Thread: LBL Canal Loop Conditions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts

LBL Canal Loop Conditions

Anyone been there lately? We're thinking about a ride there this weekend.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Maybe, you can call W-N-W and ask them. 270-362-2453
    I am Facebook challenged.

3. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    It doen't matter - the campgrounds are closed and not really wanting to do the back-country camping thing. I did talk to the Becketts, and they said it's pretty good.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Thanks
    Had a great ride out there this weekend - 20 miles on Saturday and 8 on Sunday due to broken spokes :o(

Trails were awesome - perfect skys - awesome leaves - fun camping - campground (Hillman Ferry) closes Nov. 30 for winter.

Steve

Thanks
    How's it looking today?

Thanks
    Josh, we had a couple guys up there ...last weekend? Two weekends ago? It's been in pretty good shape. There's a hotline you can call up there to check whether it's open or not, but I haven't got the number off the top of my head.

Thanks
    Thanks, yea it was rainy in Tennessee but I chanced it and went. Turned out to be a nice day on the Canal loop.

Thanks
    Trail in great shape yesterday, local club out working on a few re-route, thanks to them.

Thanks
    Resting up from two days up at LBL. WOW this is a fun trail system. We did part of the North / South and Canal Loop yesterday and Canal Loop today. Everything was in great shape. Wood N Wave has been doing a lot of work. Lots of bad spots fixed and lots of drainage improvements. Kudos guys and gals!!! And Hillman Ferry is open for business.

Steve

11. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to TNcaveman for this useful post:

Thanks
    How does the North/South trail compare to the canal loop? 11 miles of canal KILLED me this weekend! I can't imagine 30 miles of the same.

Thanks
    Josh, disclaimer, I haven't ridden the N/S trail, but I would love to do it. My understanding is that it's not like the three sisters section of the loop, and more like the rest of it.

Thanks
    Drew,
    Im assuming the three sisters section is the part that had me praying for oxygen? If the 30 mile N/S trail is less difficult I'd be interested as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    It's harder imho and I have soloed it quite a few times. Climbs are steeper and more eroded. It is really 32 miles from Golden Pond to the North Welcome Station with an 18 mile road ride to make it to the trail head on either end, depending on where you park. Make sure and pack whatever you think you need to get you back to your car in case of mechanical problems and fluids and food. I know a few who have done and out and back.
    I am Facebook challenged.

16. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    It's harder imho and I have soloed it quite a few times. Climbs are steeper and more eroded. It is really 32 miles from Golden Pond to the North Welcome Station with an 18 mile road ride to make it to the trail head on either end, depending on where you park. Make sure and pack whatever you think you need to get you back to your car in case of mechanical problems and fluids and food. I know a few who have done and out and back.
    See, this is the first I've heard that it's harder. One person even described it to me as "not much single track" - thanks for the input.

Josh, yeah, the Sisters are those three big hills close to the parking lot end. I differentiate that from the end across the road from the parking lot, if that makes sense?

Thread Information