Thread: Gatlinburg Area Trails

Thanks

Lightbulb Gatlinburg Area Trails

My husband and I are going to Gatlinburg in a few weeks and were looking forward to riding some beginner or intermediate single tracks, unfortunately we haven't been able to find much information about trails. We have recently started riding and have so many options around us to ride. We are not overly skilled but we are adventurous and don't just want to ride a paved path around town. Searching this forum didn't reveal much as most of the threads were over 2 years old and many of the answers were based of of even more dated experience.

Can any one give some insight to trails in the area.

I understand Tsali is about an hour away and we would be willing to travel there if it is worth it, but we would also like to ride some more local trails and only drive to Tsali once while on vacation. We already have a 9 hour drive to get to Gatlinburg, any more time in the truck is just not pleasant sounding!

Also if any one knows of a bike shop in or near Gatlinburg that would be appreciated as I could contact them from there for trail information.

Thank you in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts
    Gatlinburg doesn't have any bike shops that I am aware of. That area doesn't have trails to ride on. Mountain bikes are not allowed on the trails in the Smokies. There is Climbworks - http://www.climbworkscanopy.com/mountain-biking/, but it is more of a tourist spot and you have to pay to ride. There is lots of trails in Knoxville and it is about an hour away.

3. The following user says "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thank you for the info. I was really hoping that the trail situation had changed in the last couple years. Where can I find Knoxville trail info? All I see when I search are paved paths in and around the city.

Thanks
    Has any one ridden any of these? Which do you recommend?

OFF ROAD TRAIL SYSTEMS — KNOXVILLE
    Concord Park
    Ft Dickerson Park
    Forks of the River WMA
    Haw Ridge Park
    Ijams Nature Center
    IC King Park
    Knoxville Urban Wilderness
    Melton Hill Park
    Norris Dam State Park Trails
    Norris Watershed Trails
    Sharp's Ridge Memorial Park Trails
    William Hastie Natural Area

OFF ROAD TRAIL SYSTEMS — REGIONAL
    Big South Fork NRRA Trails
    Black Oak Ridge Trails
    Frozen Head State Park Trails
    North Boundary Trails
    Panther Creek State trails

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeapinLeopard View Post
    Thank you for the info. I was really hoping that the trail situation had changed in the last couple years. Where can I find Knoxville trail info? All I see when I search are paved paths in and around the city.
    Unfortunately, the Federal government is not keen on letting mountain biking in on their National Parks. Until we can change that, the situation will stay the same. You can ride your bike around the Cades Cove loop in the park. It is a scenic gravel road.

7. The following user says "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yes...I'm from those there hills out east! Knoxville cycling has a board and a very active facebook page, or check out Appalachian Mountain Bike Club.

The Dirty South in Knoxville includes the Urban Wilderness, Ijams, Forks of the River, and Hastie. It can be connected and is very popular on the south side of town, I don't love it but others definitely do, perhaps more for the ease of use after work since it's in the city. If you are wanting to be in the woods, Haw Ridge is the winner all the way around. Norris is better in the wet and for some big gravel climbs. Concord is fun, too, but smaller area and big hills you climb, climb, and then climb again. Big South fork is awesome, too...but a bit farther. If you are going to go that far, check out Tanasi Trails (Cleveland, TN) and/or Tsali (Andrews, NC).

Have fun exploring!

Thanks
    Thank you all for the advice and help! Your time is very appreciated!

Thanks
    The irony that a few NMB Forum jabs has engendered my name being added to a trail I have never worked on or ridden is amazing! I must be a topic of conversation over there! Love it! Maybe we are a little closer to this being considered a real trail by having my name on it! Thanks guys!

But really - the bypass should be re-routing one of Tommy's famous turns with a tree in the apex so you can't lean and have any flow.
    Our excellent online Brain Dumps.com exam. We also offer latest EXIN and University of California, San Francisco with 100% success guarantee. Our Youtube is rare in IT world.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    ?

Gary

Thanks
    From WBIR: "Big South Fork is the first national park unit in the United States to receive the elite Epic Ride designation. The International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)has named five trails in the BSF as Epic Rides. The five trails are Collier Ridge, West Bandy, Duncan Hollow, Grand Gap Loop, and the portion of the John Muir Trail from Grand Gap Loop to Station Camp."

If anyone is interested in riding these trails, we have a rental cabin -- Hemlock Bluff -- that borders the park. Also, a new outfitter business just opened in nearby Jamestown -- Borderland Expeditions. They provide equipment, transportation, etc.

Thanks
    Is the John Muir trail still open to Mt bikers only on Monday - Friday ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodney humes View Post
    Is the John Muir trail still open to Mt bikers only on Monday - Friday ?
    I am pretty sure it is open all the time. I have ridden it on a Sunday and the rangers didn't say anything.
    I am Facebook challenged.

15. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thread Information