Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Percy Warner Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Arnette, don't challenge Robert to a day of riding. There ain't but a handful that could hold up. (Present company excluded.) He's paid his dues in wrong-way riders, hard go-downs (Robert, I busted ribs at PW last Weds. at PW), trail lay-offs, and grueling ascents. He's respectful of riders and the trails. FYI.
    Thanks Gary. Sucks about your ribs. Heal up fast and let's do a ride at PWP to celebrate your healing. Believe me, I know what it feels like.

I also hope your wife is doing okay. I never like that in the hospital phrase.

Okay, here's my take on all of this. It is fun to go fast but it is not always prudent. I will be 60 next year and hope to do this as long as my health and obsessive/compulsive nature hold up. I might even change my screen name to Mother, not. I thought it was pretty funny and I am just glad when he called me mother is wasn't just half of the word. LMAO

I have hit the deck hard on my bike more than a time or two and had two head ons. Got lucky with both of them. At PWP, the way I see it, once you are on a trail, other than the trunk, you should be able to blast away because the trails are DIRECTIONAL. I have only come up on one person going the wrong way on Hookman and I just said be careful because you are going the wrong way. That is my favorite trail to go fast on when I am feeling good and rested and it works into my riding plans. Time yourself on that trail because it is the longest out there, the tightest and the most fun, IMHO. I would like to go under 14 minutes from exit point to exit point on that trail. I have done 14:20 and did 3 laps at around 14:30 per lap on my SS. My handling skills keep me from going any faster. I know some guys, on this board, who will be 2 to 3 minutes faster if they decide to go for it

So, I like to go fast also but when I am on the riding trails and not the trunk trail. Heck, I think the bridges should be wider, considering two way traffic. I also hate going down on gravel and it's only happened once near the white water center a long time ago. I still have the scar on my knee.

I love to ride my bike about anywhere except Hamilton Creek. Sacrilege. Let the Uzzi fire away.

I still haven't cleaned Rocky Top and may never but I love the trail and riding down Hop and Humdinger minus the jumps.
    I am Facebook challenged.

2. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I love to ride my bike about anywhere except Hamilton Creek. Sacrilege. Let the Uzzi fire away.
    Too funny. You know I only love to pick on you! I will say, of all the mountain bikers I know, whenever I see Robert he always takes the time to say hi and have a nice chat. But really man, we need to go to Hamilton Creek. We need to get the Poop Shoots Branch out of you. I mean, if you can ride Rocky Top, there is nothing at Hamilton Creek that should give you any bother. Perhaps you just need someone to show you the lines.

4. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    A moment of brutal honesty here? Perhaps it's because I learned to ride a bike on gravel roads. Maybe it's because when I was 4 I fell off a bike on a gravel road and broke my first bone. I don't think having my leg set hurt as badly as the hour and a half I spent laying on a table having gravel picked out of my 40% skinned body. Yes, 4 year olds on bikes like to go fast down hill too. But look, gravel is just gravel. View it as an opportunity to improve your bike handling skills. By the time I was 12, the turn at the bottom of the hill that nearly killed me when I was 4 was something I did two wheel drifts around on my 40lb western flyer mountain bike. If it's necessary to put gravel down on a trail, then people simply need to adjust to it.

In my humble opinion, Robert nailed it. Maintain control of your bike. If that means you have to slow down, so be it.

6. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Yeah, Robert. I know you've had your hard knocks. Remember the c-bone at Lock 4? Ugh…

Gary

Thanks
    I know what Arnette is saying - "Why am I riding a MTB trail and wrecking on gravel" I get it, and would feel the same way. Gravel is a cheap, easy fix for trouble spots or in this case, high traffic sections. In a perfect world, we would have paver stones or bridges or something more elegant.
    Last edited by Uzzi; 05-15-2014 at 11:27 AM.

9. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Trails will remain closed through today. Hopefully will be able to reopen them tomorrow.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

11. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    These tags are hilarious -

criminal trespass wt$ ?,
    disappearing ruts?,
    do not join sorba,
    i am afraid of ruts,
    independent trail maintenance sucks,
    log riding is thrilling,
    mods know who tags,
    mountain biking & mud go hand in hand,
    quit moving the logs!,
    ruts drive me nuts,
    sorba is too conservative,
    sorba is too liberal,
    sorba is too libertarian,
    too many p*****s "my bike will get too dirty",
    we don't need your stinkin horse trails now,
    weenie hut jr ruts

13. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    I know what Arnette is saying - "Why am I riding a MTB trail and wrecking on gravel" I get it, and would feel the same way. Gravel is a cheap, easy fix for trouble spots or in this case, high traffic sections. In a perfect world, we would have paver stones or bridges or something more elegant.
    Essentially, it somehow was spun into life lessons and respecting your elders or something like that.

15. The following user says "Thank You" to Arnette for this useful post:

Thanks
    These tags are hilarious -
    mods know who tags,
    That's my favorite!
    Chris

"Mountain biking is about adventure and the rediscovery of your childhood freedom. It removes you from the daily grind and puts you in an environment with endless possibilities - wildlife, epic views, a personal epiphany about what really matters, and tasting your endorphins after a long, hard climb. The reward is looking back at obstacles, that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's possible." - Gary Klein

17. The following user says "Thank You" to Bikebrainmaniac for this useful post:

Thanks
    Gary, I am sorry to hear about your busted ribs, I had them to and it is not fun to have

19. The following user says "Thank You" to rodney humes for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Yeah, Robert. I know you've had your hard knocks. Remember the c-bone at Lock 4? Ugh…
    That didn't turn out to be the most painful. I was able to road ride in 2.5 weeks. Thanks for getting me out of the woods. I hope I never have to return the favor, if you know what I mean.

21. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikebrainmaniac View Post
    That's my favorite!
    Yeah, I learned that the hard way a few years ago.

Thanks
    Hey guys,
    I have been out of town all week. When I landed this morning, I thought today would be great for a ride but looks like all trails are closed. I guess we had some rain... I am trying to figure out how much and if anything might open up this weekend
    Thanks

Thanks
    Checked Warner this morning. It is still took sticky to re open. The rain we got this morning set things back along with the lower temperatures. Might be able to get it open tomorrow morning but that depends on the rain and sunshine.

For other options Montgomery Bell and AEDC would be better choices. Lock4 may reopen if it doesnt rain anymore.
    -Austin

25. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Does anyone know how the trails were today? I'm thinking about going out tomorrow morning.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbookingtn View Post
    Does anyone know how the trails were today? I'm thinking about going out tomorrow morning.
    Reopened them at about 3pm today. Some spots a bit mushy still but overall in really good shape. Watch the rocks as they may still be slick due to lack of sun and heat lately.
    -Austin

Thanks
    Awesome! Looking forward to riding em tomorrow. Thanks!

Thanks
    It was fun riding the perviously closed section of Rocky Top. Still a bit slick, but hit all of PWP on Sunday morning. I can see a lot of work was done out there, so Austin and whomever assisted, much appreciation to you. It's going to be a great summer out there!

30. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Freaking hero dirt today. Just tacky enough to stick to the corners of your tire tread, made the rocks a little slick, but rode the whole thing and it was a blast, grip for days.

One thing I find disappointing though - the number of skid marks in the trails. In places where people shouldn't even really be on their brakes. Why do people do that?

32. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    One thing I find disappointing though - the number of skid marks in the trails. In places where people shouldn't even really be on their brakes. Why do people do that?
    People either learning or dont care. I hope it is the former, I am in that category. I know on the flow trails I can get going a bit too fast but I only use the rear brake if I absolutely have to. Still learning how to lean into those turns and convince myself the tire tread will hold me up at speed and also clear some of those doubles.

I did notice spots where the trail was wet had some skid marks and this is to be expected until they dry out. Saw one on hop where someone braked too late and skidded sideways off of the turn.
    -Austin

34. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I must admit, I'm still in the learning curve of using primarily front brake. It has leaned the skidding immeasurably. I'm with Austin, it's probably ignorance, which is acceptable. I'd also say that there may be a few coaster brake rigs out there, too. There certainly are at L4.

