Thread: Percy Warner Racing

Thanks

Percy Warner Racing

So after having this splendid trail open up, the first thing that comes to mind is- races? I was wondering if/when a race will happen at PW and so forth.
    I have no clue what my signature should be….

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/treydownhill/

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    I would love to have some fun timed races down blue or black or the Wabash trails
    Last edited by Uzzi; 11-20-2013 at 03:41 PM.

3. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Bam. I'm in

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Would be dang near impossible to have an XC race there due to the trails design.
    I am Facebook challenged.

6. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts

RE: Percy Warner Racing

You could do time trail races on each loop. Have a set course and do one loop, than travel to the next loop, time that loop, travel to the next and so on. Only time the loops and not the the in-betweens, similar to how Enduro is timed.
    Sent from my Atari 2600

8. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Thanks
    yeah, I'm saying though something organized. Like a the monty bell and lock 4 challenge. Where its in the USA cycling catalogs.

Thanks
    Chris is onto it. The way to have races at PWP is to have a Summer time trial series like the SORBA Huntsville group does at Monte Sano. Organized, sure, but I don't think it could be anything on the USAC schedule. Just a weekly series of a set number of short TT's with a modest entry fee. One week it could be the Hookman trail, another week it could be Toybox, etc., etc. The Huntsville group does it on Thursdays for 10 weeks and they do each route twice. So 2 races on each of 5 different routes. A rider takes their fastest time on each route. Lowest overall times at the end of the series wins in whatever categories the organizers have decided on. Most of the racers don't take it too seriously - it's just about fun and community building - and they have quite a lot of people participating now, after doing it 2 or 3 years running. The way they do it is to split the entry fees and just give cash prizes at the end.

After everyone has run the route, most of them just hang out and drink beer, barbecue etc. Of course, we can't hang out and drink beer at PWP (even those of us old enough to drink *ahem), but allegedly there is a clubhouse coming..., and unlike at Monte Sano, post-race night riding is an option here.
    Graham

'08 Specialized Epic Comp
    '00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

11. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to graham722 for this useful post:

Thanks

Percy Warner Racing

Haha
    It's not that bad

13. The following 7 users say "Thank You" to pump track jim for this useful post:

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Clarifying question .. Can I not have a post ride beer in the parking lot?

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post
    Its OK by me.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

16. The following user says "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlechris View Post
    ok by me too, but not with Park Police. Alcohol is not permitted without getting permits for an event, such as they do at steeplechase. I think it requires having officers present. But no, as far as hanging out in the parking lot, I'd put it in a cup...
    Graham

'08 Specialized Epic Comp
    '00 Fisher Kaitai
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.0

18. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to graham722 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Dont forget there will be a clubhouse with beer early next year. So you can just go in there and have some beers.

Open containers of alcohol may be a problem in Metro Parks. I am not sure of the rule for individuals but for events and the like you have to get a permit, have security, police, etc... there are a lot of hoops. Beer at the clubhouse sounds much simpler and easier, unless it is a big event like the opening day back in October.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks

Percy Warner Racing

How did this turn in to a "guideline to drinking beer in the park" thread?
    It's not that bad

21. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to pump track jim for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pump track jim View Post
    As I understand it, beer is synonymous with mountain biking.
    I am Facebook challenged.

23. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pump track jim View Post
    From Grahams post above where he said this

After everyone has run the route, most of them just hang out and drink beer, barbecue etc. Of course, we can't hang out and drink beer at PWP (even those of us old enough to drink *ahem)

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

Thanks

Percy Warner Racing

I made this remark because the OP is 12. I wasn't being literal Chris but thanks for clearing that up for me.
    It's not that bad

26. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to pump track jim for this useful post:

Thanks
    I don't see why a combined loop of Hookman and Toybox couldn't be worked out. You would have a 5 mile lap, two for beginner, 3 for Cat 2 and 4 for expert. It would be a fun race. Then TT down the black trail.

Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done! They said the same thing about Hamilton Creek.

28. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks

Percy Warner Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    I don't see why a combined loop of Hookman and Toybox couldn't be worked out. You would have a 5 mile lap, two for beginner, 3 for Cat 2 and 4 for expert. It would be a fun race. Then TT down the black trail.

Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done! They said the same thing about Hamilton Creek.
    That would work. You'd need to run one of the loops backwards to keep from crossing traffic.
    It's not that bad

Thanks
    yeah run Toybox backwards. Or you can run them as normal and the two would cross but every one would be running in the same direction on the connector so not too big a deal...

