Thread: 2013 Black Bear Rampage is on!

Thanks

2013 Black Bear Rampage is on!

September 8th, 2013. 20 mile course for beginners and a 40 mile course for beginners with legs, sport, expert, singlespeed, pros, etc. 85% singletrack, some 4000 feet of elevation gain, four SAG stops, great fun! This year's big schwag item is a custom logo'd gear (duffle) bag; designed by Zack to be your favorite gear bag! The registration price was lowered to $75, but racers will purchase post-ride food a la carte from two of the best food trucks in Chattanooga. The Rampage is located at the Ocoee Whitewater Center in Ducktown, TN. This is our 7th year running with major sponsors, Oakley, the US Army, Bontrager and Saris. Registration is open and we shut the door at 300, so don't wait too long! www.blackbearrampage.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    If you have never done this race, you should. I will be going back this year for the umpteenth time if I stay healthy. It is the best run race I've ever been to. It's only a 3.5 hour drive and the trails are challenging but fun.
    I am Facebook challenged.

3. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    This was probably the best race I did. I was riding singlespeed almost exclusively but decided to ride my Turner Sultan.The mileage was just right and did not cross that line like other endurance races, when I raced it the 20 mile option map showed it had most of the fun stuff on it but the 42 is very doable.

5. The following user says "Thank You" to super-moto for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I've ridden the trails a bunch and done the cohutta 100 several times, but I've never done the Rampage. I'm gonna mark my calendar this year.

Adam

7. The following user says "Thank You" to meanjoe for this useful post:

Thanks
    This looks like a great race...I have never been to Tanasi so it would be a win-win to race this one...

I am wondering though why they aren't serving any food at the end after they raise over $ 20,000 in entry fees. I suppose the SAG stops are well stocked?

Jose Alea

SORBA Advocacy
    http://www.sorbamidtn.org/

9. The following user says "Thank You" to GRiD for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GRiD View Post
    This looks like a great race...I have never been to Tanasi so it would be a win-win to race this one...

I am wondering though why they aren't serving any food at the end after they raise over $ 20,000 in entry fees. I suppose the SAG stops are well stocked?
    Because they lowered the entry fee by $25.00. They say you should expect to spend between $8 and $15 so it is still less than it was. Most race fees are a lot more than this one.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hello Jose,

We have always provided fantastic catering at the Rampage, but discovered these two "food trucks" in Chattanooga this year and, having received comments about the $100 entrance in past, decided to try this option and see how it is received. I can assure you that we do not make ANY money on this event; all of the race fees (and more) are spent on the racers. The benefit to us is in the marketing realm. While we usually provide a custom logo'd jersey, this year we are opting for a custom logo'd gear (duffle) bag. The schwag is awesome and I assure you that you will remember this day fondly for years to come! I hope that you choose to honor us with your presence on September 8th - we love spending the day with great people!

13. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to fatmtnbiker for this useful post:

Thanks
    We have a new Sandbagging policy for 2013 which should go some distance to eliminate sandbagging. As a non-sanctioned race event, we do not check racers cards to ensure entry into the proper category, but will clean up on the other side (the finish line) by bumping Beginner & Sport finishers to the next category if they finish within 10% of the podium finishing times of that category.
    Last edited by fatmtnbiker; 04-30-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    FatMtnBiker -

You can't please Jose, the Cuban Missle (pronounced Miss-ISLE) he demands full catered Spanish cuisine after all his rides. And the only words in Spanish is knows are "Taco" and "Spaghetti" and I'm not sure if the first word IS Spanish! Seriously Jose - Adam - Robert - I'm up for this! I got room in my car!

16. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Wow!! This sounds like a great way to start out the next school year!!!

I've heard lots of great things about this race.

I'm glad you posted it!! I can check into it and hopefully make plans.

18. The following user says "Thank You" to outlawinlycra for this useful post:

Thanks
    65 registered racers so far!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    FatMtnBiker -

You can't please Jose, the Cuban Missle (pronounced Miss-ISLE) he demands full catered Spanish cuisine after all his rides. And the only words in Spanish is knows are "Taco" and "Spaghetti" and I'm not sure if the first word IS Spanish! Seriously Jose - Adam - Robert - I'm up for this! I got room in my car!
    LOL...I just came back to this thread to see all this..hahaha. I demand Cafe con Leche before the start of the race and then guava pastries afterwards...but seriously it sounds like a great race..I haven't done it before so I appreciate the red carpet invite!

Jose Alea

SORBA Advocacy

Thanks
    Jose? You in? I would love to do this race. If I don't have my "race" bike together, I'm sure I can borrow something from someone. I'm a responsible young man.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Jose? You in? I would love to do this race. If I don't have my "race" bike together, I'm sure I can borrow something from someone. I'm a responsible young man.
    Yea lets do this race...should be a great course...I thought you were selling the FRO for a Hard Eddie??

Jose Alea

SORBA Advocacy

Thanks
    I am trying! I'm sure I'll having something by Sept. It's on the calendar.

