Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Percy Warner Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    are hookman/toybox the trails that have been staying open? would like to try and get out there later today.
    2012 Tallboy AL
    2012 Felt 55x
    2015 Ridley Orion

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trav16 View Post
    are hookman/toybox the trails that have been staying open? would like to try and get out there later today.
    yes.

Basically all of the trails but the climb up rocky top and the two descents off of rocky top

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    So are those trails open as of now? Still show closed on the site... also was gonna try and get out there today if status changed.
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Still closed. Headed out there shortly to see how they are drying.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

5. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trav16 View Post
    are you referring to the large buck out there? i had a few run ins with him in the fall on the green trail.
    I haven't seen the large buck. There is a group 3-4 does a a fawn that run around and refuse to run off until the last minute.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanthelyon View Post
    So are those trails open as of now? Still show closed on the site... also was gonna try and get out there today if status changed.
    sorry if that was confusing I was trying to answer trav16's question and I made the assumption that he was referencing Austin's post about what would probably be open once he opened it up...

Thanks
    All but hop project, humdinger and rocky top open. Let us know of any damaged spots.
    -Austin

9. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    probably going tomorrow around 3:00 if anyone wants to join

Thanks
    Wanted to note that there are a good number of wet and slick spots still. Watch your speed on the fast sections on Hookman as some wet spots are covered up. Most of the others are in the open. They will dry on their own probably tomorrow but if you dont like getting a little mud on your bike then you may want to wait a few days before riding.

Couple wet spots on some climbs so be ready to walk a couple of places until they dry. Otherwise trails are in good shape overall.
    -Austin

12. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    and they were getting drier as night approached. If we can not get any rain tonight or tomorrow, they should be tacky and fast by noon tomorrow, imho.
    I am Facebook challenged.

14. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    I was the last one there tonight. Toybox was in great shape with the exception of the lowest area (non-gravel) near the new parking lot, muddy areas up to a few inches deep. The rest was tacky to dry. Hookman was drying; however, my bike was fairly muddy. It should be great tomorrow afternoon!

Look out for the deer, I missed a fawn by 5 feet going down Hookman!

16. The following user says "Thank You" to davidtn for this useful post:

Thanks

Percy Warner Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

@dirtdog36, unless something comes up I'll probably be out there about that time as well. White Nissan SUV with a bike rack on top.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by commodoremd View Post
    @dirtdog36, unless something comes up I'll probably be out there about that time as well. White Nissan SUV with a bike rack on top.
    Sounds good. If anyone else wants to join shoot me a PM and I will give you my cell.

I will plan on being at the trail head at 3:00. I will be riding over from the house so if you don't see a car don't be surprised. Silver Specialized Epic... I will hang out a trail head until about 3:10pm (as long as nothing work wise comes up)

DCD

Thanks
    Rode my rigid 1x9 with cross tires, from home, to the trail, rode all that was open and back home. It was fun but a little slower and I walked the sloppy areas on the trunk trail with skinny tires. Humdinger, I mean Hookman, (thanks Austin), was so much different but I had a lot of fun and a good ride. Now, let the you know what begin falling from the sky again. Rats.
    Last edited by Robert; 04-03-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Rode my rigid 1x9 with cross tires, from home, to the trail, rode all that was open and back home. It was fun but a little slower and I walked the sloppy areas on the trunk trail with skinny tires. Humdinger was so much different but I had a lot of fun and a good ride. Now, let the you know what begin falling from the sky again. Rats.
    Err... If you rode humdinger you would have to walk a lot of it. Did you mean Wabash?
    -Austin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
    Err... If you rode humdinger you would have to walk a lot of it. Did you mean Wabash?
    I meant Hookman. What a stupid I am. I knew it started with an H. Thanks Austin.

I edited it in my original post and gave credit to my editor.
    Last edited by Robert; 04-03-2014 at 05:26 AM.

22. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Trail is drying well since all of the riders have been packing in the soil. Still closed until at least tomorrow. Going to give it a little more time to dry out in the bad spots especially on Hookman. Humdinger, Hop/Slop Project, Rocky Top will likely remain closed. Just cant seem to get those descents to dry out.

