Thread: Monty Bell Downhill Trail

Thanks

Monty Bell Downhill Trail

Hey guys, on the long lost discussion " downhill and freeride in TN " we talked about maybe clearing and adding some jhumps to the trail. Anyone want to help maybe get some people into this and sorba with maybe a group ride on the trail after? Thanks.
    I have no clue what my signature should be….

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/treydownhill/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Gotta get permission from mbsp eric, first.

Gary

3. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Umm who is that? Can u ask him?

Thanks
    You need to pump your brakes a bit here. Start coming to the work days and develop a relationship with Eric. He is a ranger for the state park. Key words are state park. If I had to bet on it, they won't be interested in this project. I would be very excited to develop something, but I won't get my hopes up.

6. The following user says "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Thanks
    Paddlechris, Uzzi, Requiem, and even you agreed the mb dh trim up idea could work. I'll let you think about what you think.

Thanks
    Also, i've worked trail in TN several times

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TreyDownhill View Post
    Paddlechris, Uzzi, Requiem, and even you agreed the mb dh trim up idea could work. I'll let you think about what you think.
    Safetybreak is 100% correct, it's a great idea but fact is you MUST first have approval from the park. MBSP Eric is the Ranger, this is his username on this board, send him a private message.

Thanks
    yeah i will. I totally agree. I know you need permission. Or it would be braking the law just to build wherever you want.

Thanks
    Also, i've worked trail in TN several times
    I want to do this gently, so please, don't take offense if I fail at that.

I've worked with SORBA a couple of times at workdays of their priority. I've hosted dozens of workdays on trails that SORBA has nothing to do with other than the fact that I'm a SORBA member. I've also built and repaired tons of trails with other groups not in this area at all. But I have yet to make suggestions about how SORBA should manage it's resources or what they should do with a trail they maintain. Am I interested in getting some projects together with SORBA's help? Yep. But I'm not rushing things, and my suggestion to you is do the same.

SORBA, as a group in this area is very busy. It's not likely they will be able to facilitate an official SORBA workday for your idea of adding to the downhill trail. What that means is, the group of people who maintain MB anyhow will have to get behind the idea. When you contact Eric, the first thing he will want to know before he even considers letting you master mind something like that (if he considers it at all) will be what your reputation as a trail builder/worker is. If you can't supply credentials/references you'll likely shoot yourself in the foot.

Given that you likely want to proceed anyway, this is what I'd recommend. Get a map of the trails out there, and go look at where features you want to add would actually work. Make notes about those spots, and what you want there. Then find the crew of guys that does most of the work at MB that have a relationship with Eric. See if you can ride the trail with them and talk about your ideas. If they like it, then you can proceed to talk to Eric with a PLAN in hand, and details about what you want, how you'd do it, and who would be doing it with you. And that's going to give you your best chance with or without references or support from SORBA. Just remember, as you make your plans, don't commit other people to your ideas. Other people have to commit themselves.

12. The following 10 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yeah, i totally agree with you. I am working on it. i am not trying to make this happen tomorrow, just somthing in the future. i've riden MB alot and almost all the trails. I understand sorba is very busy so i'll let them take their time on the projects. I have a few peeps to talk to including eric. Thanks for the info though!

Thanks
    No problem. I actually have yet to ride the DH trail at MB, but I've ridden about everything else at least once. If you want someone to look at the DH trail with you, maybe we can sort out a time we can both get there.

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Trey - I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but the proposed DH line at Hammy is probably way more doable. It was marked and cleared a few years ago, so there is no reason it could not be opened up and developed. The DH at Montgomery Bell is full of speed squashing turns, non-flow and then a screaming straight down rutted out fall line run into a sort of g-out gulley. Plus, there is no easy way to get a DH/FR bike back there other than ride it through the XC trail. MB MAY have other elevated areas the they might like to develop. I don't know any of the key people there, but I'd be happy to join the conversation if/when you do.

