Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Percy Warner Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts

Percy Warner Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Use this thread to up date trail conditions at PW

Nashville Weather

Wahooo....Important to know that the ONLY open entrance and ONLY mountain bike parking is at the temporary trailhead near Cheekwood at Temp golf trailer. Look for signs and narrow gravel drive to trail map. If you fat tire commute (you rule) please avoid Deepwell entrance as Music City Bikeway connector is under construction.

As always be courteous to our other park users as they may join us for a ride some day soon.

We are producing a topo version but also like the map used on the temp kiosk. Here is an edited version for print from our trail guide:

click to link to printable pdf....

pw map letter size.jpg
    here is the link to the pdf map.... http://sorbamidtn.org/trails/pw_map_letter3.pdf
    There is a sign at the temporary trailhead with the trail map, including directions. To clarify earlier posts on the Percy Warner thread:

The Boulevard connector trail that connects everything is 2-way traffic. Keep that in mind because in places you can FLY on it. I'm hoping we get a few warning signs in key locations about that. The first part (from the trailhead) of the green "toybox" loop is also 2-way traffic. It is the most family-friendly trail and can be traveled in both directions. The second, longer loop on toybox hill is one way, as are ALL OTHER trails. It has a little more climbing and faster downhill, so the first section is nice to have a bailout for younger kids or completely novice adults. All blue and black trails are one-way only.

The exit points to one-way trails are all labeled with "Wrong way" signs.

Edit: P.S. (since this is a conditions thread) - the trail is SO GOOD right now. I hope the rain stays away because it is perfect. It is very hard to believe this trail is brand new. Singletracks did an amazing job.

2. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts

So the Trial is officially open. This is a big day in Nashville Mountain Biking history. Go out and start enjoying the trail.

This thread will not be a discussion thread. Post only trail conditions. All other subjects will be deleted.

4. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks
    how wishful am i in wondering if percy will be rideable by sun-mon if warm weather keeps up?

been itching to get on the mountain bike quite badly lately. may have to make an AEDC run.
    2012 Tallboy AL
    2012 Felt 55x
    2015 Ridley Orion

Thanks

Based on my backyard, no

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    If we are basing this on backyards, then it should be sweet since mine is dry!

Thanks
    I told Darryl I'd get in and assess damage in PWP this afternoon and was able to hike everything down towards Deep Wells, which would be the "rocky top" climb and black/blue descents, the Wabash loops, and the trunk trail/Boulevard about halfway.

Surprisingly, only one large tree fell, and it is propped up by another that caught it, but overhanging the Boulevard at one of the bridges. It's kind of scary to go under. I sent Darryl a photo and he thinks they might pull it down safely. There is some other smaller stuff down on humdinger that will probably need a handsaw to clear.

The trail itself is an absolute mess. Seriously, with weather like today it is tempting to second guess the closure and give it a try, but don't. PWP is hosed. If you are familiar with the white hiking trail, it's like that. It would not be fun at all to ride. There are too many rutted out, standing water spots to count. Small parts of the Wabash trails are starting to dry, but there is a long way to go. There are some fresh tracks and ruts from today, but very few. I think maybe a couple of riders were trying it out. I didn't see anyone from 4-5:30. My shoes were covered, I mean COVERED in mud just from walking. It's soft 3-4 inches deep in many places.

My view is to feel very lucky that we got to ride for so long before it cold. At this point, I'm not planning on actually riding there again for another month. It's going to take a lot of work to make it right.

I'm going to get out in the morning and hike the western half of the trail and see what's going on there. With all the trees down in the rest of the park, I'll be surprised if we don't have more down somewhere on Hookman.
    Graham

'08 Specialized Epic Comp
    '00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

9. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to graham722 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    The trails were not dry before all of the rain/snow/ice on Sunday. So they are a mess now since ice was still falling off of some trees yesterday. MB is still closed and parts of it were still wet today.

