Thread: Sorba Trail Conditions Page

Thanks

Sorba Trail Conditions Page

Thinking of going out there this afternoon, any idea if it's open? SORBA hasn't been updated as promised.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylevee View Post
    Thinking of going out there this afternoon, any idea if it's open? SORBA hasn't been updated as promised.
    The site still says it's closed. If http://trails.sorbamidtn.org says it's closed, it doesn't matter how long ago that status was set, it's considered closed. There's a group of people looking at heading to MB tomorrow if that makes you feel any better. If you haven't ridden there, it's a good place to ride with a group your first time out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylevee View Post
    Alert!
    Cotharyus is correct. There is a small group of 100% volunteers that monitor these trails. All of which have "real" jobs and limited time to visit every trail. Much of the status is based upon years of knowledge/experience (not necessarily my own) of local trails and how they react to local weather conditions.

I stopped by Cane Ridge on my way home and saw significant freeze/thaw evidence/damage. I have also updated the SORBA site although trail still remains Closed. I didn't update any of the others because I don't have first hand knowledge, but please assume that they too will remain closed until SORBA site changes them to Open.

Hijack not intended. Just information for clarity.

Mark

Montgomery Bell will definitely be your best option. And well worth the trip IMHO.

Thanks
    Thanks for the response, but I didn't have time to make the drive out to MB today.

The SORBA site is a great reference, and were lucky to have it. The only problem is the lack of updates, even if it is still closed it would be very helpful if the "updated" date was updated.

5. The following user says "Thank You" to Kylevee for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 643 Posts

RE: Cane Ridge Trail Conditions Here - everyone post!

Kylevee, there is no point in having current updated date if the old updated date still holds true. As Questionnark stated, those of us that updated the trail status page have real jobs and lives and can't sit there everyday and update the date so everyone can have that warm and fuzzy feeling. The current status will be as correct as possible with the resources we have available. We are not trying to steer people wrong.
    Sent from my Atari 2600

7. The following user says "Thank You" to utarch00 for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Well here is the problem - what would be different if you abandoned the site? You would see an update from a week or two weeks ago. We can't have it both ways. The site has to be trustworthy or people won't pay attention to it. For it to be trustworthy, it has to be updated pretty much everyday. We were told that trail conditions are on the site and we must obey the site, but can't ask if the site is up to date?

I mean - there is time to post up that there isn't time to update the site - wouldn't it make sense to just update the site? Just a timestamp is all people are looking for.

9. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have moved this to get it out of the CR trail conditions page.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
    Well here is the problem - what would be different if you abandoned the site? You would see an update from a week or two weeks ago. We can't have it both ways. The site has to be trustworthy or people won't pay attention to it. For it to be trustworthy, it has to be updated pretty much everyday. We were told that trail conditions are on the site and we must obey the site, but can't ask if the site is up to date?

I mean - there is time to post up that there isn't time to update the site - wouldn't it make sense to just update the site? Just a timestamp is all people are looking for.
    Here is my take on this, but ultimately WTF do I know.

Who do you want to abandon the site - you or Sorba? I am not sure I understand what the abandonment is all about. Are you saying that you can't trust the page? Why can't you trust it? Here is a scenario for you. You go to the store to purchase an item. You walk up to said item and look at the price on the package. Do you trust the price? Why would/should you? It is not timestamped with the current date, so there is no way that price can be correct. It has to be an old price. Do you go to the nearest store employee and argue with him that you will not pay that price because the date is not current. No, you pay the price because you trust that it is the correct and current price. I know this isn't an apple to apple comparison, but I think it gets the point across. You can ask if the site is up to date all you want and I think we answered that question with a sufficient answer.

You are correct, we have all of the time in the world to post up here, just to tell you that we don't have time to post up there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    I have no problem understanding what SORBA's site says at all. Unless it says open, it is closed from the date posted. There is no need to post conditions everyday unless that condition changes. What is so hard to understand? Simple and efficient.
    I am Facebook challenged.

13. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Right. If anything should be changed to make it clearer, then the last updated date could be removed. Then it's just a status, and it's what you go by. I understand you want the greatest opportunity to ride, but then, so does everyone else.

