Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something I've noticed....

JCoop is offline Wait, what are we talking about again?
    Thanks

Something I've noticed....

So I check this website pretty much daily and I have noticed a growing trend as of late....There isn't much going on in this forum now. What gives? Where did everyone go!? I've been relegated to looking at mtbr.com for my casual reading of mountain biking. Let me just say there are a lot of douche bags on that forum. So help me out and lets get this website back to a happening spot!

Group rides. Bikes. More trail updates. Bikes. Workdays. Bikes. Fun things to talk about. Bikes!

Does anyone else feel the same way?
    Niner Jet 9 RDO

2. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to JCoop for this useful post:

Thanks
    I've noticed this forum getting quiet the past few months (if not longer) as well.

Slow-Motion

Thanks
    Overall, it seems quieter over the last year or so, but especially now that it is winter.
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    2006 Nissan Frontier

Thanks

Slow-Motion

Thanks
    I agree.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon Pro 29
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    I have been on this site since the beginning - it is always "slow" in the winter and always picks up when the weather breaks. THe site also lacks an engaged group of users - back in the early days there was a group of about 20 that posted a ton making the site a great place to stop in and read even as an outsider. Most of these folks have moved on (with Kids, and work commitments) the site needs fresh young energetic friends... not only did we all talk on this board but at one time we where doing multiple rides a week with each other. I never needed to worry about a ride partner this place always had one..

Just my 2 cents - you young ones need to bring the excitement back!

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

8. The following 10 users say "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts
    Facebook is killing the site also. I see lots of my cycling friends post cyling content on Facebook, but not here- (like Jcoop's new frame). I am guilty also. Facebook is much easier to post to on the move, then a message board. We just need some subject starters to get the ball rolling.

10. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post
    I have been on this site since the beginning - it is always "slow" in the winter and always picks up when the weather breaks. THe site also lacks an engaged group of users - back in the early days there was a group of about 20 that posted a ton making the site a great place to stop in and read even as an outsider. Most of these folks have moved on (with Kids, and work commitments) the site needs fresh young energetic friends... not only did we all talk on this board but at one time we where doing multiple rides a week with each other. I never needed to worry about a ride partner this place always had one..

Just my 2 cents - you young ones need to bring the excitement back!
    Like Chris said, in the beginning there was a pretty close knit group of us that were constantly interacting on here, riding together, etc. I miss those days quite honestly, and miss not being able to ride as often. For me, two kids under age 4 and a more demanding job, mountain biking generally takes a back seat. Its not as high on the priority list now, but I still try to get out at least once a week when time/conditions permit.

Any of you all that know me still lurk here? I would like to get some rides going once the weather gets better.

12. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Ron Mexico for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    My observation, too, just in the 6 yrs. I've been around. In addition to the above mentioned reasons, it seems a lot of the regular guys have gotten more into roading and gravel-grinding . Then there's guys that go all over God's green Earth to work and drink beer...

By the way, a small group of us are meeting at Sewanee in the morning at 9:00.

Nice to know you're still around, Curtis! Been a while.

Thank goodness Schpytzyo is still hanging in! If my wife wins the lottery, that's where I'm heading.
    Last edited by homer; 01-18-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Thunk of something else.

Gary

14. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    If I win the lottery I am heading to North Georgia. I don't use Facebook and probably miss some rides with people I used to ride with. Oh well. I will never ever understand Facebook but that is me. I like this sight and use it daily just to see what's going on. Nothing is fit to ride right now other than the pavement and gravel which is fine with me. I like all kinds of riding but have ridden a lot of pavement this winter and taken some Sunday trips to some nice trails.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    I was noticing that too. But, it's crappy out there. Time for stupid video posts :o) (and sarcastic mud rider posts ;-)

Personally, its a great time to hone the guitar skills and work on trails - when there's daylight.

Steve

PS - good hearing from Curtis. I was wondering about you. Where's Reedly???
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    I'll have to say I'm guilty for not posting much because I'm a fairly new rider and don't know many people on this site. I usually check in to see if there are any fun posts going on here even if its something stupid. Facebook is not much my thing either but I can attest that it is THE way my wife's run club gets the word out. Thier club has exploded from 4 members to over 100 in 2 years mostly because of how active the members are on Facebook and regular runs twice a week. I wish there were more posts about group rides as well as more regular rides each week.

