Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downhill and Freeride in Mid TN?

Thanks

Downhill and Freeride in Mid TN?

Hey ya'll! I downhill mtb for a living and want some cool lines here for the downhill and freeride crowd. I think we could add at least one jump line or something at most of the mid tn places. I need to talk to some people to work it out. I know SV but want more. Thanks for your help!

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Super-Moto is wrong actually about the receptiveness since I can only guess he is gauging that on his posts on a mostly cross country oriented forum. I find myself quite receptive, as are many others. He would have been better off to say we don't have the elevation, so unless you like to pedal as well, there simply isn't the terrain for long bike park runs. However, I am surprised that you say you want more than SV since I would rate that place as pretty stout for our area.

That does not mean that there are not any possibilities in our area to add in some elements in key places along a given trail. It has been done - Lock 4 at one time had some nice jumps but they have slowly disintegrated. Chickasaw as well has some features that are fun. However, those alone are not enough to haul your DH bike either of those places just to session some features.

As long as SV exists, I do not know how much effort will be put into building something else.

3. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thx Uzzi. I wander iff radnor lake would alow dh. I know it won't be long but some good dh / freeride lines could be made. I need some sorba peeps to talk too!!!!

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Radnor would never do it, you can not even run those trails.... yes you need to talk to the SORBA board are you a member? that is your best way to see what you can do.

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post
    Radnor would never do it, you can not even run those trails.... yes you need to talk to the SORBA board are you a member? that is your best way to see what you can do.
    SO true, Radnor would never allow it. It is a sweet park though.

If we had more elevation in Davidson county (especially on Metro Parks land) it could be possibility. We know that Metro is receptive to the idea of a "skills" park for MTB. They loved the idea of the Valmont Bike Park in CO.

At the moment there are just a LOT of MTB projects going on right now on Metro Parks property. Time will tell if there will be a site worthy of a great skills park

Jose Alea

SORBA Advocacy
    http://www.sorbamidtn.org/

7. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to GRiD for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    While hiking and cutting, last Saturday, I noticed an awesome spot for a downhill run. Defeated Creek. Lots of rugged, rocky terrain and around 400' of elevation. Figuring out the shuttle would be the problem. I bet permission for the trail wouldn't be too hard, as long as you didn't interfere with any of the existing trails.

Gary

9. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Oh, I have the place for down hill runs and shuttles. We just need to have a few sit down meetings with the land manager and figure out where we do or don't want it. Shuttles shouldn't be a problem. The only problem is restricted (read: no) access during big game seasons. But I got a place. It's VERY likely that I need to talk to the SORBA board too. Right now the biggest problem is my work load (building/maintaining trail) and SORBA's workload (doing the same) is pretty much maxed out without a significant increase in turnout on workdays, at least on my end. SORBA looks to get good turnout, but I understand time for the leaders of work days has been a precious commodity this year.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    While hiking and cutting, last Saturday, I noticed an awesome spot for a downhill run. Defeated Creek. Lots of rugged, rocky terrain and around 400' of elevation. Figuring out the shuttle would be the problem. I bet permission for the trail wouldn't be too hard, as long as you didn't interfere with any of the existing trails.
    Gary - is there a fire road near by, or is the 'problem' that there is no way to shuttle up at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Oh, I have the place for down hill runs and shuttles. We just need to have a few sit down meetings with the land manager and figure out where we do or don't want it. Shuttles shouldn't be a problem. The only problem is restricted (read: no) access during big game seasons. But I got a place. It's VERY likely that I need to talk to the SORBA board too. Right now the biggest problem is my work load (building/maintaining trail) and SORBA's workload (doing the same) is pretty much maxed out without a significant increase in turnout on workdays, at least on my end. SORBA looks to get good turnout, but I understand time for the leaders of work days has been a precious commodity this year.
    When is the big game season(s)?

Middle TN Gravity Pics / Vids

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

13. The following user says "Thank You" to Requiem for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    As long as SV exists, I do not know how much effort will be put into building something else.
    Since SV is geared towards FR, I'd be very interested in building some DH runs in Nashville since we don't have any at all . . . but as you mentioned, elevation is the problem. Not much can be done about that.