Thanks
    Is the cut you are talking about start at the top of the climb on the pinnacle side?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by outman View Post
    Is the cut you are talking about start at the top of the climb on the pinnacle side?
    Yes.

Thanks
    Yeah, I'll send you a message if im available

Thanks
    You are not dampening my enthusiasm at all! I never even knew there was a dh line at hammy. It is true at MB though, I am working on riding it a few more times and making some small mental references if anything could be done. This isn't about just adding stuff to it. I want to finish it up a bit too. it's gettin a little grassy. I can't even afford a Dh bike anyway. I have a trek dirt jumper hardtail that has a downward posture and beefy frame.

Thanks
    Go check it out for sure, but there are probably better places that are more accessible to make some fun runs out there.

Thanks
    The DH at Montgomery Bell is full of speed squashing turns, non-flow and then a screaming straight down rutted out fall line run into a sort of g-out gulley.

Most fun run out there......

Thanks
    The DH at Montgomery Bell is full of speed squashing turns, non-flow and then a screaming straight down rutted out fall line run into a sort of g-out gulley.

and poison ivy. 8)
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

Thanks
    What?! My standpoint is that TTC and WR are the best places to DH around here. Would be nice to have something in town, but there is no elevation for it. However, I'm happy to help build a 'DH line' at HC just for kicks and spice up the trail.

Middle TN Gravity Pics / Vids

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

Thanks
    change of plans! What is this thing at hammy you are talking about? Requiem look at the downhill freeride in mid tn forum you said that may work. TTC and WR are still cool. Darryll said that there is a place in the future for dirt jumps etc. in TN. He said we need to build the funding. I met the guys who built Percy Warner, and they said they build berms, tabletops,etc.

Thanks
    change of plans! What is this thing at hammy you are talking about? Requiem look at the downhill freeride in mid tn forum you said that may work. TTC and WR are still cool. Darryll said that there is a place in the future for dirt jumps etc. in TN. He said we need to build the funding. I met the guys who built Percy Warner, and they said they build berms, tabletops,etc.
    This?

Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    Grab a shovel and build something in your backyard if you want it that bad. There are jumps/drops on all the local trails, not to mention the unmentionable trail ... And TTC and WR has a lot to offer in the way of DH. The elevation is just not here for it.
    This?

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

IMBA_SORBA is offline Show your Trail Love & Join/Renew...We can't go on without you!
    IMBA-SORBA Middle TN is a 501 c3 non for profit volunteer supported organization, who's mission is to advocate mountain biking and sustainable mountai
    Thanks

This is an area that we have discussed with MB rangers that must be corrected, made more sustainable but definitely make it more FUN! Perhaps, corrected line, fast flowy burms that help hold speed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMBA_SORBA View Post
    This is an area that we have discussed with MB rangers that must be corrected, made more sustainable but definitely make it more FUN! Perhaps, corrected line, fast flowy burms that help hold speed.
    I wish that it would not be changed. It is a very unique trail for this area. To me, that's what makes it fun. Rocky and rooted, a couple of off camber corners and many speed changes. Changing it to be fast and flowing would make it just another tail.

Thanks
    I wish that it would not be changed. It is a very unique trail for this area. To me, that's what makes it fun. Rocky and rooted, a couple of off camber corners and many speed changes. Changing it to be fast and flowing would make it just another tail.
    I'm sure that input can be accommodated but it sounds like the changes don't have anything to do with the style of the trail, necessarily. I think the point was sustainability, which can be achieved with many different styles of trail, not just fast and flowing. It's an opportunity for you to come out, and enter discussions about what can be done to meet the sustainability needs, while keeping the character of the trail how you like. If a consensus can be reached, and people can chip in and make the changes happen, you just might end up with a trail you like even better than what's already there.

29. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I'm sure that input can be accommodated but it sounds like the changes don't have anything to do with the style of the trail, necessarily. I think the point was sustainability, which can be achieved with many different styles of trail, not just fast and flowing. It's an opportunity for you to come out, and enter discussions about what can be done to meet the sustainability needs, while keeping the character of the trail how you like. If a consensus can be reached, and people can chip in and make the changes happen, you just might end up with a trail you like even better than what's already there.
    I have seen it happen in other areas.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I have seen it happen in other areas.
    From past experience in this area I will be disappointed, it will be dumb down and less technical. Must flow, smooth and take as much of fall line out as possible. Make it like the rest of the trail system. It must conform. To have something different, well we can't have that.

Thanks
    to Requiem,no. look at the near bottom of page two on downhill freeride in mid tn. you said me three to agree to maybe fix up dh at mb

Thanks
    im not talking about smoothing it, I'm talking about clearing some of the over grown parts etc. re clear.

Thanks
    to Requiem,no. look at the near bottom of page two on downhill freeride in mid tn. you said me three to agree to maybe fix up dh at mb
    Yep, I said I agree to help build a line at HC, not MB. Sorry if that was unclear.

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

Thanks
    no prob! What is this dh line at Hammy?

Thanks
    no prob! What is this dh line at Hammy?
    Don't know - read back in the thread who brought the idea up.

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

Thanks

More fun than the roller coaster section on yellow? Hey, we all have our favorite spots. That is why I was recommending using som elevation somewhere else at MB. Getting back to the Green "DH" trail (why it's called a dh trail I will never know) would not be easy on a bike that you would want to use on a real dh/flow/PBR trail.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    More fun than the roller coaster section on yellow? Hey, we all have our favorite spots. That is why I was recommending using som elevation somewhere else at MB. Getting back to the Green "DH" trail (why it's called a dh trail I will never know) would not be easy on a bike that you would want to use on a real dh/flow/PBR trail.
    Yes I do enjoy the yellow trail but I look forward to riding the Green Dh trail. Yes, I do agree with you, to build a dh trail there needs to be more elevation that can be found in this trail. No I do not know why it is called a dh trail. Might I suggest a name change. Monty Python would be good. Ref: 1971 movie "And Now for Something Completely Different".
    Last edited by outman; 09-23-2013 at 03:00 PM.

39. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to outman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    True

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    There is a moguls section after Tommy's that all but one trail has grown up. It is more DH like but pretty short. It wouldnt take much work to open this section back up and since it is already built there and I dont think park approval is required since the trails already exist they just need to be cleared and cleaned up. I am one of the maintainers out there and we can meet up out there one day and take a look at that section. The old (one-way) Downhill does need a little bit of work in terms of maintenance as it sits now but not a lot.

As far a building new trails there is a whole bureaucratic process because it is a state park. For example at the end of them building yellow/green they wanted to add more trail in the big empty area just south of the boundary line yellow trail. Someone came in from the state to do an evaluation on the impact to the forrest and what not and said no to the trail, this is after they already built some 10mi of new trails. Thus there is a big empty space on the map where trail could be but is not.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
    There is a moguls section after Tommy's that all but one trail has grown up. It is more DH like but pretty short. It wouldnt take much work to open this section back up and since it is already built there and I dont think park approval is required since the trails already exist they just need to be cleared and cleaned up. I am one of the maintainers out there and we can meet up out there one day and take a look at that section. The old (one-way) Downhill does need a little bit of work in terms of maintenance as it sits now but not a lot.

As far a building new trails there is a whole bureaucratic process because it is a state park. For example at the end of them building yellow/green they wanted to add more trail in the big empty area just south of the boundary line yellow trail. Someone came in from the state to do an evaluation on the impact to the forrest and what not and said no to the trail, this is after they already built some 10mi of new trails. Thus there is a big empty space on the map where trail could be but is not.
    Never done the moguls. Sounds fun! I'm in to fix up some of the old trails. No new trail though

Thanks
    Last edited by outman; 10-04-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Thread Information