Thanks
    Hmmm...humble opinions sought out. 20 miler or 40 miler? I am used to riding 2 to 3 times a week, have no problem training when a wife and 3 year old allow, which means 3-4 hour rides once or twice a week might be tough to come by, but 2-3 one hour rides a week are doable (also have a road bike I can ride 2-3 times a week during lunch breaks at work) Right now distance at Sewannee, Raccoon, or 3 laps at Lock 4 isn't a problem, so the 20 miler would be fun, but Would it be feasible to do the 40 miler with limited training time? For those who have done the race, what's your thoughts? I don't really care about finishing in the top whatever, I just care about finishing respectably.

Thanks
    For the time, cost and effort to go to one of these events. Pick a distance that is doable, but would be a challenge. 40 miles would be doable given how you described. You don't want to be at the end of 20 and think "I could have done the longer route!"

Thanks
    i agree with uzzi, however, 3 laps at L4 or a lap at the Perimeter/Raccoon, are easy compared to a similar distance in the mtns.

As mountain endurance races go, the BB Rampage is in an easier area.

Thanks
    The 20 miler still covers all the fun stuff.The 40 just adds in some fireroad fluff and you'll not be any where close to the front of either race.
    Last edited by super-moto; 05-31-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    I say do the 40. I have rode a lot of miles on these trails and fire roads. Sounds like you can handle the Challenge. Good luck. Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. You will enjoy riding these trails.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

29. The following user says "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Wrong about the fireroads. the only roads are up 64 to start, down the paved road to Old Copper Road from Boyd Gap, then a 2 mile gravel climb to West Fork, a short one to Quartz and the only other is Chestnut Mountain double tracks. The race is up 64 to Brush Creek, down Boyd Gap to paved road, about .5 miles to Old Copper Road to the WWC, up Bear Paw to Chestnut Mountain double track, to Chestnut Mountain Single Track, down Thunder Rock Single track, up 45 gravel road to West Fork Trail then up a short dirt road to Quartz loop, then Connector trail to Chestnut Mountain Double track, right to Riverview trail, which exits at Chestnut mountain double track, to Bear Paw, down to WWC, back up Old Copper Road trail, up the pavement to Boyd Gap, up Boyd Gap, then back down Brush Creek where you will eventually finish. I cannot be sure but I will guess about 60 to 65% of this race is single track and the rest is double track with only about 2 miles of gravel. I think the 40 miler has about 4200 feet of elevation gain and loss. The climbing is not that bad and all the trails are doable. The only thing that gets me, riding SS, is that climb back up Boyd Gap. I can make about 90% of it but some parts are just to steep for me that late in the race.

31. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Great post, Robert! I just pre-rode the 20 mile Saturday at noon and then drove to Jack Rabbit for a quick nightcap (of 15 miles). The trails are fast and fun. I laugh riding down Boyd Gap thinking about how much it sucks at the end of the 40 mile race! I never have a bad day on these trails - they are a blast!

Thanks
    Since there are less than 100 spots left, I thought I would this event.

34. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    64 spots remaining. Just another reminder. I have done this event since it's inception so I am going back. Well, I registered the first year but couldn't make the race. Hope that doesn't happen again. It is so well done. I just hope the conditions are good and I can post a good race time this year, for me.

Thanks
    Down to 2 spots remaining! I anticipate being filled tonight. Look to see a strong Velo Vixen turn-out this year! I love girls on bikes!
    Last edited by fatmtnbiker; 08-09-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks
    Registration is CLOSED!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 718 Posts
    I'm in for the 2013 Black Bear race!!

Can't wait

39. The following user says "Thank You" to cooper58 for this useful post:

Thanks
    For those of you who are registered for this event, keep an eye on this and plan accordingly. http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...-rocksl/?local

41. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

TWB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 718 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    For those of you who are registered for this event, keep an eye on this and plan accordingly. http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...-rocksl/?local
    Since I've never been I have no clue what to do. Suggestions?

Thanks
    Chris, it means nothing if they get this cleared before next Sunday. If they don't it means you will have to get to the race site in a very round about way. I just wanted everyone to be aware that, right now, there is a rock slide that is blocking the road to the White Water Center. I am sure that the race organizers are aware of this situation and will email participants of the alternatives. It will mean a 1.5 hour detour, at the least, if this is not out of the way.

Thanks
    It's supposed to be cleared by 1PM today.
    Custom Steel Cysco 29er
    Niner One 9
    Niner Air 9
    2011 Allez Comp Apex

Race Director for SORBA-Chattanooga

"Rest satisfied with doing well and leave others to talk of you as they please"
    "Every time I make a plan, God laughs at me."

45. The following user says "Thank You" to Bigred15 for this useful post:

Thanks
    This is one of the busiest weekends for outfitters. Guaranteed it will be cleaned up, even if they have to pull some mules out of the hills to get it done.

Thanks
    If all goes well, I will be there in either the 60 plus or Fatbike division. Will be my, I forget how many times, I have done it. It is a great course. Train for the 40 and see if they will let you switch. It is worth the extra 20 miles, I promise.

Thread Information