Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Percy Warner - First Impressions

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts

Percy Warner - First Impressions

I thought it would be fun to get everyone's first impressions of the PWP trail. Here is mine!

The "Trunk" trail design makes it interesting to link a 10 mile ride together. PWP consists of the trunk and many feeder trails. THis is new for us in Nashville, as traditionally L4 and Hammy are loops. You ride 6 miles at Hamilton Creek to get to Pinnacle, so at PWP, you can do the fun stuff as much as you want. When I went, I did the black diamond once, looped around and did that same climb but instead of the black, went left on blue. Then at the bottom, hit the trunk trail and found the two blue "flow" trails and did both of those. That is a pretty stout little ride right there ! And I hadn't even ridden HALF of the trail!

I have never been to a bike park (other than Ray's) but when I got to the top of the two blue "Flow-gurt" trails, I was really amazed at how FUN a well built manicured trail could be! I also loved that they built it so (at least for me) it will be a challenge to really link all the pieces together. I can see us tweaking some of the flow after it packs in by making the bank turns a bit more angled (less flat) to keep more speed and maybe steepening the faces of some of the lips just a tad. Maybe it's the 7 inch travel bike, or the loamy, fresh trailbed that is making it a challenge. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing When it's packed and dry, may not be an issue. We will ALL become much better riders after spending time on this jewel!

The climbs are steep, but the payoff is sweet. Everything flows, and there are plenty of rollers everywhere! There is plenty of natural character, log skinnies, stout climbs and great flow to keep us all happy for a while. Singletrack did an AMAZING job! Just a real treat for our community.

What is your story?

IMG_20131019_164108.jpg
    Last edited by Uzzi; 10-23-2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added picture

2. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    wazzat black like technically?
    I have no clue what my signature should be….

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/treydownhill/

Thanks
    the first drop off on black is a doozie if your not ready for it. And I wasn't! LOL! It snuck up on me!

I puckered big time! I think I tasted my seat.

Its not that bad just know that it is going to happen right at the start

Thanks to Specialized and RockShox for keeping me safe on that!!

5. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to dirtdog36 for this useful post:

Thanks
    PS: As for first impressions I agree with everything Uzzi said.

Lapped the "flow area" two or three times in a row as the climb up is not bad at all

my fav portion is the blue by cheekwood. A+ XC trail with plenty of technical areas and switchbacks

7. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to dirtdog36 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Ditto on having the Flow and Black Diamond loops close. On last visit, after doing everything once, we were able to double back, do the Black again and the Flow three times...then we ran of gas. I didn't find the climbs that bad...long, but not as steep as Defeated. Ride it all (which means doing the "Rockytop" and Flow climbs twice) and you feel like you've done something, and grinned quite a bit. I'm just learning to "pump tha lip" on the rollers and tables, so I'm way excited to get back and work on that. They did do an outstanding job!

Gary

9. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Looking forward to getting over there! Thanks for the comments!
    IMBA-SORBA Member

11. The following user says "Thank You" to missingpanic for this useful post:

Thanks
    I never climb, I hike.

13. The following user says "Thank You" to TreyDownhill for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Love the Wabash section on my hardtail. I need to learn to corner better over here.

There will be some minor changes over the next year as the trails are ridden and we see where the travel lines end up. For now we need to get it packed in as much as possible. So if you havent been out there go ride. If you have go every day and ride if you can.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    I have ridden it all sometimes twice after riding there from home. I like it all except I am not a jumper. My favorite is the hand cut single track that runs behind Cheekwood. It has nice flow and is tight and flows really well. I love the way you can connect the systems. Seems like you are on a different trail at times. It was tacky this afternoon but no mud at all and there were a lot of cars in the lot. So glad to have something about 5 miles from my house and this nice is a huge bonus. Go ride it and pack it in more. It needs to be ridden when it is not muddy to make it faster. When it is tacky it will wear on your legs a lot more than dry.

And Uzzi, I know, that I don't know, what I am doing.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Love it. Wish I could figure out how to get enough speed to clear the final wood jump on black. I have cased it every time I have ridden it, including twice today.

17. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BEtheMB View Post
    Are there any sections that you wouldn't ride a hard tail on?
    You're idea of hard may differ from mine. Is there anything hard here? Not even remotely. Is it super fun? Heck yeah.

Some guys I rode with on the north shore of Vancouver did ungodly things on hard tails. They had dual crown DH forks, but you get what I am saying.

