Thread: Pedals!

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks

Pedals!

Although I try to quell my weight weenie tendencies, I can't seem to help myself at times and when comparing the weights of my shimano xtr's to the egg beater 11's. The XTR's are around 310g and the egg beater 11's are 174g!

Anyone have any experience/stories/ about the reliability of the eggbeaters? My xtr's have been flawless, and I'd hate to lose the reliability, but at close to half the weight I may give the 11's a shot.

Any switchers out there?
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

Thanks

Pedals!

I switched 3 years ago when I started racing cross as in that discipline eggbeaters are nearly a must with all the mud and frozen courses. I fell in love with the ease of getting in and out and never thinking about where or how you put your foot down you just slam your foot down and with 4 sides it always finds the spot. I have also never found a time when I couldn't get clipped in no matter the amount of mud or ice on my shoes while guys with SPD's couldn't. I have had great luck out of all of mine I've had lots of different models. I'm running 11's on my Epic and 3's on my SS and HT. But on the 3's I bought the Ti spindles off eBay that a guy in Michigan makes from aircraft Ti. They are really nice.

The tipping point for me was the fact that at the time the Eggbeater C's now the 1's were 34.99 and lighter than the XTR SPD's I had paid over $200 for. It just made no sense to pay so much more for something that was so much heavier and didn't give me any better service and was worse in certain situations.

You should give them a try I think you will like them. I have run them for the last several years on all my bikes and they have been rock solid and even on my SS and you know how much you have to have a good secure pedal when pulling up so much on the SS and I've never had a problem.

Michael
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

3. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Specialized_Michael for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanx Michael! Think I'm gonna give them a shot...

Thanks
    I've been on eggbeaters since 2005 and have had no problems either. The bushings are starting to wear on my current set; so, it may be time for a rebuild kit.

TC

Thanks

Pedals!

The older ones use to have more bushing issues and I did a few rebuilds they sell a kit fairly cheap and it is easy to do. The newer style has a lot better design in my opinion and I've had no issues with any of them.
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    They are light! Just check this out!

http://www.mtbresource.com/Pedal%20Failure.html

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    That artical Uzzi posted is from 2009.. I did not like the old Eggbeaters. All the Ti Eggbeaters have a weight limit. The pedal and the cleats seemed to wear out too fast for me. Like Michael stated. The new genatation eggbeaters seem to be stronger and more reliable. And you can buy little bushings to add to the outside of the pedal. These help your shoe fit tighter to the pedal .

IMO. If you are not concerned about weight. The best mountain bike pedal never made are the old Time pedals. And I still have several pair.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

9. The following user says "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Ryanathon,

I've ridden eggbeaters for over ten years and as with everything they have positives and negatives. It really seems as if your choice is determined by what you like or are comfortable with.

I used to ride with two guys and I rode eggbeaters, one friend rode xtr's, and the other rode speedplay frogs.

On the eggbeaters.

They do shed mud very well and are light and easy to clip into.

They can also destroy your skins if you ride on a lot of technical trails (not much here tho).

Reliability? OK. I was riding a cool trail outside of Crested Butte Co. (Reno, Flag, Bear, Deadman's) and starting having trouble clipping in on the first long fireroad climb. Got to the top and the spring had broken. Did emergency zip tie surgery and had to ride almost twenty miles without being able to really clip in. Hassle.

But, I'm used to them and they work for me. I will stay with them.

Oh, btw. I may have an old extra pair. If you want to borrow them for a while and see what they are like just ask.

btw2, my buddy still rides the frogs, but those things freak me out. it appears to me they tend to lock in as you are powering over something. For example, if you power over a ledge and then start coming down, they appear to keep you from coming out.

Michael

Thanks
    gmb... sorry just saw your post. thanx for the info, I would def love to check them out if you got them lying around and it's not too much of a hassle.

When I first got into biking, I had the candys and had all kinds of trouble with them. I think half of it was probably my fault/ignorance in just starting out, and the other half was the candys. I've heard much better reports about the eggbeaters, and also that they've got much better as far as reliability.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I broke 3 pair of the Pre-2010 egg beaters and/or candy's. I bought the egg beater 3's in 2010 and I've had the same pair since. Tip: Get the 3's or 11's. The 1's and 2's use a combination of bushings and bearing and don't have a 5 yr warranty. The 3's and 11's use all bearings and have 5yr warranty. They're slightly heavier than they were before 2010, but much more durable.

Adam

13. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    ryanthelyon,

i just scrounged through my old stuff and i must've just miscounted the ones I have. I have two sets of Candy's that my wife & daughter didn't like. Then, I took two pair of my old (pre-2010) eggbeaters and put them on their bikes. So, I don't have any spare pedals... 'cept the Candy's.

btw, my pedals are pre-10 pedals so I am thinking about new ones myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 731 Posts
    I ride Shimano. Have considered the eggbeaters. about 5 years ago, when I was really checking them out, seems like everybody I asked had broken one or more of the springs over at Hammy. I had personally seen 3 break on rides I was on. Also, if you come down on a rock with the bottom of the pedal, it wants to release the cleat, due to the way that the pedal is made. So I did not switch. Just thought this side of the issue should be posted. Are they any better now in this regard?

I will add that I have had lots of trouble with the SPD's when it is below freezing and I am riding in snow or frozen mud. The SPD gets real hard to clip in. Otherwise, I like my SPD's just fine.
    --Bob S.

We need you all. Please join today.
    -- -------o----------o---------o------------
    '10 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er - Seriously Loving it. -great bike.
    '05 Rnj Ano Santa Cruz Blur Classic,
    1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'
    Spc'lzd Roubaix Comp road bike

Thanks
    I haven't ever broken my beaters, but the point you make about smacking the pedal and opening the tension still is true. It's only happened to me once or twice over the years.

TC

Thanks
    Crank brothers is having a trade your old pedals for half off new level three pedals. I just got some for $60.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

18. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    Crank brothers is having a trade your old pedals for half off new level three pedals. I just got some for $60.
    dude thanx for the tip! perfect way for me to try these things out, I've got some old pedals lying around to send in.

20. The following user says "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    You gonna get some for your roadie bike, too?

Gary

Thanks
    wow, that is a good call. i may trade a spare set of candy's

Thread Information