18. The following user says "Thank You" to Bearcat for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    If I win the lottery I am heading to North Georgia. I don't use Facebook and probably miss some rides with people I used to ride with. Oh well. I will never ever understand Facebook but that is me. I like this sight and use it daily just to see what's going on. Nothing is fit to ride right now other than the pavement and gravel which is fine with me. I like all kinds of riding but have ridden a lot of pavement this winter and taken some Sunda y trips to some nice trails.
    Well spoken my friend! I don't use Facebook or twitter either. That's why god gave me a bike and mouth. Guess I'm old school, cause I don't use Walmart either. But however, I'm in great shape, and I can breath well!. I support anything local, and love this site! Someone always has an answer to my questions. Thanks guys!

Mod
    Thanks
    Curtis it has been a long time and I agree with you on the kid piece, but at our kids ages this is the time we bond cause lord knows in ten years they will not want us around!

And count me in for a catch up ride I will bring the beer!

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

21. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Guys this is all my fault. I haven't been on here stirring the crap and frankly this site has gotten a little tame. It's no fun without Reed around to try to keep me from offending 29rs, single speeds, roadies, leg shavers, grape smugglers, people form Chattanooga..etc. There are not enough people that post that I know well enough to make fun of without feeling like they will cry and take it personal.

Then all you punks went and procreated! Between Facebook and the mating cycles of the members of this forum the posts and rides have greatly diminished. We must also remember that Reed had a lot of time on his hands and was a great ride organizer and a great member of the MTB community.

We should have an NMB reunion ride! Holstein, Greggg, Bike Brain, Lawrence, Curtis, Fat Possum, Dr. Toy, Sofa King...and so many more to mention! (Don't be offended if I didn't name you) I've made a lot of good friends on this forum and even got a job from friendships made on this board! (Thanks Holstein!)

I think I need to start a mud-riding post to get things flowing again.

23. The following 8 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Guys this is all my fault. I haven't been on here stirring the crap and frankly this site has gotten a little tame.
    I agree! The controversial posts, while a pain for moderators, do make things interesting. Remember Mechanical Animal, Joey T Rabbit and let's not forget Ron Mexico's first appearance!( http://tennesseemountainbike.com/boa...!!!&highlight= )I remember those two days trying to figure out what this new mystery member with the bad Spanish grammer was up to. Funny stuff!
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

25. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Bikebrainmaniac for this useful post:

Thanks
    Seems like things have gotten stale, we could use something exciting to fire people up... I rarely come here anymore myself, but would love to see this place liven up.

If we all just happened to show up at defeated creek one Saturday morning at the same time and had a nice easy social ride to the top and there just happened to be somebody at the bottom with a stopwatch and an impromptu Super D race just happened to break out for the ride down, and somebody just happened to have a 12 pack of Yazoo or some swiftwicks for the person that had the fastest time down, would anybody be interested in just happening to show up that day?

27. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    Seems like things have gotten stale, we could use something exciting to fire people up... I rarely come here anymore myself, but would love to see this place liven up.

If we all just happened to show up at defeated creek one Saturday morning at the same time and had a nice easy social ride to the top and there just happened to be somebody at the bottom with a stopwatch and an impromptu Super D race just happened to break out for the ride down, and somebody just happened to have a 12 pack of Yazoo or some swiftwicks for the person that had the fastest time down, would anybody be interested in just happening to show up that day?
    I like it since you would have to have a starter and finisher at the top and bottom for that to work I would favor a quickest to the top for those inclined and a break then quickest to the bottom afterwards. Either way it may be tough to keep timing consistent between both timers without using cell phones or walkie talkies or some kind of pre-determined start list. I know you don't want it to be to complicated but having starter and finisher that far apart can be problematic.

I'm all for it either way depending on the date.
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

29. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Specialized_Michael for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    First one on top would be the quickest. No need for timer. Then you'd have someone up to start the downhill.

Gary

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    that sounds fun as hell. I'm all for racing to the top as well!
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

Thanks
    I would keep time for you, cuz if I race to the top you would need a sun dial and a calender.
    Mike

Vassago Jabberwocky

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

33. The following user says "Thank You" to Skoby for this useful post:

Thanks
    I coordinated a ride like this a couple of yeas ago just on a smaller hill and we used cell phones and it was no problem. I was up at defeated creek a few weeks ago and I checked for cell service at the top and there was service, but I would also bring walkie talkies in case the cell service was no good once we got to the top. I can probably convince my wife to be the timer at the bottom.

Those that want to, could race to the top (this would be pointless for me!) and then we could split the Yazoo prize and give 11 beers to the downhill winner and 1 beer to the climbing winner! LoL!