The wood jumps might hurt if you case it just right. Same thing with the doubles on most trails, but just roll them if need be. They all are set up to where you really have to work it to clear them all. In reality, a hard tail is probably more fun at PW. I'll probably bring mine soon.

19. The following user says "Thank You" to SafetyBreak for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    I bet the black trail at night would be a lot of fun!
    I moved Uzzi's quote...

That's me in the picture (I know it's a crap picture, but...) at the top of the Black (aka Humdinger) tonight. My first time down it was with lights. Didn't clean everything at the beginning and cased the "step up" to wood. Was still a hoot, though.

RockyTop.jpg

Mark

21. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to QuestionMark for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TreyDownhill View Post
    wazzat black like technically?
    Sure, I've ridden harder stuff, but as far as a trail for public consumption, in Nashville, it's pretty fun. More fun than hard. There are some natural rock sections where you are riding on rock formations, so there is the technical part of that. As far as the wooden features and jhumps, nothing big - I bet the wood ramps are 2.5 feet..but you heard me ...wood ramps! In Nashville! They could be four feet and still be doable. The wooden elements don't have lip, so they are smooth safe and fun. There are little table tops all of the place. It's hard to know where they all are so I'm wasn't going fast enough to get over most of them. But when it is dry and hard packed, it will most likely be a different trail.

23. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    That's me in the picture (I know it's a crap picture, but...)

I'd fire the cameraman

25. The following user says "Thank You" to outman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBreak View Post
    Love it. Wish I could figure out how to get enough speed to clear the final wood jump on black. I have cased it every time I have ridden it, including twice today.
    I also am 2 for 2 on casing this one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by outman View Post
    I'd fire the cameraman
    Our get a better camera!

Thanks
    Great trail as all have already said. Black diamond is the most fun, and the cross country section is actually really great. Some good consistent climbing over there.

Thanks
    My first go-round, doing the features, was behind a jumper and neither of us got anywhere near clearing the last gap on either run. As you said, it'd be nice to figure out how to pick up the speed. Considering the lack of approach, I suspect we might need to move it closer or eliminate. We were landing with the front wheel at the roller, which in my case, was bottoming out my squish.

Gary

Thanks
    A word about speed, related to berm modifications, and clearing jumps. No matter how good it looks right now, this trail will weather in and pack a lot more than it currently is. When it does, it will be faster. I suspect it's highly likely that the features are built to support the speed of the weathered in trail, not the barely packed new trail. I personally can barely get out of the woods in Clarksville to eat, but I'm sure looking forward to Sunday afternoon.

31. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BEtheMB View Post
    Are there any sections that you wouldn't ride a hard tail on?
    I am about to give my 26'er Tomac hard tail a little love b/c I think it would be a beast on these trails. (I need pedals and prob a new fork)

I personally would not take it down black but I am old and out of shape and too happy with my 29'er FSR but other than that I think a hard tail could be more fun over there

Thanks
    Great write ups, guys. It's my new favorite trail and I can't get enough of it. I would reiterate the comment about it only getting faster. When that black trail gets really packed and dry, I think you guys will be nailing that last jump.

My biggest challenge out there are the blue flow trails and really getting my timing right to carry momentum and clear some of those doubles. I'm completely out of my element, but I LOVE it.

We're giving a whole lot of love to the black diamond trail - I really want to caution every single rider to scout these sections out before you ride them the first time. We are hearing quite a few reports about people getting in over their heads, including a snapped fork. I met a guy last night who was walking his bike backwards on the xc trail ("hookman hill") with a flat front tire. He had ridden right off that first drop on Humdinger without scouting it out, had faceplanted and burped his front tire. And he was wandering around trying to find the parking lot. He wasn't hurt, but I think he rung his bell pretty hard. I turned him around and rode with him out.

Not trying to scare anyone - this black trail would never be labeled "black" in a market more familiar with this kind of riding - but it does require significant bike handling skills. If it's your first time on the trail, please use caution.
    Graham

'08 Specialized Epic Comp
    '00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

34. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to graham722 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    A word about speed, related to berm modifications, and clearing jumps. No matter how good it looks right now, this trail will weather in and pack a lot more than it currently is. When it does, it will be faster..
    You are right - the jhumps I built at my place seems so hard to clear at first. I had to crank on the pedals, get as much speed then barely clear them. Now I don't even pedal and seem to have enough speed..sometimes too much..to clear them. We need some fat guys to go out there and ride and pack down the trail bed!

Thanks
    We need some fat guys to go out there and ride and pack down the trail bed!
    Dude, I am trying!

