Thread: Mud Riding

Thanks

Mud Riding

I decided to make this thread to maybe check up on the trials, and how people mud riding affects the trails. If any affects of mud riding on any trail post up! Also open for non- local mud riding discussion.
    I have no clue what my signature should be….

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/treydownhill/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,107 Posts
    I will put out a preemptive warning to keep this thread civil. If you search the forum, there are many threads on this subject. It could be useful to have a new one IF people will use it to educate in a civil manner. If this thread starts to go south, it will most likely get closed and removed quickly.

carry on. :o)
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

3. The following 9 users say "Thank You" to Chewieez for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    #$%! **moderated**

5. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    It ruts the trail out, it causes undo man hours of work to fix. It trashes your bike. It isn't fun. I could go on and on but this covers it for me.
    I am Facebook challenged.

7. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Ruts aren't helpful. I could tell a little bit at Blankets Creek, Georgia. It was getting a rutted down a bit. It isn't too bad, but we don't want this kinda stuff on like wabash at PW

Thanks
    A bit OT, but has anybody noticed that the picture in the title section of this site at the top of the page shows a bike rider with muddy shoes and muddy tires on a muddy trail? Just an observation.

10. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to BEtheMB for this useful post:

Thanks

Re: Mud Riding

Can we stop beating this dead horse yet?
    --
    stephen

Mountain Biking is 80% mental, 40% physical, and 20% skills... and that may add up to more than 100%, but I don't know.. I hit my head on a tree this weekend.

12. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to drwx for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Short answer, mud riding does affect the trails because it destroys the trail tread. You have trail tread all over you and your bike. Some places this is fine but a lot of places do not allow mud riding because it affects the longevity of the trail tread, not to mention the added man hours/cost to fix. That being said if a trail is tacky/dry but a few spots are wet I would not consider that mud riding, those are spots that need to be fixed so they drain better and dry the same as the rest of the trail tread.

Rule of thumb I use: If you and your bike are not picking up mud while riding normally you are fine, otherwise the trails are too wet to ride. Obvious exceptions are water crossings and wet spots not drying properly as stated before.

Like Robert said, I am not a big fan of having to wash off my bike and drive train after riding. Not to mention the accelerated wear on your crankset, chain and cassette (sprocket) from dirt/sand on your chain. But to each their own.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

15. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    Can we stop beating this dead horse yet?
    It's been dead for awhile...only thing left is the stink.
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

17. The following user says "Thank You" to twolfcon for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5cRhVM-gqY

Boy that looks like such good fun. Yeah Right. Go for it. I couldn't resist. Please forgive me.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BEtheMB View Post
    A bit OT, but has anybody noticed that the picture in the title section of this site at the top of the page shows a bike rider with muddy shoes and muddy tires on a muddy trail? Just an observation.
    O' come on, that pic was probably taken on a race day, you know its the day when most of the people that complain about mud riding decide its ok because its race day

20. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to outman for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outman View Post
    O' come on, that pic was probably taken on a race day, you know its the day when most of the people that complain about mud riding decide its ok because its race day
    That was taken at a DSG race, which is on a private trail.
    Mike

www.rideforreading.org

08' Trek Fuel EX 8
    08' Trek 1.2 Road Bike

Thanks

Mud Riding

Quote Originally Posted by outman View Post
    My point exactly on another thread: what's really more important - the race or the trail?!

Middle TN Gravity Pics / Vids

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

23. The following user says "Thank You" to Requiem for this useful post:

Thanks
    Guys, you are only allowed to have one opinion on this message board! If you reveal any variance you will be called names and even worse...shunned!

25. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks

Mud Riding

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Guys, you are only allowed to have one opinion on this message board! If you reveal any variance you will be called names and even worse...shunned!
    Who's riding the fence? We may have a politician in the making.

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

27. The following user says "Thank You" to Requiem for this useful post:

Thanks
    Totally not following that about on the fence. My stance has been - I don't mud ride because it is not fun - at least in Middle Tennessee. I think the whole mud ride thing is overblown since there has been mud riding for years and yet we still have trails and most of the damage is erosion and poor design. Ruts seems to fix themselves in most cases in the spring and all trails require maintenance at least once a year anyway. I also don't believe you can stop mud riding through this forum (if history is a teacher) and efforts would be better spent elsewhere. Only through an active land manager who will actually close the trail can this be accomplished.