Look at it like this. The guys who put the most time and effort into these trails being available at all are the ones making the call. I won't even begin to hazard a guess as to how many days of riding those guys gave up in order for those trails to be there for everyone else. So if they *happen* to miss an opportunity to open the trails by, say, 8 hours, it's simply a matter of respect for what they've already sacrificed to honor the KNOWN status of the trail (ie closed) and do something else. Lube your chain. Ride a greenway. Read a book. But respect what's posted on the trail opening site because of what's already been done for you.

15. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    The sorba site is a great reference, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved. I'm not a programmer, but there ought to be a way to program the time stamp to say "today" so that there is no questioning how up to date the info is.

Someone from out of town who is unfamiliar with recent weather and soil conditions here may see the site was updated "# days ago" and may interpret that as the information is not current, especially if current weather is nice.

Also, the current PW sign does not list the sorba trail conditions website. It might be useful to add that link to the sign when the permanent trailhead is established. Maybe local bike shops could have stickers on their doors directing people to the trail conditions website as well. Hopefully that will help against mud riding.

Thanks to those who update the site and take care of the trails.

Thanks
    The Sorba conditions page is a great tool to check conditions. It will always let me know when all the p****** are staying home. Please do not mud ride and keep your Specialized bike nice and shiny. I will enjoy the trail the way it is meant to be. I have bit my tongue too long but the mud riding conversation madness has drove me crazy! The status page is entirely unnecessary. The vast majority do not mud ride because they don't want to get dirty. The "serious" bikers on this website are simply little babies with toys. You guys would not compete with real riders out west. Grow up and stay out of other people's business.

So mud riding damages trails? Ohh, you want to ride a super smooth trail, well, get on your road bike and stay off the trails. I have been on trails that never close and some very interesting features are formed. These features are enjoyable and will create a better rider. This is nothing more than a dream, after all, too many road bike-Specialized-Sorba-no mud riding p****** are around here.

By the way, Percy was great today....just joking!

DSM - Destroy Sorba Movement

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrider View Post
    The Sorba conditions page is a great tool to check conditions. It will always let me know when all the p****** are staying home. Please do not mud ride and keep your Specialized bike nice and shiny. I will enjoy the trail the way it is meant to be. I have bit my tongue too long but the mud riding conversation madness has drove me crazy! The status page is entirely unnecessary. The vast majority do not mud ride because they don't want to get dirty. The "serious" bikers on this website are simply little babies with toys. You guys would not compete with real riders out west. Grow up and stay out of other people's business.

So mud riding damages trails? Ohh, you want to ride a super smooth trail, well, get on your road bike and stay off the trails. I have been on trails that never close and some very interesting features are formed. These features are enjoyable and will create a better rider. This is nothing more than a dream, after all, too many road bike-Specialized-Sorba-no mud riding p****** are around here.

By the way, Percy was great today....just joking!

DSM - Destroy Sorba Movement

I would have to agree with this post in an extreme right winger sort of way. However, this kind of pure freedom is a euphoria. And one that would never work without every individual in society being 100% civil, empathetic, sympathetic, caring, loving and just following the American way...but who is to say what that way is? We are a diverse society with good and bad people extremes. This reality causes laws, regulations, and the general need for “The Man” as a society. So reality makes me smile at this post, only, because life won't and shouldn't allow it.

But this is about the trails. I don't mud ride for multiple reasons. One of the main ones is because the people who put in their blood, sweat and tears (SORBA or NOT!) to maintain our trails agree that we should not. Racing in the mud, go for it. I used to do that when I raced MotoX in my wonderful youth. May the fastest (to get up…) win. Mud racing is allowed because the promoters and trail builders (The Man) support your muddy race effort before and after the trophy presentation. And until I get my butt to Trails days (SORBA or NOT!), I'll follow what The Man does with a smile.