Look for an update after lunch on trail status. More rain on Sunday night expected, ugh!
    -Austin

24. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Any chance there was a warranty on the trail so the singletrack guys would come and fix some of these areas that aren't working out?!! Sounds like they gave you some advice on what to do but maybe they should do some of the work.

I haven't been out since the beginning of December, how did the berms and jumps on the blue jump trails fare through the winter? Are they eroded down a ton or did they survive pretty good? Thanks!

26. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    Any chance there was a warranty on the trail so the singletrack guys would come and fix some of these areas that aren't working out?!! Sounds like they gave you some advice on what to do but maybe they should do some of the work.

I haven't been out since the beginning of December, how did the berms and jumps on the blue jump trails fare through the winter? Are they eroded down a ton or did they survive pretty good? Thanks!

28. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks

On everything except the RT/Hop project/humdinger trails, the long term impact has been pretty minimal in my opinion. The berms and jumps are pretty much what they were before. The other trails have been closed so I don't know about them. I think the second bermed turn going down hop project got eaten up a bit and may need work. However there was some discussion before that it was a bit shallow so maybe that's not a bad thing.

This is a pic of the wide berm on the right flow trail. Got back to being pretty smooth with the good weather!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396791446.835280.jpg

30. The following user says "Thank You" to commodoremd for this useful post:

Thanks

I am unsure about warranties and what not. I think the local contractor here that brought in STT has some kind of warranty but they are a general contractor, not a trail building company. Will bring this up with Darryl since he ran point on the Warner stuff last year.

Most of the built dirt elements survived pretty well. A few of the smaller humps on Wabash (both sides) got wore down a little. Probably from settling and wheel dragging. Should be simple to fix. The main issue with Hop and Humdinger is all of the water seeping out of the ground. Everything else on those trails is fine, they are just wet on the descents and in the low spots in the rollers. Low spots need to be cleaned out and armoring around the jumps and platforms needs to be done so the take offs stay firm.
    -Austin

32. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    I think even if there is a warranty on the work. The contractor could argue that it wasn't the workmanship but the natural deterioration on top of excessive wear from "trail closed riders". It's a typical trail, every season exposes new problems. If it would have been a mild and dry winter we wouldn't have these particular trouble spots just different ones.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

Thanks
    Trails remain closed. Hookman has too many wet sections. Rest of the trails are ok for the most part, just want to let them stiffen up before re-opening. With the rain expected and temps this week looking to shoot for Tues/Wed to re-open but that depends on the amount of rain.
    -Austin

35. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Looks like PW partially open according to Sorba. I am going to try and be there around 3:30 - 4:00 if anyone is up for a ride...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog36 View Post
    Looks like PW partially open according to Sorba. I am going to try and be there around 3:30 - 4:00 if anyone is up for a ride...
    Me too. Probably will be closer to 4. Red Santa Cruz, green shorts.

Thanks
    Parts have standing water puddles but they are sparse. Watch your speed on wabash, there are 2 puddles/slick spots on each leg that are in less than ideal locations.

Climb on Hookman is still a mess so you may be walking that. Also the bad spot on the connector after the exit from Hookman is now approaching 30 ft long as is just a muddy as ever. Watch out. If you dont want to get your bike muddy then dont ride for a few days.

Hop, Top and Humdinger remain closed. Also the Deep wells entrance is open. Watch where you park, picnic areas are reserved areas so park at your own risk.
    -Austin

Thanks

Based on Austin's report above it sounds to me like the whole trail might as well be closed.

Thanks
    Based on Austin's report above it sounds to me like the whole trail might as well be closed.
    I wouldn't go that far M. I rode it yesterday and and there are only a few spots that are nasty. The blue flow trails are in surprisingly good shape, and most of the features are good to go from last season. I think there was a little wet on one of them. The dips that are soft on wabash are a little dangerous. At the speed I was moving, had I not wheelied through them, I probably would have ate it hard.