Gary

36. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Same curve too( no pun intended ). I've been trying a dropper post and that helps me feel more secure. I can get lower and push down on my pedals. Still trying to get use to it though.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

38. The following user says "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    Yes Hero dirt! Was great today!

In regards to the skid marks... Looks like someone was rinding backwards down Toy box. That is the only was I can figure some of those marks... hard to skid up hill.

All in All it is PRIMO right now. Thanks to Austin and gang for the work getting it back into riding shape

40. The following user says "Thank You" to dirtdog36 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog36 View Post
    Yes Hero dirt! Was great today!

In regards to the skid marks... Looks like someone was rinding backwards down Toy box. That is the only was I can figure some of those marks... hard to skid up hill.

All in All it is PRIMO right now. Thanks to Austin and gang for the work getting it back into riding shape
    I noticed those marks yesterday. Fair warning to all riders: All trails except for the trunk trail (aka Blvd) and the first half mile of Toybox are one-way. Also do not expect any cut thrus or other short cuts on toy box and other trails to remain for much longer.
    -Austin

42. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    Everyone calm down on the skidding. Two things at play - berms are too shallow and people learning how to ride this stuff. Skids are not going to do any long term damage. I mean, all the horrible ruts have magically disappeared - so the skids will get smoothed over as well, if they even dug into the dirt.

When are we having a work day out there so I can fix the berms and re-shape the rollers?
    Last edited by Uzzi; 05-19-2014 at 11:25 PM.

44. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Everyone calm down on the skidding. Two things at play - berms are too shallow and people learning how to ride this stuff. Skids are not going to do any long term damage. I mean, all the horrible ruts have magically disappeared - so the skids will get smoothed over as well, if they even dug into the dirt.

When are we having a work day out there so I can fix the berms and re-shape the rollers?
    My particular issue is with the larger berms where people tend to skid about halfway through. With the soil at Warner, it makes the middle of the berm very soft and almost sandy. This not only interferes with maximum berm railage it also kills the flow and causes more people to brake in the soft slick area exacerbating the issue.

Unless they are going to start requiring mandatory skate park time or build a pump track I'm not sure of how to remedy this. I suppose the popularity of the park is going to be its drawback in a few different facets, but hopefully a few of the converts it creates can help pave new future trails.

This being said, my new beef is Strava morons trying to KOM and nearly running over kids and families.

46. The following user says "Thank You" to Arnette for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnette View Post
    This being said, my new beef is Strava morons trying to KOM and nearly running over kids and families.

If you are reading this board and are guilty of this, please remember, you or I are not the only ones on the trail. I will never understand this especially on trails that are two way.

48. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    The berms will get "dusty" with or without skidding. Just railing the berms will tear the soil loose. There are a few remedies - SoilTac or build them out of something other than dirt. I contend they are skidding because the berm is not built to sustain the speed.

50. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post

If you are reading this board and are guilty of this, please remember, you or I are not the only ones on the trail. I will never understand this especially on trails that are two way.
    Also remember right of way goes to rides going uphill.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

52. The following user says "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnette View Post
    Amen!!!

I bet these are the same guys that never give you room to pass and never say hello back to you. Don't act like a too cool for school d-bag!

Thanks
    YEAH!!! You know what....F(_)CK mountain bikers. they're the worst. riding around tearing up dirt and butchering families. who do they think they are?

55. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBreak View Post
    YEAH!!! You know what....F(_)CK mountain bikers. they're the worst. riding around tearing up dirt and butchering families. who do they think they are?
    Guys who enjoy being oudoors while having the adrenaline of speed and jumps.
    I have no clue what my signature should be….

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/treydownhill/

Thanks
    It has to be pretty mint out there today...

58. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    It has to be pretty mint out there today...
    put my highball back together after the ride home yesterday and tore PW up. definitely a different trail when on a hardtail vs FS. trying to decide how long i will be able to stick around work today. i should just start towing the mtn bike behind the big dummy and going straght to PW. pics to follow...

60. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Thanks
    Pretty sweet out there around lunchtime! Wheels on the ground all the way around.

Gary

62. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks

Percy Warner Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

The trail is in amazing shape today! The dirt is more packed than I have ever seen it and full of grip. So glad we have this gem to enjoy.

64. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to TrenaryJL for this useful post:

Thanks
    I propose a couple of improvements to Hookman. How about removing/cutting the two small logs crossing the trail at the first and the big root at the off-camber left veer with the tree at the immediate right following. I love features, but the trees make no sense in such a flowing part of the trail. The root has thrown riders to the right, making trenching, and if it were gone the flow would be greatly improved. Feedback?

Gary

66. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    I agree on the root, not on the logs.

68. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Gallatin, TN Across the street from Lock 4
    Thanks
    i agree on the root and the logs. I have no problem getting over them, it's not a skill thing, they just seem really out of place and just kinda in the way on the xc loop.
    fall mountains, just don't fall on me

70. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to ryanthelyon for this useful post:

Thanks
    I like anything that requires a mandatory bunny hop to keep speed. I haven't been able to get the second one without tires touching yet.

72. The following user says "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Thanks
    I'll agree with the root. I think the trail should have gone left of that tree. Maybe build up logs to make the other feature a roll over. I like the challenge and that's one that I can do. My . 02
    Last edited by Robert; 05-25-2014 at 05:51 AM.

74. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Agree on the off camber roots. And what's with people going to the left of the rock on hop project, creating an off camber section there? (just after the rock outcropping near the beginning). One last thing, in the past month I have seen two people miss the turn onto the bridge at the bottom of the gravel switch backs. Not sure if a berm or curb could be added there. They looked like beginners, but it is a beginner trail.

76. The following user says "Thank You" to Kige Ramsey for this useful post:

Thanks
    The tree root we are aware of but requires parks to sign off. It wasnt an issue until riders were not heeding the closed signs then the winter accelerated the erosion.

As far as the logs they will probably remain as they are part of the original layout. Same thing with the oversized log on Humdinger that people keep putting cheater logs in front of. They are meant to be a challenge to riders. BTW if you see cheater logs on the trail please remove them. If you cant clear it dont dumb it down for everyone else.
    -Austin

78. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    How about a compromise? Remove the existing logs and replace them in a location where they don't affect the flow so much, like in a straight. Just because the trail gurus left something, it's not like it can't be improved upon. They're more like speed bumps than features.

Austin, we have to get approval to cut out a root? Are you kidding?

Gary

80. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Depends on the type of tree, I havent looked closely at it. The issue is the trail needs to be moved or planked due to the wear exposing the root in the first place.
    -Austin

82. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks

Percy Warner Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

By the way, what's the status on the official trailhead? It's looking pretty good!

Thanks
    the logs do kind of ruin the flow, but i take a great satisfaction ungracefully getting my bike over them. i say leave them.
    2012 Tallboy AL
    2012 Felt 55x
    2015 Ridley Orion

85. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to trav16 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by commodoremd View Post
    By the way, what's the status on the official trailhead? It's looking pretty good!
    Waiting for the official date. We have to build the entrance as the existing entrance is like a 25% grade down to the lot. It's possible it will be open later this week, unsure how much work is left by the contractor.
    -Austin

Thanks
    Trail conditions are good! Wabash and the boulevard are doing good. Plenty of snakes out there though. I like that one part on the boulevard where it is Rocky and rutted and rooty.
    I have no clue what my signature should be….

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/treydownhill/

88. The following user says "Thank You" to TreyDownhill for this useful post:

Thanks
    The oversized log on humdinger is too large to be fun, it's just a chain ring killer. Small logs are fun, a log of this size ruins the flow of the trail and should be changed. You won't see a feature like this in any other mature trail system because it's not fun.

90. The following user says "Thank You" to Kylevee for this useful post:

Thread Information