I would not count on PW being open anytime soon. People continue to ride and make a mess out of it. Sections need to be fixed due to poor drainage or winter springs but that cant be done until the trails dry out. Thanks Graham for checking it out. At least there is not a ton of damage from ice bringing down trees.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    I will answer this question because I ride on the roads there a lot, from home. I ride the trails when they are OPEN. When I am riding the PWP pavement I can see the hiking and horse trails in several spots. I also know how the trails might be by how dry the roads are in places that normally collect water. This is the wettest I have seen it this winter a week after a rain. The snow and ice and rain and then the freeze then thaw are doing a number on the park. There were loads of places where the park had to cut fallen trees off the road. Why? The ground is so wet the trees are saying timber. If we have sun and wind and no more f'n rain, my guess would be that the trails might be dry by later next week or weekend. If we get more rain then all bets are off. My yard is still saturated and it gets direct sun. Go to Hickman county and ride the gravel roads if you gotta have dirt. I did my long ride there last Sunday and they were perfect. I am heading out of Nashville tomorrow after work so I can get a good long ride in on Sunday on some trails and dirt roads. Be patient. Heck, the people that decide open or closed want to be out there riding also. You think Austin, Darryl or anyone else likes for the trails to be closed? No way.
    I am Facebook challenged.

12. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    If we are basing this on backyards, then it should be sweet since mine is dry!
    Very close to the park. Almost nothing happened today as far drying goes. Went from standing water to a bit less standing water.

14. The following user says "Thank You" to Arnette for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnette View Post
    Very close to the park. Almost nothing happened today as far drying goes. Went from standing water to a bit less standing water.
    -Austin

Thanks
    Chickasaw is supposed to be super nice today! Don't fight the power! Just go to Chickasaw.

17. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    ...or Defeated Creek. It's sweet.

Gary

19. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Right now seems like the time to be getting out there and remedying the trail rather than just waiting another month or two for it to be 'rideable' again.
    Work should be done to enable the trail to tolerate the wetness better.
    Does ongoing trail maintenance fall to Sorba? Or to anyone that wants to help (with metro coordination)?

maybe this topic has already been beat to death, I'm sure I'm not the first one to think about it....I just haven't been looking in to the trail and all issues pertaining since last fall. So apologies in that case.

21. The following user says "Thank You" to jyeager for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yes this is the time to do it once the soil dries out. The problem areas take longer to dry out and were still wet yesterday afternoon. Going to try to get the trails open today/tomorrow so riders can beat down the ruts created over the winter. Most of the still wet/mushy areas are due to damage from riding while wet. Mainly due to the trails being open when thawing and riders not leaving on their own when the trails became wet. There are only 2-3 places where water is leaching into the trails and will require more work to correct.

Sorba is responsible for coordinating maintenance with Metro Parks. Will have information soon on work days to fix any larger issues.
    -Austin

Thanks
    Well, at least the ruts aren't "irreparable" And I'm not sure how dry it needs to be to take a trail tool and nick out some spots holding water. And by "trail tool" I don't mean any Sorba members, I mean a Pulaski or Mattocks.

Thanks
    Well I guess I spoke too soon with the schedule. Got back from there about an hour ago and parts are ok and other parts are too wet. Was sliding down a few of the 180 climbs to Rocky top. Basically anything facing north is still too wet. Unfortunately all of the trails have sections on north facing slopes out there. My guess is water is wicking up from below as it is being dried by the temperatures. But those sides get little sun this time of year still so it is taking much longer to dry. Until the trees wake up and start to pull moisture from the ground I fear these will remain too wet for sometime.

Sadly the downhill side of hop project has standing water due to rutting from people riding while closed. Humdinger is in a little better shape so are the flow trails but again getting to those sections are still too wet. Hookman is still too wet on the north side. Didnt check toybox.
    -Austin

Thanks
    It is amazing how long north facing slopes will hold water and stay wet this time of year. As strong as the sun seems when you're out in the open or on a southern exposure, anything facing north is basically still in the shade, and you can feel the air temperature drop on north slopes.

It's a sad commentary that we have rutted out places holding water that are only holding water because they're rutted out, but this is what riding in conditions that damages trails results in. Those being patient, regardless of how edgy you are ...much respect, and thanks. I've spent a lot more time on pavement the past couple months than I'd like to. In another month, we should be into a period where things are open more than closed.

26. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Sorba just posted PW partially open!!!

Hookman, Wabash, Toybox and BLVD trunk trail are FAIR condition and OPEN! All advanced trails, Rocky Top, Hop Project and Humdinger are ALL CLOSED. Please report any concerns. Ride On!

28. The following user says "Thank You" to dirtdog36 for this useful post:

Thanks
    STAY OFF of Hop Proj, Humdinger & Rockytop. The ascents are ok but the descending sections are still very wet in places. DO NOT RIDE THOSE SECTIONS. There are barricades up, please heed them.

Big tree down on the first section of Toybox. You can ride in from the bailout exit just past the entrance to hookman. The rest of toybox is in ok shape. Hookman has 2 leaners, one on the ascent the other on the descent. First one is not passable, second you can duck under. Will get those this weekend.