The thing that really surprised me was how much damage to the gravel climb on the trunk trail happened with the rain last week. There are tons of little canyons that have washed through the trail. It's made that section even more treacherous.

I took a look at the advanced stuff from above on the road, the bottom of black, and the entrance to Rocky Top. It's peanut buttery mess over there. I wouldn't ride that section if someone paid me.

41. The following user says "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Thanks
    Of the open trails there are only about 10 bad spots/sections in about 7 miles of trail, which is not bad at all. These bad areas are going to show themselves over time since the trails are so new. The main priority this spring is to keep the trails open as much as possible so we can get them worn in better. The more hard packed the trails the quicker they dry. There will be some muddy spots until they dry out enough to be fixed. Same thing we are battling on Humdinger & Hop Project.

I agree with the gravel damage, those things are dangerous. The issue is the sheer amount of water that last big rain brought, it was a lot of water. The main thing now is waiting for everything to dry out enough so plans for fixing problems and some changes by Parks can be done. We can regrade the gravel climb a bit and divert some of the water. A few spots may require some drainage pipe to prevent that kind of washing out we had.
    -Austin

43. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Well, I rode my bike with cross tires on it from home and did two laps on Hookman on the 10th and rode my SS this evening and no problem either time. I think Austin was just pointing out the bad spots and they are there but drying out. Go ride it, if it will stay dry.

45. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Currently raining out in West Nashville. Will see how much falls and update the status as needed.
    -Austin

Thanks
    Anyone ride today? The trail has to be dry, right?

Thanks
    90% of what is open is in great shape minus 1 or 2 spots. One bad spot on blvd we are waiting to dry out to fix. Water actively draining from up slope into the trail. Rest should be fine. Let us know of any bad spots.

Hop, Humdinger and Rocky remain closed. They are better on the descent, will check on them tomorrow and see if they can be opened. Would like to get people on them before it rains again.
    -Austin

49. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Anyone ride today? The trail has to be dry, right?
    I rode there Thursday early evening. I kept looping Hookman because that mucky spot to get to the other side is very sloppy. Hookman had only two wet places and Toybox was basically dry. I just kept making loops of those trails because I am kind of sick in that way and I rode from home to the trails. My bike wasn't too bad after but I did clean it up in about 10 minutes. Go ride here or somewhere before we get more rain. You know, April Showers.

51. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    So is the consensus to just ride this trail 6 months out of the year or are we going to fix these trouble spots? It would seem to me that some elevated structure such as what was done at Lock 4 are in order. I don't think this is STTs fault per se (though I am amazed that anyone signed off with the amount of uncut staubs and stumps along the trail) So a more permanent solution should be found.

53. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    So is the consensus to just ride this trail 6 months out of the year or are we going to fix these trouble spots? It would seem to me that some elevated structure such as what was done at Lock 4 are in order. I don't think this is STTs fault per se (though I am amazed that anyone signed off with the amount of uncut staubs and stumps along the trail) So a more permanent solution should be found.
    Plans are in the works, waiting on the weather to behave long enough to do something. Just as those problem spots start to dry out to be able to work them it rains again. First couple of years of a trail is always a battle, no idea on what problems are going to show up. Places you thought would be fine are all mushy and wet and other places that you thought would be problems are bone dry.
    -Austin

55. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'd say 99% of the trail is good today. There's about a 30 foot section of really nasty mud on Blvd (I think). I think the only way to fix that section is a bridge or a lot of large rocks. Other than that it was great!

Austin, how much would Pressure Treated wood cost?

Edit: Add pic.
    Last edited by wmac; 04-19-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks
    In great shape except the one big 'sippy hole. Sticky and fast.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    I'd say 99% of the trail is good today. There's about a 30 foot section of really nasty mud on Blvd (I think). I think the only way to fix that section is a bridge or a lot of large rocks. Other than that it was great!

Austin, how much would Pressure Treated wood cost?