Posts that are highly critical of mud riders were never a factor in the development of my viewpoints or opinions, rather an XTR derailleur so packed with mud it exploded was. So, I think this is something that people will figure out. It is my opinion these "you are stupid because you mud ride posts" do more to alienate and turn people off then to keep them from mud-riding. These are my thoughts and mine alone, these are not intended to inflame. But if this is a discussion board, then let's have a discussion.
    Last edited by Uzzi; 11-04-2013 at 02:00 PM.

29. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks

Mud Riding

I was under the impression you were saying they are not for mud riding and saying that they are for it under a different post.

Agreed nothing beneficial will come of these posts, especially since a lot of mud riders are not even on this forum. We could always use gates like at MB and have nearby stewards keep an eye on the trail ... But nothing is going to stop someone if the priority is there riding over the trails longevity.

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

31. The following user says "Thank You" to Requiem for this useful post:

Thanks
    I am not sure about "they" , but you are right about a double standard in that sense. The belief is (and I'm not saying I agree or disagree) that the benefit of the event out weighs any damage done to the trail, if any. The promoter is supposed to leave the trail in as good of shape as they found it. Usually, at least with Hamilton Creek, that is the main reason so much work was done out there this year, because of the I AM MOUNTAIN event.

People not from Middle Tennessee hear these points of view about mud riding and they are like...what? We have a different type of soil and most trails are sitting on bedrock with about 4 inches of soil. In Florida right after a rain is the BEST time to ride! Other places, if you don't ride when it's wet you wouldn't ride at all.

I think there is a belief that there is a difference between a planned event where schedules, sponsors, travel etc are involved that in order to have events, they must risk doing it on a rainy day. I can tell you first hand NO promoter WANTS their event to happen in poor, muddy conditions. (Except for Muddy Buddy) It's either risk having it on a rainy day (planned months or a year in advance) or not have any events at all.
    Last edited by Uzzi; 11-04-2013 at 02:07 PM.

33. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks

Mud Riding

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    I can tell you first hand NO promoter WANTS their event to happen in poor, muddy conditions. (Except for Muddy Buddy) It's either risk having it on a rainy day (planned months or a year in advance) or not have any events at all.
    Or reschedule for another day.

'14 Turner Burner
    '08 Turner DHR

35. The following user says "Thank You" to Requiem for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Yes, the bike may show mud but like Twolf said, it was from a ride on a trail that is privately owned and on private land. It is not a public trail, in a metro Park. The land owners of said trail put on the race and decided to run it rain or shine. But yes it may send some mixed signals since the photo doesn't denote it's location and details. I remember when someone (maybe IMBA or subaru) ran an ad that showed muddy riding and they got a lot of flack for setting a bad example. But again, that would be a bad example of how to treat trails in certain areas, not nationwide, and on land that is public or where the land owner doesn't want mud riding.

Every locale has different types of soil and thus some places can handle wet riding, and some can't. We are stuck with lousy dirt here as far as it's water shedding abilities. We're lucky that we have so many available trails (something like 8 trails within 1.25 hour drive of Nashville) and some handle water well, like MB, some handle it terribly.

I think one thing that helps is to know the trail, know the land, the rules and be respectful. We don't HAVE to be allowed to have so many trails at our disposal. We should try our best to keep doing things that will help us get MORE trails. Will riding in the mud, and causing hours of volunteer trail work make us look good to future, potential land owners? Sure much damage is fixable, but wouldn't it be nice to be riding or building new trail with our limited volunteer hours? We won't get the attention of all through this forum but we have the attention of many, and the more educated everyone is, the better they can explain things to new riders or experienced rides who are not on this forum.
    Greg Lawrence
    SORBA Member

Quiring Ti 29er singlespeed
    Surly Crosscheck
    Soma 4one5 Polo bike

Check out my wife's jewelry line:
    FreshieandZero

37. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Chewieez for this useful post:

Thanks
    Last time I rode Cane Ridge was in the mud. It was in the fall and the trail held up well. It was leafy and slick, but my tires didn't bury into the dirt. Unlike Cane Ridge during the summer it splatters all over you and ruins the trial. It depends on how the conditions are. Note: Chickasaw doesn't drain well. do NOT mud ride that. One time i rode chickasaw a week and a half after it rained and there was still mud puddles.

Thanks
    Yawn Yawn................
    If you aint sweating you aint working!!!!
    (W)

2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    2010 Trek Fuel EX-5
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road Bike

40. The following user says "Thank You" to drillman for this useful post:

Thread Information