Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Percy Warner Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    20140423_094049.jpgThis should have been an early indication, the backside of hookman is covered in turkeys. At least two males and one female running all over the back hill.

2. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Arnette for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    All trails open. Watch for soft spots on Humdinger. Ride it like you stole it so we can get the tread packed back down.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

4. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
    Ride it like you stole it so we can get the tread packed back down.
    you had me at ride

6. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBreak View Post
    you had me at ride
    You know it! Did a little work on the mud pit to try to keep the water down at the bottom. Please ride on the high side or walk around. Speaking of work I would like to thank Tom and some others (I suck at remembering names) for their work on Humdinger by un-damming a few low spots holding water. One wet spot still left right after the first jump, will probably need armor. Also lots of soft places, especially on Humdinger, so keep an eye out. Otherwise should be in fine shape and only get better.
    -Austin

8. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Woo-hoo! I have to work...

Gary

Thanks
    was planning on going today. this is just icing on the cake.

Thanks
    Was great today! Only one mud spot and it was the trouble spot on the connector and it was better than its been. Everywhere else was great. (the landings of the wood jumps are super soft so be aware)

Everyone keep your fingers crossed it doesn't rain tonight!

12. The following user says "Thank You" to dirtdog36 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yep, darn near perfect. I'd say the mud hole was more saturated today than yesterday. The high line was muddy today. I wasn't the only Tom on the hill today. Strutting hard on a little honey down the hill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBreak View Post
    Yep, darn near perfect. I'd say the mud hole was more saturated today than yesterday. The high line was muddy today. I wasn't the only Tom on the hill today. Strutting hard on a little honey down the hill.
    **** awesome pics. Beautiful bird... makes me hungry...

Hopefully wont rain too much tonight...
    -Austin

Thanks
    So, what do you consider too much rain last night Post up if you know if it will be ridable tomorrow am.

Thanks
    The trails got a good bit of rain last night, 0.33" which is a significant amount. Anything under 0.10" we would probably have kept them open. Given that the trails have been ridden a lot they should be pretty packed and recover very fast. Was out there early this morning with Darryl and Metro Parks about the soon to be opened parking lot and new trailhead. We checked the trails and they were very sticky so we closed them.

Will check the trails early morning Saturday and hopefully can open them back up then. Unsure about Hop and Humdinger so they may re-close for a few days depending on how much water is leeching out of the ground.
    -Austin

17. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    The dirt had nearly the perfect amount of tack to it. The long closed and now open trails were in great shape, just soft and in need of riding.

19. The following user says "Thank You" to Arnette for this useful post:

Thanks

Percy Warner Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Rode the whole thing this afternoon.....great shape. One or two bad spots but overall a blast!

Thanks
    Here I was trying to be a good trail citizen and rode a couple laps of the 11 mi runner's route on the pavement on my road bike. Can't make it out tomorrow and I think we're going to get hammered Monday and Tuesday.

Thanks

Check the Sorba status my friend......excellent tool.

http://sorbamidtn.org

23. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to whamonkey for this useful post:

Thanks
    Got over 2" since Sunday afternoon at the trails according to nearest weather station. I am worried about the switchbacks on blvd having been washed out even more with the downpours. Trails will be closed probably through until Thursday midday but that depends on the amount of rain tonight. Outlook is good just need some time for the tread to dry out before putting wheels back on it. Peeked at the tread today and it looked solid from a quick glance. Will swing through tomorrow for a better look and get a better idea on eta on reopening.

Gravel drive is severely rutted now. Hopefully we can get the machine out there to smooth it out a little. Still waiting on word when the lot is expected to be paved and opened for parking.
    -Austin

25. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Went and checked some of the trails today. Most were still so wet they were shiny so it maybe Friday before they reopen since the temps are dipping a bit. Hopefully the dryer air will help suck some of the moisture out. That bit of rain last night did not help things at all...

Huge tree down across blvd right at the top of the gravel switchbacks. Fell from the hiking trail up the hill. It is a monster so we will probably just cut out what is in the way and leave the rest as a neat ride thru/over. Have to take a better look at it and see if it moves any as the sections in the way are cleared. May be other trees down. Easier to survey when the trails are dry.

Bit of a snafu from Metro this morning posting that Warner MTB trails were open when they are closed. Hopefully the issue has been fixed so bad information is not republished everywhere.
    -Austin

27. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks

Re: Percy Warner Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thoughts on tomorrow morning?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnette View Post
    Thoughts on tomorrow morning?
    Partially open now. Rocky, Hop and Humdinger are closed. All of the rain reactivated all the weeping that was occurring during March. Hopefully it will not last as long. Forgot to post here but we updated the sorba site and posted on twitter as well.
    -Austin

Thanks
    Partially open now. Rocky, Hop and Humdinger are closed. All of the rain reactivated all the weeping that was occurring during March. Hopefully it will not last as long. Forgot to post here but we updated the sorba site and posted on twitter as well.
    Thanks, just wanted to double check. Fiending to attack that climb on hop project...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    What is open was in good shape late afternoon.
    I am Facebook challenged.

32. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    It was horrible yesterday. Huge ruts about 8 inches deep in some areas that make you almost fall. Some ruts going diagonaly across that trail that could ruin you and your front tire. and one section where it was mud a foot deep. The lips on Wabash are smoothed in so you cant get any air. Somebody should do something about it! This could be fixed in a day easy. Snowshoe WV just puts wooden planks over the deep ruts so that would help!
    I have no clue what my signature should be….

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/treydownhill/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TreyDownhill View Post
    It was horrible yesterday. Huge ruts about 8 inches deep in some areas that make you almost fall. Some ruts going diagonaly across that trail that could ruin you and your front tire. and one section where it was mud a foot deep. The lips on Wabash are smoothed in so you cant get any air. Somebody should do something about it! This could be fixed in a day easy. Snowshoe WV just puts wooden planks over the deep ruts so that would help!
    Please provide locations for the problem areas with bad rutting. We are aware of the one big issue on the blvd as you head towards the southern end. The other sections that are open should be ok for the most part. This year is a wearing in year so it will have some trouble spots but as more people ride these will get better. As the weather cooperates any really bad spots or always wet spots can be fixed.

As far as I can remember the rollers on wabash were always smooth on both sides. Some have lost some height and their shape due to riding, settling and weather. Will be fixing these as dryer weather is more abundant. Heavy rains just wash away loose dirt.
    -Austin

35. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    I actually thought the area on the blvd was in better shape than it has been......

The small uphill on the backside of hookman right after crossing the stream was muddy and a few of dip/roller sections were muddy at the bottom. Basically all the usual spots we are all familiar with by now.

Adding insult to the weather damage I've begun to notice the features are taking a huge hit from people dragging brakes over them, this includes the jumps and berms. To top it off some alternate lines around certain corners are starting to be cut that make no sense, it makes me fear that unless heavy routine maintenance is performed this thing could be easily trashed.

37. The following user says "Thank You" to Arnette for this useful post:

Thanks
    Please provide locations for the problem areas with bad rutting. We are aware of the one big issue on the blvd as you head towards the southern end. The other sections that are open should be ok for the most part. This year is a wearing in year so it will have some trouble spots but as more people ride these will get better. As the weather cooperates any really bad spots or always wet spots can be fixed.

As far as I can remember the rollers on wabash were always smooth on both sides. Some have lost some height and their shape due to riding, settling and weather. Will be fixing these as dryer weather is more abundant. Heavy rains just wash away loose dirt.
    I understand. One of the spots was the part on the blvd. As for the "jumps" on Wabash, Just the jumps that you could get a little air on their lips have been pushed in due to some riders so the kind have turned from little jumps to rollers. Thanks!

Thanks
    Trey, ride toy box and hookman. They are both good. I walk the mucky spot on the blvd. keeps my bike and me a lot cleaner. I rode Hickman county gravel today and the erosion in some areas was unbelievable. We've had too much rain IMHO and there's nothing anyone can do about that.

40. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    I don't exactly like hook but it'll do. Toy Box is alright also. I prefer humdinger or wabash though. That one spot was tough to ride through but if you just cary speed its okay

Thanks
    Well, the Hookman is my favorite but I like cross-country riding. You really need to get to the mountain of either North Carolina or North Georgia. It gives you a new perspective of mountainous and longer downhills and longer uphills. I am glad that you can jump and enjoy it. I cannot but I can climb and am an okay descender. See you on the trail.

Thanks
    One place on Toybox is badly rutted, and there's an alternate line forming there that really isn't much better. It may be a good candidate for some rocks. Not gravel. Rocks.

Also, Hookman was mostly in good shape. The problem with Hookman is that there are a half dozen spots where the line that's been burned in over the winter is not the line that was built at all. Turns are being shorted in at least two places, and some places meant to enhance drainage have been straightlined. Looks like it was amateur hour out there over the winter.

I didn't ride anything else, as I was under the impression the rest of the trails were closed. Still got over 9 miles in and had some good fun.

44. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks

HEY AUSTIN......how's tomorrow looking....even the great mud pit is drying up..............

Thanks
    Went out and checked everything yesterday afternoon. Too many wet spots on black and blue so they will remain closed for at least today. Will be out there in the morning tomorrow laying out the approach for the permanent trail head. After that I will go back and check again. With the weather as dry and hot it will hopefully be dried up enough. It was close yesterday but there was still water actively flowing.
    -Austin

Thanks
    Dry as dust this afternoon on the trails that are open. I rode from home to the trail. Very easy to clean up my bike after this ride. Just some splatters from Hookman water crossing x 3. I love that trail.

I rode Wabash, Hookman 3 times, and toybox. Good times always.

48. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Rode Sunday morning and the Blow Flow trails were as good as they ever were. Trey - these "rollers" are not really jhumps - though they can be jumped. You would need a flat shovel and a few dudes to shape them up for the summer. It could be done.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Rode Sunday morning and the Blow Flow trails were as good as they ever were. Trey - these "rollers" are not really jhumps - though they can be jumped. You would need a flat shovel and a few dudes to shape them up for the summer. It could be done.
    the real question is: Are jhumps intended to be jumped? or jhumped?

51. The following user says "Thank You" to Flakpheiser for this useful post:

Thanks
    The original intent of those sections were to be rollers that could be jumped with enough speed. All of the doubles are built with at that in mind. I am sure they have been rounded off a lot due to weather, wear and tire dragging. We can tweak them a bit to make them a bit pointier but you are still going to have people rolling over them so they will round off again.

All trails open at PW as of an hour ago or so. Be careful on hop coming down as a few spots are still mushy. They need to be ridden in to pack them down. Also watch out some of the flathead screws on the tabletop on Humdinger have backed out in the middle. Will hit them tomorrow with a hammer drill to put them back down. Forgot my cordless today.
    -Austin

53. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    All jumps are intended to be jhumps.

Thanks
    Yesterday, I found everything but Humdinger in way good shape. Skipped Humdinger due to an earlier mishap. Getcha some!

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Yesterday, I found everything but Humdinger in way good shape. Skipped Humdinger due to an earlier mishap. Getcha some!
    Gary, Hope you are okay. Next time you ride there, mid to late afternoon, let me know. I rode them all today. Started from my house. It is getting to be an addiction.

57. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    My wife's in Baptist so I got some while out this way, after my daughter relieved me. I'll stop by the store next time!

Gary

59. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Exactly what I meant. I'd rather get about a foot of air than just rool over one. Not much but more fun. But like you said, if a few people came out with some shovels you could make lips on those roller/minijump things to make it a bit better.

Thanks
    how are things looking for tomorrow afternoon after the rain we got saturday morning?
    2012 Tallboy AL
    2012 Felt 55x
    2015 Ridley Orion

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trav16 View Post
    how are things looking for tomorrow afternoon after the rain we got saturday morning?
    Its been all open. Everything is dry for the most part and in good condition. The turkeys have also been absent.

63. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Arnette for this useful post:

Thanks
    Ate it harder than I have in a very long time on the gravel. Can we all agree that no matter what there should be no more gravel?

Thanks
    Ate it harder than I have in a very long time on the gravel. Can we all agree that no matter what there should be no more gravel?
    I don't like it, but sometimes it's the only thing that will hold up. Ideally, it should have a large rock bedding and topped with the fine material to compact in. Loose small diameter material on corners is p-r-e-t-t-y sketchy.

Gary

Thanks
    The gravel is rough. I have 2 long scars on my left elbow I got last fall from the first turn as you come down the switchbacks. Front wheel came out from under me. The gravel will meld with the dirt and the loose stuff will disappear in time. Just be careful there and keep a mental note. We may want some signage there especially when traveling back north down the switchbacks at fun (dangerous) speeds.
    -Austin

Thanks

The gravel is rough. I have 2 long scars on my left elbow I got last fall from the first turn as you come down the switchbacks. Front wheel came out from under me. The gravel will meld with the dirt and the loose stuff will disappear in time. Just be careful there and keep a mental note. We may want some signage there especially when traveling back north down the switchbacks at fun (dangerous) speeds.
    That would be precisely where and how I ate it HARD.

Thanks
    Rider error. I ride gravel a lot in Hickman County and you have to watch your speed in the turns or it is a bust waiting to happen. Slow down a little. It isn't always about going balls to the wall. IMBA rule of the trail. Always have your bike under control. I want you to keep riding and falling hurts. I know the feeling.

69. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Rider error. I ride gravel a lot in Hickman County and you have to watch your speed in the turns or it is a bust waiting to happen. Slow down a little. It isn't always about going balls to the wall. IMBA rule of the trail. Always have your bike under control. I want you to keep riding and falling hurts. I know the feeling.
    Yes mother

Thanks
    Yes mother
    Thank-you son. And remember that that trail is a two way trunk trail so look out for other riders. If you think going down in the gravel hurts, have a head on, and it will feel like nothing. I had a head on at Raccoon Mountain in a blind corner with someone who was flying. And it was on a Sunday when I had seen families hiking and runners using the trail. Not smart, imho and I like to go fast sometimes, also.

72. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Arnette, don't challenge Robert to a day of riding. There ain't but a handful that could hold up. (Present company excluded.) He's paid his dues in wrong-way riders, hard go-downs (Robert, I busted ribs at PW last Weds. at PW), trail lay-offs, and grueling ascents. He's respectful of riders and the trails. FYI.

Gary

Thread Information