Thanks
    If you run toybox backwards you would negate the berms on the downhill side of the trail. I think Hookman would be interesting backwards. My two cents
    SORBA - IMBA Member
    Never Never Never Give Up

Niner Rip 9
    Niner Jet 9
    Niner ROS 9

32. The following user says "Thank You" to Username for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Well dont forget the trail head will be moving down to the bottom of green early next year. It would be interesting to see how traffic would work if we did a figure 8 kind of pattern from toybox to hookman then back out. The shared trail would be traveling in the same direction the only issue would be possible congestion in that section. Neat idea for sure.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks
    Rubbish. I think you'd do best to run it enduro style. Start time when you take off up the loop, end it when you get back to the trunk, give them ~10 minutes to get to the next loop start. That way no one is racing on the trunk.

Thanks
    I think the original question was can we make a TBRA type race at PWP - the answer is yes, easily. Trunk trail is wide enough that it could be two way for a short distance. Hookman would probably have to be run backwards if you wanted to take advantage of the Toybox berms. Making it fit an existing format makes if possible to get the USAC insurance needed to run a race. A unique format type event would certainly work, but the question and challenge of insurance always comes up. Metro requires 1 million in liability.

Darryl has talked about doing TTs during the summer not only for fun, but to raise money for the club. $2 bucks gets you in, winner gets half, Sorba gets half. I could see that happening on the flow or blue/black trails and would be a lot of fun.

Or, there is Strava.

36. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    I like the figure 8/demolition derby option!

Gary

38. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to homer for this useful post:

IMBA_SORBA is offline Show your Trail Love & Join/Renew...We can't go on without you!
    IMBA-SORBA Middle TN is a 501 c3 non for profit volunteer supported organization, who's mission is to advocate mountain biking and sustainable mountai
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Would be dang near impossible to have an XC race there due to the trails design.
    Very True. We are planning TT series in the spring that would allow most of the trail to remain open and offer a closed course on one loop, perhaps hookman.

40. The following 6 users say "Thank You" to IMBA_SORBA for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post

How about building a parallel trunk. Seems like the perfect solution to two way traffic also. It could probably be built in two days with a D-3 dozer or mini-excavator with a blade. Looks like that's what they used.

Steve
    Big Caveman - 2012 Specialized Epic Expert 29er and 2006 Santacruz Superlight - custom burple color
    Little Caveman - 2010 Voodoo Hoodoo 26'er - Steel is Still Real / custom build

…but on Voyage 34, he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing (Porcupine Tree).

Friends of Shutes Branch Blog
    http://shutesbranchmtb.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TNcaveman View Post
    How about building a parallel trunk. Seems like the perfect solution to two way traffic also. It could probably be built in two days with a D-3 dozer or mini-excavator with a blade. Looks like that's what they used.

Steve
    Traffic can be annoying, but I'm not gonna be picky. Eventually traffic will die down.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 491 Posts
    Wahoo!!! The TT and/or Enduro options are part of the plan. Any IMBA-SORBA members interested in being on Event/Race Commitee should chime in. We have other fund raisers/socials for winter/spring as well.
    email me at trails@sorbamidtn.org if you are a member and interested.

Had a good chat with Michael/TBRA contact as well and we can determine best way to complement and keep cost down for racers.

We can do a group email and get planning. There are many models and a 6 week series can offer discounts for members while offering membership worked into full price of series. 6th race would be GP finals. could mix up TT and race style within series and maybe utilize a different trail (HC, CR, etc...).

The trouble with runnning a sections backwards is that racers want to practice. you can't practice backwards on a one direction trail the other days of the year. Race commitee can discuss details and Parks/land manager will be at the table and will have to approve any/all events.

Quote Originally Posted by TNcaveman View Post

Steve
    I would NOT plan on ANY trail changes such as suggested. The trail was designed this way for many reasons and we will utilize exisitng trails "as is" with new trailhead opening this winter. Don't forget about Cane Ridge and evolving opportunites with more trail soon.
    Last edited by dirtdog; 11-24-2013 at 10:21 AM.

44. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to dirtdog for this useful post:

Thanks
    I just don't see they type of excitement around racing at Cane Ridge as opposed to PWP.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts
    I don't think he is talking about racing at Cane Ridge. I think he is telling those that want to build more trails, there are opportunities to build at Cane Ridge.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by utarch00 View Post
    I don't think he is talking about racing at Cane Ridge. I think he is telling those that want to build more trails, there are opportunities to build at Cane Ridge.
    You talking about working?

Lance Bowers

2018 Surly ECR 29+
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2013 Soma Fab Double Cross Disc

Thanks
    I was totally unaware that I was able to volunteer my time to make more XC trails! Yes!

Thread Information