Lets shoot for Feb 9 and if the weather doesn't cooperate, we'll just re-schedule.

35. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Yep. Facebook is the reason this site it almost dead. Is my fault. I haven't been on here much in the last year. I did want I could for NMB. I helped keep it alive a long time. But I'm only one person. I can't save the world. This site need new younger people to take control. Plus IZZU sux. Who wants to read his lame post everyday.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

37. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Jeff, I heard you got a new car. When you press the window button, the trunk opens and when you put it in drive the car backs up. It's called a "Dis-Lexus."

39. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Jeff, I heard you got a new car. When you press the window button, the trunk opens and when you put it in drive the car backs up. It's called a "Dis-Lexus."
    I heard Jeff lost his bike somewhere in the woods and now he runs all over looking for it. He's pretty dedicated at finding it as he has run quite a few miles now looking for it and even as far as Chattanooga ;).
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

41. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Specialized_Michael for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    I found it Michael. The Stan's was all dried up in the tires. And it had cobwebs all over it. I'm gonna have to ride that bike some here real soon. Probably even get it on the trail this Sunday and Monday.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

43. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks

Something I've noticed

Uzzi is allowed or even asked to make troll post and is driving away good members.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts

Re: Something I've noticed....

Cmon man really? I read that post and reread it. In the worse context possible, which would be implied because it could be taken a couple different ways, it's really harmless banter. I hope you change your mind about this site. It's pretty much driven by our newer member so I just can't get on board with the theory that Uzzi is running roughshod over new members. I hope you'll reconsider and stick around. I apologize. If you were offended.

46. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meanjoe View Post
    Cmon man really? I read that post and reread it. In the worse context possible, which would be implied because it could be taken a couple different ways, it's really harmless banter. I hope you change your mind about this site. It's pretty much driven by our newer member so I just can't get on board with the theory that Uzzi is running roughshod over new members. I hope you'll reconsider and stick around. I apologize. If you were offended.
    Really? Then why was his "Mud riding" thread closed?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by super-moto View Post
    Well, you did email us moderators to complain. So what exactly were you expecting us to do?
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

49. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Bikebrainmaniac for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikebrainmaniac View Post
    Well, you did email us moderators to complain. So what exactly were you expecting us to do?
    I did report the post, what I didn't expect was you exposing on it in a public form. Moderators should not say who or what post is reported to the public. The report post function is a private action to report a problem post. You as a mod should know what to keep private. If members know they will be exposed for reporting a post it will keep them from doing it. Will you now C&P PM's and post them for all to see? Once you open this can of worms members will wonder what other personal information may be exposed in a public manner << This is not what a moderator should do!

Thanks
    Oh, so that's why. Look, I have no idea who you are and I am sure your intitions are well-meaning. You cannot read the tone of Message board fodder. I've been on this forum a long time and the needle is sometimes given. I know most of the people who post here and I am used to it. Some of the best group rides I've had, the needle has been given many times. I remember a North to South, plus the Canal loop at LBL, one of these members kept stopping at every downed log, that was over the trail, and saying, "Robert wouldn't ride over that." For 4 plus hours I listened to this and it was funny because it was true. Still remember it to this day. I finally asked someone on another ride, why won't I just ride over them. His reply, "Because you are smart." Uzzi just likes to get stuff going but has had some good points, come out, by doing so. Just thicken thy skin and go with it. Why do you think, I ask, WWJD if the trails were muddy? To get a reply from Tim, aka Uzzi. The moderators do a good job on this board. If someone wants to mud ride then go for it. They will learn, soon enough, that is no fun, tears up a bike, and causes more crashes. I come from a different generation that had to get used to this kind of banter. It's kind of fun sometimes and means no harm. One last thought. I don't care how many signs you put up at trailheads that say no mud riding or ride with a helmet because, nowadays, people just look at that and say, that rule doesn't apply to me. So thank you to people, like Homer, Kindacreeky, Caveman Steve, and others for organizing work parties, and doing stuff on their own time that keeps these trails in good shape. I know there are others but my mind isn't what it used to be. LMAO And I hope Austin will please read this and edit any misspellings that he sees. Still the funniest reason I've ever read, for editing a post.

52. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Mod
    Thanks
    Super-Moto

I have no idea who you are - but it is hard to call out the board and say Hey Why did you close the thread .. not fair.... then type behind the keyboard that the thread just needs to be closed.