Regarding the SORBA site; as current Sorba member, I do feel this great site idea can improve (anything can and should try to improve). Not the date thing, though (but a simple date stamp would satisfy those asking for it). My suggestion is to add all Mid-TN trails, Sorba or not. Sorba should not segregate and eliminate the "non-SORBA trails” from reporting their conditions. The SORBA site is great, but as an organized MTB body, what we (SORBA) should do is support the area mountain bikers. And we MTB'er are blessed to have other non-SORBA trails to enjoy in the area, too. So my suggestion is that the site give condition information on all trails in the area, please. It is a no brainer, as MTB’er, that local SORBA and "other" trail maintainer organizations, share all their various resources. Train Condition site included.

Sorry for the rant...
    2014 Niner RIP 9 - Licorice Black
    2011 Niner Jet 9 - Glow in the dark Raw
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 30

IMBA_SORBA is offline Show your Trail Love & Join/Renew...We can't go on without you!
    IMBA-SORBA Middle TN is a 501 c3 non for profit volunteer supported organization, who's mission is to advocate mountain biking and sustainable mountai
    Thanks

What is freeze thaw? Thanks B.U.M.P.!

From our Friends and Volunteers at Oak Mountain in Hoover, AL - B.U.M.P.

What is freeze thaw? I found this on another forum and thought I'd share due to the time of year.

When the temperature dips below freezing at night, and goes above it during the day. Try to ride early in the morning while the ground is still frozen. Once it thaws out, the trail will be very slick, (greasy), on top from the moisture that has been forced upward during the night. As the day warms up, the trail can become soft down several inches. Which is when riders can do some serious damage, leaving ruts that stick around for a long time. Sometimes late in the evening also works for a ride after a freeze/thaw cycle, especially if it has been a sunny, warm day. Late morning, when most bikers are used to rolling into the trailhead parking lot, can be the WORST time to start a ride in the winter. Midday doesn't work during freeze/thaw!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 491 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenchito View Post
    The SORBA site is great, but as an organized MTB body, what we (SORBA) should do is support the area mountain bikers. And we MTB'er are blessed to have other non-SORBA trails to enjoy in the area, too. So my suggestion is that the site give condition information on all trails in the area, please. It is a no brainer, as MTB’er, that local SORBA and "other" trail maintainer organizations, share all their various resources. Train Condition site included.
    Not exactly a "no brainer", but we are working through some options on trails that SORBA does not steward, but supports. We also need a formal agreement (MOU) with any trail we work on as a basic and practical policy. The other tough part is having stewards on site to inspect and report, even if open, but with needed repair spots or tree removal.

We don't have the authority to "close" or suggest how to manage the other trails and are working hard to be consistent on the trails within the current scope. SORBA is also eager to support any public trail in the area.

The trail conditions page is a "resource" to offer information before driving to a given trailhead. We are not enforcement but will try and be good stewards with the professional training we have received. Thanks for the suggestions and know they are taken seriously when offered in professional manor.

21. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to dirtdog for this useful post:

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Hey Mudrider why do you sign in with a different name to put up "controversial posts" how about just using your regular screen name?

And lets keep it civil.... (pretty impressed no one attacked that one)

C

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

23. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,216 Posts
    The only thing I've learn from this post is that I'm a *****. I feel like Mudrider was talking directly to me. Oh well, you gotta be something in this world. It took me 50 years to become a *****. But I guess that's what I am.
    Did you hear the one about the guy on his death bed that said "I wish I would have worked more and rode my bike less". Said NO ONE EVER. -Jeff Scott

25. The following 5 users say "Thank You" to Dook of Moots for this useful post:

Thanks
    Why respond to MudRider? You know he is just trying to yank people's chain. MudRider is probably SuperMoto.

And I for one have never asked anyone to miss a day of riding for trail work or to check on trails or update a website. If you decide to, know it will probably be a thankless endeavor. Plenty of wet, cold days in the winter for that. I can't stand having a shovel in my hand when it's riding weather. Unless I'm building a jump.
    Last edited by Uzzi; 01-06-2014 at 07:10 PM.

27. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks

I'm kinda new to this, so I'm guessing ***** is short hand for five stars right. That's a top score isn't it, quite a complement.
    I used to wish I could read people's minds,
    Then I got a Facebook account,
    Now I'm over it.

