Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton Creek Race 2013

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts

Hamilton Creek Race 2013

It's early too divulge details - but I just can't contain myself. I have always loved MTB events at Hamilton Creek. This year, would be the 10th (not quite annual) Hamilton Creek weekend and it is looking like it will be better than ever. A new sponsor is embracing the event and has the ability to make it a really special. A whole weekend of racing, the normal fun stuff you get at a Hamilton Creek FTF - like the skid game, Kid's races, clinics and more! TBRA sanctioned XC, Short Track and Time Trials - at Hamilton Creek? Yes! Plus a "mini" downhill (maybe more than one) race. May 18, 19. Hamilton Creek - Ned Shelton.

MUCH more info to come.

And pray for NO RAIN!

2. The following 8 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks

Re: Hamilton Creek Race 2013

How can potential sponsors reach the event organizers?
    IMBA-SORBA Member

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    send a PM to Tim - AKA Uzzi

Any info on the routes for the TT and XC races? CCW or CW???

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    MissingPanic - Send me a PM and I will get connected! Thanks for the support! And Steve - way to soon to be talking details, but I will say this - CCW for the XC race for sure. Short Track will consist of grass and small part of the trail for spectator friendly event. The proposed time trial will consist of the part of the trail known as the "Fiddleback" where the trail crosses the road and comes out at Ned Shelton.

6. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    It does seem early to talk about this race. Is it rain or shine?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    An October date would hedge the rain thing.

Gary

9. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    If I knew what days it would be raining and what days it would be sunny, obviously I would pick the sunny days. You roll the dice when you put these things together. I will say that with how all of this is coming together, it will be tough to make a rain date. And when we moved the event last year, it killed our turnout. The worst thing is having to endure everyone posting up with their "concern" about the weather as the event approaches. I can assure you, with all the time it takes to put on an event, the event director/promoter is much more concerned about the weather!

In addition, one must find a date where there are no other bike related events, so the May date is what worked. Remember, it's April showers that bring May flowers. Some way, rain has found it's way to every Hamilton Creek race I've done so far and somehow we have survived.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    And there will always be other races on the date you choose no matter what. As for the early planning. There are already some endurance races that have sold out that are not schedule until July. You have to plan a long ways in advance.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Robert - my dream has always been to make some event at Hamilton Creek as big as other races that get sold out in two weeks. However, I am just one guy who likes to put on events there. THIS year however, most likely will be different. There is a real partner that is going to make it pretty awesome. A weekend of racing with a festival type atmosphere? That has been my desire, and looks like now it's going to happen.

Super Moto - you are right. It doesn't make sense. The only logic there is that a race is planned out, people make arrangements to be there, it could be a "points" race for the TBRA series, people have travel plans and it's just too hard to reschedule that, you get insurance, permits etc with a certain date on them. Re-doing all that is not easy or always possible. I tried it two years ago and our event had 42 participants. So that is why the sin is overlooked. This is opposed to someone choosing to go down and ride in the mud on a day just because they are pent up and haven't ridden in 3 weeks and the wife took the kids to the mall and he has two hours to get his "ride" on. THAT person is a horrible person for riding in the mud

Thanks
    The only reason those races sell out is because they are endurance events with tons of climbing in remote areas that are real mountains. No XC race gets sold out weeks in advance that I know of.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by super-moto View Post
    I never implied that it didn't make sense, only that it sounded hypocritical.You may need to look up the definition of a hypocrite or look in the mirror.
    I understand why the race has to go on if at all possible. People have registered and traveled to make it on a certain date. I have skipped races where the forecast was awful and the days preceding the event were not good. My choice because I don't like riding or racing in the mud. Two reasons. One, it trashes my equipment. Two, not fun and more risk of crashing. But the people that do race in spite of the weather have paid for it and gotten to the race site because it is on that day. When you have a choice to ride or not ride on any given day and choose to ride a trail that is a mud pit, then you have made a choice and you could have waited. See my post under the open discussion. Races are game day and games usually don't get called off. However, practices are often moved indoors or to other places to protect the game day surface for game day. My only question is this; why would anyone choose to ride in the mud when there are other places you could ride until the trail dries out a little. I am not saying bone dry because all trails, even the best ones, have places that hold water and never seem to be completely dry.

