Thread: Knee surgery today

Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 731 Posts

Knee surgery today

Got arthroscopic surgery today. Torn meniscus . But dr. Found Gout-like crystals on back of patella and other places as we'll. he only talked to my wife, since I was pretty much out of it. Also, have worn away cartilage on ends of Femur and Tibia on the outside (osteoarthritis) that he could see on X-ray and MRI, so no surprise there. Hope to be able get back to some riding eventually. Will have more info next week when discuss with doc during follow-up and stitches out.
    --Bob S.

We need you all. Please join today.
    -- -------o----------o---------o------------
    '10 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er - Seriously Loving it. -great bike.
    '05 Rnj Ano Santa Cruz Blur Classic,
    1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'
    Spc'lzd Roubaix Comp road bike

2. The following user says "Thank You" to kindacreeky for this useful post:

Thanks
    Feel better soon

4. The following user says "Thank You" to dirtdog36 for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Glad everything went well. Hope you get back into shape soon.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

6. The following user says "Thank You" to AustinB for this useful post:

Paddlechris is offline I hae developed a disdain for people...
    Mod
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 984 Posts
    Heal up fast man!

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post do not reflect those of NMB, Bill Gates, or the Internet. Void where prohibited. Paddlechris contains enough preservatives to theoretically live forever. Use of Paddlechris may be habit forming. If reading this post results in anything that lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical help immediately.

SORBAMIDTN

8. The following user says "Thank You" to Paddlechris for this useful post:

Thanks
    Went thru six of them, three for meniscus; three for cartilage repair; Stuart Smith at Tenn Ortho Alliance did partial replacements in both knees about four years back; not a problem with the knees since, but old age slowing the pace, although I still ride and work trails nearly every day. . My wear and tear was on the inside, allowing the partials; John Bruno kept me going for years before he retired and recommended Smith. Good luck Bob.

10. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to bud for this useful post:

Thanks
    Well, here's to a speedy recovery then.

12. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bud View Post
    Went thru six of them, three for meniscus; three for cartilage repair; Stuart Smith at Tenn Ortho Alliance did partial replacements in both knees about four years back; not a problem with the knees since, but old age slowing the pace, although I still ride and work trails nearly every day. . My wear and tear was on the inside, allowing the partials; John Bruno kept me going for years before he retired and recommended Smith. Good luck Bob.
    Bruno did my bicep tendon repair just before his retirement. Great dr. What is a partial replacement? My dr. This time is Pagnani. Has operated on my knee before about 10 yrs ago.
    --Bob S.

1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'

Thanks
    Stopped pain meds today and working on regaining range of motion. That hurts. But just walking does already feel better than before the surgery.
    Worried about the gout-like crystals that Doc found. Reading about gout. Sounds like it could be serious.
    Last edited by kindacreeky; 02-28-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    --Bob S.

1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'

15. The following 4 users say "Thank You" to kindacreeky for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Don't read too much about anything on the internet. It will scare the he** out of you. Just get back your range of motion and start riding again. You can do most anything when you really put your mind to it. You'll be back out there soon.
    I am Facebook challenged.

17. The following user says "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 1,513 Posts
    Just saw this Bob! Sorry you had to go through it and hope you recover as quickly as possible.

Gary

Thanks
    Hang in there man!!! I had knee surgery September 3rd (mcl) I had never had surgery before and I can't stand sitting still, so it sucked. I got pretty discouraged to say the least. I got off the meds after two days. I hate pills! I just used loads of ice, way more than recommend . Ordered myself a stretch strap online, great investment bout $12. Started out riding around the block. Moved up to riding Shelby bottoms (nice and flat). I was the pissed off guy parked at each bench resting. Took a cool pack in a hydro pack and would use it when I stopped. Got progressively better, but still a lot of pain. Keep it moving, but don't over do it. Last week was my first time since my surgery to mountain bike. Went and rode the tanasi trail system. I was able to pull all the hills, but at a much slower pace. I'm back up to bout 45 miles on the road bike, but about 4-5 mph off where I should be. I'm just now starting to see the light. The only thing that's really slacking is running. I can jog a little, but no soccer with my son yet, although that's getting better as well. Hope this helps, just don't give up, never give up!!!

All the best!

20. The following 3 users say "Thank You" to wintercreeper for this useful post:

Thanks
    Stretch out strap; OPTP: www.optp.com
    800-367-7393; this is the one I started using at the beginning of therapy, so I ordered one. I use it daily and don't know why, for the life of me, I haven't been stretching more all the time. It's the first thing kids do ( when they wake up) every moring. Makes a huge difference. The strap comes with a whole book, of stretches.

Thanks
    Hope you get well soon, and have a good rest!

--------------------------
    http://www.toyswill.com/

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Bob, I have no gout that you will be back up and riding soon.

24. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Hoping for a fast recovery for you Bob. I know you will be a model patient and your great level of fitness will help you to a speedy recovery. Let me know when you are ready to get back on the bike. I'll be recovering from a lack of riding. We can get back in shape together.