Couple of minor issues on the connector to north and south. Be careful on the rutted sections, they are dry but can be dangerous. Need riders to knock these down.

Hookman and parts of the rest of the trails do still have some moisture and are soft but you should not be picking up any thing on your tires. We need riders to pack in the trails because of the heaving from the past few months. It may feel like you are slipping a bit that is because the tread is so loose. Ride it and pack it back down.
    Last edited by AustinB; 03-13-2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Stupid phone auto-complete... ugh
    -Austin

30. The following 8 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks

This trail needs to be ridden badly more than anything. Everything is super soft. Toybox is like riding on soft sand and the gravel near the river bed on the boulevard is skid city. Parts of hookman are under a ton of leaves with super soft switch backs.

Needs to be packed ASAP

32. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Arnette for this useful post:

Thanks
    This trail needs to be ridden badly more than anything. Everything is super soft. Toybox is like riding on soft sand and the gravel near the river bed on the boulevard is skid city. Parts of hookman are under a ton of leaves with super soft switch backs.

Needs to be packed ASAP
    Amen, mother nature has reclaimed much of this trail
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Thanks
    One of my favorite trails, can't wait till its back in shape.

Thanks
    Where are all these ruts people are talking about? Trail looked pretty buff on Saturday. Kids loved it!

36. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Where are all these ruts people are talking about? Trail looked pretty buff on Saturday. Kids loved it!
    Its pretty neat what mostly dry soil and a ton of riders will do for a trail. The hard part this time of year is getting it dry enough to have people pack down the ruts and not make new ones. The last freeze we had helped a lot to reset a lot of the bad spots and people stayed off of the trails.

Some before and after photos from a few weeks ago and then this afternoon of various sections. My guess is by the time you rode most of the ruts had already been run over a few hundred times. Still some minor work needed but the bad spots have come a long way since 2 weeks ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AustinB; 03-18-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: More images
    -Austin

38. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    As to the trail status it will remain closed for now. Will check again tomorrow and it is looking promising but it did not get as warm today or have as much sun as expected. Hopefully Hop and Humdinger will be in good enough shape to open as well.
    -Austin

40. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have a feeling the ruts are going to get packed down and disappear.

42. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    PW is good. Go get some while it is nice. Toy box and the climb up to the flow trails are soft and need packing so go ride!

Thanks

There's a couple low hanging trees on Hookman that probably need to be cut. Both of them are small, could get them easy with a hand saw. I'd be happy to do it tomorrow unless the powers that be should do the work.

45. The following user says "Thank You" to commodoremd for this useful post:

Thanks
    It was nice to finally get out there tonight. Hookman Hill was soft and felt slow, it really needs some tires on it. The Boulevard was dry in many places with a few wet spots. If you are looking for a fast trail right now, this is not for you. I was hyped up a little too much, too many other trails are nicely packed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by commodoremd View Post
    There's a couple low hanging trees on Hookman that probably need to be cut. Both of them are small, could get them easy with a hand saw. I'd be happy to do it tomorrow unless the powers that be should do the work.
    I got the one on Hookman on the climbing side that was causing people to ride off of the tread. There is a tree on toybox just after the first berm turn on your way down. Will require a chain saw.

Go ride, need wheels to pack in trail. Hop, Humdinger and Rocky Top will remain closed. Water feeding into the trails in too many places keeping them wet.
    -Austin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidtn View Post
    It was nice to finally get out there tonight. Hookman Hill was soft and felt slow, it really needs some tires on it. The Boulevard was dry in many places with a few wet spots. If you are looking for a fast trail right now, this is not for you. I was hyped up a little too much, too many other trails are nicely packed.
    It was way better than a week ago.

Thanks
    Very good and dry late afternoon. Got the other leaner on Hookman. Now, I hope they miss the rain forecast for this trail and for the race at Chickasaw.

50. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Great conditions tonight! The trail was much dryer than just 24 hours prior. Thanks Robert for clearing the leaner. My bike was cleaner when I finished, go figure.

52. The following user says "Thank You" to davidtn for this useful post:

Thanks
    If you are on the fence about riding on Saturday vs Sunday I would highly suggest going on Saturday. It is predicted to rain Sunday morning so the trails will likely close. Tell your friends, get some tires out there to keep packing the tread in. The more packed in the tread the quicker it will recover from rainfall.
    -Austin

54. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks

Headed out there today! Are we still keeping the rocky top area closed?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by commodoremd View Post
    Headed out there today! Are we still keeping the rocky top area closed?
    Yes. Too much moisture still. Hopefully will get out there today to fix some of the problem areas.
    -Austin

57. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks

Cleared the tree on the Toybox descent. The trail was great today!

59. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to commodoremd for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trail was in great shape on 3/23. Hope it will stay dry and let the closed trail dry out. Also, big thanks to Austin for checking on this trail and closing and opening it. It's a thankless task but I appreciate all he does.

61. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yeah, rode out there yesterday, Trail is in great shape. Toybox has to be the most under utilized and UN-appreciated trail at PW. It's like no one rides it!

Oh yeah and thanks Austin! Appreciate your work out there.

63. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the praise Robert but it is not just me. We have some others that help such as Graham and Darryl that keep an eye out as well. Would also like to thank Mark and Josh for the help on Saturday looking over Humdinger and Hop Project and helping to fix some wet areas, still more need to be fixed. Unfortunately a few of those areas are still being fed water keeping them wet. Have to wait to fix them.

I would also like to thank everyone for spreading the word about not riding the trails while they were closed. I noticed a huge difference from December to March in terms of riding while closed. Since everyone stayed off of the trails while they were closed over the last few weeks the trails were able to recover naturally which is also faster than fixing them by hand. Now that the trails are getting packed back down they will recover much quicker from rainfall.
    Last edited by AustinB; 03-24-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    -Austin

65. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    The difference may have been that it was cold. As far as them recovering naturally...

Thanks
    Yeah, rode out there yesterday, Trail is in great shape. Toybox has to be the most under utilized and UN-appreciated trail at PW. It's like no one rides it!

Oh yeah and thanks Austin! Appreciate your work out there.
    Well I ride it a lot when I am out there and I am even trying the shaved log skinnys. It it is getting ridden in a lot better.

Thanks
    If the wet areas are that bad on the advanced trails, are they isolated and concentrated enough where a french drain under the trail or a dry well might work?

Like a good boy I have not been out there so I have no idea what the problem areas are.

Thanks
    If the wet areas are that bad on the advanced trails, are they isolated and concentrated enough where a french drain under the trail or a dry well might work?
    For the few areas where the water goes across the trail that will work. Actually just raising the grade would help a lot. Some of the issues are due to soil erosion, compaction, etc... so the water is just hanging out in a pool. One part the water is actually entering a banked curve and keeping the whole curve wet. Will require a different solution such as amending the soil with gravel so it will drain better. One of the guys from Single Track Trails is in town and is going to check it out so hopefully we can get some good longterm fixes planned out. Dont want those sections to become an on going issue.

Just need them to mostly dry out so we can fix them. We hope to have a work day or two in April with the machine before it heads back to Cane Ridge.
    -Austin

Thanks
    Even the entrance to the black diamond trail which takes you to Hop and Humdinger are mucky. I was out there today and just checked the entrance to those trails. Mud city. The trails that are open are dry and fast and nice. Go ride them before the you know what comes back on Thursday night. It rhymes with pain and it is just that, a pain.
    Last edited by Robert; 03-26-2014 at 07:25 PM.

71. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Awesome shape still out there. Back side is still closed because of wet sections. They are better but too wet to fix. If you are on the fence with riding I would ride today or before the rain gets here. Depending on the amount of rain the trails may close.

Greg and Scott from Single Track Trails stopped by to ride the trails around lunch today and offered some advice on the problems areas in the closed sections. Per their advice we are probably going to let those sections dry so they can be buffed but wont do much else other than some armoring around the built elements. Once that is done we will open them back up to get some traffic on them but no date on that yet. Mainly depends on the weather.
    -Austin

73. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks

It's so good out there I'm torn between complaining about the death wish deer or the death wish gravel.....

75. The following user says "Thank You" to Arnette for this useful post:

Thanks
    It's so good out there I'm torn between complaining about the death wish deer or the death wish gravel.....
    are you referring to the large buck out there? i had a few run ins with him in the fall on the green trail.
    2012 Tallboy AL
    2012 Felt 55x
    2015 Ridley Orion

Thanks
    Saw a huge wild turkey today while checking the trail. Put up its tail feathers and everything, was pretty neat but it ran off before I could snap a photo.

Trail is in pretty good shape even with all of the rain except for a few known spots. Will check again tomorrow before lunch and try to open the same trails as before. I fear Humdinger and Hop will be in worse shape than before the rain.
    -Austin

78. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    I hear it's being renamed the "Slop Project."

Thread Information