Thanks
    Well I for one am praying for NO rain! I would love to have races at Hammy where rain is not a factor in any way!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Looking for a little info on this race. You guys put on FB that there was a date change. I went to the TBRA web site. And it looks like you have three races on the same date. Short track,TT and XC all on May 25th. Is this correct? What is the cost? I did not see a link to any race info.
    Thanks.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

Thanks
    Are you guys going to pick a cool kid to give a bike to this year too? That was awesome. I've been practicing my coolness.

19. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dook of Moots View Post
    Looking for a little info on this race. You guys put on FB that there was a date change. I went to the TBRA web site. And it looks like you have three races on the same date. Short track,TT and XC all on May 25th. Is this correct? What is the cost? I did not see a link to any race info.
    Thanks.
    Are you going to run it?

21. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBreak View Post
    Are you guys going to pick a cool kid to give a bike to this year too? That was awesome. I've been practicing my coolness.
    Okay - let's just deal with this once and for all. The decision to give the bike away to one lucky participant was not my decision, but I agreed with it. Never was advertised as a Raffle, though I know people assumed it was.

I have won a bike before, as have a few others on this message board. What is the first thing I did? Sold it. Why? Because I had a bike that was worth 5K. So the promoters who were giving the bike away did not want the bike to have that same fate. They bought it, they wanted to give it away to someone who would ride it and appreciate it not someone who saw it as a quick cash flip. The criteria for the bike was not the coolest person there. If that was the case, I would have won. We were looking for the rider who rode the hardest, with the crappiest bike. Josh Butler who won the bike fit criteria perfectly, taking 2nd on a beat up Trek 4300. It was very exciting to give the bike away to him. The purpose was not to put a quick grand in the pocket of a rider who already had a high end bike, but to give back to the riding community and hopefully give a bike away to someone who would really appreciate it.

Even with all that effort, there were some people who felt cheated. People on 5K bikes said they were deceived and that they had no chance of winning the bike. The irony of it is that we saw the bike on Craig's List a month or so later. Maybe Josh just likes hard tails. So for all the efforts, the bike still ended up cashed in. Don't look for sponsors to be giving bikes away in the near future.

So you are free to feel slighted, but hopefully you understand the reason behind why it was done that way. 95% of the people at the race would have sold that bike, the promoter knew it and wanted the opportunity to find that right person to give it to.

Also keep in mind that the sponsor of that race made no money and invested thousands to make that event something for the local MTB community. I think they deserve our appreciation.

23. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yes Dook. Three races in one day. Races with a Festival feel. I AM the Engine will have some more info soon. The race and Festival is all on one day, May 25.

25. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Speaking of hard to find an open weekend to have a race, it looks like a new race promoter just popped up out of the woodwork with triathlon event at Lock 4 this same weekend...I don't swim or run and don't care about that event, and I don't think it will impact the attendance for the hammy event, that's two different kinds of tough, it takes more than just endurance to handle Hammy!!!

seems kind of crappy for another local promoter to jump in on the same date, but I guess it's a different type of event and crowd.....I'm super stoked about this event at Hammy!
    Last edited by Syndicate; 04-07-2013 at 12:54 PM.

27. The following user says "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thanks
    pretty sure tri races have been planed long time and the hammy event changed dates

tim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    pretty sure tri races have been planed long time and the hammy event changed dates
    ah, probably so, I don't follow the race calendars and I just got an email this week about the Lock 4 event and it was the first that I had heard of it or the beast endurance series.