See ya on the trail.
    ERIC
    A Shutes Branch Maintainer

Cannondale Trigger 29er 3

VOODOO Dambala 29" Ridged SS

Vintage MASI SS

Soma San Marcos, with vary nice shiny bits. My favorite ride!

Panasonic Tourist 3 speed cruiser (Way cool)

26. The following user says "Thank You" to e-fish for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wintercreeper View Post
    Stretch out strap; OPTP: www.optp.com
    800-367-7393; this is the one I started using at the beginning of therapy, so I ordered one. I use it daily and don't know why, for the life of me, I haven't been stretching more all the time. It's the first thing kids do ( when they wake up) every moring. Makes a huge difference. The strap comes with a whole book, of stretches.
    I used one yesterday at PT. Nice device. Thought about making one.
    --Bob S.

1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'

Thanks
    Winter creeper, what type injury & surgery? Appreciate u sharing your experience.
    --Bob S.

1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'

Thanks
    Saw Doc today. He thinks crystals are calcium, not urate. So he thinks more likely pseudo gout. Gout, he said almost always strikes first in the foot. Only rarely the knees. I guess good news but not known what causes pseudo gout and no treatment. Doc found messed up meniscus with lots of calcium covering everything. Some obvious bare bone (osteoarthritis) places that will continue to cause pain. He said that there was so much messed up that it will take my knee longer than usual to recover from swelling and trauma. Like 6 wks elevate as often as possible vs most patients needing like 2-3 weeks.
    --Bob S.

1987 Fat Chance 'Wicked'

30. The following user says "Thank You" to kindacreeky for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    And that is why they call it practicing medicine.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 439 Posts
    Well some good news I suppose. Are they going to put you on a reduced calcium diet? Do you eat a lot of dairy? It is odd they were in your knee. Usually with too much calcium you will end up with bone spurs in your feet, I guess similar to gout. But Robert is right it seems like medicine changes every year in terms of causes and effects.
    -Austin

IMBA-SORBA Member - Join @ http://sorbamidtn.org/ and help us build trails

Thanks

Knee surgery today

Psuedogout (fancy term: Calcium Pyrophosphate Crystal Deposition Disease) is not as well understood as gout is because there are multiple reasons to have deposits of these crystals. The basic thought is it is a combination of the normal aging process along with something that causes more calcification of the tissues, such as injury or sometimes other genetic medical conditions. The most common risk factors for having it are previous surgeries and trauma to or overuse of the joints. A low calcium diet wouldn't affect it. I hope you have a speedy recovery, definitely don't push it and once you're back to using it more it should be easier to see what symptoms are related to osteoarthritis and which are related to pseudogout. Personally (without really knowing much about your case) I would say the osteoarthritis caused more irritation around the knee which led to the calcium crystals, not the other way around.

34. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to commodoremd for this useful post:

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Pseudogout - I'm going to start using that in sentences. Bob! Praying for a quick recovery for you!

36. The following user says "Thank You" to Uzzi for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kindacreeky View Post
    Winter creeper, what type injury & surgery? Appreciate u sharing your experience.
    I tore my mcl and meniscus in a triathlon. I was running on a trail, went down a hill and turned a curve with my body, but my knee stayed strait. Loud Pop! I was having swelling before, so I think the meniscus was already torn. The doctor said I had loads of arthridus and little bits floating around in my knee. I could see it all on the mri. I was having to ice my knee after riding, before my surgery, but I dont have to now. I never go to the doctor, or have had any other surgery or health problems. I think if I would have gone to the doctor earlier, I would not have had such a serious injury. My knee was already weak and I just pushed it too far. I've been really rough on my knees, so I knew I had arthridus and pretty much just self diagnosed it as being that. Lesson learned. I was pretty depressed with the recovery time, because you see all the football players rush back into the game. I have now come to the conclusion, that they are much younger than me, and have a full time job of recovering. It does get better, trust me. I thought I was really done a couple weeks after the surgery. Then I decided I was tougher than that, and practiced what I preach to my kids. I'd be outside splitting wood with my crutches leaned up by a tree. Just have to listen to your body and know your limitations. Your knee will definately let you know when it needs a rest. After you get that first full rotation on the bike, it's on! I would let my good leg do all the work, and just kind of let the other do the motions, while riding around the block. No hills though, and stay in granny gear. By the way, I was told not to be riding, so I just didn't tell them. Just dont over do it, and listen to your body, and it will be fine. I had just heard so many stories, of people sitting around too long and never regaining full motion. I have full motion now, just working on the strength. I wish you a speedy recovery brother! None of this may work for you, but it did help me, if nothing else, improving my cycling, day by day,was a big mental boost.
    Now the stratch strap. I started out trying to make one. I found if difficult to do the stitching. I really didn't have a needle that was industrial enough to go through the material without bending. I finally looked on line and saw they were only $12-$15 and said screw this crap! You may have more patience than me LOL! Hope this helps. I'm no doctor or expert, to say the least, but more than happy to help out in any way I can. Good Luck!!

38. The following user says "Thank You" to wintercreeper for this useful post:

Thread Information