala 29" Ridged SS

Vintage MASI SS

Soma San Marcos, with vary nice shiny bits. My favorite ride!

Panasonic Tourist 3 speed cruiser (Way cool)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,107 Posts
    I agree that keeping leaves seems to help the trails dry faster. But I do respect Austin's input about CR and PW. I can't wait until those trails are burned in more. Riding pw this spring/summer is going to rock! I'll do my part to pack it in.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

Thread Information