Thanks
    It will be a shame for that event. This will not be a typical Hamilton Creek Fat Tire Festival. This is..I AM MOUNTAIN. This is light years ahead of what could be done on a zero budget with some caution tape. This will be well funded, executed and promoted. Plus guys that do tri's don't really know how to ride a bike. I mean, they often crash for no reason at all.

Observe -

All kidding aside, hope that event goes well and they have a big turnout!
    Last edited by Uzzi; 04-07-2013 at 08:39 PM.

31. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    Word on the street is that lance Armstrong is gonna be at the lock 4 tri.
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

Thanks
    Like I said, guys who do try athalons can't ride -

Don't be mad.
    Last edited by Uzzi; 04-07-2013 at 08:40 PM.

34. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    I heard the Lance Armstrong rumor also......hmmm.....nope...still going to the Hammy the event! LOL!

Thanks
    i have not received email on tri events nor do i swim or run but i am guilty of looking at the tbra calendar and they changed the **** date. now i may not be able to attend. i was also the guy that rode the hardest on a 5k bike and was denied the chance to win a bike. yet i was still looking forward to the hammy event because that is where i rode every day when i moved here.

tim

Thanks
    Yay!!! I will be out of school to make this event!! Hopefully I can be there.

Thanks
    i have not received email on tri events nor do i swim or run but i am guilty of looking at the tbra calendar and they changed the **** date. now i may not be able to attend. i was also the guy that rode the hardest on a 5k bike and was denied the chance to win a bike. yet i was still looking forward to the hammy event because that is where i rode every day when i moved here.

tim
    Hey Tim - The criteria was the guy that rode the hardest on the hooptiest, ghetto bike. You may have ridden the hardest, but a 5K bike didn't qualify. Just know that the bike you took home (assuming you didn't overpay) was still nicer than the Ellsworth Glimpse that we gave away. You attended a great event on a beautiful day and went home with a sweet bike. I would say that makes you a winner.

As far as changing the date - I'm sensing something in your posts - is it irritation? Subtle frustration? Not sure. Event was changed to not overlap another big MTB event the weekend of the 18th, and the weekend after is the National BMX race at Hammy, so that to was not an option.

Thanks
    hey uzzi
    i must have missed the fine print (hooptiest) on the flyer nathan posted that reads
    ALL RACERS ENTERED TO WIN AN ELLSWORTH GLIMPSE
    look it up
    i am no winner just another guy that likes to race local without feeling slighted
    i watch calendar and give it a few weeks then make a tentative schedule
    so when it changes what i feel is late then i am frustrated

tim

Thanks
    Uzzi, what's the big MTB event on the weekend of the 18th? don't see anything on the TBRA race schedule.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    Uzzi, what's the big MTB event on the weekend of the 18th? don't see anything on the TBRA race schedule.
    I know of this > May 18, King of the Lake #2, Dark Mtn, North Wilkesboro, NC.

Thanks
    hey uzzi
    i must have missed the fine print (hooptiest) on the flyer nathan posted that reads
    ALL RACERS ENTERED TO WIN AN ELLSWORTH GLIMPSE
    look it up
    i am no winner just another guy that likes to race local without feeling slighted
    i watch calendar and give it a few weeks then make a tentative schedule
    so when it changes what i feel is late then i am frustrated

tim
    All racers were entered to win. Notice nowhere does it say raffle or that the winner was being picked out of a hat. If it said "Raffle" I would say you all have a point. It appears we won't agree on this.