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

15. The following user says "Thank You" to Requiem for this useful post:

Thanks
    Well I am not sure where the difference is. A run in which little pedaling is required where there are jumps and drops, even one line with a rock garden and some rock drops. If anything you could say it's jump lines more than anything. Without a mountain, not sure you could do much better.

17. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    What is SV? Familiar with some of the trail around here but dont know that one...

19. The following user says "Thank You" to dirtdog36 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Well I am not sure where the difference is. A run in which little pedaling is required where there are jumps and drops, even one line with a rock garden and some rock drops. If anything you could say it's jump lines more than anything. Without a mountain, not sure you could do much better.
    You are not sure where the difference is because you don't know what you're talking about.Talking about SV on this forum is probably not a good idea, but please post some directions to SV and invite everyone.

Thanks
    Super-Moto is wrong actually about the receptiveness since I can only guess he is gauging that on his posts on a mostly cross country oriented forum. I find myself quite receptive, as are many others. He would have been better off to say we don't have the elevation, so unless you like to pedal as well, there simply isn't the terrain for long bike park runs. However, I am surprised that you say you want more than SV since I would rate that place as pretty stout for our area.

That does not mean that there are not any possibilities in our area to add in some elements in key places along a given trail. It has been done - Lock 4 at one time had some nice jumps but they have slowly disintegrated. Chickasaw as well has some features that are fun. However, those alone are not enough to haul your DH bike either of those places just to session some features.

I'm not wrong, it was just my opinion.I have heard you are very receptive tho.

Thanks
    Thanks guys. THis chat is super helpful. It could be walk up. Doesn't need a shuttle. Need to make a list of people to contact and places to build. Join the Tennessee Downhill group to keep talking about this!

Thanks
    Where is it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    When is the big game season(s)?
    It changes from year to year, but specifically deer seasons and turkey seasons. The downside is it leaves 5 months a year you can't do ANYTHING on/with the property. The upside is, it's no further from Nashville than Monty Bell, it's huge, and I'm relatively certain there's a place you could put two downhill runs and use one road that already exists to shuttle both of them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TreyDownhill View Post
    Where is it?
    Trey, I have to be a bit cagey about exactly details right now. I've spoken with the land manager, and he told me if I wanted to get a crew together and build trails in there to "knock myself out" - but there are a LOT of outstanding details that need to be worked out before anyone gets excited. Which is why if, as a group, SORBA decides we want to tackle this, there need to be a few official meetings, then probably some exploration on site, then some design work.

With SORBA's current official workload, I'm not certain what the time table would look like for them to get to it. For me, I'm covered up in trail work for at least the next two years, just inside Clarksville's city limits. More hands on more trail tools and a collaborative effort is likely to be the only way anything comes of this property anytime in the next 5 years.

Thanks
    Trey, I have to be a bit cagey about exactly details right now. I've spoken with the land manager, and he told me if I wanted to get a crew together and build trails in there to "knock myself out" - but there are a LOT of outstanding details that need to be worked out before anyone gets excited. Which is why if, as a group, SORBA decides we want to tackle this, there need to be a few official meetings, then probably some exploration on site, then some design work.

With SORBA's current official workload, I'm not certain what the time table would look like for them to get to it. For me, I'm covered up in trail work for at least the next two years, just inside Clarksville's city limits. More hands on more trail tools and a collaborative effort is likely to be the only way anything comes of this property anytime in the next 5 years.
    5 years of DH and he'll be broke & broken.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by super-moto View Post
    5 years of DH and he'll be broke & broken.

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

Thanks
    You are not sure where the difference is because you don't know what you're talking about.Talking about SV on this forum is probably not a good idea, but please post some directions to SV and invite everyone.
    The location is no secret,

Thanks
    We need pumptracks too!

Thanks
    We need to not talk about SV. Jeff said so.

Thanks
    The location is no secret,
    You know I'm right, or you would have told the location.Prove me wrong and invite the public with the location and directions.

We need to not talk about SV. Jeff said so.
    You know this, and I know this but Uzzi is way wrong about this!