In the end multiple people asked for the thread to be locked not just you.. but if you do ask to close or lock it do not turn around point the keyboard at the board and say Hey guys why did you close the thread.. you may just get an answer to your question.

SORBAMIDTN

54. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    SuperMoto-BBM didn't expose you for reporting a post. You complained about the post publicly. I don't see where any personal info has been compromised.

56. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post
    Super-Moto

I have no idea who you are - but it is hard to call out the board and say Hey Why did you close the thread .. not fair.... then type behind the keyboard that the thread just needs to be closed.

In the end multiple people asked for the thread to be locked not just you.. but if you do ask to close or lock it do not turn around point the keyboard at the board and say Hey guys why did you close the thread.. you may just get an answer to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by meanjoe View Post
    SuperMoto-BBM didn't expose you for reporting a post. You complained about the post publicly. I don't see where any personal info has been compromised.
    Y'all can sugar coat this all you want but the fact that Bikebrainmaniac stated that I emailed moderators is a breech of etiquette and did expose that fact.

Meanjoe I never said any personal info was compromised I stated "Once you open this can of worms members will wonder what other personal information may be exposed in a public manner". I was implying that Bikebrainmaniac publically stating I emailed mods was wrong.

Paddlechris what was not fair was that you stating that multiple people asked for the thread to be locked but I got called out for it.Also you posting the meme about "Lets Behave" should not be directed at me.I am not breaking any rules, it's just the fact that I am questioning your moderation that has y'all back pedaling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanthelyon View Post
    SuperMoto;
    Sounds to me like you just need to nut up dude, any breech of etiquette you believe the mods to have shown is definitely out-weighed by your very own post #29. You got called out for being ridiculous. I'd say you should let it go at this point... your losing.
    Reread this thread again

Mod
    Thanks
    Paddlechris what was not fair was that you stating that multiple people asked for the thread to be locked but I got called out for it.Also you posting the meme about "Lets Behave" should not be directed at me.I am not breaking any rules, it's just the fact that I am questioning your moderation that has y'all back pedaling.
    My friend the others did not ask to close it and then post "Hey Mods why did you close the thread?"

The Lets Behave is for everyone's sake ..

Really man let it go and ride your bike - if you want to hang here you need thick skin trust me if I got peeved at every stupid thing posted to me on line and this site I would have left a long time ago.

Breathe deep and let out the bad thoughts - then read another thread!

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,870 Posts
    Daummm!
    Did I stumble into MTBR?

TNMB was & is a place for mountain bikers to come together to discuss all things mountain bike & to have a good healthy conversation.

START HAVING ONE!!!
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

61. The following user says "Thank You" to twolfcon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twolfcon View Post
    Daummm!
    Did I stumble into MTBR?

TNMB was & is a place for mountain bikers to come together to discuss all things mountain bike & to have a good healthy conversation.

START HAVING ONE!!!
    Your inbox is full.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,870 Posts
    Your inbox is full.

I emptied it
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

64. The following user says "Thank You" to twolfcon for this useful post:

Thanks

....and suddenly NMB is interesting again!

66. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thanks
    Best thread in a long time. Why would anyone want the mud riding thread locked? My 2 cents. Just maybe, it hits home and they ride in the mud and don't want to feel guilty? I think some people need a glass of warm milk and a chocolate chip cookie.

68. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post

....and suddenly NMB is interesting again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Best thread in a long time. Why would anyone want the mud riding thread locked? My 2 cents. Just maybe, it hits home and they ride in the mud and don't want to feel guilty? I think some people need a glass of warm milk and a chocolate chip cookie.
    Bottom line is....Drama sells

Thanks
    Bottom line is....Drama sells
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwBQ&dur=4835

71. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks

Re: Something I've noticed....

I love u guys

73. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    Last edited by ryanthelyon; 02-07-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

Thanks
    I consumed this entire thread. Drama. It's like a bad movie, you keep watching and then it ends well... surprise!

I'm amazed at how well the moderators serve this community. Oh, and I do think you guys are boring and need to go on a TNMB old guys ride. Organize it. Promote it. Ride it.

...Then ***** about it on TNMB because so-and-so is out of shape --- no crashes today on my ride. Not one. Sweet!!!!!

76. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Crash Count for this useful post:

Thanks
    I know I saw another post in my inbox on this thread. Guess it got deleted. Yes, it was funny and someone needs to relax and understand that this is all in good fun. Thick skin required at times.

Thanks

Slow-Motion

79. The following user says "Thank You" to kevkizer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Well, one good thing is that people are checking this site again!

Thread Information