Edit: Add pic.
    It's not expensive. Usually we can get it donated but since this is an issue from the start it should fall under Parks' budget for building the trails. We have talked about elevated section, rollers, geo tiles and some others. Still kicking around ideas. Since it wont dry (and rains like every 7 days) we may have to bring in the machine, scrape out all of the wet mush and drop in some gravel just so it will stabilize the soil. Then we can easily build rollers or a boardwalk on top will have a place underneath for the water to seep past. It is not a lot of water flowing it just wont stop flowing.

I believe Darryl is in talks with Parks about this and some other spots as well. Have to get approval from Parks to do any changes like adding lumber and what not.
    -Austin

59. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    It could be permanently fixed with stone. I've built many a construction road for vehicles and heavy equipment. Access would be an issue. Getting the stone there could do more damage than what's already there. A bridge safe enough for two-way traffic would be significant.

Is Rocky Top open?
    Last edited by homer; 04-20-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Rocky Top after-thought.

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    It could be permanently fixed with stone. I've built many a construction road for vehicles and heavy equipment. Access would be an issue. Getting the stone there could do more damage than what's already there. A bridge safe enough for two-way traffic would be significant.

Is Rocky Top open?
    As dry as the soil is up until there it wouldnt be too much damage from the sk or other walk behind. Parks also has a small gator with a dump bed so we may have them shuttle in a few loads for us.

Rocky is still closed :(. Maybe able to open tomorrow. Same issue affecting this bad section on blvd is affecting a large section of the downhill side of Hop and in a few places around the built elements on Humdinger.
    -Austin

62. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    I will throat punch anyone I see braking on berms, the large berm on one of the flow tails is super soft in the middle from it.

Other than that beware of the big ass turkey on the backside of hookman....

64. The following user says "Thank You" to Arnette for this useful post:

Thanks
    Sweet bro! That will be sick! You teach 'em!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnette View Post
    I will throat punch anyone I see braking on berms, the large berm on one of the flow tails is super soft in the middle from it.

Other than that beware of the big ass turkey on the backside of hookman....
    Lots of big a** Turkeys on Hookman and big deer also. Also, it seems, that if you punched someone with your throat that would hurt you? Hmmmm and LMAO

Thanks
    Been trying to get a photo of that huge male turkey running around north side of hookman. He always waddles off before I can get my phone out.

On a serious note, if you need to bleed speed on the flow trails please use your front brake. Only use rear if you absolutely have to. Will keep the berms from turning into canoes.
    -Austin

Thanks
    Yeah, or as a revealing thought on the fastest way through something - brake BEFORE you get to the turns. The fastest way to get through a turn is slow in and fast out. Braking in the middle of a turn is the absolute worst place you can brake in terms of control, and the worst thing for the trail as well, most likely to lead to skidding.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
    Been trying to get a photo of that huge male turkey running around north side of hookman. He always waddles off before I can get my phone out.
    Ran into the big boy turkey on Easter. Right on the trail, flaring at a female. Had to hit the brakes cause he could care less about me coming up on him. Bloody HUGE. Pic not great, as he wobbled into the forest some before I could get the shot. But it shows the size...Bloody Huge Male Turkey.jpg
    2014 Niner RIP 9 - Licorice Black
    2011 Niner Jet 9 - Glow in the dark Raw
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 30

Thanks
    Ha that thing is huge! I have not seen it yet but I have seen the two massive deer on hookman. They must be getting used to us b/c yesterday I got very close to them before they decided to bounce away

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    (though I am amazed that anyone signed off with the amount of uncut staubs and stumps along the trail) So a more permanent solution should be found.
    I was thinking this to myself the other day. There are an amazing number of staubs that I have visions of freakish penetrating trauma about, and there are a ton so its a constant thought. The most vivid visions come from that pointy little bastard coming out of the berm on the downhill side of toybox.......come into that berm too hot and wash out the front wheel and got flying....

My only request is no more gravel, I loathe the gravel most of all.

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    I'm a little more sensitive to those since on two occasions (not at PWP) I tried to break a staub with my sternum and with one of my ribs. In my case, it was me who left the staub but at some point in time, someone will fall on one. I don't think they should have been left there. I mean, Sorba doesn't leave staubs and they have only volunteers!
    Last edited by Uzzi; 04-23-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Thread Information