Thanks
    The current Clarksville project is going to have a pump track, before it's all said and done.

Thanks
    Clarksville project? Whats up there?

Thanks

Thanks
    Cool. Do ya'll think monty bell would let us squeez another dh trail in the network?

Thanks
    Cool. Do ya'll think monty bell would let us squeez another dh trail in the network?
    No. Some very connect people have been unsuccessful in getting permission to add XC trail.

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    Gary - is there a fire road near by, or is the 'problem' that there is no way to shuttle up at all?
    No fire road or direct access to the top (I've wish there were, on the numerous hikes in to clear downed trees). With the network of XC trail winding from boundary to boundary, some significant rerouting (or bridges) would have to be done for the two to coexist. I'm being very presumptuous, but considering the lack of a fire road, I'd think TVA might go along with the construction of one by others. On second thought, the opening of an unregulated-access motorized vehicle road would probably open a can of worms that would nix it (re: recreational 4-wheeling, dirt bikes, etc.).

You need to come check Defeated out! Ridden clockwise, there's a 2 mile climb and a 7 mile, mostly, decent!
    Last edited by homer; 08-24-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Gary

38. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Is Defeated technical or smooth?

Thanks
    Maybe we could get sorba into building a hike up dh trail at defeated?

Thanks
    Is Defeated technical or smooth?
    The XC trail is not technical. The surrounding terrain has some awesome rock shelves and outcroppings. You'd drool.

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    The XC trail is not technical. The surrounding terrain has some awesome rock shelves and outcroppings. You'd drool.
    Hmmmmghhh. I am drooling. Could we get SORBA into building a downhill trail?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts
    At this point, the only way to get SORBA to build anything, is to get more people to join and come out and help build and finish the current projects that we have. The next important item, would be getting permission from the Land Manager. SORBA can't just go in and start building trial. Once you get permission, there is the surveying of the topo, design and layout, flagging, approval, etc. After all of that, you can start building. Any trail project is a long laborious process and takes time. We have a lot on our plate and are having enough trouble building and maintaining what we currently have.

Your request for freeride and downhill trails has been dully noted and has been forwarded to Metro. It is in their hands now.

44. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks
    What utarch00 said. This is why I threw out that 5 year figure. It's not just a matter of getting it done, it's a matter of getting to it.

Thanks
    yeah, thats true but when they eventually tear downy you know what Im gonna go bonkers if i cant jump anything!

Thanks
    yeah, thats true but when they eventually tear downy you know what Im gonna go bonkers if i cant jump anything!
    Grab a shovel and build something in your backyard if you want it that bad. There are jumps/drops on all the local trails, not to mention the unmentionable trail ... And TTC and WR has a lot to offer in the way of DH. The elevation is just not here for it.

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

48. The following user says "Thank You" to Requiem for this useful post:

Thanks
    #1 my yards flat. TTC and WR are more than 2 hours away from me. The " unmentionable trail " will be destroyed eventually. And the trails don't have to be long. Also there are a few very small drops on local trails and no jumps.

Thanks
    It's funny that this thread is coming back to what I stated, Uzzi can say he and others are receptive but that does not mean anything will get done.

Thanks
    It's funny that this thread is coming back to what I stated, Uzzi can say he and others are receptive but that does not mean anything will get done.
    Of course, you understand the fundamental reason you're right isn't because people listen and say yeah, that'd be cool and then walk away and do nothing. It's because the people who think it'd be cool are going back to building the projects they're already involved in. If the people looking for downhill trails pitch in and help build current projects, then people working on current projects will make the down hill trails a priority where it's realistic.

Trey you keep on talking about a TN down hill group. But I haven't seen a link or anything else anywhere. How about a little info.

52. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Of course, you understand the fundamental reason you're right isn't because people listen and say yeah, that'd be cool and then walk away and do nothing. It's because the people who think it'd be cool are going back to building the projects they're already involved in. If the people looking for downhill trails pitch in and help build current projects, then people working on current projects will make the down hill trails a priority where it's realistic.

