Thread: Golden Mountain Park

Thanks

Golden Mountain Park

Anyone been out here? This place sounds like something along the lines of Windrock. It's not set up for anything downhill other then the stepper pre existing off road trails. I have contacted them once in regards of using a mountain bike on the trails and they said as long as you sign a waiver have fun. There's a few sections I scouted out on the map that would be adequate for shuttling. I haven't been out there yet, but plan on checking it out this weekend.

This is no where near the size of Windrock nor the elevation change but hey it could be something. If it seems worth it I'm going to ask about building a trail or two. I only live 10-15 mins away so it'd be worth it to me.

Official Site: http://www.goldenmountainpark.com/

Park Map: http://www.goldenmountainpark.com/fo...Park%20Map.pdf

Uzzi is offline You have ticks on you because you didn't weed eat the trail
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,005 Posts
    It says "Mountain Biking" but doesn't seem to have may details. Would love to hear more about this place.

Thanks
    hopefully it is dh or a good track! Never heard of this place before. If you build a trail make a advanced line!
    I have no clue what my signature should be….

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/treydownhill/

Thanks
    I doubt there's much of anything already there for mountain biking, especially for DH. If there's a chance of building any type of trails I will post up here looking for any helping hands. I will also post some pictures so you guys have an idea of the landscape. There does't appear to be a lot of space for a very long trail but maybe if we carve out a nice flowy advanced line with some gnarly features it'd be worth the time and effort. We'll see!

5. The following user says "Thank You" to Triangle for this useful post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    Look at the printable park map and trail descriptions. ORV trails.
    Last edited by Robert; 05-24-2014 at 06:17 PM.
    I am Facebook challenged.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Triangle View Post
    It's not set up for anything downhill other then the stepper pre existing off road trails.
    They do allow mountain biking, however it doesn't appear they offer any mountain bike specific trails. The important part is they allow mountain bikes on any trail.
    Last edited by Triangle; 05-26-2014 at 12:33 AM.

Thanks
    OffRoad_15.jpg

Going back out with a friend tomorrow to scout out a spot for the first line. The idea is to have 2 or 3 lines all available for shuttle. They wont be too long but there will be something more DH/FR oriented in Mid Tenn. This place is exactly 1 hour closer than Windrock from Nashville and roughly 30 mins closer than TTC.
    Last edited by Triangle; 07-03-2014 at 09:40 PM.

9. The following user says "Thank You" to Triangle for this useful post:

Thanks
    Well guys it looks like we have a nice hidden spot out here. Easy shuttle acces to already enjoyable pre existing trails. This place is something to be checked out. I got the go ahead to put in some jumps and build some berms. I'd like for some one that really knows what they are doing to help with the direction of the park. This is a lot for one man so any helping hands would be appreciated as well.

Hit me with some questions.

11. The following user says "Thank You" to Triangle for this useful post:

Thanks
    I have built several miles of cx trails on private property and I also know Golden Mtn really well. I cllimb the road next to it every time I ride the road. its 4.2 miles from my house to be exact.
    I will not be able to support you in what you looking to do there because I do not do DH and have on intentions on trying it in the future. I also do not know but one person that does that around here. That being said, my first concern lies with the park. The park is well known among rock crawlers and ATV riders and they primarily cater to those groups exclusively. So, how do you or the park staff plan on keeping those groups off the trails you speaking of. It will not take but one run upwards of those type vehicles to ruin a trail and all its features. The second question I have is, who are you building the trails for? How many people you know are equipped or are ready for it. Knowing the park and its layout and elevation spans, I doubt that what you can do there will or can compete with TTC or windrock and therefore attract any riders from elsewhere.
    I am not trying to sound negative but those are facts and questions that must be answered before you try to move forward. I do have many other questions to be answered for but they irrelevant at this point until the above are answered.
    George
    ---------------------

13. The following user says "Thank You" to gszman for this useful post:

Thanks
    It is what it is. I rode all over it today and talked to some of the people rock climbing and they seemed very interested in what I was doing and just laid back in general. One can't expect every rock climber to support what we are doing but it's not too high traffic of a mountain. Out in Johnson city at buffalo it's a much more popular riding area for downhillers, atv's, and dirt bikes. The trail is a lot more narrow with numerous blind turns. You ride at your own risk but things always seem to run smoothly.

This isn't a place to compete or ever compete with Windrock or TTC and I want to make that perfectly clear. With that being said it's a great place to string together some gnarly lines with a shuttle. There's some crazy good terain to cut through that would be for downhill use only. How will it be downhill only? Jeeps aren't going to plow through trees. All the jumps and berms will be in wooded sections with the technical stuff being though the pre existing trails. They are already perfectly set up for "pick your line" type of riding. To me that's what downhill is all about.

I'm just trying to take a step and have somewhere to ride on a regular basis. It's not for everyone. I doubt Windrock or TTC had many downhillers around that area before those parks opening. Who's to say that they even do now. Downhillers travel. A lot of the community isn't on top Whistler or Beech Mountain.

The grounds keeper is a great guy and mostly concerned about getting more people out to enjoy the park. He has interest outside of just downhill/freestyle. He'd like to make a pump track for bmx style bikes. Why not? He's got the equipment and resources to do so. There's plenty of land to cut out a XC trail as well. Once again why not? The land is there, it just takes people motivated enough to make it happen. I hear a lot of people complaining about not having places to ride around this area (not calling anyone out on here because I don't know any of you) but won't go out in the woods with a rake and shovel.

Downhillers are the rebels of the mountain biking community. Riding places that bikes just don't belong. Bikes might not belong at Golden Mountain but **** if I didn't have a blast riding there all day.

15. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Triangle for this useful post:

Thanks
    I will definitely join you out there! That place isn't real close to me house and is quite a drive, but I wouldn't mind doing it every once in a while. I don't have a downhill specific MTB, but I'll drop the post on my Camber and give it Hell, that's for sure! A pump track out there would also be a ton of fun! If you can get with the land owner and schedule a build day, count me in!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 917 Posts
    I am Facebook challenged.

18. The following 2 users say "Thank You" to Robert for this useful post:

Thanks
    I can't see myself directly involved in a project that's over 2 hours away from me. But it's worth noting that if I were involved, I would also be primarily concerned with "other" traffic in the areas of these trails. And not just from a stand point of what the other traffic would do to bike specific trail features. A down hill bike encountering a fast moving uphill 4 wheeler (ATV) has resulted in the death of the person on the bike - and yes, they were wearing proper safety equipment. All I'm saying is that if you really want to make this happen, I would seek some assurance that the trails you'll be riding on at least be marked in some way to alert other potential users that you might be there.

20. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbookingtn View Post
    I will definitely join you out there! That place isn't real close to me house and is quite a drive, but I wouldn't mind doing it every once in a while. I don't have a downhill specific MTB, but I'll drop the post on my Camber and give it Hell, that's for sure! A pump track out there would also be a ton of fun! If you can get with the land owner and schedule a build day, count me in!
    There's really not much going on out there so basically any weekend would be fine. I personally don't have any interest in the pump track. All my time and effort will be put toward the downhill sections. However a nice pump track would be cool and probably draw more people but someone with some expertise in that discipline would have to come in.

Thank's for the interest, you're counted in!
    Last edited by Triangle; 07-06-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Beer.jpg All that popcorn will make ya awfully thirsty, this first round is on me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I can't see myself directly involved in a project that's over 2 hours away from me. But it's worth noting that if I were involved, I would also be primarily concerned with "other" traffic in the areas of these trails. And not just from a stand point of what the other traffic would do to bike specific trail features. A down hill bike encountering a fast moving uphill 4 wheeler (ATV) has resulted in the death of the person on the bike - and yes, they were wearing proper safety equipment. All I'm saying is that if you really want to make this happen, I would seek some assurance that the trails you'll be riding on at least be marked in some way to alert other potential users that you might be there.
    All bike specific features would be in wooded areas taped off and labeled accordingly. The park does not see incredibly high levels of traffic, especially not on the sections we would use for the bikes. I'm not trying to make this place something it's not. If you live within a hours drive and would like to enjoy some real downhill action then you should most certainly check it out. Once again, it's not for everyone and it's most definitely not beginner friendly. Personally, after only adding a couple jumps and berms in the wooded sections it will be more than adequate. I'm just trying to give people an alternative to driving the distance to TTC or Windrock. It's up to you if the extra driving times will be worth it.

Thanks
    Fair enough. It's a sentiment I understand. I just don't want to see any unnecessarily tragic endings to what's going on out there. Since it's being marked, that's a good start. Making sure everyone who rides it also knows to be on the lookout for other traffic regardless of markings will also help. Otherwise, I'm all for whoever wants to being able to set something up out there, especially since it seems to have some support (or at least approval) from the owner. I've been the one scraping around trying to put together some place close to home to ride before, and I'll be lending my moral support from here. Heck, you never know when I might end up near Sparta for some silly reason, and just throw a bike in the truck since y'all are working on this.

25. The following user says "Thank You" to Cotharyus for this useful post:

Thanks
    Man, I live about 15 mins from G.M. I've wheeled there a bunch of times. I've been out of riding for a couple years, but have started riding again, trying to build myself back up. I was never a true DH'er, but G.M. has potential for all-mountian riding. I'd be down to help you when I can. You can PM me with info.
    CHIEF

27. The following user says "Thank You" to VTOne for this useful post:

Thanks
    All trail heads and exits will be clearly taped and marked. Riders will still have to sign a waiver and understand that they will be riding at their own risk.

This is true, all mountain and enduro riding would fit in great here. There's plenty of land for some good XC riding as well. It's just up to someone to get out there and do it. I ride a Rocky Mountain Flatline so I'm focused on making some gnarly stuff. That being said I'd still be more than eager to help out anyone who would like to work in different disciplines.

Hey VTOne, I sent you a PM with my number. I live in Cookeville as well, roughly the same distance away from the park. Let's get you on a downhill bike!

Thanks
    Looks like it will be a rainy weekend but I'm gonna try and sneak in a few hours of digging if possible.

Thanks
    With a perfect weekend ahead I plan on being out here both Saturday and Sunday. Anyone interested in checking things out?

Thanks
    Do you have any trails rideable yet?
    I have no clue what my signature should be….

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/treydownhill/

Thanks
    l never had any luck finding help last year. Not sure how many people are on these forums from Cookeville, Sparta, and the surrounding areas but I encourage you to check this place out. I have 2 other people that I regularly ride with now that want to go soon to possibly resume trail building.

On another note there's a line I can show those who are interested that is inside the Cookeville city limits. It's all downhill, nothing steep, fun and quick.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Triangle View Post
    l never had any luck finding help last year.
    This is a common problem when it comes to building trails ....

Thanks
    I have to admit it makes things a bit discouraging. I've yet to figure out where all the locals are hiding out.

Thanks
    Yeah. There are dozens of mountain bikers in the Clarksville area. Of the, lets say 50, just to be conservative, maybe 10 of them have shown up for work days, only about 5 of them with any regularity, and rarely more than one or two of them at a time. And that's with an organized facebook group I post workdays to. So, don't let it get you down. If you build it, I guarantee you they'll show up. When they start showing up, you can politely harass them in that way that only trail builders can, and see if you can get some of them to pick up a shovel and help. Don't hold your breath though. Never hold your breath. Just keep building.

Thread Information