If the kid that won the bike would have kept it and loved it, would you all feel slighted because the promoter wanted to do a good deed? As of today, this event is 6 weeks away. Barring some unknown extreme circumstance, the date won't change. Hope to see you out there! No bikes being raffled, donated or loaned at this event, so we should all be good!
    Last edited by Uzzi; 04-09-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Thanks
    my eyes tell me i was not entered to win as you stated above my bike did not qualify
    and knowwhere on the flyer did it say anything about your choice of bike to be elgible to win
    i did not attend because i had a chance to win a bike i attended because i wanted to
    then at end felt the flyer did not represent your actions
    my only gripe was advertising as i thought i was elgible

tim
    Last edited by meanjoe; 04-09-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: fixed for twb

44. The following user says "Thank You" to TWB for this useful post:

Thanks
    And we had this discussion before this went on the flyer. I think the conversation went something like this "We are not concerned if people on high end bikes are upset that they won't win a bike to flip on Craig's list" The criteria was simply not stated. Had you been in a place in your life where the only bike you had was a Pawn Shop Special, or a Craig's List Flyer and you rode like a beast, the promoter would have loved to give you a new bike!

I am amazed at the avarice and ill feelings toward someone doing (or trying to) do a good deed! Tim - you are are not the only one who was upset about this. I have not heard ANYONE say "That is so awesome that the promoter tried to give back to the community"

I guess no good deed goes unpunished! I'm upset we didn't find someone who would appreciated the bike!

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    Uzzi, I think it's badass the way ya'll picked the winner of the bike. 1st I've heard of any of this... so just thought I'd throw in my unsolicited 2 cents.
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

47. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    You might have felt different if the first you heard of it was at the giveaway. While I agree, that's a noble thing to do, the way it went down seemed kind of shady. The last thing I needed was an Med Ellsworth bike, but it sure felt weird when they announced it. If it was the plan from the start, then I take back half of my animosity. However, the vibe that I got was that it was a recent modification. No evidence, just a feeling that I got b/c of the low attendance. I broke a seat post and chain(and consequently could only use my little ring) and my partner had his chain jump in between the hub and we still finished first in the duo. The fields were light, the revenue was low, and I sure the promoters didn't break even. I would have felt less weird if they had not given the bike away at all.

At best, it was some questionable wording on the flier.

Sorry for being that d1ck that can't let it go. FWIW, I have been to the shop since and they seem to be a good group of guys.

Thanks
    I hearby order you all to start training for the TT, Short Track and 12.5, 25 miler or 35 (apx) XC races! And move this over to the I AM MOUNTAIN thread!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBreak View Post
    You might have felt different if the first you heard of it was at the giveaway. While I agree, that's a noble thing to do, the way it went down seemed kind of shady. The last thing I needed was an Med Ellsworth bike, but it sure felt weird when they announced it. If it was the plan from the start, then I take back half of my animosity. However, the vibe that I got was that it was a recent modification. No evidence, just a feeling that I got b/c of the low attendance. I broke a seat post and chain(and consequently could only use my little ring) and my partner had his chain jump in between the hub and we still finished first in the duo. The fields were light, the revenue was low, and I sure the promoters didn't break even. I would have felt less weird if they had not given the bike away at all.

At best, it was some questionable wording on the flier.

Sorry for being that d1ck that can't let it go. FWIW, I have been to the shop since and they seem to be a good group of guys.
    They are a GREAT group of guys - and had they put "We are giving this bike away to the dude who shows up and rides the hardest on a beater" it would not have been the same.

51. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks

Hamilton Creek Race 2013

Solution: Give away a gift card of equivalent value from one of the local bike shops instead. If hooptie-biker gets it, they can put it towards a new bike (or upgrade the bike they have sentimental value with to make it less ghetto). If the 5K biker gets it he can put it toward that seat post he's had his eyes on that weighs 15g less than his current one. Problem solved.

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure were allowed to purchase extra chances to win the bike at the Race, that
    day though. The proceeds went towards SORBA as I remember.

I'm excited about this race though. Love Hammy, and wished I lived closer to that trail.

Lance Bowers

2018 Surly ECR 29+
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2013 Soma Fab Double Cross Disc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    ... As of today, this event is 6 weeks away. Barring some unknown extreme circumstance, the date won't change. Hope to see you out there! No bikes being raffled, donated or loaned at this event, so we should all be good!
    well &*^%, if there's no $600 bike to be given away, then count me out, I'm going to see Lance Armstrong and watch a bunch of dudes ride their mtb's in their soaking wet speedos...

55. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thanks
    uzzi my feelings are not as ill as you might think and this is the 1st time i have brought this up in public
    i did run this by a couple people that did not attend just to get their views
    but kept my mouth shut until this thread
    just for conversation 50 miles of hammy was held on same day as bumpngrind that year yet i stayed home and supported my local promoter i have only lived here since 08 but in that time i have spent a fair amount of time working to help maintain my local trails
    (mostly lock 4) to give back for what i use
    i also thought josh was attending belmont at time of race and has now moved on (not sure of that)
    yet i am still here riding when i can between daughters basketball softball and gymnastics
    so just because i ride a more expensive bike but only with the help of my local shop and sponsor
    do not think an older married guy with a 9 year old that rides and sometimes races could not use or appreciate a new toy or the money
    from said toy then you are mistaken
    so to move on to better things the next time you give back to said community try not to lead on those that does not meet your criteria
    tim
    Last edited by TWB; 04-09-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks
    All good stuff guys - all posts noted and appreciated. Lance - there were no extra raffle tickets available for the Ellsworth Glimpse that I was aware of. If there were some sold, I was not aware - and that should not have been done. And Martin, we have a no EPO policy at all Hamilton Creek races, so there won't be any Lance at this event.

And all who raced were entered to win. No one who did not race was considered. Even I was entered to win, but my bike was too nice. And it was made in America, so I had two strikes against me. Everyone was considered.

You guys remember DSG a few years ago? When the "random" drawing was a guy running his finger down the race roster and no one who was local won a thing? I didn't hear any complaints about that (I'm sure someone will go look it up and find the complaints) I remember feeling slighted even though the year before I won a bike! Anyway - looking forward to this event. Come out and enter your 9 year old (probably older now) in the kid's race. He/She will have a great time!
    Last edited by Uzzi; 04-09-2013 at 11:34 PM.

58. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Eh, No worries.

I'll be there. Looking forward to it.

Lance Bowers

2018 Surly ECR 29+
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2013 Soma Fab Double Cross Disc

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    So if I wanted to race the XC race only it's gonna cost me 52.24?
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

Thanks
    For you I would charge 75$.

Good question, let me see about the "a la carte" menu for the race.

62. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dook of Moots View Post
    So if I wanted to race the XC race only it's gonna cost me 52.24?
    What? seems steep!

Thanks
    Is there a race flyer or web site for this race?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by super-moto View Post
    What? seems steep!
    Well, we are giving away tires so that should make up for it. Or is it tubes? Maybe pumps? You have to be super cool to win though, and have a crappy pump to qualify. I'm the sole judge, so your chances aren't too high Super Moto.

On a serious note - that price is for the Festival, and three races. here is the flyer - http://www.iammountain.org/

66. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Well, we are giving away tires so that should make up for it. Or is it tubes? Maybe pumps? You have to be super cool to win though, and have a crappy pump to qualify. I'm the sole judge, so your chances aren't too high Super Moto.

On a serious note - that price is for the Festival, and three races. here is the flyer - http://www.iammountain.org/
    Ok so members of this forum that have not posted exactly like you want may not need to enter your race = gotcha!
    Sarcasm about a give-a-way seems in poor taste given the content of this thread.

Is this the first time you have posted a link to the race? If yes then why did you wait so long?
    Last edited by super-moto; 04-22-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks
    Yeah there's probably some people that would just want to race the XC so it would be nice if you could pay just for that race. Also, to someone's earlier point, the Breakthrough Endurance race series at Lock 4 the same weekend has been planned for that weekend since the first of the year and the race promotor isn't new - it's Craig Evans who lives in Hendersonville and has been active in the mountain biking community for a long time.

Thread Information