Swiftwick 2
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Percy Warner?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,327 Posts

Percy Warner?

Anybody know the status of the new trail? It was initially scheduled to be completed this month. I also understand that it was late starting. Darryl, Bob, Jose?

Gary

Thanks
    No news here, but I regularly see tire tracks on the hiking trail while I am running. I have to say that the hiking loops would make awesome mtn biking trails.

Haven't see any signs of work near the hiking trials.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 640 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBreak View Post
    No news here, but I regularly see tire tracks on the hiking trail while I am running. I have to say that the hiking loops would make awesome mtn biking trails.

Haven't see any signs of work near the hiking trials.
    I agree I run out there a few times a month and usually will do either the Red / White or the Yellow / White - That Red trail would be FUN on a MTB. I mean FUN and there are sections of it technical enough for anyone's liking.

Not to start a flame warm but one run on the yellow trail and I have no idea how anyone can tell me a horse does less damage than a bike..

Just an opinion not looking for a fight and I love horses to!

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 815 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post
    I agree I run out there a few times a month and usually will do either the Red / White or the Yellow / White - That Red trail would be FUN on a MTB. I mean FUN and there are sections of it technical enough for anyone's liking.

Not to start a flame warm but one run on the yellow trail and I have no idea how anyone can tell me a horse does less damage than a bike..

Just an opinion not looking for a fight and I love horses to!
    and I love horses. It is basic math. A horse with rider weighs a lot lot lot more than any rider I know of with bike and fully loaded pack. Also a horses hoof is made just perfectly to tear the crap out of the trail. How do I know? Lights and winter nights might have something to do with it. And then again, maybe they don't. ;) I know several riders who ride those trails regularly during off hours. No, I am not one of them.
    I am Facebook challenged.

6. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Talked to Kindacreeky, today. They may be getting started soon. Disappointing, considering the plan was to be completed in June. Bureaucracy...

Gary

8. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Ah, the best laid plans... I'd actually love to get on a crew and help those guys. Imagine what you could learn working for a PTBA crew.

10. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    I was thinking that, too. Also wondering how the local general contractor got/was selected. Would have loved to have been involved.

Gary

12. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    I was kind of wondering that. I've seen experienced equipment operators get back in the woods to build a trail and really screw things up, because it's not what they know how to do. Typically, you're operating in a much tighter space, with a more narrow carriage, or less predictable terrain. So I'm wondering if the local contractor actually has trail building experience, or if they're being supervised by someone who does?

Thanks
    Sent a message to the company building the trail (http://www.singletracktrails.com/) last night and they said they will be in town tomorrow and that it "Should be done in a few weeks" and suggested checking their Facebook page for updates of the progress.

They have a blog post from back in February showing a proposed design: http://www.singletracktrails.com/201...park-planning/. If that design is what got approved, it looks like it will be fast!

Thanks
    the secretiveness of this project is so weird. i don't understand why there hasn't been more visibility during construction. Either way, I can't wait until some legal trail is available at PWP. Hopefully, it will be indicative of that company's other trails.

Thanks
    I heard through Darryl that they started construction last week. There is no secretiveness going on other than the typical Metro shenanigans. Nothing is visible, cause nothing has been done to be visible, except for flagging the trail. I have not been out to the park in awhile, but you can see some of the flags from the round in the park. If they have either just started or are just starting, then there will start being visible signs of progress.

17. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by utarch00 View Post
    I heard through Darryl that they started construction last week. There is no secretiveness going on other than the typical Metro shenanigans. Nothing is visible, cause nothing has been done to be visible, except for flagging the trail. I have not been out to the park in awhile, but you can see some of the flags from the round in the park. If they have either just started or are just starting, then there will start being visible signs of progress.
    HELL YEAH!!
    Last edited by Syndicate; 08-13-2013 at 10:29 AM.

19. The following user says "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,337 Times in 728 Posts
    What I think is that Parks does not want a bunch of curiosity seekers in there during construction. If mtb'ers, then they might be tempted to ride before trail is open, and then in the way of the contractors. If others, then they would still be in the way, and at worst, might try to impede construction. If you think about it, Parks has nothing to gain by publicizing this during construction.

I believe that I heard that the local contractor is building bridges right now, and that the singletrac crews would be in gear by the end of this month.
    --Bob S.

We need you all. Please join today.
    -- -------o----------o---------o------------
    '10 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er - Seriously Loving it. -great bike.
    '05 Rnj Ano Santa Cruz Blur Classic,
    1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'
    Spc'lzd Roubaix Comp road bike

21. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to kindacreeky for this useful post:

Thanks
    Heard the same thing. Bridges being built now. Trail crew coming in soon and aiming for opening at the beginning of October.

23. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Lord of the Flies for this useful post:

Thanks
    Chris and Bob have hit it right on the head...Metro doesn't really need to make any noise during construction as it just slows down the process. I for one can't wait to ride this "top secret" trail!

Jose Alea

SORBA Advocacy
    http://www.sorbamidtn.org/

25. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to GRiD for this useful post:

Thanks
    There are some things we just don't need to know. I truly believe that. I am just happy to hear that something is being built there. It may be a zoo at the park in October. Finally, we can ride dirt in PWP and maybe even at night. Sweet. Thanks to all that made this possible.

27. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,099 Posts

Re: Percy Warner?

And don't forget that word is, the (possibly upcoming) renovated golf course club house, that will be shared with the trailhead, will be serving beer!
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

29. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Chewieez for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'll just leave this here...
    1098188_504445346307849_1825745273_n.jpg

31. The following 11 users say "Thank You" to Lord of the Flies for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Flies View Post
    hehe, suweeeet!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Flies View Post
    Pretty sure I saw this jewel on Facebook too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,296 Times in 982 Posts
    There are pictures up ...as seen above of work being done at Percy Warner right now! Anyone know the grand opening date? Projected first ride day? They need someone to test all the jhumps?

Thanks
    Yeah, we're looking at figuring out when the grand opening is and bringing a big group down from Clarksville. But I don't have a date from anyone yet. I'm just keeping my ears open.

Thanks
    There is no date set yet. We really wont know until closer to the date anyway. It all depends on how long it takes to finish the trail.

Thanks
    hey guys,
    long time lurker, first time poster... I live around the corner from PW (Will be able to ride directly from my garage) so I have been watching the thread and now that it is getting close I figured I would join in on the conversation.

Where will the main trailhead/parking be located?
    And just to get an idea on completion (yes, I get that it is a moving target) are we talking days, weeks or months?

As it opens and anyone wants to ride just PM me or email. (Used to race Sport class in college but haven't ridden serious in 10 years so I am very out of shape and slow right now. Looking to do the doughnut race this year. Thats my kind of ride!)

Thanks
    DCD

Specialized Epic Comp 29'er and a Tomac Buckshot Pro

Thanks
    Safe to say it will be ridden this year. I've heard as soon as early November, but these pros are cooking right along and as I've understood it, planned to have the whole trail cut in roughly 30 days. Since it's begun...extrapolation puts us into Oct with some optimism. Don't know that the trailhead will be by the clubhouse, but do know that the clubhouse will be within reach of the trail and some parking allowing for brews with buddies following the ride. I can't claim any "native" type of longevity to my tenure in Middle TN, but I know this has been a long time coming and as recent as two years ago, seemed like it would never-ever happen.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

39. The following user says "Thank You" to Tdub for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog36 View Post
    hey guys,

Where will the main trailhead/parking be located?
    My understanding is that the main trailhead will be in part of what is now overflow parking at Cheekwood, just around the corner from the Belle Meade blvd entrance to the park. If they are following the posted concept design, there will be easy access/input to the trail from several locations off of the Hwy 100 entrances.

And just to get an idea on completion (yes, I get that it is a moving target) are we talking days, weeks or months?
    I think we're probably talking weeks until completion, but definitely not months. It is almost all being machine cut, which goes fast. I'm hoping optimistically for sometime in October.

Looking to do the doughnut race this year. Thats my kind of ride!
    Yeah!! Everyone should do the doughnut race. It's awesome!
    Graham

'08 Specialized Epic Comp
    '00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

41. The following user says "Thank You" to graham722 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks Graham!

This was the type of info I was looking for. I think I might have gotten myself in hot water on another post I had so I appreciate the straight forward info.

DCD

Thanks
    Thanks Graham!

This was the type of info I was looking for. I think I might have gotten myself in hot water on another post I had so I appreciate the straight forward info.

DCD
    No problem! There are plenty of people on here with more concrete info than what I know, who are keeping mum for whatever reason. There have been a great deal of politics involved with this particular trail, but they're out there cutting it, so I sure hope they've got the trailhead figured out by now.
    Graham

'08 Specialized Epic Comp
    '00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

Thanks
    New photos, unpoached so you won't find them on somebody's FaceySpace. I was busy with a road ride so I sent one of my people out to check out the progress. He saw about 5 bridges. If memory serves there will be around 10 bridges unless the plans have changed.

IMG_9993.jpg

IMG_9994.jpg

IMG_9995.jpg

IMG_9997.jpg

IMG_9996.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lord of the Flies; 08-27-2013 at 07:01 PM.

45. The following 15 users say "Thank You" to Lord of the Flies for this useful post:

Thanks
    You have people? I need people, so i can ride and still get stuff done.

47. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks

Percy Warner?

I so can't wait for this, I rode out there on the road two laps this afternoon those will turn into MTB rides once done. I can ride there from work and it is on my way home. I've been dreaming of this for years! Thanks for the photos.

Michael
    Michael

TBRA Mountain Bike Director
    Bicycle Racing Info in TN - www.tbra.org

Team Bikers Choice

'11 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er
    '12 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Road Bike)
    '12 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon 29er SS
    '10 Specialized Fuse 1 (BMX/Pump Track Bike)
    '09 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon 29er
    '08 Specialized Tricross Expert (Cross and Commuter bike)
    '09 Specialized Transition Expert (Triathlon and TT Bike)

Thanks
    5 miles from my house. Nice. I will still do road rides but will include the trails also. I also think David Brommel and Tommy Hatcher should be the first riders on this trail. May be some others but I know that David has been trying, for years, to make this happen.
    Last edited by Robert; 08-28-2013 at 05:55 PM.

50. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the pics!

Ready to be able to ride new trails!

Thanks
    Hiked the trail today. Counted six bridges. Based on walking pace, about a mile of trail cut-in. Should be fun!

Gary

53. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    According to kindacreeky, there is more trail cut in that is not yet connected to the segment I walked. "I'll be back."

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    According to kindacreeky, there is more trail cut in that is not yet connected to the segment I walked. "I'll be back."
    Can you take the GPS, or is that too intrusive to the final unveiling?

Thanks
    Hiked the trail today. Counted six bridges. Based on walking pace, about a mile of trail cut-in. Should be fun!
    Just can't wait, can you? It's just killing you. It has to be for you to make that trip. ROFLMAO
    I don't blame you. I only saw where they went into the woods at the golf parking lot when I was on a road ride about a week ago.
    I'll just wait for the opening. Looking like a lot of night rides this winter if the weather will cooperate. Personally, I cannot ride trails every day. My body cannot take the beating and the road or gravel riding helps my trail riding a lot. Keep us posted. I am looking forward to having something this close to where I live and work.

57. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    I was in the area looking at work and thought, "While I'm in the neighborhood..." Every day is too much for me too. I've found every other to work. I need recovery...and hot tub.

As to the GPS, my phone has one, but I don't know how to use the way-point or tracking function (assuming it has it).

Gary

Thanks

Re: Percy Warner?

I was in the area looking at work and thought, "While I'm in the neighborhood..." Every day is too much for me too. I've found every other to work. I need recovery...and hot tub.

As to the GPS, my phone has one, but I don't know how to use the way-point or tracking function (assuming it has it).
    RunKeeper or mapmyride will map it out for you. You can then export that to a file and import it into Google maps.
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    I'm exited. I hope it has some good technical sections.

IMBA-SORBA Middle TN is a 501 c3 non for profit volunteer supported organization, who's mission is to advocate mountain biking and sustainable mountai
    Thanks
    Quite exciting...eh? The pace of construction is rapid, but we need to stay out of their way. More info soon for when rubber takes on the dirt at Warner!

62. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to IMBA_SORBA for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMBA_SORBA View Post
    Quite exciting...eh? The pace of construction is rapid, but we need to stay out of their way. More info soon for when rubber takes on the dirt at Warner!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 492 Posts
    I'll be on sight this week and see what more trail trail gang can report regarding progress and features. We expect their crew to get another boost of pro hands and equipment soon, so the pace (based on weather) will stay on course. Look for a SORBA members newsletter with some updates this week! News and upcoming events...Thanks to all our volunteers, members and supporting parnters for bringing more trail to us! Metro Parks staff have worked very hard with more on the horizon!

65. The following 10 users say "Thank You" to dirtdog for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'm looking forward to seeing some more work days at Bell's Bend to hold our side of this up. I'm also really looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us at PW. Thanks for the updates Darryl.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,337 Times in 728 Posts
    What Cotharyus is talking about: "I'm looking forward to seeing some more work days at Bell's Bend to hold our side of this up."

SORBA Mid-TN basically agreed to build, with club volunteers, 5 miles of trail at Bells Bend Metro Park. This effort was part of a "package deal" in which Metro agreed to fund professional design and build of the PWP trail. The Bells Bend trail will be what IMBA calls a "gateway" trail to introduce new riders to the sport. The site has low grade. About 2.5 miles of the trail will be in the woods, and 2.5 miles will wind through open meadows. The club started on the trail last year, and got about 1000 ft of corridor open.

We are presently focusing on Cane Ridge Park Phase 2, trying to get about 2 miles of Phase 2 open. When that is done, then we will focus on Bells Bend trying to get that trail done. Metro Parks has a contractor building a large bridge over a big creek to connect the mtb trail to the Nature Center.
    --Bob S.

We need you all. Please join today.
    -- -------o----------o---------o------------
    '10 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er - Seriously Loving it. -great bike.
    '05 Rnj Ano Santa Cruz Blur Classic,
    1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'
    Spc'lzd Roubaix Comp road bike

68. The following 9 users say "Thank You" to kindacreeky for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yep, that gateway trail is a big deal for me. It's half the distance from me that Cane Ridge is (I'd love to catch another workday there, but it'll have to be a Saturday work day) and I've got a son who's ridden most of Lock 4 and likes smother trail than Rotary, a daughter who has never been on single track before, and a wife who needs some confidence building on a bike - it would be great to have a trail close to home for them. All three will be at Take a Kid Mountain Biking day with me.

70. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    I was busy riding today so I sent my photographer out for new photos to give you an idea of the progress.

1.jpg2.jpg9.jpg12.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg18.jpg19.jpg21.jpg

72. The following 18 users say "Thank You" to Lord of the Flies for this useful post:

Thanks
    Is that Bobo in that last pic?
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

Thanks
    Any information on what style of trail this will be (ie: jumps, drop ins, downhill, rock obstacles etc)? From the pictures it all looks pretty flat, but I know that can be deceiving.

Thread Information