If anyone wants to ride tomorrow afternoon let me know. Should be nice tomorrow. (Wife is out of town and a little leery of riding alone and not having some one to come get me if something were to go wrong)

37. The following user says "Thank You" to dirtdog36 for this useful post:

Thanks
    We need some fat guys to go out there and ride and pack down the trail bed!
    This fat boy will be out there Saturday trying out the trails out for the first time. Probably will be hiking some of the hills, but packing everything else down real good for you
    2014 Niner RIP 9 - Licorice Black
    2011 Niner Jet 9 - Glow in the dark Raw
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 30

39. The following user says "Thank You" to Lenchito for this useful post:

Thanks
    All this fun being had, and I'm stuck in St. Thomas, USVI for a couple more (bright sunny 88 degree) days... Be back home in music city Sat night late. Maybe I'll get a chance to ride Sun. afternoon!

41. The following user says "Thank You" to TNriverjet for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
    Yep they were fine shape. I was out at the trailhead around 4:30ish with a shovel. Was out on Black fixing some soft spots and sunken spots from all the hard landings, lol. You guys are crazy, crazy awesome!
    Austin was that you that I stopped and talked to? You were fooling with the sign and I had a red long sleeve jersey and white helmet

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog36 View Post
    Austin was that you that I stopped and talked to? You were fooling with the sign and I had a red long sleeve jersey and white helmet
    Yep that was me. Count yourself lucky you found me, I am very hard to find in the woods... or something lol. Glad you liked the trails.

Back on topic please or we will make the moderator monster angry!
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

44. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks
    No shame ever in getting off your bike if you think you cannot ride something. Some days I can and some days I cannot. I go by how I feel. I love all the trails and think there is something for everyone.

46. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Get a single speed, it will crush your ego about not wanting to walk sections. And remember, most areas that are so steep that you are walking, you can probably walk just as fast as a rider riding that hill in their granny ring.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez View Post
    Get a single speed, it will crush your ego about not wanting to walk sections. And remember, most areas that are so steep that you are walking, you can probably walk just as fast as a rider riding that hill in their granny ring.
    I am new her in town but not new in to mtb. Anyone can tell where the PWP trail is.

Thanks. Simon.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simon the dane View Post
    I am new her in town but not new in to mtb. Anyone can tell where the PWP trail is.

Thanks. Simon.
    The directions are in the trail conditions thread over in the trails category.

If you can be there tomorrow evening, I'll show you around, if you would like. Might even stick around for a night ride.

Thanks

Pwp ride.

Other than that, dare I say? Perfect!!!!!

Tacky and FAST.
    I alone whith my 2 kids today, but i thinking i will do a ride on tuesday from 10 in the morning for some houers.

Thanks
    A definite fun and challenge of a trail. Watch the switchbacks until the trail gets packed in if you accidentally go wide your front tire sinks. Just a friendly reminder because we don't have a lot if two-way trails around here. Please remember to yield to the uphill traveling cyclist.
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

52. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    Rode it this evening. I hate to be a hater about this but i did the blue trial the first time and HATED it. 1.) Uphill almost whole time! 2.) You hear cars 3.) Not technical 4.) I don't like it. Though I was glad to ride my bike instead of sitting on the couch for ever. Trial conditions good. You can tell if people keep on mud riding it it will get blah, and if people keep braking on flow it will be bleh too!

Thanks
    Trail summaries, lots of photos, and plenty of Flogurt love to spread around...

http://www.friendsofflogurt.com

55. The following user says "Thank You" to FriendOfFlogurt for this useful post:

Thanks
    Great trail with lots of variety...it is going to make a lot of good mountain bikers better. Not much flat, either going up or down which is awesome. Probably the most climbing out of any middle tennessee trail...pretty much sustained climbing, not necessarily any steep climbs. The black trail will take me a walk or two to get dialed in, but is all totally doable.Minus the built ins, I would consider it on par with a lot of the technical stuff at Sewannee. The blue trail (forget the name) that has all of the pump track type stuff and table tops will only get better as you ride it more and get your timing down. Great day with great people all together. The only downside is that it takes an hour from Murfreesboro.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    Just a friendly reminder because we don't have a lot if two-way trails around here. Please remember to yield to the uphill traveling cyclist.
    Great reminder for sure. Though I feel like almost every trail we have except for this new Percy Warner trail is two way. I guess Lock4 and Chickasaw are directional, but it's never seemed to be all that enforced. Monty Bell and Hamilton Creek are both two-way.