Trey you keep on talking about a TN down hill group. But I haven't seen a link or anything else anywhere. How about a little info.
    Realistic is a broad brush. 5 years sounds about right tho, that's how long it would take for someone to get SORBA to build a DH trail in Nashville - a true shuttle only one way trail.Heck maybe even 10 years.

Trey just make the drive to Windrock or TTC and get your fix there.Riding where IMBA or SORBA has no say will really open up your eyes to riding.

Thanks
    How much does it cost to go to a private mountain bike park? How much does it cost to go to any of the SORBA built trails around mid TN? Building trails cost time and money. I'm all for a pump track and downhill around here, but I'm not willing to pay to play. I will wait give my yearly contribution and volunteer what little time I have to make it possible to bike. I moved here from Idaho 13 years ago and there wasn't much around. I would say that all the mountain bike clubs have contributed to a flurry of trail building in the past few years. First goal is to get the community interested in the trails. Which means accessible and rideable to most of the population. Once any club has enough interest it can expand to faciliate more technical and specialized trails. Long story short Put up or Shut up!!! I won't tolerate ignorance in a man
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

55. The following user says "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    How much does it cost to go to a private mountain bike park? How much does it cost to go to any of the SORBA built trails around mid TN? Building trails cost time and money. I'm all for a pump track and downhill around here, but I'm not willing to pay to play. I will wait give my yearly contribution and volunteer what little time I have to make it possible to bike. I moved here from Idaho 13 years ago and there wasn't much around. I would say that all the mountain bike clubs have contributed to a flurry of trail building in the past few years. First goal is to get the community interested in the trails. Which means accessible and rideable to most of the population. Once any club has enough interest it can expand to faciliate more technical and specialized trails. Long story short Put up or Shut up!!! I won't tolerate ignorance in a man
    Good one! So in 13 years has any of your clubs built a technical or specialized trail???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    How much down hill experience do you have? Surely you are not ignorant pertaining to downhill riding in the southeast.

Thanks

I turned it into a private group and invited you. You should get a message to join

Thanks
    How much down hill experience do you have? Surely you are not ignorant pertaining to downhill riding in the southeast.
    I am OK. No. I love the southeast trails. It's just that I don't have time to drive four hours and have time to bike a lot and come back home by 8:00 for church sunday. Im not saying this has to be built now. It's just when they tear away you know what im gonna go crazy!

Thanks
    Depends on what you consider technical. I repeat, most of the trails around here are meant to get people out to enjoy the trails -- building a population of like-minded people who will come together for a shared cause. Not to scare them away with 8' drops. SORBA is about getting people involved, not catering to a select few. And when I got here 13 years ago, Tennessee wasn't necessarily a Mecca for mountain biking. I'd say SORBA has done an excellent job furthering the cause for everyone. Yes, considering I came from the northwest where you have 13 mile climbs followed by the same downhills on the spine of a ridge on a hard tail with 80 mm front suspension and v-brakes. I've had my fair share of crashes with no pads or full faced helmets. I'm very thankful for how much the technology of downhill bikes has contributed to the advancement of components for all mountain bikes. Which has lead to a safer, faster, and a more fun experience. Unfortunately, my funds and more importantly my wife wouldn't allow for a specific downhill bike so I stick with what I know and can afford.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

61. The following user says "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    You know I'm right, or you would have told the location.Prove me wrong and invite the public with the location and directions.

You know this, and I know this but Uzzi is way wrong about this!

For an anonymous poster who has asked that his real name not be revealed, you sure to ask for a lot of specifics.

Thanks
    For an anonymous poster who has asked that his real name not be revealed, you sure to ask for a lot of specifics.
    I can ask for what ever specifics I want to. You not answering my question just proves me right again.
    I have asked for my real name to be kept off this forum,obviously you have a problem with that and I could care less.
    I personally know several members of this forum so I'm not as anonymous as you think.I've just never met you, but I can't wait until that day.

Thanks
    What are you right about again? You are right about so many things I can't keep track. You might be surprised but I didn't join this site to answer your questions. If you want the directions to SV, ask Jeff Frazier, you know him.

Thread Information