29. The following user says "Thank You" to Sam Hill for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hey, at least the SORBA page is getting updated more regularly.

It's a much better asset, and riders are more likely to check in before riding when trail damage could occur.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 Times in 491 Posts
    Volunteers working hard to serve! Thanks AB! Expect closures tonight due to big thaw tomorrow early. Note that trail gets messy before reaching 32degs, particularly in sunlight. thanks!

32. The following user says "Thank You" to dirtdog for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Volunteers working hard to serve! Thanks AB! Expect closures tonight due to big thaw tomorrow early. Note that trail gets messy before reaching 32degs, particularly in sunlight. thanks!
    Then I am glad that I rode it tonight. Crunchy and snow covered and fun. I just rode Hookman 4 times and part of the Green. With it this cold, not wanting to be too far from my vehicle. It was a blast.
    Last edited by Robert; 01-08-2014 at 05:34 AM.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    We can add as many sites as we want to the conditions system. The issue is having eyes close to the trails to give feedback on the status of the trails when the weather is cycling around freezing or when it rains. If we add trails but have no information about their status from local people then having them on the list is worthless.

I would like to add all of the trails within the middle TN area but we have to have information support. The trails on there now are ones we have consistent information about. If you are willing to provide information please contact Dirtdog on the forms or send an email to trails@sorbamidtn.org.

As far as the timestamp information it was put in place to show some idea of when the status last changed or information was updated. During extended periods of time in the summer when it is hot and dry trails wont be updated much because their status will be awesome. Similar idea in the winter. If the trails are hovering around freezing and it is raining every few days some trails will remain closed. We are looking into tweaking some things and the timestamp may be one of them. If you have other constructive thoughts or ideas please let us know. The system was built on a basic idea so there is plenty of room for improvement.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

35. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Thanks

The one upside to global warming is that maybe one day we can make it through the winter without flogging this horse.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheezer View Post
    The one upside to global warming is that maybe one day we can make it through the winter without flogging this horse.
    Really? On the heals of the coldest weather in 30 years, and global warming is the best you've got?

Thanks
    In the SORBA page, "Avoid" is different from "Closed". My understanding is that "Avoid" is still open.

If Percy Warner is labeled "Avoid", why would SORBA recommend reporting illegal riders?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    That part of the message is just left in there so it doesnt have to be retyped. Just for informational purposes only.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks
    Austin and SORBA, great job on the trail status site, I love it. I've never looked at it when it wasn't updated recently enuff that I would not know the status is still the same by using the common sense that God gave me. As Robert stated below, it's easy as hell, the status is the same until its changed. These guys complaining are just too stupid to understand it. If your going to change it, just take the update time off completely, then it closed until it changes to open, pretty simple. Great work.
    Last edited by Syndicate; 01-19-2014 at 09:29 PM.

41. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to Syndicate for this useful post:

Thanks
    A note could be added similar to Sorba Woodstock's site. (oversees Blankets Creek in Metro ATL)

http://sorbawoodstock.org/

Note: Trail status is always up to date and accurate. The time stamp simply refers to the last time it changed. Not the last time it was updated. If it says the trails are open and the time stamp says a week ago that tells you the trails have been open for a week.

When trails are closed they are closed to everyone including foot traffic.

43. The following user says "Thank You" to davidtn for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    These guys complaining are just too stupid to understand it..
    Hurtful man, just hurtful

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtn View Post
    A note could be added similar to Sorba Woodstock's site. (oversees Blankets Creek in Metro ATL)

http://sorbawoodstock.org/

Note: Trail status is always up to date and accurate. The time stamp simply refers to the last time it changed. Not the last time it was updated. If it says the trails are open and the time stamp says a week ago that tells you the trails have been open for a week.

When trails are closed they are closed to everyone including foot traffic.
    It has been stated several times already, that this is the case. But someone always knows better, hence the reason this thread was started.

Thanks
    There is a difference between "updated" and "last change".

This is why everyone is complaining. To call it "updated" is incorrect.

Thread Information