Isn't the trunk trail the only two-way trail at Percy Warner? I haven't ridden since they finished so I haven't seen much of the trail.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

FreshieandZero

Thanks
    Yeah, Greg. the trunk/corridor is two-way (and wide), the rest, with one small exception, is signed one-way (no entry/exit). Lock 4 is, I guess, two-way, but last weekend some (non-novice) wrong-wayers about made it su4K for those going the "normal" way. Come on, man! In all cases, just be considerate.

Gary

59. The following user says "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Come on, man! In all cases, just be considerate.
    Totally. I generally end up slowing and getting over no matter which direction I'm heading. I've made some new friends that way.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

FreshieandZero

61. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Chewieez for this useful post:

Thanks
    if people keep braking on flow it will be bleh too![/TreyDownhill QUOTE]

Have to agree, a lot of rear tires tearing up the trail. Use both breaks, don't skid the rear. Gee, I really feel like I am nitpicking. Just enjoy the trail! Just seeing all the people that were out there today, I'm sure that on any trail maintenance day we have , we will have so many people, we will be able to repair any damage and, build some more trail. Hey this is Middle TN, now that we see how it done, lets pack it in. Just a thought.
    Last edited by e-fish; 10-25-2013 at 09:19 PM.
    ERIC
    A Shutes Branch Maintainer

Cannondale Trigger 29er 3

VOODOO Dambala 29" Ridged SS

Vintage MASI SS

Soma San Marcos, with vary nice shiny bits. My favorite ride!

Panasonic Tourist 3 speed cruiser (Way cool)

63. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to e-fish for this useful post:

Thanks
    Blanket Party
    -Kurt

13' Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC

Thanks
    I agree bro but easy with the 29er stuff. Ha
    -Kurt

Thanks
    It was me. That trail was just too difficult. I also paved one of the blue trails.

Are you kidding me? We have to have the lamest mtb scene here. Probably riding a 29r That really, really, really irks me and it should everyone else! If it is too hard, go ride the other 9.5 miles of stuff with no log crossings!
    I agree bro but easy with the 29er stuff. Ha
    -Kurt

Thanks
    Trey...you will need some more time on the Blue trails. Linking them together it's the challenge. Get your climbing legs on!
    Last edited by Uzzi; 10-26-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Those blue trails are awesome - the climb is short and easy the downhill jumps are fun you just gotta clear them...

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 491 Posts
    Thought this a "trail condtions" thread...a.d.d'rs...ha

70. The following user says "Thank You" to dirtdog for this useful post:

Thanks
    This was discussed in the trail conditions thread but that thread is meant for CONDITIONS. I do agree with no removing natural features. If you cannot ride it walk over it. I do when I am not feeling the mojo. I cannot jump like some of the other studs on this forum and really don't want to so I go around the jumps. I don't agree with, if you don't have the skills, then you shouldn't be on the black trail. How will you get the skills if you don't ride it? Don't sound so elitist because there was a time when none of us could ride that stuff. I can ride 85% of the black trail and have ridden worse. I am not a big risk taker but I can ride a mountain bike fairly well. If I remember correctly, at the Monty Bell Race two years ago, I was ahead of some of those who can air it, have techy skills that I can never match, but they were still behind me at the race. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I try to work on my weaknesses but I don't alter the trail to do so. If you are reading this and have never ridden anything technical then try Humdinger and walk what you cannot ride. There is no shame in getting off you bike. Don't let the others, on this forum, make you feel any less of a rider because you cannot, right now. A year from now, you might be kicking all our ( I )es. And Downhill Trey, keep riding out there because it will make your climbing legs stronger. I ride the road quite a bit for the endurance fitness that mountain biking may never give you. All of this is IMHO.

72. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Uzzi, what you said about my climbing legs..... I don't climb a whole lot! If it is consistently up or a long climb, I hike it to save energy for the downhill parts. ( Also I ride a dj hardtail. Seats don't get any lower than that!) I think I just started with the wrong trial. At the opening I think I will get to the flow/ jhumpy stuff I want. And maybe some technical out of me on the black too!

74. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to TreyDownhill for this useful post:

Thanks
    Robert is bringing up when he passed me at Monty Bell. It is all those veggies he eats!

76. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    I think that you guys have sort of hit what is great about this trail...something for everyone. I am a xc guy, so the climbing is great with all of the flowy downhill. I suck at technical stuff, so i am not scared to walk a part of the black or go stage left of the jumps. All you downhillers and technical lovers can just run laps down black and the blue that has all of the tabletops...walk a hill, who cares. The big thing is that everyone has a smile on their face doing whatever they love.

78. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Stonej for this useful post:

Thread Information